PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Boston's subways. 'Professional' Cristi in a skirt suit.

Cristi
10-30-2010, 03:12 PM
(photo at bottom)

I've been getting a bit tire of the 'same old routine' when going out dressed. Shopping at the same stores, driving the same roads. Nothing new or exciting.

Earlier this week I found myself with a day off and wanted to do something new. I started with my decision of what to wear. Something cute? Casual? I settled on my nice and very comfortable grey wool skirt suit, which I've never really worn 'out' before. (I've attached a photo of the skirt taken a few years ago. Picture this with better hair style, nicer shoes and other improvements).

With that decision made, where would it be appropriate to wear such an outfit? Well, how about the big city? :)

I live about a 2-1/2 hour drive from Boston and have never even considered going there en femme before but as soon at the thought entered my head, I couldn't shake it. When I'd decided to go through with it, I realize that it meant something even more. Whenever I go to Boston, I hate the traffic and usually park far outside the city and take the subway in. Would I dare do the same thing dressed? To be so far away from the safety of my car?

Well, the idea took root in my head and I started making my plans. Before I knew it, morning was here and I was shaved, showered and ready to dress.

I spent a lot of time using the curling iron on my hair, but left it up in bobby pins and clips so it would be 'fresh' looking when I got to my destination. It would mean driving with others on the road being able to see it like that, but that wasn't an issue.

The other thing I did that I never did before was actually attach my forms with adhesive instead of just setting them in my bra. After I shaved, used the preparation adhesive wipes on my skin then put the adhesive tabs on and pressed the forms to my chest they were attached so strongly that it hurt a bit when I tested them by trying to peel one off (like ripping off a bandaid). The weight of them pulling on my skin was a bit uncomfortable until I put on my underwire bra to take up some of the weight.

Before I knew it I was ready to leave. The last decision I made was to NOT bring any 'backup' male clothes with me. This trip would be totally en femme. If anything happened along the way, I would just have to deal with it as I was dressed.

I felt so feminine as I walked out to the car in my grey skirt suit with knee length skirt, red blouse, necklace and matching earings, black hose and flats. Over it all I had a nice black dress coat.

I put my purse and a few odds and ends into the car, smoothed my skirt under my as I got in, and hit the road.

Like I'd said, it was a 2.5 hour drive to Boston (just over 2 hours to the subway station). For those who know the area, I was aiming for the Alwife station, the far Western end of the red line. All the way down, I still didn't know if I was going to go through with it. Once I got on a train, I'd be totally committed to the trip, no turning back and rushing back to the car which is always an option on other trips.

The two hours passed before I knew it and I was pulling into the parking garage at the station. It was mid-afternoon so the garage was nearly full, meaning I had to park on a high floor and far away from the station itself. My hair was still up in pins and clips, so I took a few minutes in the car to let it all down, then stepped outside to give it a good going over with hairspray to hold it all in place. I did a last check to make sure I had everything I needed, including makeup for touch-ups during the day, then locked the car and headed toward the station.

Once you make the commitment to do something like this, it gets easier. Even by the time I'd taken a few steps, I was being passed by traffic in the garage and other pedestrians walking to or from the station. I'd made the decision to go as far as the ticked kiosks to see how comfortable I felt. That would be my last chance to turn back to the car in case things just didn't feel right.

It was a 5 minute walk across the garage, down the escalators and into the ticket area. The garage was open to the outside air and I could feel the cold air blowing on my exposed legs with an occasionally gust making its way further up.

By the time I'd gotten to the ticketing kiosks, I'd decided to go on. Nobody so far had even given me a second look. While I was buying a day-pass ticket, a tourist couple even came up to me to ask me a question which, thankfully, I was able to answer with just a 'yes' (my voice is still one of my weakest points when dressed).

Ticket in hand, I passed through the gates and took the escalator down to the platform. It felt so GOOD to be walking along in the open with people all around me, feeling the brush of my skirt against my stockings and the slight movement of my forms on my chest with every step.

I got to the platform just as the last few riders were stepping onto the waiting train. This was good, since it didn't give me too much time to get nervous about this point of no return.

I stepped onto the nearly empty train and quickly found a seat just as the doors closed. This was it! No turning back now without at least a trip to the next stop then a train in the other direction.

Having started at the far end of the line, the train was fairly empty, but at every stop more and more people got on. I was feeling quite self conscious sitting by the doors, purse on my lap and my skirt having ridden up a few inches above my knees when I sat... but still nobody gave me a second look.

I'd forgotten to look at the map in the staion so didn't know which stop I needed to transfer to a different line. I ended up guessing, but went one stop too far so I had to get off, take another train back one stop, then take the train to my final destination, 'Government Center'. This last train was very crowded and I ended up standing for the trip, shoulder to shoulder with other riders and my skirt brushing against the legs of a rider sitting beside where I was standing.

Once at my destination, I walked up the long stairway into the sunshine on the crowded plaza. I still wasn't used to the idea that I was really here, dressed as I was, now over a half hour (and at least two different trains) from my car. One thing I noticed almost right away now that I was walking in the open with a breeze was that I'd lost over 20lbs since I'd gotten this suit, and I was starting to wonder if the skirt was going to stay up! It didn't have any elastic, just a zipper and hook and was just barely small enough to be held in place above my hips. :( I wish I'd had a safety pin in my purse so I could make a quick adjustment to help hold it up.

I walked across the plaza and waited with a small crowd at the street crossing, then spent the next hour browsing through the markets at Faneuil Hall and the surrounding area. I stopped for a coffee and one shop and a pastry at another, then sat outside on a park bench watching the world go by.

After finishing, I figured that a real woman in the area dressed as I was would probably be there for business in City Hall. I decided to go in and explore for a bit.

Of course, just inside the door there was a security checkpoint, so I put my purse on the x-ray conveyor belt just like the woman in front of my did, then stepped through the scanner. I was a bit surprised when no alarms with off due to my watch, earrings, necklace and the underwires in my bra. In fact, the woman in front of me had more jewelry on than I did and made some comment to me to that effect as we both picked our purses up off the belt.

I only stayed in the building for a few minutes before heading back outside. I was in the mood for more shopping so headed toward the trains. The train to my next stop, Boston Common, was a lot more crowded, but I did get a seat between two other ladies. I had to smile when I looked to my left, then right and saw all three of us in skirts, purses on our laps, hands folded over the purse.

It was raining when I got out of the station at the Common, so I took a few minutes in the entrance to check and touch up my makeup in my compact mirror until the passing shower was over.

I walked the entire perimeter of the common, window shopping as I went and stopping in at a few stores. I bought a book at a bookstore and was treated very nicely by the young girl at the register.

After this, It was time to start heading home. Without realizing it, I'd been there long enough that it was getting toward 5:00, so I was starting to worry about 'rush hour'. The first train I got on was very crowded, but I got a seat that was vacated just as I was getting on. (BTW: I LOVE the strong gust of air that a train makes as it pulls into the station, and how it blew my skirt against my legs as I was standing at the edge of the platform). I ended up with a group of 5 young teenage girls standing just off my knees for the trip. They were close enough that every time the train slowed or turned, the skirt one of them was wearing brushed my legs.

After finding platform for the last train I'd need, I started to get a bit worried, It was CROWDED. The entire platform was packed. By this time I was pretty comfortable in a crowd, so just stood there in the middle of the pack waiting for the next train. When it came, I was surprised it could hold everybody who was ready to get on, but it did even though we were packed close enough together that I was touching other riders on all sides.

After three stops, the woman who'd been sitting right beside where I was standing go up to leave so I got her seat. This was when I got the only reaction I'd gotten all day... a young man sitting across from me on a train that was suddenly more empty after the Harvard station just stared at me for minutes, so I ignored him. When I looked back later, he was staring at my legs. By the angle of his eyes, it looked suspiciously like he was looking right at my knees and possibly up my skirt. Not having had much practice being in a skirt in public, I wasn't quite sure just how much of a 'view' he was getting, so made more of an effort to keep my knees together, and casually reached down to pull the hem of my skirt down a bit where it had moved up as I was sitting. I felt a bit uncomfortable with the attention, but as long as he didn't harass me for follow me out of the station I didn't mind.

When we finally reached the Alwife station again, I stood and flowed out onto the platform with the rest of the crowd. It was a good deal colder now than it was when I'd come in, but the cold air on my legs felt good after the stuffy warm air on the crowded trains. The wind had also picked up and was blowing through the parking garage, so my skirt was blown around quite a bit as I walked with the rest of the crowd back to my car.

After all of this, all I had ahead of me was a 2 hour drive back home. I can say, though, that stop and go traffic and 5:00 traffic jams in the city are a LOT more fun when I can be dressed in a skirt suit. :)

There is one postscript to this story. I'd used a LOT of the adhesive tabs and prep before putting the forms on. When I got home and went to take them off, it was like pulling off a band-aid. They were also stuck firmly enough that I was worried about tearing the thin plastic backing of the form itself. I didn't really need to take them off right away, so decided to just put on a sports bra and wear them to bed.

Thankfully, I didn't have to be anywhere the next day either since they were STILL stuck on pretty firmly when I woke up. I changed into a bra with a little more support and went about my day. They were just starting to loosen up on the edge, so I washed (actually showered with forms on and no bra!) and wore them through the day and the next night as well.

I still have them on as I typed this, but if they don't come off easily by morning I'll just have to deal with the discomfort and damage risk of peeling them off, since I have somewhere to be in the afternoon.

edit: I had to take the forms off early due to my father making an unannounced visit. When we heard him pulling into the driveway, I rushed to the bathroom to remove the forms and change while my SO kept him busy. It DID hurt a bit to rip them off so quickly :( but they finally came off with no damage to the forms OR my skin.

ShannonDragon
10-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Glad you had a safe and fun trip!!

I have a question about your forms. Can you use adhesive on any of them or only certain types??

Cristi
10-30-2010, 03:32 PM
They came with adhesive tabs that were made for them specifically, plus some kind of pre-wipe for your skin that is also 'tacky'. I don't think I'd risk using anything not specifically made for that purpose, for fear of damaging either the form... or my body!

I have, though, also used a product called 'It Stays' that you might find in a pharmacy or medical supply store. It is like a tacky 'roll-on' that isn't strong enough to hold the forms on in itself, but does keep them from shifting around very much when used with forms in a bra.

Pythos
10-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Good job on that outing. It is fun and exhilarating isn't it. I recall my first time out in my Chinese gown, that was just a blast. I loved it.

Chari
10-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Great adventure showing you are comfortable and confident being out & about enjoyng your feminine side! Hope to read more of your experiences - maybe with pics. Thanx for sharing.

LeannL
10-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Great job. In many ways, doing what you did requires more guts than flying in my book!

Leann

AllieSF
10-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Way to go. It really is a funny sensation to be "stuck" on a train knowing that there is no exit until the next stop. I recently returned from San Francisco to the suburbs on BART (subway/train) and there were a couple of smart ass 12 and 13 year old girls with their boyfriends. They did nothing but question us (I was with a TS friend) for most of the trip. When we got off, several girls and women passengers came up and said that they felt so bad for us and almost said something to the girls. That was the first time I had that experience. It really did not bother me much, but was good experience for me for the future. Thanks for sharing your interesting trip. I would love to do that in Boston too, on a nice day of course.

StaceyJane
10-30-2010, 10:09 PM
What a great adventure!

Loni
10-31-2010, 01:40 AM
as for adhesive try the holsters 7730, it washes off the forms with goo-gone, then a soap washing to remove the goo-gone. having the forms using the whole surface area it does not hurt if no bra on. and they do "very carefully" as in slowly, pull off at the end of the day. but should work with most of the better silicone forms.
--DO NOT use the hard ware store 3M adhesive it will not release the forms with out a short soaking in goo-gone..on you. + toxic chems in it.--

but sounds like you had a great day, if i could get my face done up better i would like to do a SF day. by using bart in to the city. (parking is very pricey).

imagine playing tourist on the wharf, ridding a cable car and shopping in the pricey downtown stores. just not sure if my feet could handle walking in heels that long.

Vickie_CDTV
10-31-2010, 03:49 AM
A very smart, classy outfit! And your long gray hair is absolutely gorgeous!

RobynB
10-31-2010, 05:38 AM
Love your outfit and adventure.

MargaretJ
10-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Cristi, I love reading peoples stories about going out, and yours has blown me away. I have been out at night and dream of the day I get the courage to go out in daylight. I was getting really nervous reading your story, as it was giving me the nervous tension I get when out. I was expecting to read at any moment, about you being confronted by someone pointing out you were a crossdresser, but I guess the old mantra about people being busy with their own lives, to notice others going about them, holds true.

Great post, and thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Margaret

BLUE ORCHID
10-31-2010, 07:00 AM
Hi Cristi

You look fantastic The grey and red outfit and the hair totally blending in.
That was a good read I felt like I was on the trip with you.
Sounds like you may be getting a season pass for the subway system.

Orchid

LaurenB
10-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Christi,
Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your adventure. It's nice to be able to live vicariously through well documented experiences like yours. Plus you look really fine in that suit!
L

Tasha McIntyre
10-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Christi, what a great post.

I was so enthralled by your adventure that I felt like I was riding every bump on the train with you. I know what you are saying when you talk about hitting the same shops every time, the "same old routine"......that's how I'm beginning to feel. I hope one day to have the courage you just showed and venture further.

Thanks for sharing.

Tash :)

RADER
10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
First I like your suit, it looks good on you.
But I remember a song about the Boston Subway, By the Kingston Trio.
I believe it was about Charley could not get off the train because they
raised the fare 5 cents, and he did not have a nickle to get off the
D__M MTA. LOL sounds like you did get off the train. LOL Rader

Cristi
10-31-2010, 03:58 PM
First, thank you for all the complements. They really made my day. :)

I remember a song about the Boston Subway, By the Kingston Trio.
I believe it was about Charley could not get off the train because they
raised the fare 5 cents, and he did not have a nickle to get off the
D__M MTA. LOL sounds like you did get off the train. LOL Rader

I know that song well, and think if it every time I ride the Boston subway.

It reminds me of something that happened on my trip that I didn't remember until your post. For a moment, I wondered if I WOULD ever get off the train.

On the last leg of the trip, the very crowded train started, rolled far enough to get into the tunnel then we heard a loud bang, a jaring bump and a grinding noise. The train stopped. After 10 seconds or so we started again, and a few moments later it happened again.

This happened at least 4 times and the last time we stopped we sat there for half a minute. I was starting to have horrible thoughts of being stranded on that train forever waiting for repairs, as my makeup slowly got worse and my beard shadow grew darker :( but finally the train started up one last time and, thankfully, kept going.

This was probably the most nervous moment of the entire trip, thinking of what would happen if the train was broken. I don't know if people ever have to walk on the tracks back to the station, or just wait around for repairs stranded in a crowded train? Certainly not something I wanted to deal with on this of all days!

suchacutie
10-31-2010, 04:36 PM
For those of you who might like to try Boston, but are approaching more from the west of Boston, I use the Riverside Station which is only just south of the Mass Pike on 95 (Grove Street). This is the terminous of the D train on the Green line. Also, you can obtain a Charlie Card by mail from the MBTA website. The Charlie card gives a bit of a lower fare and since you will have already added money to it you can just walk right into the system!

I do love the Boston subway system!

tina

Cristi
10-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Tina, that is good to know! I've always just used Alwife at the end of the Red line and never even checked out the maps for anything closer. It looks like that might be a longer ride, but parking is right off 95 so I could avoid some of the stop-and-go traffic on Rte 2. :)

I think I'll check it out on my next trip, drab OR dressed.

BTW: I got a 1 day Charlie ticket in the kiosk. Unlimited train/bus trips for 24 hours for $9.

RADER
10-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Chicago has a sub-way. Only ride it if you have a company of Marines as companions.
Some day I will ride the Boston Subway. I am a train buff at hart, so someday... Rader

Cristi
10-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Chicago has a sub-way. Only ride it if you have a company of Marines as companions.
Some day I will ride the Boston Subway. I am a train buff at hart, so someday... Rader

Not having any Marine companions at the moment, I think I'll avoid the Chicago system. :)

I've ridden a lot of subways, and I think my favorite is the system around Washington DC. Clean, quiet, smooth... When I was down there last Spring, I was fantasizing a bit about riding it en femme, which is probably were the idea of going to Boston came from. Someday, I'd like to return to DC, stay outside of the city, and do the entire 'tourist' thing as Cristi. :) Maybe this Boston trip was just practice for that vacation.

brandi.tgurl
11-01-2010, 01:55 AM
It sounds like you had a good time. This sounds like an adventure I've been wanting to have here in LA. I just don't feel I have got just the right outfit for it - and lately I have been so busy with school and work it seems my time just disappears.

Frédérique
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I live about a 2-1/2 hour drive from Boston and have never even considered going there en femme before but as soon at the thought entered my head, I couldn't shake it. When I'd decided to go through with it, I realize that it meant something even more. Whenever I go to Boston, I hate the traffic and usually park far outside the city and take the subway in. Would I dare do the same thing dressed? To be so far away from the safety of my car?

OK, I lived for many years just south of Boston, and I thoroughly explored the “T” while I was there. You’re two and a half hours away? Western MA? New Hampshire? Connecticut? None of the above? Are you from Down East? That’s a decent drive, through an absolute swarm of traffic, to seek some private time for crossdressing. I commend you...

Like I'd said, it was a 2.5 hour drive to Boston (just over 2 hours to the subway station). For those who know the area, I was aiming for the Alwife station, the far Western end of the red line. All the way down, I still didn't know if I was going to go through with it. Once I got on a train, I'd be totally committed to the trip, no turning back and rushing back to the car which is always an option on other trips.

Yeah, I’ve been to Alewife many times – they know me at Newbury Comics! This is the place to be, the Red Line, although I used to start from the other end in Braintree. I’d be a little nervous, as you were, feeling vulnerable about the entire enterprise, but, when you think about it, what better place to blend in and go un-noticed? The people all have things to do, and the general idea is to exist in your femme state for a certain length of time and be happy. It takes courage to build these personal experiences, and one leads to another, fueled by success and pleasant memories...

(BTW: I LOVE the strong gust of air that a train makes as it pulls into the station, and how it blew my skirt against my legs as I was standing at the edge of the platform)

I live for things like this – I never get tired of these simple feelings. Imagine trying to explain why such innocuous happenings are so thrilling to someone tuned into the “wrong” wavelength...
:heehee:

Cristi
11-02-2010, 09:38 PM
OK, I lived for many years just south of Boston, and I thoroughly explored the “T” while I was there. You’re two and a half hours away? Western MA? New Hampshire? Connecticut? None of the above? Are you from Down East? That’s a decent drive, through an absolute swarm of traffic, to seek some private time for crossdressing. I commend you...

Southern Vermont. It was a decent drive, but honestly I have to drive at LEAST an hour and a half away to get out of the 'range' of anybody who might recognize me anyway. My job and other things take me around the area quite a bit and I'm always running into people I know when in drab unless I get at least that far away, so I try to get beyond that radius when going out dressed.

So the drive to the Alwife station was really only 1/2 hour longer than I'm used to driving on an outing.

The traffic wasn't bad on the way in on Rte 2, since I didn't start the drive until late morning. It was quite a bit worse on the way home (rush hour), but I was just happy to be out, so the time flew. I made a few other stops on the way home that I didn't cover in my post (Fitchburg, Erving, Greenfield) to get out and stretch my legs on short walks or grab a coffee, so it wasn't too long of a stretch of driving.

Sally24
11-09-2010, 06:34 AM
A great write-up of your travels! And I would kill for your shoulder length hair. I've only ridden the T once, with a trans friend who lives in Cambridge. Normally I drive my car everywhere in Boston for work. Coincidentily we started from the Alwive Station.

Boston is a great city and I always love window shopping and taking pictures around the area. Glad you had such an enjoyable day out in the sunshine!