PDA

View Full Version : Halloween bash, everyone dressed as women! How do u explain THAT?

docrobbysherry
11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Let me explain the event first. It was an adult, gay/les benefit event for a AA/drug recovery organization. With 100+ people in attendance. Almost all in costumes. There was a stage where 2 competitions were held. A costume contest and a "talent" contest. A lot of fem dressed gays danced or lipsynced to Lady Gaga, or other female singers. The "show stopper" was Dr. Frankenfurter from Rocky Horror!! He/she was unbelievably good! :thumbsup:

Here's what I don't understand. MANY of the gays were dressed as women. Including some convincing, stunning, and sexily clad drag queens! A few of them performed on stage and announced for the contests. Then, some other gays were dressed as well dressed women or with just fem oriented makeup and wearing a few female clothing items. Maybe CDs? I didn't ask!:heehee:

There were PLENTY of females at the event. Most were lesbians I was told. Yet, they all dressed as women! Either in fancy dress outfits, or female costumes!

There were lots of frightening monster, or "men in uniforms", axe murderer, and evil clown, etc., costumes, too. ALL worn by men!:eek:

Does anyone have any theories on why NO women were dressed in male, or scary/evil looking costumes? Only sexy, pretty, or fancy fem outfits/costumes?
Maybe this is typical of women at adult costumes parties? Even so, I would have expected something DIFFERENT from females at an adult event oriented for gays and lesbians on Halloween!?:brolleyes:

girlygirl152
11-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Same reason we like to dress that way lol the clothes are so much nicer and so much more fun ;)

JohnH
11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Maybe we simply want to expand our fashion envelope out of the narrow confines of acceptable male wear. Women don't have such constraints.

carhill2mn
11-01-2010, 12:52 PM
What type of male clothing would be nearly as much fun to wear?

RachelOKC
11-01-2010, 02:52 PM
To quote from Glee: "Halloween is fast approaching. The day when parents encourage little boys to dress like little girls, and little girls to dress like *****s."

Olivia2
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
My two cents worth,

Where I work, a retail outlet, one young woman I would describe as very butch, maybe a lesbian but don't know, dressed as a guy-sort of a zoot suit look. However, in our job, a very physical one, it would be impractical to wear a really ultra-feminine outtit anyway, but I can't see this woman wearing anything that seems particularly feminine.

I have worked with several gay women over the years but haven't been to a Halloween party with many of them. Most I would not describe as particularly butch and I would assume they would likely wear a traditionally female costume, given the chance.

I went to a non Halloween event where one of my lesbian co-workers attended and she had made a big deal out of wearing a nice dress to the event-she never wore dresses or skirts at work. During the event, she seemed very uncomfortable and akward-her expression throughout reminded me of the look on Scout's face when she wore a dress in the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird". I would not have described her as butch but an earthy ultra-feminist.

I went to another event with another lesbian woman, not particularly butch, but who never wore particularly feminine clothing at work. She wore a very sexy dress that night and seemed completely at ease and natural.

I think women can wear more traditionally masculine type clothes anytime, so the opportunity to wear a flashy, sexy, more feminine type outfit without it resulting in unwanted attention, reactions, or being taken too seriously-like on Halloween-seems like something many women would take advantage of, even if they are lesbian.

ReineD
11-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I also don't understand why gay men, who I assume solidly identify as men, wish to dress as women or in some fashion present femininely. I have a mental image of gay parades in times past, of gay men parodying women with outrageous getups. This is perhaps where the negative stereotypes of CDs originated, but I don't know.

So to echo Sherry, does anyone know why gay men who (seemingly) identify as men enjoy presenting as women sometimes, either fully or just with exaggerated make up, or wearing lots of pink?

docrobbysherry
11-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I also don't understand why gay men, who I assume solidly identify as men, wish to dress as women or in some fashion present femininely. I have a mental image of gay parades in times past, of gay men parodying women with outrageous getups. This is perhaps where the negative stereotypes of CDs originated, but I don't know.

So to echo Sherry, does anyone know why gay men who (seemingly) identify as men enjoy presenting as women sometimes, either fully or just with exaggerated make up, or wearing lots of pink?

The ones I saw the other nite weren't parodying women, they were trying to look hot, sexy, or simply as good as they could! The SAME as I TRY TO DO when I dress!:brolleyes:

And, maybe for the SAME REASONS! I want Sherry to look good to ME!:D
If I was GAY, I think I'd want to look good to OTHER GUYS! Even if they WEREN'T GAY, I'd probably want their ATTENTION!?:o

CatAttack
11-02-2010, 02:55 AM
The ones I saw the other nite weren't parodying women, they were trying to look hot, sexy, or simply as good as they could! The SAME as I TRY TO DO when I dress!:brolleyes:

And, maybe for the SAME REASONS! I want Sherry to look good to ME!:D
If I was GAY, I think I'd want to look good to OTHER GUYS! Even if they WEREN'T GAY, I'd probably want their ATTENTION!?:o

But wouldn't you attract their attention more if you dressed as a sexy guy rather than a girl since gay men are attracted to guys??

ReineD
11-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Except gay men are not attracted to women or to GMs (I thought) who identify as women! So why would a gay man believe that other gay men are attracted to him when he is dressed as a girl?

When my SO and I go out to GLBT bars, the gay men tend to just ignore her, whether she is with me or alone. :strugglin

Barbara Dugan
11-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Well I am gay and I always ask me the same question...I guess it can be as complex as why straight guys want to dress as women

ReineD
11-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Well I am gay and I always ask me the same question...I guess it can be as complex as why straight guys want to dress as women

Good answer! I should have known better. :o

Pythos
11-03-2010, 10:01 AM
As to why the women did not wear scary costumes. Well, frankly I think exotic, or sexy or both costumes are far more fun to wear than scary costumes. I for one am sick and tired of the glorification of violence in our culture. If I am to dress as a vampire, I will choose quite a "sexi" outfit like my cosplay, or something similar. Frankenstein is so done, as is the wolfman, and dracula, and most other cookie cutter boy's costumes. Most of the modern stuff for boys or men are super ugly "sexy" things, or something associated with violence.

Let's not also forget, as we have stated here, within every man is a woman wanting to get out (or in every woman is a man wanting to get out). LOL (I know, not really true, but it is what many think, due to, in my opinion, the unnecessary limitations placed on how people can behave and present themselves.

Chickhe
11-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Perhaps, it is true that sexual orientation and gender expression ARE separate things. This would make the costumes similar to mainstream. The only thing, there is a gay cultural aspect to dressing up so I would expect more female costumes and don't forget, gay people tend to like to have wild parties and support transgender so you would see CDers and TS at such an event. For why you see men in scary costumes and women in sexy ones...if you buy your costumes that about the only choice you have, secondly, maybe because people do what works best for their body type. Woman and TG people like to dress sexy because it makes them feel good. Most guys, with all their hair, muscles etc...have a difficult time looking sexy and not feeling as good...so I thing they opt for the easier monster look. Most good costumes are based on popular culture so that's what you see. Even when I'm doing my female costume, I'm worried about good taste. For woman looking scary, I have seen it, but it is not as common, everyone wants to be attractive, even in costume, even the scary guys...there is still an element of good taste usually.

Pythos
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
My date for the Halloween party found my look in my Mana cosplay to be undeniably "sexi". She really liked it. It was both frightening, and intriguing. She has said that I looked liked an exotic creature, and she loved it. I for one felt really awesome in that get up. I also felt very attractive.

Sophie_C
11-03-2010, 09:33 PM

I have plenty of gay friends (who know nothing of this side of me) and it's not really that complicated. They do it simply because they can, and because they want to have some fun. There's a certain liberation present in the gay community, juxaposed directly with the time before most of them 'came out' that is always alive. Often, anything goes, and no moreso than on Halloween or at Pride.

You've got to understand that most of the rules present in heterosexual society just don't exist there, so people can have fun any way they want to. Imagine if there were no rules on how you can dress, with no judgment, at all, and you wanted to be a little crazy for a night? That's the world you're seeing.

Note: Before anyone says it, obviously there are exceptions to every rule, and there are judgmental people in every community, but you have to admit that gender roles aren't as rigid there, leaving that 'playground' open for whatever people want to do.

In a way, its very much like how a lot of women make it a little tarty, a little sexy for Halloween. Why? Because judgment is suspended for a night and that playground is open for them. It all makes me wonder how people really would be if everyone just stopped caring about how everyone else lived their lives. Maybe one day...

VtVicky
11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I think there may be an element of lusting for power in the choice of costumes.

A beautiful female presentation commands attention and desire as soon as she enters the room. Even if a powerful male has your attention, a sexy female will distract you, at least for a moment. So, males are left with dressing as a powerful evil or a beautiful female to exersize fantasy power. Women seldom find power in looking bad. So, they tend to go for the exagerated sexiness, and get rewarded for their efforts.

One of the many theories of the psychology of Transvestism includes a look at the quest for power. Despite the popular "Penis Envy" concept, there are many other ideas that surround the focus on "Pxssy Envy". (Can I say that? "Vagina Envy" just doesn't have the same ring to it.) The theory doesn't suggest the wish for the anatomy. It focuses on the wish for the power women are perceived to have in our society.

It reminds me of the story of the little boy and little girl who are chatting when the boy pulls down his pants and says: "I have one of these, and you don't. Nyah, nyah, nyah." The little girl pulls up her skirt and says: "Well, I have one of these. And, my mommy says that with one of these, I can have as many of those as I want."

ReineD
11-03-2010, 10:40 PM
You've got to understand that most of the rules present in heterosexual society just don't exist there, so people can have fun any way they want to. Imagine if there were no rules on how you can dress, with no judgment, at all, and you wanted to be a little crazy for a night? That's the world you're seeing.

You've explained it beautifully! Thank you! :hugs:

docrobbysherry
11-03-2010, 11:34 PM
There were plenty of GUYS dressed like the Village People. Police, sailors, marines, a zoot suit, etc.:)

Out of maybe 40 youngish, (many were gay), females, not ONE was dressed that way!:eek:

And, I've seem PLENTY of skimpy police, sailor, man's suits, etc., etc. costumes tailored for women who want to look SEXY! Coincidence? Maybe! Or, maybe NOT!:straightface: