PDA

View Full Version : How much research do you do on crossdressing and transgenderisim?

Maddie22
11-04-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm just curious, do any of you research or read books or watch documentaries on crossdressing and or the whole umbrella of transgendered.

I do a bit myself, and even did a project for school about the topic in a sociology class of gender in society.

So I ask the rest of you what kinds of research do you do?

AllieSF
11-04-2010, 01:35 AM
I have read several books, some fiction and others true stories, about transitioning MtF and FtM. I also read a lot here and,of course, take a some of it with a grain of salt. That being said, I have learned a lot here, so my daily reading and commenting on threads is a type of research. Other than that, and except for some detailed conversations with TG to TS pre and post ops MtF and FtM, I have done no other research.

eluuzion
11-04-2010, 05:26 AM
hiya becca,

I read legal, medical, psychology journals & textbooks, etc. like most people read romance novels, lol. I am curious by nature and have a mind like a sponge. By the time I was packing to fly to Vegas for my inguinal surgery, I had probably absorbed enough expertise to have done the surgery myself, lol.

Abstract reasoning is my cognitive gate-keeper so I tend to be a “peripheral investigator” on issues I explore. For me, that strategy provides much deeper understanding than direct “research”. I focus on etiology (causal) issues that fuel the justification and motivation that propels people’s behavior. I feel everyone has logic and reason behind their behavior and actions that somehow makes sense to them. It only needs to make sense to them. This is what I find curious and fascinating, not the actual behavior. I don’t learn much from what is already engaged.

I do lots of research in kenesics, self-esteem/ego strength development, childhood issues, psychology of make-up, socialization strategy, etc. (relevant to crossdressing). Most of what we do is consistent with the personality we established by the age of 5-6 years old, and the unique environment and personal experiences that influenced us as we grew into adulthood. Basically, we are “still kids”…we are just “taller” now.:heehee:

Hopefully that made some sense. If it did not, rest assured it probably did not to many others reading it either… but it does to me…lol.

There is my periphrastic method of answering your question with a “yes”.

Can I pet the bubble-boy now? :o

:love:

Karren H
11-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Next to nothing..... about the only thing I read any more are the labels on the clothes I buy... :)

Kathryn Martin
11-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Hello Becca

I, too, spend a lot of time reading and re-reading materials related to transsexalism and transgenderism continuously. Eluuzion's reference to her mind having a gatekeeper function is very familiar to me. While I do not focus on behavioral issues so much, because I have no further need to explain my own behavior of the cause of my being who I am, I have a great need for specific information about the mechanics and chemistry of transition. I also spend a lot of time reflecting on my inner being, and learning to cultivate my self. This is something that I have done all of my life, yet now the need to do so is even greater.

In addition I spend much time reading journals and blogs of those that travel along the same path.

Kathryn

TammyPA
11-04-2010, 06:01 AM
How much research do you do on crossdressing and transgenderisim?

Does looking at hot crossdressers count as research ???????????????????
If it does, I do a lot.

Joanne f
11-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Very little but i will read or watch something if it just happens to come along but there is an odd consequence to it when i do , some of it makes me very envious and some of it makes me feel i want to detach myself from it .

tamarav
11-04-2010, 06:44 AM
In the past I used to read everything I could find on the subject, in an attempt to understand what I was doing.

Today, I am with Karren, I read the labels on clothes to see if they can be hand washed or dry cleaned..

audreyinalbany
11-04-2010, 06:58 AM
I have to agree. I'm a kind of 'former researcher." For years I struggled with trying to intellectualize my crossdressing, reading everything I could about it, trying to connect it to whatever may have been missing from my formative years, but it was only about four years ago when my wife and I began seeing a therapist who specializes in gender issues that I began to move away from that paradigm and simply accept the fact that I am a crossdresser and, at age 50 it wasn't going to go away.
Most of what I read I felt didn't specifically apply to me. I started "My Husband Betty" with great enthusiasm, but I don't really self-identify as transsexual, so I found my interest waning. I also read "head Over Heels," which is really a collection of case studies from the wives of crossdressers; how they discovered their husbands interest, how they have dealt with it. Crossdressing fiction interests me not at all.
Although I certainly think it's important to gather as much information on the topic as possible (just as with any topic of personal concern--if you were a vegetarian you'd probably want to find out as much as you could about vegetarianism. if, on the off chance you were a republican, you'd probably want to research republican beliefs), but the bottom line will continue to be that it is what it is and we all have to learn to deal with it in our own way.

MiamiMarie
11-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Too much. Anything to get a better understanding about my husband :)

Rachel Mari
11-04-2010, 07:39 AM
some of it makes me very envious and some of it makes me feel i want to detach myself from it .

I agree with this. I'm the same way.

I feel like I've learned a whole lot reading the posts here and it has helped. I'm going to go see a therapist tomorrow, just myself at first, then my wife will join later. I've got to see where this leads me and stop suppressing it as much as I do. This I've been reading here though, the suppression has been less and less and really looking to forward to the therapy.

Freddy12
11-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't read a lot about the subject - mostly read info on websites. I'm not as interested in the why's but more interested in the decisions people have made and their journey. None of us know what journey we are going to take, but reading about journeys by others helps me be prepared if my journey takes the path that another person's journey has taken. Not well said, but I think you probably got the idea.

Sophie_C
11-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm just curious, do any of you research or read books or watch documentaries on crossdressing and or the whole umbrella of transgendered.

I do a bit myself, and even did a project for school about the topic in a sociology class of gender in society.

I could have four PHD's on it by now. You have absolutely no idea how much I have read up and done personal research on it. Like many others, it has been for better self-understanding...

Jenny Doolittle
11-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Next to nothing..... about the only thing I read any more are the labels on the clothes I buy... :)

Karen, You are so Funny!

StaceyJane
11-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I've done a bunch of research on crossdressing, transgenderism, and transsexuality. All to try to understand myself.

kym
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Karen, You are so Funny!

she is cute isn't she? :x

I did a bunch of research early on thinking that I could overcome it or cure myself. Once I realized that there is no way it was going to be cured I switched to trying to understand myself and who I really am inside and out. Nowadays I just enjoy being a female,albeit preop, and try to educate the world around me to the best of my ability and their concept of understanding.

Frédérique
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Yes, I’ve read many books about crossdressing, transgenderism, homosexuality, and anything related to these subjects. I’ve even written threads about certain passages I found to be worthy of discussion, or patently untrue, or unsympathetic, written by experts on human sexuality. I bow (or curtsy) to their educated expertise, but I find that you’ll get a better understanding of crossdressing from reading the words contained in this site – much of the revelation is in between the words, so you’ll need to pay attention and keep an open mind. I assume your mind is open, right? Pull up a chair...
:straightface:

sissystephanie
11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
After almost 70 years of crossdressing, I must have the PHD of PHD's!! I started studying it when I was still young, and still do it now that I am 78! I am probably not as well school educated as many of you, but I have learned a lot in my years. Mainly by reading and talking to people about many things, including crossdressing and transgenderism!

My late wife and I did write a paper on Crossdressing for a Sociology class I was taking back in the late 1950's. She helped because I needed a GG's input! She thought it was fun, especially because I got an A+ on the paper!!

Tammy V
11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I am currently doing some online research for my wife, who is trying to understand the femme side of me. If anyone has any links or suggestions, I would also appreciate it. I got her the books "My Husband Betty" and "My Husband Wears My Clothes" and they were not helpful. She is looking for something more scientific and possibly research that deals with the cause of crossdressing.

randumbness
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I am not a seasoned researcher, but I have been curious and have delved into researching a bit on crossdressing and transgenderism, mainly for my sanity's sake. As a kid, I used to think I was always weird because I knew no one that was like me. But then the internet came along, and I began to read people's blogs, confessions, I soon came to accept myself. And the internet has some great makeup and dressing tips too. ;) Sadly, this was all internet, so these sources are not AS reliable, but being able to read people's thoughts and ideas is already half the research anyway.

That and I joined a T-time club at my college. It was really informative and kept me in the loop on current happenings with people under the transgender umbrella.

Annaliese2010
11-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Ive done some but not enuf. a few hrs maybe, webrousing legit sources for objective science. wanna do more, a question of time, really.

edit: aww i taught i taw a bunny wabbit. i did i did! aw cute wabbit u.

renee k
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I've made it a point to read everything that I've stumbled on to, on this subject. Just trying to see how it all relates to me and my life. And maybe find some answers to all of it. That being said, over the years, I've learned and benefited from others experiences, and look forward to learning more.

Renee

S. Lisa Smith
11-04-2010, 07:28 PM

In the past I used to read everything I could find on the subject, in an attempt to understand what I was doing.

Today, I am with Karren, I read the labels on clothes to see if they can be hand washed or dry cleaned..

Same here!

Lucy_Bella
11-04-2010, 08:10 PM
A whole hell of a lot..I would like to know what causes it , why we do it and if there is ever a chance for a cure all . Life sucks sometimes living in Limbo ,tho some say there are content I'm further to believe the struggle never really ends. I have allowed this to consume me these past few years making up for lost time while married. I opened doors that in the past where only fantasies . I now know the feeling of some of this fantasies and to be honest I wasn't really impressed.......

I long for a normal life ( if you will ) to not have this 24/7 burden to express ( maybe not 24/7 but a lot of productive time wasted )..I want to get into a relationship find the woman of my dreams , but this continues to be an anchor!! I will not burden any unsuccepected partner with this over whelming desire. I gave myself space to explore and reached out to give in finally at just what was tugging at my shirt tail my whole life. I am now at peace with myself and the desire and created a harmony I can live with through research and visiting places such as this and taking advice or going off of other threaded experiances. That was a major factor in helping me feel more complete with myself and to me that is important by way of guiding me into my next relationship.

It will help me decide when to tell her, how to tell her, how to intergrade it into a relationship as far as the do's and don'ts and most importantly TO TELL HER. It will also be a great help to better understand myself so I can explain why I do what I do ( even tho I really don't know why ). So yes research was very important to me and will become a valuable tool when needed . If I don't understand myself how could I ever expect anyone else too?

Great thread thanks..

sterling12
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
The more TG Literature you read, The Less you will probably know....about yourself! Almost all The "Scholarly Books" are written by people who are looking to make fame and fortune in Their Academic Endeavors. After a while it becomes quite clear that: "These people are full of BS, and they don't know The Cause anymore than I do." Then you start to realize that we are all just a bit different, and our experience has and will be unique!

As others have said, you don't need to read a bunch of Hooey to find Self-Acceptance. I personally think you can learn a lot more by joining A Support Group and actually talking to Sisters who have "been there, done that."

I suppose that a lot of us are like Golfers who always believe that This Year's new Golf Clubs will make The Difference. "If I just buy those new clubs, then I won't suck!" Now paraphrase just a bit, and read The Statement: "If I just buy and read this latest book, then I'll I'll understand myself, and my Life won't Suck!"

Experience says: "That don't work!" Learn Thyself, learn to Accept, you don't need anyone else to tell you what to think, or what to do. If you have that rare ability to gather opinions, and select what works; then, if you can do that, you can probably figure it out by yourself!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Naomi Rayne
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I have read a bunch of books, did tons of online research, watched videos, all sorts of things. My first thoughts as most people tend to think were that if i read this ill understand, or if i look this up ill understand. After reading the first book i realized that the only way i can understand myself is through myself. So after that my reading and research became more about curiosity of what other people were saying or feeling rather than trying to discover myself. Now its purely all informational and i love learning things.

Christy_M
11-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I have to echo many of the posts here about research to understand me...I have tried for year to figure out why I am a freak. I have read as much as I could find on the internet and barely tapped the plethors of information that is out there. I have started reading "My Husband Betty" with similar resuklts that it didn't really apply to me so no sense to keep reading. I haven't quite come to grips with myself yet but I am thinking someday soon, I will finally accept this part of me as just that, part of me. The more I follow the posts on this site and find others like me (or "similar," "close," "unique,", pick an adjective that fits), the more I find that I am not alone and there is so much to learn from my fellow sisters on this site. I have found so much support and met a few very dear people that will help me on my journey to wherever this might lead me. Essentially, I will continue to research my affliction through this site and one day, be in the same boat as many others that just accept it and then the research will taper off into something more constructive...hopefully still with this forum.

Jenny Doolittle
11-05-2010, 08:39 AM
I have tried over the years to understand why I am who or what I am, I have arrived at this conclusion: God has a sense of humor, He/She always provides something to everyone to negotiate in life and I feel this has been my test.

I now find that this has been an oppertunity for me to know life (to some degree) from a view point of both genders. I find myself to be fortunate. The difficulties come from others view of who I am, but then again, isn't that their issues?

So, I guess now I embrace who I am and hope others can understand that I am who I am.

Tina B.
11-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm in here every day reading post after post, does that count? I need to try Karren's method, I don't read enough labels, I keep winding up with to many things that need to be dry cleaned!
Tina B.

suchacutie
11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Research? LOL...that's what I do for a living! Ok, I'm a scientist and our training pounds into us the necessity of learning the prior art before stepping into the laboratory. I approached Tina in this same way (btw, my wife's training is in the sciences as well, so she completely understands this approach!). Finding Tina at age 55, without any guilt at all, and with the full support of my wife meant that we could work on this whole idea of a feminine self with a vengence! We read, we talked, we planned, we shared idea and information. Three areas of research broke out: transgenderism, creating the feminine illusion from a male body, what is it like to grow up as a woman. Much of the transgenderism material was focussed a bit too much on acceptance for my situation, since we completely accepted the fact that Tina existed and we wanted to know who she was. The immediate need was to start to create the illusion so for the first two or three years all those details of body movement and makeup and clothes and voice took center stage. The my wife noticed that this was the same path that she followed growing up as a girl, and she started to clock Tina as she progressed through those "growing up" stages. At that point it became clear that to complete Tina she needed to know what the differences were growing up in the two genders so she could begin to "feel" the feminine side as naturally as that masculine side he/she had grown up in. This latter process continues more heavily than the others and is not only the usual reading, but also involves Tina talking to my wife about all the aspects of growing up as a girl.

We really must want to do this. No one would go through all this as a joke!

Tina!

RobynP
11-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Many years ago before Internet (BI), one of my obsessions was researching anything CD/TG/TS related... I spent many hours, even days, in used book stores and college libraries searching and reading and then searching some more. Initially, I needed to find out if I was the only one... Many years later when the Internet started growing, I was able to spend even more time researching. I used to video tape any televison shows that might have had any important, helpful information. (This quickly excluded many of the trashy shows that shall remain nameless...) I've spent lots of $$$ on books for my personal library, many of which are now out of print.

Did any of this help? Some of it did but there were a lot of rabbit holes I fell into. I probably should have majored in psychology when I was in college. I spent enough time not only in reseaching CD info but having to learn a lot about psychology and other sciences just to try to understand what researchers were saying. It has been a long, strange trip...

Robyn P.

sometimes_miss
11-07-2010, 05:04 AM
How much research; oh my god. I've been reading psychology books since I was 9 (which is now >40 years); virtually every trip to the book store I've at least scoped out what books to buy if I was with male friends, and later went back to buy them. I would go to the New York Public library and read everything I could get my hands on; search out periodicals with articles on transsexualism. I've read pretty much everything, every theorist, every discipline, took all the psychology courses I could find, all in the effort to figure myself out. I watch every documentary about gender differences I can find. And it's worked, pretty much; I've been able to understand what happened to me, why I want to crossdress so much, why I constantly feel like I'm supposed to be a girl, but also what there is about me that makes me distinctly male. The book I'm waiting for? "Where to find a GG that truly likes guys who prefer to dress as women". It's sure to be a multi million seller, even if it's only one chapter.

MargaretJ
11-07-2010, 06:07 AM
My only reading on the subject is on here, and I tend to ignore the deep serious stuff. I don't feel the need to analyse every thought and deed, or find deep meaning in my every action. I just enjoy Cross Dressing.

Kate Simmons
11-07-2010, 06:13 AM
I used to do a lot until I realized that facts and stats don't address the feelings which what it is really all about, so began concentrating on them.:)

charlotte_sp
11-07-2010, 08:59 AM
@OP: Pretty much anything gender-related grabs my attention these days. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but a lot of the psychology texts seem to be overly reductionist or outdated, transphobic BS.

My two current areas of interest are trans demographics and any respectful, evidence-based research on the biological foundations of gender dysphoria.

I would love it if anyone could point me to studies, researchers, institutions, etc.!

Sarah Doepner
11-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I avoided everything about it until I realized my crossdressing wouldn't go away. Then I studied everything I could and realized my crossdressing wouldn't go a way. Then I reached out on the web to find friends and read what they had experienced and could say about how their crossdressing wouldn't go away. Then I found friends who I could sit down with and have nice conversations and avoid the question about how my crossdressing won't go away. Then my wife discovered my crossdressing and I did some research again to help her understand how my crossdressing won't go away. Now days I come here and visit and comment and enjoy it all and am pretty pleased that dispite my research, my crossdressing won't go away.

Kelli Ann
11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
All I know is that I have accepted myself as a crossdresser and am very proud of it. The most extensive research that I have done, and I mean devoting hours and hours, is educating myself all that I can before I come out to my lovely wife. I have read "My Husband wears My Clothes" which I truly enjoyed and found fascinating and am getting ready to start reading "My Husband Betty". Actually I am planning a deer hunting trip in a couple of weeks and both books will definetely be in my backpack. There is something about nature, deer hunting, and crossdressing education that just soothes my mind. Anyway, research on SO's and coming out to them have been my focus. I want to be armed with everything on coming out to her so I will be prepared for her reaction which I know will not be pleasant. For any one of you girls planning on coming out to your SO I would recommend going to crossdresserwives.com and reading some of the reactions from these women about finding out their husband is a crossdresser. Granted about 90% of these women are extremely negative, but just hearing what they have to say and think really prepares me better for my conversation with my wife. Also let's not forget TG Marla's post about how to come out to your wife which is on this site is very informative as well.

Wish Me Luck

Huggs,

Kelli Ann

abbyleigh
11-07-2010, 07:25 PM
None to speak of; however, should I come across material pertaining to crossdressing I will read it.

Annaliese2010
11-08-2010, 03:52 AM
@OP: Pretty much anything gender-related grabs my attention these days. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but a lot of the psychology texts seem to be overly reductionist or outdated, transphobic BS.

My two current areas of interest are trans demographics and any respectful, evidence-based research on the biological foundations of gender dysphoria.

I would love it if anyone could point me to studies, researchers, institutions, etc.!If I took the time to research transgenderism I would focus my search on peer reviewed publications in the neurosciences. Neuroscience is multidisciplinary and I'm sure most of the hits would be useless psychology publications. The most fascinating papers would be those that describe neuroanatomical differences and specific genes that may be involved. Or...maybe there isn't a genetic vector but other influences presumably in effect during CNS development in the fetus, maybe related to circulating hormonal imbalances in the mother.

Dunno, just saying, yes I agree. There needs to be developed a biobehavioral model that hypothesizes the neurochemical/neuroanatomical/neurophysiological basis of transgenderism. There can be NO doubt that the ultimate explanation is physical. How are our brains different: by their structure; by how they function.

My guess is the neuroarchitecture of certain important hierarchical structures will look and function as they do in female brains - or are maybe something in between male and female design by degree, varying in a manner that tightly correlates to just how transgendered one is as reflected in ones deep subjective feeling state and the feminine behavior that flows from this.

Bet there's not much of this type of REAL SCIENCE out there yet. Psychology is... next to useless as far as I'm concerned - uh...wrt providing definitive comprehensive answers.

Satrana
11-08-2010, 04:29 AM
but I find that you’ll get a better understanding of crossdressing from reading the words contained in this site – much of the revelation is in between the words

I agree, your best research is done in forums like this by understanding why people say certain things. It is many times more revealing than reading a medical journal where the researchers were more interested in inserting CDs into their neat psychological matrices.

Research into CDs is particularly problematic because many CDs will not tell the whole truth or are confused about why they CD. Researchers have little hope of getting to the root of the issue when their data is flawed. And their prejudices and assumptions regularly get in the way. For example most of the research papers I have come across mix homosexuality and crossdressing together as if they were the same thing. They are not interchangeable but researchers with dozens of letters after their names are ignorant of this.

Then my wife noticed that this was the same path that she followed growing up as a girl, and she started to clock Tina as she progressed through those "growing up" stages. Absolutely spot on. Gender roles are social constructs and GGs have to naturally learn everything we CDs attempt to emulate as they grow up. As adults CDs can accelerate the growing up stage but it still takes years to complete. And the first stage is learning to fit in by copying typical looks and behaviors. Once you feel your femininity is established then you can learn to diverge and develop individual traits true to yourself.

Jaydee
11-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Like so many others here, I have done lots of research in libraries and on the internet to understand my CDing. After I came out to my wife, a year ago, she suggested that I talk to a psychologist, which I did. I was hoping he could explain the "why" of my need to dress. He didn't. It took a while, but after talking to him, I realized that my quest to know "why" was an expression of my lack of personal acceptance. Once I realized that, I lost interest in finding out why, and have pretty much stopped my research.

Paul

TinaMc
11-10-2010, 04:36 AM
For any one of you girls planning on coming out to your SO I would recommend going to crossdresserwives.com and reading some of the reactions from these women about finding out their husband is a crossdresser. Granted about 90% of these women are extremely negative, but just hearing what they have to say and think really prepares me better for my conversation with my wife.

Never seen that site before, it's pretty awful reading.