PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps An Inspiration?

sterling12
11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I got thinking about Phyliss' Thread, and decided that I think ALL of us who are "Out" should be sharing Stories, and hopefully that will inspire others to finally take that difficult step that finally and ultimately "frees" A TG Gal. The Huge Step of Going Out in Public.

A Couple of Weeks ago, as part of an Ongoing Program started by Brianna, "The Gurlz of Tampa Bay" participated as Volunteer's and running The Coffee Booth during Our Annual "Walk for Breast Cancer," here in The St. Pete/Tampa Area. This is Our Second Year of Participation and it's an Event that Involves Tens of Thousands of People. They Stage it on The Plaza at The Times Forum/Ice Palace, (The Home of The Lightning NHL Team) and it Involves A Walk of about Three Miles for Folks who Walk for Their Money Pledges. The Trend seems to involve different Groups with their own special Identifying T-Shirts, and usually in "Packs of 10 to 40 persons." We got to Dole out The Coffee before and after for Folks who went out did their Walk and returned for a Celebration aimed at Breast Cancer Survivors.

As usual, things were chaotic, and messed up. We found out you need a Heck of a Lot of Electricity to run Three Restaurant Type Coffee Makers, but after working with The Maintenance Dept. we got things straightened out, and served probably Thousands of people. It was exhausting, and fun! Besides Brianna, Susan, Myself, Joann (Yes, our Joann from this Forum) and Brandi, worked The Booth. We had to put up with Speakers and Rap Music blaring behind our booth all morning, but we did meet a lot of people, and The best part? NOT ONE NEGATIVE INCIDENT, Not one hateful comment, nobody wanted to "burn The Trannies," and I think we probably changed a lot of People's Perceptions' about what it means to be transgendered. I had on Black Chino's, and got to wear and keep my sky-blue Volunteer T-Shirt.

At this Event, we were treated just like everybody else! I would like to believe that Everyone's Only Concern was whether or not Joanie could serve them A Decent Cup of Coffee.

For those who seem to spend a lot of time being worried about using The Women's Bathroom. You should know that we were DRINKING Coffee at the same time we were serving it! I know I used The Women's Bathroom at least 7 or 8 times, and I would assume that all The other Gurlz did The same. Joanie did like she always does, I used The Public Bathroom inside at The Goaltender's Club in The Main Building, and it has a Capacity of about A Hundred. I went into a stall, took care of business, came back out, washed my hands and freshened up my Makeup. Same thing that dozens of others were doing. NO PROBLEMS!

MY Point in relating this story? If you get a chance to participate as your femme-self, if you get a chance to be out in Public, and dealing with The Public....do it! The Odds are overwhelming that you will have a terrific adventure, and you have now done something to influence others to look at us in a different way. I think I prefer a Captioned Picture in The Newspaper that says "Gurls of Tampa Bay Volunteer to Help Out against Breast Cancer," rather than The Usual Negative Stories.

YOU can do these things. Suck it up, and Get Out There! Regrets over things not done last a lifetime. But, memories for chances taken, things we did do and turned out so very well....those too can also leave you with huge positive benefits that also will last you for a Lifetime. Wouldn't you prefer to have The positive Memories?

Peace and Love, Joanie

S. Lisa Smith
11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Excellent!

Phoebe Reece
11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Joanie,

You are right! The more of us exposed to the public in ordinary settings will ultimately make us less of a curiosity. I've got a ton of great memories that wouldn't be there if I hadn't taken a chance on things being OK.

I am impressed and inspired by your volunteer work. I need to organize some of the girls in our group in the Atlanta area to do something similar.