PDA

View Full Version : Your real hair, or wig

Starr
11-07-2010, 10:03 PM
For those of you who use to wear wigs and now have let your own hair grow and have it styled in a fem style, are you more comfortable going out dressed now then you were when you wore a wig all the time. Also kind of wondered how many of you have you hair long?

Danni Bear
11-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Naturally long hair to just below waist. Have had hair length down to back of knees when younger. Only used wigs in early 70's. I have always prefered to have my own hair over wigs but understand that not all have that option due to many diverse reasons.

Danni

AKAMichelle
11-08-2010, 02:04 AM
it made a huge difference in my presentation and especially my confidence. I felt like that difference allowed me to be more feminine.

As you can see from the avatar - it me except for a small wiglet on top to cover the bald spot

tamarav
11-08-2010, 07:01 AM
At 18, military barbers hardly ever saw me since my own hair was so sparse that it looked almost like I had shaved my head. So, today I do shave anything that still crops up, thus my total fascination with wigs

Kathryn Martin
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I prefer my own hair. Wigs unvariably make me look like I am wearing a bad rug

JohnH
11-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I have my own hair. I never used wigs, and I did not get into expanding my wardrobe options - skirts, dresses, and heels until 9 months ago.

I started letting my hair grow out February 2009 and I have started going to a stylist for a woman's styling in July instead of going to a barber. I return every 10 to 12 weeks.

There really haven't been any issues with my hair length since enough men in the Dallas area have long hair.
:)

Chari
11-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Depending on the event, I have become very confident going out with either my own hair, which is now cut in a short feminine "bob" style, or any of my various wigs!

Engendered
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately, genetics doesn't allow me to grow my hair. :)

TGMarla
11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Wig for me! My own hair, while once full and nice, got real thin, and now it's not worth worrying about. Funny thing, though.....when I'm wearing my wig, it doesn't feel like a wig. I forget it's a wig after a while, and it's just........my hair.

Sara Jessica
11-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Real hair has become the new normal for me. Haven't had a "proper" haircut in at least 10 months, perhaps more (I didn't embark on this road with a plan, it just kind of happened).

To answer your question, I've never had any sort of comfort issue in going out but having my own hair raises it to another level. It's something that is really hard to describe but I know it when I feel it.

As for how long I can keep this up, my wife and mom pretty much hate it but probably 95% of friends think it's really cool (in guy mode, of course).

Sarah Doepner
11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I've been growing my hair out for just over 2 years now and I've found that it's too thin and is too far back on my forehead for me to wear in a feminine style. It's fine around the house, but if I am going out, I'll wear a wig. Besides, I like the variety of looks I can get with wigs.

Jamie Burton
11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
My own hair has been retreating for many years now and I actually keep my scalp shaved all the way. It's much less expensive than paying for haircuts and also makes the required wig sit much more comfortably.

A good quality wig is key, as the better wigs do feel like you have real hair and can be styled and played with like you have real hair. My first time going into a real wig store and sitting down and getting help finding a style and color that suited me was a wonderful experience (thanks to Sarah and Kate!) and worth the nerves of admitting what I was looking for.

sometimes_miss
11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
As a teen, I had such beautiful dark blond hair with natural highlights, shoulder length, being told by women how much they envied me was a frequent experience. Sadly, as I've gotten older, it's thinned out more than I'd like, and it's no longer that beautiful combination of colors. So, I wear a wig. Luckily, wigs.com has sales frequently, so I can keep a few 'in stock' in a some different colors. But my favorite is still the same color I had when I was young, it 'brings me back' to a time when I probably could have passed (except for the feet; damned giant clodhoppers!).

Sophie86
11-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Sometime between first grade and second grade I started refusing to let my parents cut my hair. In my second grade school picture, it was on my shoulders. I continued to wear it long all through my school years. When I was 18, my barber pointed out a quarter-size bald spot on the back of my head. From there, it was all down hill. :(

Growing up with long hair (and having full lips and large brown eyes with long lashes) I was often mistaken for a girl. Those features definitely enhanced my dressing when I was a teen. If I still had that full head of luxurious wavy brown hair that I had then, I would feel much more femme, and consquently I would be more comfortable going out dressed. I envy those of you who have that option.

Jodygurl
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I've told this story before but will continue to bore yo'all w/ it.

I'd been letting my hair grow for years and when it really got long I'd get comments about how scraggly it looked. I finally 'fessed up to my stylist and asked if she would do it differently if I wanted a feminine cut. Of course, she said, though it took her a second to recover from the shock. That was in July.

It's coming along nicely now and I'm starting to be able to do some different things w/ it. I'm really happy that I had that conversation w/ my stylist. Besides, I hate wigs!

Emily Ann Brown
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
No more wigs for me. I no longer worry about the wig shifting or going byebye. Please I feel like Em all the time because I don't have to "CHANGE INTO HER".

Em

Inna
11-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I am letting it grow, I've had comments that I do look more natural with my own, even though short at the moment, hair.

Stephanie Miller
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Since I live in Phoenix and it's typicaly 100 deg all through summer and 70's & 80's the rest of the year - my preference is to NOT wear a fur coat on my head.
My own hear is long past my shoulders, but I still at little clip on extensions to add fullness sometimes.

Polly R
11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi girls

I used to love having a curly perm years ago but, tempus fugit, too thin now so wig it has to be... My perm was so easy to look after and I miss that.

xx Polly R

VickysBFF
11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I have been letting my own hair grow for more than a year and have been getting it styled in a feminine way for the past 6 months or so. It's nice to go out in my own hair when it is to an outdoor event or if it is very hot. I still have a couple of wigs and enjoy wearing them in the winter when it is cooler or to an indoor event.
It just depends on the weather and the event and it is nice to have the choice to go either way.

Joan_CD
11-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I am using my own hair now and I feel more confident when out and about.

Chickhe
11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I prefer wigs because of the instant gratification, always the same result and you can find the style that works for your face etc. I have been letting my hair grow and it is now down to my shoulders, but I have some male pattern on my temples, so I just look like a guy with long hair, however, I've been experiementing with clip in extensions and I've got to say, the volume and length added changes my appearance completely. If I can cover up my temples enough, the look is pretty natural. I could use a stylist to make it all perfect, but it does give me some options. Not sure if it boosts my confidence, because when the wind kicks up all that I'm trying to hide becomes obvious, unlike with a wig, however, the natural part probably helps.

bridgetta
11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
.. i bought a flatiron and did my hair.. its the first time i had long hair.. its the longest length its ever been .. and i felt the thrill of having a great straight look... it was fantastic... ive been growing it for a year.. and its finally getting there.

Stephanie47
11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
A wig is a must for me. There's not much hair left on my head. So, there's absolutely no chance to grow my gray hair longer. I bought my first wig when I was about 35. It was a shoulder length brunette wig. It was just before Halloween so I told the sales clerk that it was for a Halloween costume. I think she did believe me. My next wig was a shorter curly blond wig. The sales clerk did not speak much English, so I did not get a read on my Halloween story. Now, I would not think my Halloween story would not hold much water. I thank the gods for eBay. I purchased a shoulder length gray wig with a little curl to the ends. It actually complements my age. Somehow the reflections in the various mirrors around the house would not be the same with my slowly disappearing natural gray hair! The longer length wig also helps obscure that dreaded Adam's apple. My paternal grandmother and one of her sons both passed on in their eighties with their original jet black hair. Unfortunately I took after the other side of the gene pool.

Elsa Larson
11-08-2010, 07:47 PM
My head is too big for most men's hats SO finding feminine wigs that fit is almost impossible without getting something custom made. Plus, I hate stretch-wig headache.

I have yet to get a hairstyle appropriate for a woman my age so mine looks like old-fat-biker hair in guy mode.

I have been coloring my hair with a temporary color that lasts a few weeks.

I just discovered clip-on hair that turns a plain pony into an elegant updo.

StephanieC
11-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, I have my own hair. It's been long for the last 3 years or so except for a spell in July when it was short for a television spot. Sometimes my hair is the cause of some confusion...just today at breakfast out, someone addessed my daughter and I as "...ladies" before I picked my head up from reading the menu. (And this was en drab.)

Genifer Teal
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
I have long hair (seen in avatar). The first day I took off my wig, I knew I could never put it back on. It would be very difficult to go back to wearing a wig. It made this feel so much more real. Having my own long hair made me take a much more serious look at myself and how far I plan to take this - IE would I transition? Putting on a wig can make the difference between looking like a man in makeup and a dress or looking like the woman we desire to be. I now essentially have a wig on all the time, so when am I not Genifer? Real hair changed everything for me. It may just do the same for you.

Gen

JohnH
11-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I have long hair (seen in avatar). The first day I took off my wig, I knew I could never put it back on. It would be very difficult to go back to wearing a wig. It made this feel so much more real. Having my own long hair made me take a much more serious look at myself and how far I plan to take this - IE would I transition? Putting on a wig can make the difference between looking like a man in makeup and a dress or looking like the woman we desire to be. I now essentially have a wig on all the time, so when am I not Genifer? Real hair changed everything for me. It may just do the same for you.

Gen

I don't have to do a thing different from a GG to be en femme, except to shave off my facial hair which I do all the time anyway. As I have written before, I have natural longer hair so I don't need a wig. I also have natural breasts so I don't need breast forms. I have hips so I don't need hip padding.

So for me there is not much difference between being in drab or being en femme. So it is consistent with my decision to use my masculine name all the time and not have a distinct female persona.

danielletorresani
11-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Wig for me. There's no way I could do long hair in my man state.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
11-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I wear my hair long and will as long as I can have it long. It was near my waist but a few months ago I cut 6" off the length and it has thickened up now. Once I understand wigs I may try a wig just for a change, but for now I prefer my own long hair and just adore updos and pony tails. Silly thing is I have been looking at short, blonde elf styled wigs. Like is that me or is that me, giggles. Guess if I had short hair I would be looking at long hair wigs. Color is an issue as if one has a wig do you color it near to your natural color or go for a complete color change and complete your disguise?

Nikki A.
11-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I hate wigs, too hot. But my hair is too short and getting sparser & sparser. A wig helps me look differentand & can change collors & looks. I can be a blond, brunette or auburn haired in seconds flat.

Debb
11-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I use wigs presently, am trying to grow my hair out but will need to color it -- too much gray for the likes of me.

Katie145
11-16-2010, 09:58 PM
wigs for me. I've gone to pricier, more realistic looking wigs over the last few years. I'd LOVE to let my hair grow long, unfortunately, my profession does not allow it :/

Gisele
11-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I have a lovely human hair wig that I paid a ton for. I use to love wearing it out. Now, for the past 2 years I have been growing my own hair out. I use to keep it at a #2 buzz cut (way to easy to keep it that way LOL) now I have to keep the color in as the grey loves to rear it's ugly head. I have grown it to the top of my bra strap and will keep going as long as I can. I do get the ends dusted now and then to keep the split ends away. My bangs are past my chin now. I have been thinkig of having my bangs cut to my eyes lately. It will help shape my face more since its long and narrow. My wig has bangs and when I put it on now and then I keep telling myself I need bangs cut into my real hair. Ugggh....I hate to have my hair cut and not like the bangs....I can't decide.

I feel more real when going out with my real hair over the wig. The wig looks 100% real on me but I know it's not. I love trying new styles with my own hair now.

EDIT TO ADD: If you color your hair please give Samy Fat Foam a try. It's sold at WalMart only from what I have read. It works great! It's less than $10. Jenn and I gave it a try and we LOVE the stuff. So easy to mix and put on. Being a foam after mixing it goes on so clean and you don't have to worry about it running all over the place. No more $50 colors for this girl at the salon!

Chickhe
11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I have been letting my hair grow (I'm sure I look like a male bum sometimes...or cool surfer dude...maybe not, sigh) and it is just getting long enough overall to braid it without falling out. It is hard to hide my male pattern in my temples, but it feels pretty cool to almost be able to do a french braid. And with the cheap-o 'Sally's' hair extensions (clip in) I can add length and volume and it looks realistic.

JohnH
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I notice how a lot of you have written about problems of the hair going grey. The interesting thing is my grey hair has a blond appearance. So I'm happy with my natural hair color. My hair used to be a reddish brown.

Michelle Crossfire
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
wig only when dressing. at longest, near shoulder length as a kid, but now, my hair gets too thick and wavy.

joanne anderson
11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments, I suppose I should have made it a bit clearer when I asked, synthetic or human hair, I did mean wigs made with human hair.
Like some of you I too do'nt have the option of growing my own, have'nt done so for many years, so thank goodness for wig makers.
Stephanie great to see the the Adams apple is a problem for you to, I have now realised my present wig does not obscure that little problem so will be looking at something a little longer this time.

LOL Joanne

countrygirl
11-17-2010, 05:49 PM
i have short hair in male mode, one day i want to get a wig, right now just look like a guy in a dress.

Xandria
11-17-2010, 07:57 PM
wigs for me.. i'm lazy.. when i did have long hair, it was so thick and had really nice curl to it.. the girls loved it as well as i. But now.. i like my 5 min shower in the morning :)

Laura Evans
11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Up till now have only used a wig but I have decided to let my hair grow out and will have it styled in a feminine fashion when it is long enough. Looking forward to that day.

girlygirl152
11-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Currently I have two wigs that i switch between but havent cut my hair in about 2 months and its about 7 inches long so far and I am planning to keep going with it :)

Gisele
11-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, I suppose I should have made it a bit clearer when I asked, synthetic or human hair, I did mean wigs made with human hair.
Like some of you I too do'nt have the option of growing my own, have'nt done so for many years, so thank goodness for wig makers.
Stephanie great to see the the Adams apple is a problem for you to, I have now realised my present wig does not obscure that little problem so will be looking at something a little longer this time.

LOL Joanne

Ditto on the addams apple for me too! Mine is huge and I hate it.

When I bought my human hair wig I got it with hair 33" from the crown. It does a pretty good job at hiding my A.P. from side views. I also wear turttle necks out alot.
Another thing to "help" keep eyes off of your neck is to go a little larger in the breast area. I will help draw eyes away from your "problem" areas.:battingeyelashes:

Bethany38
11-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I have been blessed with hair that women have told me they would love to have. So yes I keep it long and getting longer every day. The only problem I have with it is the Grey's. So about every three months I dye it, Med. Ash blond which is close to my natural color.

lynnef
11-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I haven't had my hair cut for the past 7 years, alas, it seems to have stopped at the middle of my back (somewhat below where the bra band goes.)
I used to have longer hair as a little kid, up until I was 6 or so, people kept asking my mom "how's your daughter?" :D
(If I could pass that well now....)

AmberM
11-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Genetics is conspiring against me so I have to wear a wig.

LitaKelley
11-20-2010, 01:14 AM
I wish I had real hair :( I have no choice but to wear wigs since the only real hair I have is on the sides.. Kinda like George Costanza.. makes me hate being in guy mode even more... but often I just shave it all off as it's better being 100% hairless than having the balding thing... Would rather be all bald on purpose rather than look like a man going bald, lol... at least when in drab, as overall I'd rather be female, period.

JohnH
11-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Today I was dressed in an androgynous way - long sleeve tshirt, jeans, and boat shoes. I went to a choir practice for the Christmas cantata and I was the only man there except for the director. It was interesting that I have the same hair length as most of the gg ladies, but I was the lone bass in the choir. I looked so much like the ladies, and yet sounded so different!

Lita, here's something to think about. A number of us have hair long enough that we don't need wigs to be en femme. Perhaps you might select out a short wig and wear that while you are in drab. It might be a shock for people to see you wearing a wig in drab who know you for the first time, but they will get used to it.