PDA

View Full Version : Sales assistant in Women's shop - would you?!

Kimberly
09-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey girls,

On the prowl for a job in my local area recently, (New shopping centre opening in Norwich, and I wanna job - perfect!!), all there seems to be are jobs in women's clothing and shoe shops... question is, should I avoid jobs like this, or could I use my CDing experience to possibly help any other CDers that come into the shop and want a sympathetic smile? :)

What would you do? Apply for the job, or avoid it?

heathr1
09-10-2005, 04:16 PM
In Exeter and Bournemouth I've seen men working in Women's clothes shops and even seen a man behind a make-up counter.

Kimberly
09-10-2005, 04:19 PM
even seen a man behind a make-up counter.
I know a guy who does make-up for one of the theatre's I've worked at.

Rachel Morley
09-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Do you have any "retail store assistant" experience? If so I would say go for it!

Kimberly
09-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Do you have any "retail store assistant" experience? If so I would say go for it!
Problem is... I don't. :p

... OH WELL!

Crystal Harmony
09-11-2005, 04:45 AM
I see guys working in womens clothes stores all the time and i think oh your so lucky,i would do it but i would end up spending all my pay on new clothes :D

Angela Burke
09-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Yeah it's a nice idea but I don't think most GG would go for it!
Maybe if you were an obviously effeminate guy?
I can just imagine the reaction if I appeared in a female changing room.
"Can I help you ?"

SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS !!!

Love Angela XX

Trinity_cat
09-11-2005, 05:04 AM
Hi Kimberly, Go for it.

Jumping straight into the retail business can be daunting to say the least, as it is primarily a woman orientated career. Your best bet would be to start with shoes.

A first foot on the ladder so to speak. Many guys work in shoe stores, and experience is acquired on the job. The hard part is living on the salary for this type of work.

Good luck on the job hunting Kimberly.

Amelia Moxon
09-11-2005, 06:03 AM
If you want it go for it, I would have loved to work in a women’s clothing store when I was looking for a temporary job whilst i was at college, surrounded by all of those lovely clothes, go for it Girl.

Hugs
Michelle xxx

Shelly Preston
09-11-2005, 03:33 PM
I would love to go for it if I was familar with the retail sector.

However, I agree with Chrystal on where the pay would go.

I think I might feel like a rabbit caught in the headlights, with so much temption can you blame a girl

Maddie Knight
09-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I would love to work in a clothes shop but the pays not that good and most of my wage would go on the stock.
I'll stick to engineering for now.

StephanieCD
09-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I used to sell shoes for Nine West. It was wonderful. They loved me as a salesman - I was young and pretty decent looking so all these housewives would swoon when I told them a particular shoes looked sexy, etc. I got the job fairly easily citing a latent interest in fashion and no problems being a guy in a ladies store - I even said I thought I'd be able to sell well offering a guys opinion.

I got many comments about how knowledgable I was and I was seen as a great salesman, rather than a girly boy. The couple times friends would raise their eyebrow at my job I'd just say "hey it's a paycheck for now, dude". And that was that.

In hindsight - it was a great experience. And if you're into sales/retail - go for it. Anything that makes the day a little better is worth it... but having an excuse to be in the ladies department is very nice ;) My favorite part was I was actually paid to go into the ladies shoe departments at local stores and spy on their marketing and pricing. So I would just walk in thinking "this is my job, it's ok".

Go for it!

Stormgirl
09-11-2005, 03:46 PM
No,I wouldnt do it,think being around women all day would drive me nuts.

Kimberly
09-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, it's not like this is a career move - it's just a part time job... and there's a long list of jobs on this thing I got from the Job Centre. (Like I said, new Mall opening in Norwich)... but most of the part time stuff is at women's clothes shops. Either that or I work in Ben and Jerrys!! Which one would be more tempting?? Hmmm... ice cream... fashion........

Do I need to answer? :p

michellejean
09-11-2005, 04:06 PM
well i worked in retail and wholesale for 45 yrs and worked on commission from 8 to 10 percent and made real good money(65k to 225k per yr.) so if you think you can do it and you feel good about your self go for it.but no wage an hour or you will starve.work on comm.only 5 to 6 days a week.i was in lady,s shoes and i learned real quick read all i could about it and kept on studying how,where,when and what about ladies shoes .michellejean.mrshighheels.ps.i work as a man that was the hard part,,,but i made it.

norbie
09-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes, if you can handle it, defently go for it.
Oh I would love so much to be in a shoe shop and help girls trying on shoes.
But if you realy get it, you must try to catch up with some courses in customer relation, how to treat the customer and so on.
I hope you get in.
Norbie

Rachael Warren
09-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Lovely thought, shop discounts etc.

But, it wouldn't be right, part of the job requires intimacy with the GG clientell.

Sorry, a big no no for me!

Rachael. :)

Katrina
09-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I would definately say go for it. I have seen a lot of men working in what seemed to be typical female jobs. There are two guys working in different make-up counters (one in a Nordstroms and one in a Sephora) near me. I have also seen guys in Nine West and a few other shoe stores that only sell women's shoes. In my opinion, unless the guy working there is noticebly feminine, I am actually more uncomfortable when I see a guy behind the counter if I'm buying stuff for myself.

cd_isabelle
09-11-2005, 07:25 PM
hi there,

i would say go ahead and apply, whats the worst that can happen, they will politely say no and then you move on. on the other side, they say yes and you have a job that you would love and look forward too.

one caution i would say is that you would have to approach the job correctly, just as every other employee of the business and not just as someone who wants to be surrounded by feminine items. if your heart is in the right place then i wish you the best of luck.

keep us informed if you choose to apply.

good luck,

cd_isabelle

HaleyPink2000
09-12-2005, 02:05 AM
I think that would be great!
My first bet would be a wig shop or alterations studio.

Haley:)

Lisa Golightly
09-12-2005, 02:31 AM
I always had this dream of being the manager at Dorothy Perkins... The other boys wanted to be footballers and firemen, but I wanted to be the manager at Dorothy Perkins... No wonder my mum took my Sindy and Barbie dolls away.... awwww... and she threw away my panda :( I loved that Panda... guess that's why I have so many teddy bears now :)

Donna
09-12-2005, 06:29 AM
What can you loose if it dosen't work out?

Donna

michellejean
09-12-2005, 08:41 AM
this is why you need commission spelled...job posting ???? kw

michellejean
09-12-2005, 08:44 AM
are cd's really truthful with spouse ,as michelle jean?

urban gypsy
09-12-2005, 08:48 AM
If you think you can bring something to GG shopping experience go for it , but if not i'll have to agree with racheal.

mand
09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I always had this dream of being the manager at Dorothy Perkins... The other boys wanted to be footballers and firemen, but I wanted to be the manager at Dorothy Perkins... No wonder my mum took my Sindy and Barbie dolls away.... awwww... and she threw away my panda :( I loved that Panda... guess that's why I have so many teddy bears now :)

Hmmm yes Lisa, Dorothy Perkins, I love there clothes, what a job :)

Kimberly, I say definetley go for it if you're intrested :)

love mand xxx....smile