PDA

View Full Version : Any pilots out there?

Aprilrain
11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I am a pilot and I'm concerned about how the FAA deals with transition. Of course there is all the paperwork, name change and what not. I'm sure that is fairly straight forward however if I start hormones I'm afraid they will take issue with that as they are extremely conservative about medical issues especially medications. I've already had another medical issue with them that took about 2 years to sort out so I am not looking forward to their potential response. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sharon
11-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I haven't any links to actual news articles, but I have read several times about major airline pilots who have transitioned.

Melody Moore
11-09-2010, 12:04 PM
See Sarah's Story here: http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TSsuccesses/Sarah.html

Kathryn Martin
11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
If hormones were an issue no woman could ever be a pilot. If you pass your medical there is no reason not to let you fly.

Traci Elizabeth
11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I am a private pilot not commercial but I have not had any problems.

Currently my pilot's license does not match my gender or physical appearance but I can not change them until I legally change my name. But the physician who performed my last fight physical, did not bat an eye.

I use to fly rescue missions for the CAP in the left seat up to a couple years ago. We also had female natal pilots and that was never an issue and they were on some of the same medications I am on. In fact, several of the female pilots could out-fly us "older" pilots and performed better rescue grid patterns than we could ever hope to achieve.

Hope
11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Well I got my certificate at 17, and haven't been able to afford to fly much since... so I am far from an authority... but I would think the only issue would be getting a medical... And even that shouldn't be too difficult. I know that if you have had a surgery in the last 2 years they want a flight surgeon to take a look and make sure that it was performed and has healed properly, but otherwise...

Pythos
11-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Oh this is a major concern for me. I am a commercial pilot, instrument rated single engine land, and I am a rated A&P. As I have stated before, my mother, and aviation are really the only areas I hide my creative side from. I am worried that some FAA official will see I am a crossdresser (in his eyes) and immediately deem me mentally unfit for flying. It may be an irational fear, but it is there.

I had a friend transitioned many years ago, and it was hell for her. She has since settled everything, but the FAA were not very nice during the process. Psyc exam one after the other, evaluations, and just plain cruelty. She lost most of her airport friends, which I thought was just a shame.

Aprilrain
11-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I tend to believe Pythos. I have already been through hell getting a medical but currently hold a special issuance first class medical and don't want to rock the boat. I am randomly drug tested I know they don't test for hormones but I wonder if that could somehow screw with the test?

Aimee20
11-12-2010, 01:23 AM
The only thing that you would have to worry about medication wise is if you are on some serious pain killers or anything like that. Taking female hormones has no affect on your ability to pilot an aircraft; if someone does take issue and try to interfere then you would have grounds for a discrimination lawsuit.

I also can't wait to start working on my pilot's license this winter.

Pythos
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Aimee, it is something that will become part of your life, and a source of pride. There is nothing, and I mean nothing like that feeling when the plane jumps into the air on your first solo flight. The feeling is quite intense.
I wish you much luck and great fortune on your pursuit.

7sisters
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
There is nothing, and I mean nothing like that feeling when the plane jumps into the air on your first solo flight. The feeling is quite intense.

Now even I am smiling by just imagining!

Karen564
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I am randomly drug tested I know they don't test for hormones but I wonder if that could somehow screw with the test?

I can't say I've ever heard of any hormones that mess with the drug screening.....Of course there are certain drugs that can...but don't remember hormones being one of them..

renee k
11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi April,

I'm an airline pilot, but haven't transitioned yet. I understand your concerns. There's been many other pilots that have transitioned and still retained their medicals. I think hormones will not be an issue. I'd find a knowledgeable AME and have a talk. Get their oppinion. Being diagnosed with GID, is not being mentally ill. As far as meds go, your screened for glucose. And like I say have a chat with an AME as far as what meds are accepted. I think you'll find if you transition you have more of a problem with your peers.