PDA

View Full Version : COGIATI test

NathalieX66
11-09-2010, 12:34 PM
How legitimate is the COGIATI test?
Is this something that has much cred in the psychology community?

Melody Moore
11-09-2010, 12:58 PM
It holds no creditability at all Nathalie,

First of all we are all different, and that necessitates in itself the need a psychological assessment, by a proper pyschologist because such a test cannot accurately gauge transsexualism especially when you can steer the results of the COGIATI Test by not answering the questions honestly.

sandra-leigh
11-09-2010, 01:20 PM
The test is at best statistical for each of the answers -- e.g., that males have been found to be statistically better at sound location than females (standard hypothesis: because males hunted more). However, the test does not have cross-checks, and does not consider correlations between answers, so it cannot detect if the answers are being skewed (even if only by what the person wants to believe is true.)

The test does not take in to account the wide variation in individual capabilities and training, and it works with subjective answers rather than objective. An example of this is the question about whether you are most likely to be the first to react when the phone rings: I find that I am usually the first person to react when the phone rings, but that isn't because I "hear" it faster but rather because it disturbs me more to let it go and I tend to take more individual responsibility than others do -- I am not "fast", I am just more likely to be the person that does something about it first. Different meanings of "react". I gather that the typical teenaged daughter is much much faster to jump to answer the phone than I would be :D

Stephanie Anne
11-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I invalidate any tests for transsexuals that basis their answers on sexuality or a desire to wear women's clothes. That would be like a test to see if you are gay by you color preference and ability to dress well.

Kaitlyn Michele
11-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Taking the COGIATI test is like talking to your long dead great great grandmother through a psychic at a state fair...in fact, you are better off with the psychic.

RADER
11-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Please forgive me for asking; but what is a COGIATI test
Rader

Gerrijerry
11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Simply put. NO, not in the psychology community. It may be fun for some to take it but it has no value for evaluation of a person.

Byanca
11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I invalidate any tests for transsexuals that basis their answers on sexuality or a desire to wear women's clothes. That would be like a test to see if you are gay by you color preference and ability to dress well.
Considering that professional doctors and so on determines if one is boy or girl based on ones genitalia, I'd say this test is far better then the crude visual thing these 'experts' do. The test ask strange questions. But at least it's asking questions. Just ignore the answer/conclusion, as one probably should do with all psychological tests. Then I find the test interesting.

Karen564
11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
You can take it for fun, but that's about all it's good for...

StaceyJane
11-09-2010, 03:37 PM
The test was written by a transsexual computer programmer who based it on a couple of books she read.
It uses a lot of stereotypes to base it's conclusions on.

Kathryn Martin
11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
To come to her defense though, she warns everyone that they cannot rely on the test, that it is is NOT scientific and that the only answer it might provide is to go and seek out help if you are doubtful.

The test is very naive in it's questions. But let me tell you if you read the questions used in the study that established "autogynephilia" which is supposedly scientific AND the fact that it's diagnosis is currently attempted to be incuded in the new DSM 5 as a mental illness, you would welcome COGIATI with arms wide. And Jennifer at least doesn't pretend to be any more than a lay person. She tried to design something that poor female smucks like us at least have something to cling to while we are searching for our own answers.

Kaitlyn Michele
11-09-2010, 09:05 PM
The problem is that I could make up a test, you could make up a test.....so when you take Cogiati and actually listen to it, its false information, false hope, or false fear....

so its not worth anything..all the spinning around in your head about what to do IS the problem...Tests don't make it better...

Kathryn Martin
11-09-2010, 09:08 PM
The problem is that I could make up a test, you could make up a test.....so when you take Cogiati and actually listen to it, its false information, false hope, or false fear....

so its not worth anything..all the spinning around in your head about what to do IS the problem...Tests don't make it better...

I agree

RADER
11-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I guess I have to ask this question; How many # 2 pencils do I have to bring. Rader

NathalieX66
11-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks, everybody.
I read throught it and I thought it was kind of hokey, but I didn't want to offend anybody if I said something negative about it.

Kelly DeWinter
11-10-2010, 10:50 PM
How legitimate is the COGIATI test?
Is this something that has much cred in the psychology community?

Any tests make me shudder, I still curl up in a ball at the thought of the SAT.

Hope
11-11-2010, 05:31 AM
it is as valuable, and credible in the psychological community, and written with as much insight as any other Facebook or Cosmo test. Which is to say it is completely and utterly worthless.

Take it for fun if you want - but for the love of all that is holy and good, please Please PLEASE do not make any life altering decisions based on its results.

Pinky188
12-26-2010, 07:09 PM
So I just took the Cogiati test and got a 190. For whatever its worth!!! Im happy with my score. Anyone else take it, and what was your score?

JohnH
12-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I took the test twice; the first time was 140, the second time was around 190.

Debglam
12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm cribbing from my post on COGIATI on another thread but:

I just took it and came up with a -230, "Feminine Male." :eek: I would guess this is probably close to accurate but I have to question the validity of the test. The questions just seemed a little too obvious (and stereotyping at times). Reminded me of a test I once took for a military program I was applying for:

On a given afternoon, you would rather:
a) Pick daisies.
b) Write poetry.
c) Read subversive literature.
d) Blow sh*t up.

Wonder what the "correct" :doh: answer is???

Debby

Melissa Jill
12-26-2010, 07:45 PM
I just took the test.
Your COGIATI result value is: -260 Which means that you fall within the following category:
COGIATI classification TWO, FEMININE MALE

It only told me what I already kind of knew though, that I am mostly male, but should explore my female side from time to time as its a form of personal identity expression

Starla
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
The COGIATI is useful for wasting 20 or 30 minutes; nothing more. Even if the methodology were valid (which it's not), many of the questions are the sort that you may well answer differently at different points in life. As I recall, I took it three times -- once when I was first exploring my gender, once when I was living full-time and lost in my misguided "I am TS" phase, and again well after I descended from my pink cloud back to reality. And I got three very different scores.

Rianna Humble
12-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Just took it again, only got 295 which means I'm only probably a transsexual

Melody Moore
12-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I really don't know why anyone even bothers with this silly test when so
many others have already said it will not determine if you are a transsexual.

There is no such thing as a test to determine of you are truly a transsexual, the only way those answers can be found are through working
with a therapist to help uncover, understand & accept the person you truly are though being totally upfront & honest with yourself & therapist.

Scientist are very close to a breakthrough on coming up with a test for the evidence that might prove that you have a genetic disposition of being
a transsexual, but it still cannot accurately determine who is & is not transsexual. And so far there is no such thing as a question & answer test that
can accurately gauge such things. Questions can be answered dishonestly to garnish a desired result to undergo gender therapy & reassignment.

There was a case here in Australia where one such person, Alan Finch changed to female (http://zagria.blogspot.com/2008/03/by-careful-what-you-wish-for-1.html) with hormones and surgery at the Monash Medical Centre’s gender clinic (http://www.tgfolk.net/sites/gtg/monash_intro.html). He failed the psychiatric evaluation the first time, but had learned the proper answers for a second evaluation & transitioned to Helen Finch. Later Helen de-transitioned after she took up transcendental meditation & had an affair with a woman who encouraged her to revert to being a man in 1997. Alan has sued the Monash Gender Clinic over it, who I dont think should be liable because he lied during his second psychiatric evaluation.

Gender Identity Disorder is now widely believed to a biological condition that has recently been linked to genetic factors (http://shb-info.org/sexbrain.html). Although it has been
defined in the DSM, it is not a psychiatric mental illness & that is why such things should never be determined by such a test or a psychiatric
evaluation. Only a properly trained pyschologist or therapist can only tell by how someone presents themselves & behaves over a long period of
study carried out with discussions with a transgendered person if they are a transsexual with the brain & mind of a member of the opposite sex.

If properly trained professionals can be fooled in such a psychiatric evaluation, then the COGIATI test isn't worth anything
either, if you are serious about understanding where you fit in the gender spectrum, then go see a fully qualified therapist.

Laura_Stephens
12-28-2010, 04:33 PM
it is as valuable, and credible in the psychological community, and written with as much insight as any other Facebook or Cosmo test. Which is to say it is completely and utterly worthless.

Take it for fun if you want - but for the love of all that is holy and good, please Please PLEASE do not make any life altering decisions based on its results.

First they tell me that Santa isn't real.

NOW I hear that the Cosmo surveys aren't real.

Oh God! What's next?

:)

sandra-leigh
12-28-2010, 05:14 PM

NOW I hear that the Cosmo surveys aren't real.

Oh God! What's next?

Coca-Cola is no longer The Real Thing.

Pinky188
12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
I took the test. Scored a 190!!! Yay me!!! But I know it holds not one bit of credibilty! Its like taking one of those fun and silly facebook quizes. Just way longer!!! ;)

JohnH
12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Coca-Cola is no longer The Real Thing.

I hear the thing that make Coca-Cola not the real thing is the use of corn syrup instead of sugar. I understand Coca-Cola imported from Mexico still has sugar in it.

Johanna

Rianna Humble
12-28-2010, 06:17 PM

If Santa isn't real, who brought my Xmas presents?

Hope
12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
You are correct on both counts.

Laura_Stephens
12-31-2010, 07:03 AM
If Santa isn't real, who brought my Xmas presents?

Silly! It was the Tooth Fairy!

JohnH
12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Silly! It was the Tooth Fairy!

I had a friend who was a dentist. He was 193 cm [6' 4"] tall and he had a booming deep voice. I nicknamed him the "Tooth Fairy" which amused him. His CB handle was "Jawbreaker".