PDA

View Full Version : Transgendered Support - revisited

Teri Jean
11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
A few months ago I posted on the subject of support through your actions everyday. In that thread I indicated I had been approached about helping with a class on LBGT issues. The director of the center was given this class and since we have met a year and half ago we have had many conversations so when she asked I was ready.

Today at 9:35am I walked into the class room and for the next hour and fifteen minutes spoke to and answered the questions of the students. It was amazing and yet kind of scary. I gave my story and in some circles they would say wake me up when you are done, LOL, but the students were great.

Now I know there are those out there in the world who have done much more and I would like to say thank you but if we all did more in promoting Transgender awareness the general public could be more educated. Thank you all for your support and wish you all the best. Hugs Teri :love:

Traci Elizabeth
11-09-2010, 09:58 PM
WOW! That is amazing. I am really proud of you. Zenith did a similar thing recently and I agree, it would be really great if we all did more to promote awareness of our communtiy.

Faith_G
11-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for representing us! :hugs:

I've shared my story and answered questions in church spaces as a part of a panel and will be doing it again in another church on the 20th.

Melody Moore
11-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Well done Teri, there needs to be more people willing to step up and educate the youth of today. If you want better Transgender
awareness & acceptance, then I really believe that there really needs to be more of us doing our part to quell the bigotry in society.

Check these statistics out I came across earlier today.

TRANSGENDER-SPECIFIC STATISTICS (http://www.youthprideri.org/Resources/Statistics/tabid/227/Default.aspx) from http://www.youthprideri.org/Resources/Statistics/tabid/227/Default.aspx

33.2% of transgender youth have attempted suicide. Clements-Nolle K., Marx R., Katz M. (2006). Attempted suicide among transgender persons: The influence of gender-based discrimination and victimization. Journal of Homosexuality, 51(3): 53-69.)
55% of transgender youth report being physically attacked. (GLSEN. (2003). The 2003 national school climate survey: the school related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.)
74% of transgender youth reported being sexually harassed at school, and 90% of transgender youth reported feeling unsafe at school because of their gender expression. (GLSEN. (2001). The 2001 national school climate survey: the school related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.)
In a survey of 403 transgender people, 78% reported having been verbally harassed and 48% reported having been victims of assault, including assault with a weapon, sexual assault or rape. (Wilchins, R., Lombardi, E., Priesing, D. and Malouf, D. (1997) First national survey of transgender violence. Gender Public Advocacy Coalition.)
In 2002, a study was published that found that bisexual students in Massachusetts and Vermont were three to six times more likely to use cocaine than their straight classmates. (Robin, L., Brener, N., Donahue, S., Hack, T., Hale, K., Goodenow, C. Associations between health risk behaviors and opposite-, same-, and both-sex sexual partners in representative samples of Vermont and Massachusetts high school students. Archive of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine. Apr;156(4): pp.349-55.)

Teri Jean
11-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Girls it so good to hear those who have stepped up and spoke out in support of the transgender community. I feel blessed that I have done what many of have done before. Thank you for your involvement and support. Teri

Kaitlyn Michele
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
its a very good thing you are doing and i'm happy especially for you!...think of how much your moments with those folks validate who you are and that they were there to listen to YOU and YOUR story!

Zenith
11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Grats Teri...and also a shout out to Kaitlyn's work and Faith...we are making a difference with our courage...

...Zenith did a similar thing recently and I agree, it would be really great if we all did more to promote awareness of our communtiy.

Yes to a medical school, and they recorded it on DVD to archive in the library...O_o