PDA

View Full Version : Social Activisim - We have a seat next to Rosa Parks !

Kelly DeWinter
11-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Social Activisim is something we don't often hear from in the Transgeder Community, but I'm proud to say that Rosa Parks would offer us a seat on her bus for the heartfelt support we have given another member of our community.

See Link:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?143097-I-was-the-prettiest-girl-in-the-world-until...

It was amazing to read the number of member who took an active part in voicing outrage for the agregious way a member of the TG community was treated.

A stylish 'Hats Off' and a warm round of huggs to everyone who participated and supported Christy.

So now comes the big question:

I what way can we continue to promote an ACTIVE awareness of the rights of the Transgendered in our society ?

How about:

TG Thursday - A day of the week dedicated to supporting the TG Community. Each Thursday would be marked by crossdressing for the day.

Creation of the "T" Party = the creation of an elegantly stylish political party of Transgender community activists. (name suggested in another thread)

Any other Ideas ?

Kelly

Sarah Doepner
11-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I don't know if it's a national thing or not, but November is Transgender awareness month in Utah and there are several activities being promoted by the local Pride Center. There is a conference, a chili cook off and a showing of the movie "Two Spirit". I wandered in to the center to pay the rent on the room our Tri-Ess group uses each month and had a wonderful discussion with the staff of the center who are behind these activities. Their funding for T awareness training has mostly been part of their youth programs and they were actually quite pleased to find a crossdresser who wasn't under the age of 21. It's too late for me to get very involved this year, but I'm thinking about how we can help out in the future.

The important part of the discussion with them was that most of their contact with the T community was with Transexuals and the genderqueer, not with adult crossdressers. Those of us who find we can't get it out of our system and stop hiding after we turn 40 or 50 seem to be pretty common here. But it seems they could use our input at the local Pride center. Go ahead and visit with them, they do understand.

DianeDeBris
11-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Kelly is certainly right (as always!) - hundreds of us read how Christy was mistreated at a Ross store and were outraged; and the few dozens of emails that the company received from us forced them to beat a hasty retreat. This may not quite be the equivalent of Stonewall, but TG/CD acceptance by the society at large will not happen until, at some point, we as a group stand up in public and say, "we're here, we're regular people, get used to it." I'm not yet convinced we're ready for an every-week event, but it might be well to begin with some sort of national "everybody out at once" day and some supportive public/media presentations. This Spring might be soon enough to get something accomplished. What do you think?

Kelly DeWinter
11-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't know if it's a national thing or not, but November is Transgender awareness month in Utah and there are several activities being promoted by the local Pride Center. There is a conference, a chili cook off and a showing of the movie "Two Spirit". I wandered in to the center to pay the rent on the room our Tri-Ess group uses each month and had a wonderful discussion with the staff of the center who are behind these activities. Their funding for T awareness training has mostly been part of their youth programs and they were actually quite pleased to find a crossdresser who wasn't under the age of 21. It's too late for me to get very involved this year, but I'm thinking about how we can help out in the future.

The important part of the discussion with them was that most of their contact with the T community was with Transexuals and the genderqueer, not with adult crossdressers. Those of us who find we can't get it out of our system and stop hiding after we turn 40 or 50 seem to be pretty common here. But it seems they could use our input at the local Pride center. Go ahead and visit with them, they do understand.

Under 21 ???? I don't think i've seen more then 4 under 21.

Yes I think i'm going to visit the local center here in Baltimore.

Kelly DeWinter
11-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Kelly is certainly right (as always!) - hundreds of us read how Christy was mistreated at a Ross store and were outraged; and the few dozens of emails that the company received from us forced them to beat a hasty retreat. This may not quite be the equivalent of Stonewall, but TG/CD acceptance by the society at large will not happen until, at some point, we as a group stand up in public and say, "we're here, we're regular people, get used to it." I'm not yet convinced we're ready for an every-week event, but it might be well to begin with some sort of national "everybody out at once" day and some supportive public/media presentations. This Spring might be soon enough to get something accomplished. What do you think?

I don't know about allways right, my kids would NOT agree. I was thinking along the lines of every Thursday, everyone in the TG community would dress (within their comfort) as a show of soldarity (like casual Friday).

Kelly