PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetics purchase

Amanda22
11-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I hope this gives others some encouragement. Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I (me in boy mode) were shopping at a large mall and decided to wander through Macys. We browsed the cosmetics counters and I spotted a nice Dermablend display. While my wife waited to the side, I tracked down two sales associates and asked for help with the product. Very calmly, I said that I wear makeup regularly and even after a fresh shave, I can still see traces of my mustache under L'Oreal foundation. One associate was familiar with Dermablend and tried different tones on my face to get the desired result. She completed the job with a finishing powder that really did complete the look. I purchased cover and powder and my wife and I went on our way, me happily swinging my small bag of goodies.

That's the story but here's my message: Just get out there, keep your head high, and act as though browsing for feminine apparel/cosmetics is the most natural thing in the world. The experience I described above is not my first such encounter with sales associates. If you act relaxed they will, too. Honestly, every SA I've informed that I crossdress and may I have some help choosing a product has gladly helped.

Perhaps I magically hit the right SAs who are understanding, but I give myself some measure of credit for my attitude when making initial contact. Confidence and a smile go a very long way. Retail associates don't care about our private lives! They do care about making sales! If anything, I think that helping a crossdresser would give them a new and rewarding experience.

I know some of you have had very negative and embarrassing experiences while shopping, and those were definitely not your fault. I'm just suggesting that before shopping for dresses or any other fem item whether in guy or girl mode, look at the situation from the SA's point of view and ask yourself what demeanor you'd like to be presented with; a confident, self-assured customer, or a shrinking, trembling mouse who doesn't look like s/he belongs? Make it easier for the SA and you'll be rewarded far more often than not.

girl_in_pantyhose
11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Mandy, you are so right! Maybe we are just both very lucky, but I have yet to have a bad experience buying woman's clothing or makeup. Every sales associate i have ever talked to about being a crossdresser has gone head over heels to help me find a great looking outfit. I see this as a growing trend for retailers recognizing CD's. I mean, our numbers are not getting any lower and our money is just as good as any other non-crossdresser's, so why not help us to spend more?

sissystephanie
11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I am now in my late 70's, and have been buying feminine things since I was in my teens. I have rarely had a bad experience with a SA, and mostly have had some really great experiences!

They are there to make sales, and if you have money to spend they will help you spend it! BTW, many men who are not crossdressers wear makeup to give them better appearance, or to cover up some problem area. I only wear occasional lipstick, now that my wife has passed on, since I am not at all good with other makeup.