PDA

View Full Version : Girl 101

Debglam
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi All,

I have about a million questions I'd like to ask since finding this website but let me start with a basic one:

Any dressing I've done in the past has been strictly piecemeal and I would like to put together my first outfit. My circumstances are such that I can't have a closet full of clothes.:sad:

First, how do I figure out what my sizes are? Lingerie and hose sizes? I'm thinking about a simple outfit to start with (blouse & skirt). Also shoes? I found the cross reference on another post but I have pretty wide feet (10.5 EEE). I want to keep it simple at this stage so low heels?

If it helps, I'm 6', 185 lbs, and wear a 42 men's suit.

Thanks for any advice!

Debby

Trying not to make too big a pest out of myself!

StaceyJane
11-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Don't worry about making a pest. we love to talk about clothes here.
Pantyhose will have a size chart on the package. Just look up your height and weight to see what size.
A simple outfit is a good way to start. find a nice blouse and skirt. Then work to get items that match. You can expand out from that.
And yes low heels are a good way to start. You should take some time to practice walking in them. It's not that hard but it does take a little getting used to.

boardpuppy
11-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi Debby,
You are not going to be a pest, I know I had a lot of questions at first also. We wear about the same size, flats about 11 and heels 12. Try your shoes on with the type of socks/hoses etc you plan to wear, color doesn't matter at first. Research what you are looking for under the clothing section threads if you can't find what you are looking for PM me and I can make some suggestions.

Hugs,
Alice

Karren H
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd pick up the book's... Crossdress for Success and The Lazy Crossdresser... Awesome bocks and really informative if your looking to enhance your skills.... I own both and it helped me greatly when I got back into it....

Meghan
11-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Not sure what your goal is, but to me, the "whole package" consists of wonderful undies, hose, makeup and a nice pair of fashionable shoes. Absent of those options, a simple silky nightie works. In so many words...whatever makes you feel most feminine!

Meg

Evelyn Evenly
11-15-2010, 01:01 AM
aha, I started out with a 4" heel...I wanted shoes badly so I went overboard. They are nice though, too bad they make me a gargantuan.

Just go with a basic blouse, and a nice skirt. Target actually has some pretty nice skirts, decently priced too. As far as underwear goes, That's up to you. I'm partial to thongs and bikini bottoms, but that's just me.

Good luck! :]
Happy hunting

Kathleengurl
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
1) Shop at a goodwill store. This allows you to cheaply experiment w/ look, size, style.
2) Add 1.5 to your men's shoe size to find your equivalent woman's size. I wear a 10.5 to 11 in men.s, or 12 - 12.5 women's. Adjust accordingly for width.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

mklinden2010
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
does it.

Chari
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Good advice from previous posts! Sizes in feminine attire are a bit of a challenge, but can be overcome by measuring yourself - chest, waist, hips, sleeve length, pants inseam, weight, height. Bring these measurments to the store of your choice, and be honest with the SA. Please do tell them you need womens clothes! Your first outfit may be a bit pricey, but they will fit you correctly. Fashion Barn is very accepting to the CD clothing needs, and Kohls allows you to try on any femme clothing except lingerie if you use the guy changing room! Through some trial & error, you will find what fits you best at a reasonable price. IMO thrift stores offer alot of items in a variety of sizes, materials, colors, & textures, and you can try on anything in private, and spend very little. Starting with the basic black or navy skirt - your choice of length/material, add a white blouse, a bulky sweater, a colorful T top, longer scarf, a pair of well fitted girl jeans, and a pair of low heel black shoes. Complete your new wardrobe with a few accessories like clip on earrings, a wig, and you have a good start for feminine mix-n-match outfits. PM me if you need more help in fashion.

Lainie
11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Try before you buy! Always try on clothes, because your shape is non-standard & also the larger sizes vary more in shape thAn the small ones. I do like fashion resale boutiques. Often good selection & friendly.
Start with size 14 or16 skirts & dresses, look for elastic waistbands & open shoulders. You will want dark sweaters or tops. Blouses may need to be bigger sizes--you are not a number!
Do interact with the salesladies--it's half the fun!

Christina2008
11-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I agree with online sizing charts. A great way to measure yourself in the comfort of your home, just remember not all brands are the same size so check a few different sites. Then you can go into their real store and buy with some confidence the clothes should fit.

A quick look at the back of a hose packet gives you your size quickly too, height + shoe size = small/med/or large. Plus they usually have a lot of stretch even if you do get it slightly wrong.

Have fun and enjoy when you start tryin on your new items

danielletorresani
11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
For me it was total trial and error.

DianeDeBris
11-17-2010, 11:14 PM
All these suggestions are helpful, and definitely working with the SA's is half the fun of shopping -- as to pantyhose, remember too that genetic women often have a greater proportion of their weight in their hips and butt, so you may want to look for your size and weight but then adjust by one size to account for the difference.

Jorja
11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
One of my big drawbacks to shopping for cloths is that I am color blind. If I don't have someone with me I will call over an SA explain that I am color blind and could she help me pick out a nice outfit. I have never had a problem getting help and the SAs have been wonderful at finding just what I want or like.

Charise52
11-18-2010, 11:43 AM
i do have wedge platform heels and they feel great on my legs... but I usually wear Birkenstock sandals, and they go with any outfit. I have found some really cool skirts at the thrift stores... It is an adventure to find clothes... I just got an awesome skirt and some awesome tops at Nordstrom Rack. I think Target is a good place to shop as well...

Pythos
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Debglam

In response to your hosiery question.

NOTHING will make you hate hosiery like some here do more than getting ill fitting, and or cheap hose.

If you have never worn them, then get yourself more than one size of the same brand at first. That size chart is for women, we men do not have full hips which these size charts take in to consideration. I am pretty tall, and thin and find that size B pantyhose, and tights fit just perfectly.

Get a good brand. Leggs for me has been the best so far. Sheer energy either sheer to waist or control top are quite tough. Once you have gotten used to putting these on, then you can move onto the more delicate versions like silken mist (very nice but also very easily damaged hose).

Put them on right. Don't pull them on like pants, you will run the risk to utterly damage them. There are many guides on the net dealing with how to put pantyhose on. Basics being take it slow with smooth hands or even gloves.

Figure out what you want under them. This is a big deal, cause the wrong unders with them will make them uncomfortable. I wear just the hose myself, it is to me much more comfortable, and eliminates any kind of underwear lines under tight fitting garments. It takes a bit to get used to, but after a while it becomes second nature.

The choice in skirt and the rest of the outfit is one you need to work out. Getting advice is always good, except for the fact much of these suggestions are based off of mainstream thinking, and therefor no real originality will take place. Do take their advice but also apply your own ideas.

Shoes are very important. Wrong type or size can really make you hate them. If you wear heels, wear them around the house first. Get a feel for the movement and how to properly and comfortably move. Walking in heels is a skill, no doubt about it. But it is also fun.

Wear something comfortable at first. medium length skirt, generally loose, leave the short and tight for later (something to look forward to). Just get comfortable.

TommyII
11-18-2010, 12:51 PM
All good advise in the previous posts. Experiment with what you like style wise. You will have to try different sizes. Different styles will maybe need different sizes. I now have everything from jeans to casual dresses to evening gowns. Plain femme jeans work great during the day and no one will know. Loose tops if you don't want your bra to show. I dress low key/casual during the day and get a little more femme at home. Take time with the heel height. I started with 3" heels and worked up to 5". Mostly I find 4" to be OK now for long periods and use them to "warm up" before putting on the 5". Women take years to learn it all. So don't be harsh with yourself, take your time and enjoy the jouney.

Debglam
11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Thank you all SOOO much! I am working out a plan based on all of this good advice and can't wait to let you know how it works out. :D

Debby

audreyinalbany
11-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Debglam......I'm 5'10", 190 lbs and wear a size 42 suit. Over time, I've found that women's size 12 jeans fit me pretty good, but dresses are a problem because of men's wider shoulders I've got a couple dresses that are size 16 and they're tight.
Tops and skirts are another issue. I've finally conceded that in most tops I'll take an XL (K-Mart actually has a pretty nice selection in the "Jacklyn Smith" line) But skirts, I'm not so sure. Sometimes a 12-14 is fine, other times, depending, I guess, on the fabric and how stretchy it is, I'll take a 16. It's this big damn gut that seems to be the problem. When all else has failed, I've looked for skirts that come s-m-l and xl.
My understanding is, if this is any help, that gg's sometimes have the same problem. Sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If it's at all practical, try on before you buy.
I'm also of the school that says Good will is a reasonable option.If you screw up and buy the wrong size you're only out a couple of bucks. Stay away from the Salvation Army, as their company policy is not terribly gender variant friendly.

MJ
11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
goodwill store's second hand stores that's where i started shoe size is like two sizes bigger than your own my guy shoes are an 8 that makes me a 10 but i go with an 11 i have wide feet,
tops and blouse will be bigger up top skirts and dress paints smaller as we don't have the hips so example tops size 14 and up skirts size 10 and up you do need the courage to try them on as not all size's are created equal found out the hard way.
dresses fit great up top but too big in the waste easy fix ,

may i say try a dressing service because the hair brings the girl in you to life well worth investing in hope this helps

huggs