PDA

View Full Version : Fond Memories :]

Evelyn Evenly
11-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I remember the first time I ever went out looking for a pair of heels...
I went to a popular store in the mall that was rather small.

You had to ask to see the shoes (they were on a high shelf)

And when I asked the woman at the front desk if they had a certain pair of heels in a size 9 1/2, she told me no, but the shoes run a little big and they had a 9.

She handed me the box, and loudly asked me if I wanted to try them on.
The majority of the population of the store heard her, I was mortified.
Even though I felt like everyone in the store was glaring at me, I still took the shoes back to the only chair in the building and tried them on.

I didn't end up buying them and I felt pretty embarrassed for the rest of the day, but now that I look back on it all I can do is smile.

How about you?
Any fond memories?

Diane Smith
11-15-2010, 04:02 AM
That brings back memories of something that happened to me in the early '80s. I had never been out of the house dressed at that time, but saw a pair of fancy brown Martinez Valero 4" spike-heeled pumps in a shoe store at the local mall that I just had to have. They were very expensive by my standards at the time, something like $125 back then. It would never have occurred to me to try them on in the store in those years. I'm sure I looked nervous and I probably circled by the store window ten times before I finally went in. It took all the courage I could muster to ask the SA if they had a pair in size 10. They did, she fetched them for me and I bought them, trying to act as disinterested as I could about the transaction, although inside my mouth was dry and my heart was pounding. I figured I had "gotten away with it," but as I was leaving the store, the SA said, "They'll look great on you, I hope they fit!"

I prayed for the earth to open up and swallow me on the spot, but I don't think there was anybody else around to hear. I actually managed a wave and a smile to the SA after she said that, and I made it, shaking, out to the car and got home in one piece. The shoes fit well and I still have them, somewhere, although they're kind of worn out now (and strangely enough, don't look nearly as sexy and appealing as they did back then -- I've bought a lot of shoes since that I like much better).

That was about the last time I bought shoes in a store without trying them on. That and a few other experiences convinced me they all know when you're shopping for yourself anyway, so it's a lot easier just not to be all nervous and stealthy about it.

It's also why I now think it's much easier to shop en femme. You can always make sure the shoes fit, and neither you nor the SA has to be circumspect about your intentions.

- Diane

Karren H
11-15-2010, 06:26 AM
I remember in grade school, the local girls used to play "Catch the boy and put a dress on him".... and while I was not the slowest kid in the neighborhood.... I seemed to get caught way more than any one else!! :) I can still remember the smell of that old satin dress............ and how good it felt when they put it on me......

linnea
11-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Oh, my gosh, Karren! I wish that that had been a playground game where I grew up--no such luck!

Chiana
11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
I remember in grade school, the local girls used to play "Catch the boy and put a dress on him".... and while I was not the slowest kid in the neighborhood.... I seemed to get caught way more than any one else!! :) I can still remember the smell of that old satin dress............ and how good it felt when they put it on me......

I have never heard of any such game, darn it. I think Karren must have invented it.