PDA

View Full Version : USA or UK

janec
11-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Just wondering is cross-dressing more accepted in the US or the UK from what i read on here it seems that it is somewhat more accepted in the US if so i am booking my tickets and applying for green card

busker
11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Janec, not sure where you are coming from, but I would say the "good ol' USA" is really at the bottom of the heap for just about everything else in life at the present time and likely to be there for at least another decade, you would have to be 24/7 if you were going to come here just to CD. 15 million out of work, another million foreclosures this year, jobs scarce as hen's teeth. And the worst part of it is, if you hit bottom, there is nothing here to help you. It's a very cold place generally. IT is definitely NOT EUROPE.

janec
11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Maybe the moving is not such a good idea then just seems that there is more support than here although its hard to see from the closet so will carry on enjoying cding in here as i am a long way from 24/7 and also my wife is even farther away from that stage if ever

NancyTO
11-15-2010, 09:38 PM
I dunno, it seems there seems to be a lot more history of more iconic crossdressers on British Television. Danny LaRue, the Monty Python crew, Barry Humphries, Eddie Lizard and just about every British sitcom like Little Britain, Carry On Doctor seems to have some crossdressing episodes to them . The Way Out club also seems to be going strong after many years. Probably the best CD movie, Just Like a Woman, was a UK production.

Karren H
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I assume, it depends on where you live in either country.... I assume there's more accepting and less accepting parts of each..... But if you add all the accepting people up in each country and divide it by the number of crossdressers in that country times avagadros number...... The US wins because it's larger... (I rounded up.... and made up all the variables..... what engineers do best) :)

Short answer.... Beats me??

NathalieX66
11-15-2010, 10:22 PM
i know some people in England, and they kind of told me that in spite of how progressive Americans think UK or Europe is, it's not as progressive as you may think.
Here in the US, you will have no problem in the big metro areas like City or Boston or L.A. or San Francisco, or small metro areas.
The only time I get a bad feeling is down south in the rural areas that have a large constituency of Christian fundamentalists, and their preoccupation with parables from the Old testament.
The word "transgender" comes up pretty much every day in the newspapers so it's not like the general public isn't aware.

Nacy TO, you forget that we have RuPaul on tv here in the US. Long before that was Milton Berle in the 1950's and Flip Wilson in the late 1960's

Gina X
11-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi Janec, not sure where you are coming from, but I would say the "good ol' USA" is really at the bottom of the heap for just about everything else in life at the present time and likely to be there for at least another decade, you would have to be 24/7 if you were going to come here just to CD. 15 million out of work, another million foreclosures this year, jobs scarce as hen's teeth. And the worst part of it is, if you hit bottom, there is nothing here to help you. It's a very cold place generally. IT is definitely NOT EUROPE.

As a matter of interest are there many skilled workers ie Plumbers, Carpenters, Electricians etc out of work in the US.................

Lots of love Gina x

erickka
11-16-2010, 06:37 AM
From what I've seen in my lifetime, the Brits are much more open than Americans. There is less sensorship (take Benny Hill for instance..shown here in the U.S= snip-snip edit, whreas in the U.K, it's all o.k.) and they generally seem to roll with the punches a little more. That being said, and having been close friends with several Brits in Fl,( and even working for a nice couple) It seems that they are not phased a bit about the silly things in life. So maybe it isn't so bad on the other side of the pond.

Joanne f
11-16-2010, 06:56 AM
It`s like most things , if you are in a tolerant area then you can not understand why some make so much fuss about it but if you are in a none tolerant area then you find it hard to understand how some can be so open with it , in the town where i live it would definitely be frowned upon yet travel a few miles to anther town and know one would take any notice of you but as i have said before it is not the thousands that pass you by and take no notice of you that will effect you it is the odd one or two that makes a point of picking on you that effects you the most but(always that but):heehee: saying that from what i have seen of some things in some states of America i would be very frightened to be a bit different , only going by the television thought, ( why does it feel odd to abbreviate television down to TV on here ):heehee:

ICU Nurse
11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I say split the difference and check out Canada. ;)

juno
11-16-2010, 08:54 AM
I can think of a lot of negatives about USA; it is easy to see the bad parts of the country you live in. My brother has some friends who got fed up with US-ians and moved to New Zealand. They like it there, but are considering moving back because they still have so many friend and family ties to the US. For most people, I think the better solution is to move to a nicer part of your current country.

AliciaWeb
11-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I have no experience of the US but have been going out alone in the UK for some time. I have found that busy places are the best, everyone is too interested in their own affairs to worry too much about other people. There have been a few incidents but nothing that could be described as threatening. Confidence and making others believe that you think you should be there helps. Go out and "wave the flag", the more CDs are seen the more accepted we will be. Don't think you will pass, mostly you will beun-noticed or ignored and usually accepted. I have found that most shops and cafes do not bat an eye in towns.

Alice Torn
11-16-2010, 11:02 AM
The sour , painful economy, and cost of housing, makes it very hard to move these days. Seriously, we seem to be going into a depression, as this is one of the longest downturns in 75 yrs. Thrift and charity stores are doing well. Be careful, wherever you try going out.

Sophie86
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I kinda thought crossdressing was like a national sport in the UK, right up there with cricket and football. I'm thinking of the Doctor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7U7cQXVQQ&feature=related)and Martha at the Globe Theater:

Martha: "And those are men dressed as women, yeah?"

The Doctor: "London never changes..."

MargaretJ
11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Living in a modest sized town in the UK, where everybody knows everybody, (thats polite speak for, can't help sticking their noses into other peoples business), I wouldn't want my CDing to be known. The sole reason being, that there are a few scum bags who I know, who would go out of their way to make my life hell. Looking from our side of the Atlantic you could get the impression it is all roses over there, regarding tolerance to CDing. Being somewhat of a cynic, I don't fall for that. Instead I believe that most folk, either here, in the states, or anywhere else, are to busy with their own lives to worry about some guy dressed in female attire, some folk will raise an eyebrow, some folk will be interested, and there will always be an element who will seize on it as a sign of weakness and a jolly good excuse to persecute someone.

Frédérique
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
The sour, painful economy, and cost of housing, makes it very hard to move these days. Seriously, we seem to be going into a depression, as this is one of the longest downturns in 75 yrs. Thrift and charity stores are doing well. Be careful, wherever you try going out.

I think we are in a DEPRESSION, albeit not completely similar to the famous one in the 1930’s. It’s a word that few dare to speak, just like all other politically-incorrect words or phrases. You know, if we don’t mention it, it just might go away…
:doh:

It is difficult to move around, especially if you’re a crossdresser. I can’t think of a good place to display one’s grasp of enlightenment via clothing anywhere in the USA. It all depends on your particular level of accomplishment, and your tolerance of the intolerant…

Being somewhat of a cynic, I don't fall for that. Instead I believe that most folk, either here, in the states, or anywhere else, are to busy with their own lives to worry about some guy dressed in female attire, some folk will raise an eyebrow, some folk will be interested, and there will always be an element who will seize on it as a sign of weakness and a jolly good excuse to persecute someone.

Yeah, that about sums it up. Don’t go looking for trouble. I can only talk about the few places I’ve lived, namely Massachusetts and Kansas. Both places were (or are) the same in regards to intolerance, but in Massachusetts you can expect a more vocal response if you are noticed – I never had any problems going around en femme, or shopping, but there were so many people that you tend to get lost in the crowd for better or worse. People really are too busy with their own lives to notice a solitary crossdresser, or initiate a confrontation with one…

Here in Kansas I feel isolated, but there are fewer people and, subsequently, much more room to move around in. I wouldn’t expect ridicule or censure if I was caught crossdressing in public, but I’m discrete at all times by default. People are accepting and tolerant, I feel, but I think they would see crossdressing as a problem that goes against their upbringing, since gender roles are mainly pre-determined for the good of the family. I don’t wish to upset the delicate balance that is in place here on the prairie, so I measure my crossdressing time accordingly and keep to myself, same as it ever was…

dilane
11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I've never been to the UK, but I've read a lot about current life there (and am fascinated by the Victorian period).

I've had no problem walking around in public over the last 20 years here in Southern California. The worst I've gotten is "Oh, my god, that's a guy!" from some young ladies. I've never gotten anything hateful or threatening.

I'm not sure, but it seems that the British underclass (which is mostly caucasian from what I've read) is a bit nastier than the American underclass. I don't think we have the phenomenon of "yobs" or the drunken brawling class in the same numbers. Maybe in the rural areas? Bear in mind that I only have experience in California, but I have thousands of hours of out and about "face time".

My impression is that the American public in large cities at least, is quite polite, and keeps its thoughts to itself.

I hope I haven't ignited a trans-atlantic war!! I'm interested in what folks here have to say, and not close-minded, these are just my impressions from afar.

docrobbysherry
11-16-2010, 09:03 PM
U SHOULD be asking, "Where is the best place to live in the US?":brolleyes:

Remember, the entire UK could fit into ONE of our states!:eek: The cultural and economic differences here r QUITE DRAMATIC! :straightface:

Take the county I live in; with maybe 4+ million people. There r clean, safe, well to do and beautiful neighborhoods! And also some, dirty, unsafe after dark, rundown and poor neighborhoods!:sad:

If you're serious about relocating, u need to VISIT HERE! Go to the places u think u mite like and decide for yourself! If your first visit is LESS than 2 months long, you'll probably have to come back again to choose!:)

busker
11-16-2010, 09:06 PM
As a matter of interest are there many skilled workers ie Plumbers, Carpenters, Electricians etc out of work in the US.................

Lots of love Gina x

Hi Gina,
As I understand it, they are out of work in droves. Since the construction industry is a large labor pool, and housing construction is now at an all time low, from what i understand, it is not a good time to be a carpenter, electrician or plumber, though plumbers probably do better simply because every house might need a plumber for drains or whatever. The last figure I heard was that around 12 million NEW homes are built yearly and there are now that many or more on the market and needing owners. Some speculative construction going on but not enough to keep regular work hours .
So what that does mean, is that all the CDer's who are in construction business get a lot more time to dress up, but no money to buy new clothes.
ttfn

JustineFallow
11-17-2010, 03:31 AM
It always seemed to me that the UK had a much higher comfort level with CD'ing, possibly because of their theatrical history among other things, but if actual residents are saying here that it's not necessarily the case, I'm not going to argue with them. Both times I'd been there I visited a Transformation salon, and the fact that such a business exists as a chain impresses me. One thing to note, however: It seems that on alt.com, there are a LOT more women in the UK, when you account for the population difference between there and N. America, who are interested in CD's. Being a rabid Anglophile, that's just a bonus, but a really big one!

I assume, it depends on where you live in either country.... I assume there's more accepting and less accepting parts of each..... But if you add all the accepting people up in each country and divide it by the number of crossdressers in that country times avagadros number...... The US wins because it's larger... (I rounded up.... and made up all the variables..... what engineers do best) :)

Short answer.... Beats me??

Avogadro's Number? Fellow science nerd, are we? ;)

Sallee
11-17-2010, 04:14 AM
I must have been in England, NW London all of 3 hrs and I ran into 2 or 3 cross dressers. Two in the grocery store. Frm that experience I would have to say England

t-girlxsophie
11-17-2010, 06:33 AM
When I first came on here I had preconceived ideas that CDing would be reviled in the US.Maybe I've been watching too many gritty US drama's etc on television lol.

But It seems to me that America has a lot going for it on the TG front,compared to the UK.But as others have said,I suppose it all comes down to what parts of our respective countries we are from e.g. here in Scotland I wouldn't feel able to cross dress in the Highlands and Islands where they are more Presbyterian,and fire and brimstone than in most other parts of the Country.But even if it was much better anywhere else,I Couldn't ever leave my Land I would hope to make It better from within

Of course We must all be aware of our surroundings,and which places you go,regardless of where you are in the World

:hugs:Sophie

VtVicky
11-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I lived in the UK for 2 years about 30 years ago. A long time before the openness of the internet. My sense then was that the British were much more tolerent of CDing. A lot more of it in the media, (and the Parliment?). While in the States, CDing was much less open, or accepted.

I would caution those of you in the UK to not accept this forum as the standard for how CDing is handled over here. This is a big country, and some areas are much more tolerant than others.

Loni
11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
it all depends on were you live and who is living around you, most small towns will not like you. most big city's will tolerate you.
but stay in the light in the city's or you will not walk out into the light again. but the stores love what money we do have.
and if you come here bring enough money to live on for a good ten years. work is hard to come by right now, crime is on the increase. what with the feds doing things to make company's move to china. good jobs are leaving and more and more people trying to get the lesser jobs.

Rachel Morley
11-18-2010, 01:17 AM
My personal experience is .... "it all depends" ..... it depends on where you go. London, Brighton, Manchester etc... not a problem. Similarly, San Fransisco, New York, Atlanta, etc ... not a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is good and bad on both sides of the pond. :2c:

GingerLeigh
11-18-2010, 05:08 AM

You're kidding right? I mean you're from the "Detroit area", same here except from the Canadian side of the river. Oh, right. A nurse is always in demand. Jobs (except in health care) are as scarce as a hen's tooth as someone else put it.

Tolerant in Canada? Huh. Someone burnt a cross on a African Canadian's lawn a few months ago on the East Coast. Your neighbors in Windsor are constantly beating up homosexuals downtown. I had "I'M GAY" written in the dirt on my tailgate and a bra hung from my licence plate. Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us.

Ginger

Jeanna
11-18-2010, 05:57 AM
You're kidding right? I mean you're from the "Detroit area", same here except from the Canadian side of the river. Oh, right. A nurse is always in demand. Jobs (except in health care) are as scarce as a hen's tooth as someone else put it.

Tolerant in Canada? Huh. Someone burnt a cross on a African Canadian's lawn a few months ago on the East Coast. Your neighbors in Windsor are constantly beating up homosexuals downtown. I had "I'M GAY" written in the dirt on my tailgate and a bra hung from my licence plate. Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us.

Ginger\

Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us. Probably the best quote that I've read in a long time. All of the large cities in the world have more diversity than any small city any where. Ottawa, capital of Canada is very accepting to any race or sexual orientation but go 5 blocks in the wrong direction and you'll have walked into a quagmire of degenerates.

Jeanna
11-18-2010, 06:04 AM

Ginger\

Tolerant? Sadly, maybe tolerant for A#$%oles but not people like us. Probably the best quote that I've read in a long time. All of the large cities in the world have more diversity than any small city any where. Ottawa, capital of Canada is very accepting to any race or sexual orientation but go 5 blocks in the wrong direction and you'll have walked into a quagmire of degenerates.

noeleena
11-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Hi..

Can i sugest New zealand first & then Austraila,,as iv been in oz e & am accepted there as well.

Now of cause ill say N Z because we live here if you would like to be accepted then you accept our ways & then become a part of us join in the things we do & allow others to get to know you ,

Any way just a thought .

...noeleena...

Deborah_UK
11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
My personal experience is .... "it all depends" ..... it depends on where you go. London, Brighton, Manchester etc... not a problem. Similarly, San Fransisco, New York, Atlanta, etc ... not a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is good and bad on both sides of the pond. :2c:

:iagree:

As someone who ventured out en femme (pre transition) in the USA (Hanover PA) and is now living F/T in a small town near Nottingham UK, I had no problems in the US (except for trying to eat a rather fantastic french onion soup without wrecking my lippy) and since my transition have had no issues in the UK.

I've become a firm believer in the premise that if you behave as if you belong you get no (or few) problems, but if you shy from interaction then thats when issues arise.

suzy1
11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Here in the U.K. you can be ridiculed if you crossdress.
In the U.S. they pull a gun on you. Or have I been watching too much American T.V.
O.K. I was joking, Really!

SUZY

julie w
11-18-2010, 06:05 PM
I have been out dressed in both countrys .But theres not a cut and dry answer , How well do you pass ? do you dress to blend in ? and the most important
where you are , Being out in central London or New York is Ok but venture into the sounding areas and it might get trickery,

Jay Cee
11-18-2010, 06:06 PM

I'd second that motion. Just carefully pick where you end up. In Winnipeg, for example, we have a reasonably open GLBT community. We also, however, have very cold winters.

julie w
11-18-2010, 06:15 PM
I will second Canada I would go out in Vancouver Toronto or Montreal rather than London or NY not sure about Halifax though
I travel a lot ,

janec
11-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I guess it seems that which ever side of the pond you live on the big cities are the places to be as for jobs etc also seems that we are all facing the same problems more and more jobs disapearing and the working classes suffering whilst the rich get richer

Helen_Highwater
11-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Trying not to stereotype:
There certainly are cultural differences; despite having a reputation for being prim and proper, reserved even, the UK is in many respects a very forgiving laid back if not sophisticated place. If a celeb accidentally swears on prime time TV, so what, it’s no big deal. Gay men kissing in dramas go un-noticed. Ill treat a dog or a cat and you’ll be hunted down.

There isn’t anywhere near the equivalent of the bible belt and that I feel has an effect. And while the UK is an island we’re now so closely joined to Europe and exposed to the different cultures there that that has an influence on how we react. In the past couple of years I’ve holidayed in France, Belgium, Italy and Spain. 90% of Brits have a valid passport and use it. True there are those who would like to see the English Channel used as a moat to keep Johnny foreigner at bay but they’re fewer and fewer.

One big difference that seems to be somewhat at the forefront of certain aspects of US thinking is the use of the fear factor by politicians, scare the populous and implement all sorts of draconian legislation or even go to war. Brits tend to worry about it if and when it happens. It’s the “You can’t live your life being afraid of what if” mentality. Smoking and junk food will kill more people than terrorists ever will.

So back to the question: where is CD’ing more tolerated. In larger conurbations, it’s probably the same whichever side of the pond you’re on.

TxKimberly
11-18-2010, 09:45 PM
And it's always greener on the other side . . .

Sophie86
11-18-2010, 11:27 PM
And it's always greener on the other side . . .

How do you ever survive in Texas, Kimberly, with all those guns and redneck cowboys?

t-girlxsophie
11-19-2010, 12:09 AM
There isn’t anywhere near the equivalent of the bible belt and that I feel has an effect.

With respect Helen you havent been to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland In communities where the Free Church of Scotland (wee free's) are in a majority,To Crossdress there would be seen as an Abomination,and "the Bad fire" would surely beckon LOL,be a brave soul who would venture there dressed (hmmm)They would give the bible belt a run for their money,Indeed they have 5 Congregations in the States inc Atlanta,GreenvilleSC and Washington DC.

But i agree with you It is Probably the same in Larger,more populated areas no matter where in the world you are

:hugs:Sophie

Christina2008
11-19-2010, 07:03 PM
No experience of the USA, but I’ve had no problems so far in the uk. It all depends on where you live though, in either country.

I was in Canada for 2 weeks this year and didn’t cd once, my attention was too focused on the beauty of the country. Next time i'm back, 2012, I’ll make more of an effort :)

chris80
11-20-2010, 02:36 AM
How do you ever survive in Texas, Kimberly, with all those guns and redneck cowboys?
She travels a lot

chris80
11-20-2010, 02:43 AM
i know some people in England, and they kind of told me that in spite of how progressive Americans think UK or Europe is, it's not as progressive as you may think.
Here in the US, you will have no problem in the big metro areas like City or Boston or L.A. or San Francisco, or small metro areas.
The only time I get a bad feeling is down south in the rural areas that have a large constituency of Christian fundamentalists, and their preoccupation with parables from the Old testament.
The word "transgender" comes up pretty much every day in the newspapers so it's not like the general public isn't aware.

Nacy TO, you forget that we have RuPaul on tv here in the US. Long before that was Milton Berle in the 1950's and Flip Wilson in the late 1960's

where there is ignorance there is prejudice. If they are too stupid to be able to read then all they know is what their preacher tells them.
BTW are not the parables in the New Testament?

TxKimberly
11-20-2010, 10:27 AM

You know, there are places in Texas that I might hesitate to travel in, but the Austin area is like a little oasis. With the University of Texas being here, there is a very open and accepting atmosphere here.

PretzelGirl
11-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I agree with many that it isn't necessarily about the country, but where you are in that country. But I will add another variation. I firmly believe you could take two of us and put them in the same location and one will say it is entirely accepting and the other will not want to go out because of the locals (their lifestyle, religion, whatever). So how you view and deal with things comes into play a lot and may be the greatest factor of deciding if you live in an accepting place.