PDA

View Full Version : It is a real small world// long post about family

bobi jean
11-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Last night (11-16-10), after therapy it was late (for me, about 8:15) so I decided to stop by a restaurant for dinner rather than cooking when I got home. I’d been inside for 2 or 3 minutes when I noticed this guy looking at me and saying something to the lady with him. I thought I had seen him around the area before so I wasn’t to concerned. Actually didn’t give it anY thought until they were leaving and approached my table, the lady very politely introduced themselves.
Hi, I’m Linda, this is my husband, Tim. We think, we owe you an apology for the other day.
I said, Apology, for what? I don’t know of anything that happened that would call for an apology. I’m not even sure I’ve ever seen you before, although Tim does look familiar.
She said, “we’re the couple, You and your son saw at the mall a week or two ago.
” BINGO ! !
I said, Well first off, he is a neighbor, not my son, and I should be apologizing to you. He was extremely rude, and what he said was totally out of line.
Tim, No, No he wasn’t.
I said yes he was, and I let him know about it too.
She said, we know, we heard some of it.
Tim said, I should not have been looking at you like that to begin with, but because of his reaction, I was afraid to say anything to you at the time. Seeing you here and realizing that you are the same lady, we decided to come over and apologize.
I said, No reason to apologize to me, I should apologize to you.
So we decided to accept each others apologies. The restaurant wasn’t very crowded but the Isle by the table was pretty heavy with traffic so I asked them to join me. They said they didn’t want to interrupt my dinner but would join me until my dinner was served. I ordered them some coffee, and we had a very nice, actually amazing conversation.
Right after my dinner arrived, Tim got up from the booth as if to leave when,
Linda said. We haven’t explained why Tim was staring at you the other day,
I said that’s ok! It really doesn’t bother me
She said no, we’d really like to explain.
I gestured for Tim to sit back down. Linda asked him if he wanted to explain of if he wanted her to.
He said, It was your mother, you explain.
So the next words out of her were, and I quote.
YOU LOOK SO MUCH LIKE MY MOTHER!
Tim was looking at you, but only because he couldn’t believe how much you look like my Mother.
I said THANK YOU, that’s the best compliment I have ever gotten
(some unimportant conversation for a few minutes)
Tim said, I was shocked, I mean, we were heading into the mall when I looked up and saw her mom walking towards us, I couldn’t believe it, and had to say something. When Linda saw you, she said Oh My God, moms twin. It is amazing just how much you actually do look like her.
Linda then asked Tim to go to the car and get her wallet out of her purse. (she wanted to show me a picture of her mother). Tim went out to the car and come back in with the photo already in hand, he handed it to her, she looked at it and smiled then turned it to show me, pointing at her mother. It was an old photo of her mother, brothers and sisters. I don’t think I look enough like her to be twins but there are some resemblances. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I recognize this photo, I have one almost exactly like it. Her mother, is my Aunt Della. My moms oldest sister .
I am talking to my cousin, whom I have not seen or talked to over 55 years.
Needless to say, we talked a LOT, for over 2 hours (I think Tim fell asleep once). I had no idea how dysfunctional my mothers family was. I mean, I knew they had problems. I knew that at some point in time, Aunt Della and Aunt Effie had both been “disowned” by their mother, but I actually had no Idea why. NO IDEA AT ALL. And still don’t, not really.

The last time we could remember the family being together was at her house (Aunt Della’s) on the Mississippi River in Iowa in about 1952, maybe 53.
This is far to lengthy now so I’ll just tell you all that not one word was said about me being trans-gendered until after they asked if I’d join them for thanksgiving dinner next week. Even then, I’m the one that mentioned it. All Linda said was. Honey, in our family being trans is nothing, wait until I tell you about some of the crap that has gone on over the years. I accepted with contingencies and by saying I can’t wait to hear it. She then told me I probably wouldn’t like some of it, and I replied, I’m a big girl, I can take it. We Laughed, hugged, and parted ways until next Friday afternoon for Dinner.
IT ACTUALLY IS A SMALL WORLD ISN’T IT?

StaceyJane
11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow, what a surprise!

Karen564
11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
IT ACTUALLY IS A SMALL WORLD ISN’T IT?

It sure is !! and smaller than most realize..

Thanks for sharing your night, that is so cool !!

Stephanie Anne
11-17-2010, 04:11 PM
I can honestly say I did not expect that ending. You would give M Night Shyamalan a run for his money!

Jorja
11-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes, this world is smaller than we think. Congratulations on meeting family you have not seen in such a long time. Please be sure to fill us in on Saturday. ;)

bobi jean
11-17-2010, 05:09 PM
You would give M Night Shyamalan a run for his money

Un sure about that one
I can say that I did not sleep very much last night and am still in AWE!!

Right now all I know is that because of something that happened while we were both very young the family was divided. I don't think I will ever understand, but it does help me understand a lot of the things Mom talked about with other family members over the years, I always wondered why the whole family seemed so distant from each other.

Faith_G
11-17-2010, 06:51 PM
That was an unexpected plot twist! How wonderful! :)

pamela_a
11-18-2010, 06:00 PM
That was absolutely grand and very unexpected. Thank you for sharing it.

jerca
11-19-2010, 03:39 AM
I’ll just tell you all that not one word was said about me being trans-gendered until after they asked if I’d join them for thanksgiving dinner next week. Even then, I’m the one that mentioned it.
Thanks for sharing! Stories like this are such great reminder that the world does _not_ stop after transition.

LP, Jerca