PDA

View Full Version : Matte Nail Polish

Steph.TS
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Yesterday I was talking to my mom, and apparently she notice my nails had a bit more shine than usual, and asked me if I was wearing nail polish, I denied it she looked closer but I think that glare or shine level of the nails of borderline normal, apparently even matte nail polish can give you away...

KayleeDahl
11-21-2010, 10:06 AM
I once had a family member ask me that, even when i didn't have my matte polish on. I had buffed them, to even them out, and make them look nice (if you do alot, it can be even more shiny than the matte polish IMHO) . I think that people look at "guys" hands, and just expect them to be a mess, and when they aren't it suprises them. I've gotten 1 comment on my square shaped nails as well, but i'm not going back to guy hands! lol

Hugs
Kaylee

ColleenW
11-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I once had a family member ask me that, even when i didn't have my matte polish on. I had buffed them, to even them out, and make them look nice (if you do alot, it can be even more shiny than the matte polish IMHO) . I think that people look at "guys" hands, and just expect them to be a mess, and when they aren't it suprises them. I've gotten 1 comment on my square shaped nails as well, but i'm not going back to guy hands! lol

Hugs
Kaylee

I've had the same experience with well buffed nails, they are shinier than just plain nails.

PretzelGirl
11-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I use a bit of a glossy coat. The easy response is that I use a nail strengthener (which I have used in the past leaving a gloss appearance).

Alice B
11-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I have my nails done every 2-3 weeks and they apply gloss polish. I like the finished look and have never had a comment, positive or negative. But being from S. Calif. it is not unusual to see men with manicured nails. Of course my painted toe nails are another story.

juno
11-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Why not just say yes? When dressed male, I often use clear polish with off-white French tips. From a distance, they just look like well-groomed nails. So far nobody has asked about polish, but I have no reason to deny it. Getting comfortable with things that are just a little feminine, and not exclusively for crossdressers, is a good step towards increased self-confidence and self-acceptance.

If you wear matte nail lacquer, you can claim that you thought it was intended for use by men. Among those that use it, isn't matte black most often used by males?

Kelly DeWinter
11-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Yesterday I was talking to my mom, and apparently she notice my nails had a bit more shine than usual, and asked me if I was wearing nail polish, I denied it she looked closer but I think that glare or shine level of the nails of borderline normal, apparently even matte nail polish can give you away...

I think your mom allready has a pretty good idea. you are young enough to consider having "THE TALK" with her. If she noticed your fingernails, 9 time out of 10 she has noticed other things. Parants these days can be a bit more open about things. As a parent, the Number One items that we hate is when our kids lie to us. Lying breaks down trust and parents desparately want to be able to know we can trust our kids. I know young adults want to do whatever they want without parents getting involved, but you will go a long way to building a solid trust with them. Just a thought from the parents side of things.

Kelly

Kelly DeWinter
11-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Why not just say yes? When dressed male, I often use clear polish with off-white French tips. From a distance, they just look like well-groomed nails. So far nobody has asked about polish, but I have no reason to deny it. Getting comfortable with things that are just a little feminine, and not exclusively for crossdressers, is a good step towards increased self-confidence and self-acceptance.

If you wear matte nail lacquer, you can claim that you thought it was intended for use by men. Among those that use it, isn't matte black most often used by males?

great advice

Sometimes Steffi
11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I usually have my finger nails painted with a clear polish. I started (with my wife's permission and encouragement) when I was having some problems with my nails pealing and splitting. I used various brands that she was using, some more glossy than others. I then bought a clear matte polish Orly "Nails for Males" (yep, that's the color) because it was the one recommended to me by the SA at Sally's Beauty Supply. It turns out that, at least at the time, "Nails for Males" had all kinds of bad stuff in it, which you could tell from just he intense smell.

I did get confronted by a guy at work about whether I had nail polish on, and I said, "Yes, but technically it's a nail protector that my wife gave me because my nails were splitting." I figured that I covered all the bases, yes it's nail polish, yes, I'm married (and therefore, probably not gay), yes my wife knows, accepts and encourages, and no, I don't really care what you think about it. Of course the *real* reason I was wearing it was that I liked to apply it and I liked how it looked.

Since then I switched to OPI Envy, and I have one bottle of matte and one bottle original (glossy).

But, I agree with Kelly. If your mom noticed the clear matte nail polish, she was already suspicious from other observations. But I can't advise you on whether or not to have the talk with your mom. I actually think my mom would have been OK with it. But, I know my dad would have totally freaked. This is even though I think he regurly got a manicure himself. I have a vague recollection of confronting him about his shiny nails, and having him deny it. I hadn't even thought about that until a few years ago when I noticed a man about my dad's age with an obvious manicure, and had an immediate flash back to the way my dad's hands looked.

Karren H
11-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Orly Nails for Males is for males! Lol. Nice semi-gloss matte finish... It buffs uf a bit with wear but I wore it all week out in the field... On mine tours with manly mining guysz... pointing to things on maps with my well manicured nails... And never had an issue or even though about it. Even my wife never says a word.

Steph.TS
11-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I think your mom allready has a pretty good idea. you are young enough to consider having "THE TALK" with her. If she noticed your fingernails, 9 time out of 10 she has noticed other things. Parants these days can be a bit more open about things. As a parent, the Number One items that we hate is when our kids lie to us. Lying breaks down trust and parents desparately want to be able to know we can trust our kids. I know young adults want to do whatever they want without parents getting involved, but you will go a long way to building a solid trust with them. Just a thought from the parents side of things.

Kelly

I opened up to her a few months ago, that I wanted to become a woman, but she has religious beliefs that doing that is a sin, and she keeps trying to suggest that my desire is simply lack of self esteem, so on this issue I don't know if I can trust her. I would like to be open as I hate hiding and lying.

With my mom I have to be careful, she knows I want to become a woman, and is opposed to it, if I start doing things that could be taken as feminine, she might get more upset/defensive on this topic... I'm trying to push myself to be more feminine but also trying to stay under the radar...

minalost
11-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I've had the same experience with well buffed nails, they are shinier than just plain nails.

Me too. I've been buffing mine for months now and no one has said anything about the shine. I did have one friend coment that I have "girl thumb nails..." refering to the length. I just shrugged and contunued with the conversation we were having before that just poped out of his mouth. What I'm sure I should have said is, "OMG, I wonder which girl..." or something like that.

t-girlxsophie
11-21-2010, 07:38 PM
would love to keep my nails looking nice and femme,but alas my job always get in the way causing them to break,chip at every opportunity.at least i can still paint them I always like having a colour on my nails when am dressed

:hugs:Sophie

Kerigirl2009
11-21-2010, 10:45 PM
I am on a hunting weekend with all my brothers and a sister in law and my brothers girfriend and my dad and his wife and acrually last night my sister in law noticed my shiny nails and blurts out "Do you have nail polish on" I answered truthfully, Yes I do I like it and it also helps them from splitting, they had a bit of fun with it but to me I believe it is all in the additude I am not nervous about it I just say yes and if they don't like it well thats fine because afterall they are my hands.
now if they realized I was also weraing panties and a bra under my large manly sweaters I think I would have taken alot my ribbing but I am still having a good time doing the manly weekend.

Annie D
11-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I have solar nails and because I am a high school teacher I am writing notes and passes for the kids all the time. My nails are on display and seen by most everyone. The guys don't say much but I'm sure they may make a comment behind my back and the girls inquire if I "do my nails" to which I reply that I have them done professionally because they do a better job than I could ever hope for. They may continue with 'where I get them done" and I tell them. I have even had my assistant principal pause for a second when she saw my nails and because I am so animated with my hands when I talk, I have noticed that people suddenly stop talking and stare at my hands.

I guess if you like your nails to look nice and/or pretty you have to be prepared for them to be seen. I prefer to tell the truth about them, even if it means more questions and/or strange glances.

suchacutie
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Nails for Males does buff to a shine faster than OPI Nail Envy, but nails that are simply buffed are much shinier than either of the above!

I also moved from Nails for Males to Nail Envy for my fingers (still use Nails for Males for my toe nails) and both do a terrific job keeping the nails from splitting and peeling. Frankly, my nails looked terrible before I started crossdressing 5 years ago but they are slowly looking better and acting stronger all the time.

The bottom line here is that those who are close to us (like mothers and spouses) will notice these things eventually, whether they say anything or not. One reason they will notice is that the coating can get scratched or otherwise deformed and then it's obvious there is a coating there. Also, these polishes all have an odor which can't easily be covered. So, you might as well be proud of the fact that you want your nails to look great, and, frankly, there is really no other way unless you have terrific nails and manicure them constantly, and in that case they will be even shinier!

Why is it that men don't want to admit that they want to look good, in any mode. Nail "protector" helps us do that! Even my physician agrees that it helps, skeptical as he was initially!