PDA

View Full Version : Mice

Glenda58
11-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Had a chance to go out today wife gone till midnight:). Went down to get my stash. Brought it up stairs and started getting ready for my big day. When I open my box out jump a mouse:eek:. Caught the mouse:sigh: and set it outside. Now as I looked at my things they were cover with mice feces:eek: So instead of going out I had to wash everything some by hand and let air dry. So my of shopping went to buying mouse traps:sad:. Using a blow dryer to dry one of my dresses before the wife gets home.
Oh they also chew of the heel of my sandle so now I need to replace it and it was my best one.:angry:
So at this time of the watch your stash. Didn't have this problem when I was single. It was all in a closet.

Alice Torn
11-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry, but funny, too!

carhill2mn
11-21-2010, 05:01 PM
What a bummer! I would suggest that you purchase some "mouse proof" containers. A friend of mine had her feminine things stored in a storage facility and when she went to get them there was a new padlock on her unit; her things have never been found. Management has no explanation.

Pythos
11-21-2010, 05:05 PM
I know it may have passed through your mind, but I am glad you did not kill the little critter. Thank you for letting him or her out to freedom. I hope you can recover your stash.

Kate Simmons
11-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi Glenda. Ya know sometimes I think that "Minnie Mouse" is really Mickey en femme. No wonder they like your stuff.:heehee:

JohnH
11-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Get a cat.

Diane Smith
11-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Ouch. I had a mouse infestation at home about three years ago and lost a number of items to their little teeth, worst of all a pair of purple Jimmy Choo ankle boots from which they rather neatly excised the zippers. (Yes, both shoes! Must have been something about that particular type of thread that excited their sweet tooth.)

I also found the cutest little mouse nest built out of fur and string in the side pocket of one of my video equipment bags. It was nice and soft and cozy and was decorated with several little stud earrings that had been disappearing from my dressing table!

I got a no-kill trap (a wind-up mechanism sweeps them into a side compartment from which they can't escape) and caught eight mice over a period of a week or so. Turned 'em loose in an empty field a block or so from home. I've kept pet mice on several occasions, and have fed the field mice that visit my bird feeder from my fingers, so I couldn't bring myself to do anything violent to them. As far as I can tell they haven't been back since. I did find one dead one (nothing I did) under some shelves in the basement, and another bit the dust in the wiring of my kitchen oven. Heck of a smell when I accidentally cooked it. :-(

- Diane

Kelly DeWinter
11-21-2010, 06:59 PM
When did mice start crossdressing ?

docrobbysherry
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
What a great post, Glenda!

DON'T let rodents destroy your stash(es)! If u have stashes OUTSIDE your home like I do, put out poison! I have stashes in storage rooms and garages. I also put poison in my attic and basement! ( Yeah, I know! Calif. homes don't have basements. My very old one does!)
I never put it inside my home, or where domestic pets or children can reach it!

Once you've dealt with urine stained and chewed personal items as I have, u may feel differently about those "cute little" Mickey Mice!

RADER
11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Get a cat.

I totality agree, My cat is a great mouse-caterer. LOL Rader

Nicole Erin
11-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Get a cat.
We have a couple of those - they do great for ridding mice :D

Danni Bear
11-21-2010, 08:14 PM
What a bummer! I would suggest that you purchase some "mouse proof" containers. A friend of mine had her feminine things stored in a storage facility and when she went to get them there was a new padlock on her unit; her things have never been found. Management has no explanation.

Carhill,

The only problem with "mouse proof" containers is that there are no real ones. mice and rats have been known to have chewed through steel containers. with enough time they will get in no matter what you try if they want in.

Danni

Karren H
11-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Damn.... The pet store is closed.... Wonder if I could buy a couple furry friends tommorow... Could they do enough damage by Black Friday?? :D

You need to get out more Glenda!! Lol.

juno
11-21-2010, 09:02 PM
DON'T let rodents destroy your stash(es)! If u have stashes OUTSIDE your home like I do, put out poison! I have stashes in storage rooms and garages. I also put poison in my attic and basement!
If you must kill mice, please avoid using poison if at all possible. The poison can kill other animals that might eat the mice, including cats, which are your friend in controlling the mice.

The obvious solution is to come out of the closet. If you feel that is not an option, get a better air-tight container. For example, a 5-gallon plastic container for paint or dry-wall plaster. It is a reasonable size, air tight, does not look out-of-place in a shed or storage area, and not something a woman is likely to try to open.

giuseppina
11-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I agree with Juno about the poison.

If an animal proof container is desired, not many animals can get through or even bend 13mm steel plate. :D

eluuzion
11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Call me old fashioned but in my world, mice urine and feces are a serious health hazard I choose to avoid. Hantaviruses from inhalation of the dust/residue from urine/feces left behind and in the nesting areas of mice, will change your view of those critters in a heartbeat.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/rodents.htm

Mice hate peppermint oil (most pests hate it), citronella too. If you put some soaked balls of that around, they will avoid the area. Looking for a quick fix? Try Bounce dryer sheets...mice/bees/yellowjackets/mosquitoes and a host of other pests hate the smell of Bounce. Some golf courses even hand out sheets to golfers to put in their bags and pockets to repel yellow jackets.

just sayin'....

:love:

Melinda G
11-21-2010, 11:56 PM
That happened to me many years ago, when I was married. I hid my stuff up in the rafters of the garage and didn't wear it for a while. When I went to get the stuff, mice had hollowed out a nest the size of a soccer ball. I lost a lot of stuff.

AlannahNorth
11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
I try to keep my fem belongings in plastic storage containers, the kind with the locking lids. I've heard that peppermint is something the little rodents don't like, also certain other spices. I've tried it, seems to work against moths as well. Keep textiles and spices separated with paper - no stains that way. I just took a lot of items out of long term storage (6 months) and I used mouse bait in the unit. Sure, the little 'mousies' are 'cute' - but the results of an infestation definitely are not - that would be a disaster. There's no way I'm going to risk all my life's belongings to rodents or insects. I LIKE mice, and rats, for that matter. As pets, not pests.

My policy is definitely 'live and let live' - unless they are going to do me harm.

Nancie64
11-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Sorry!! If one of those little critters chewed on one of my nice pair of heels, there would be no letting the thing go. If you get mice in your house they will take over. They can produce more offspings than you can imagine. I sometimes in the fall will put poison outside my home in spots that not to many other pests can get at, let them die outside.

Jocelyn Quivers
11-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear that, the sight of a mouse will have me jumping on a table and screaming even in big tough male mode.

Donna June
11-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Having to stash all your stuff away is indeed a big pain. Sorry the mouse ruined some of your things but I'm glad you let it go free...outside

JohnH
11-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I have to count my blessings - I don't have to stash my feminine items away. I simply have them in my master bedroom closet along with my masculine clothing. My wife tolerates my cross dressing and I don't hide a thing. She even knows about my profile on this forum.

As far as mice invading my living area - I might sound a little cold hearted. I use glue traps, and when one traps a mouse I wrap the whole thing up in newspaper and squish the mouse. They do multiply rapidly.

linda allen
11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
I guess I better go check my wig. I'll bet they would love that!