PDA

View Full Version : Just when you thought it was safe to use the Ladies Room

Deborah_UK
11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/101122-arrested-transgendered-woman

this is particularly aposite in line with this thread (albeit in the UK) http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?143733-Toilet-situation

StaceyJane
11-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, it seems I've broken Texas state law about 30 times. Including a couple of times in the State Capitol Building!
I'm going out tonight and I can almost guarantee that I will be braking Texas state law again.

Stephanie Anne
11-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't know the whole story. She could have been arrested for resisting police. I think that is a horrible thing to happen and should be used as an example of how stupid these beliefs are. We use the bathroom for one reason. To assume we are only going to rape and pillage is very man-centric.

Nothing is stopping a pervert from dressing in a wig and going into the bathroom now so why punish 99.9999999% of the trans population because someone has a made up hypothetical situation?

Ross
11-23-2010, 03:30 PM
I used the Lady Room today for the first time now I will use them all the time until I get arrested lol

Melissa A.
11-23-2010, 04:16 PM
What a gaggle of idiots down there. "If you have men organ, like I got men organ, you go to the men restroom", said the pastor they interviewed. OK, middle aged person with man-tits and a big butt, I'm not too sure...before you enter that guy's room, drop your drawers. The other guy they talked to in the studio is repeating the same old transphobic fear mongering used by every group who ever tried to have a gender identity protection ordinance overturned. The peeping tom or the "rapist-in-a-dress" claim. It has never, repeat, never happened. Not once. Not ever. Anywhere. And laws already exist for it, if it ever did. And WHAT was up with the seemingly without any reason close-up shot of her breasts??? Gah. Poor girl.

Hugs,

Melissa:)

My Lady Marsea
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
This is like another travesty against the T-Girl world. I could not believe the article much less the video. It like so totally upset me I posted under the comments section, and I don't even live there. As of now, the majority percent or wutever are in our favor, it's usually the haters/bashers that speak out. That Pastor Dave guy was like sooo totally uneducated..OMG no wonder there are so many uneducated haters in this world, I think most must be at his church if that is what he preaches. Arrrrgh! This was my comment:
Who died and made Dave God? He really should get his percent of the general population who have GID...Gender Identity Disorder....yes there really is a name for this...and he should check with a gender therapist on the symptoms. Not as rare as one might think. Those of us who actually transition and live full day to day life as the women we are....we call it RLE or Real Life Experience and are on HRT ..Hormone replacement therapy....done therapy, and have had legal name changes as well as gender marker and pictures on our drivers licenses changed as per the law, well I for one am NOT going into a mens room. This is not something I do for giggles and chuckles. This is me being whom I am and it's not all fun & games. the monetary costs are somewhat staggering too. One would have to be self destructive to want to endure what we do to try to live as our true selves. And to the comment about us "getting special privileges", get real. All we of the GLBT world ask are the same "privileges" as any man or women have by virtue of how society labeled them at birth. Nobody asked me if I was male or female on that day, it was decided by what was between my legs or lack thereof upon birth. To those who are gender-phobic and spout off pure stupidity based on what others say without educating themselves or asking those of us that have been there done that I say "Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it."

Forgot a thought.....we really told Ross off in another sisters plight, now lets stick up for this one too. see this and leave a comment.

Hope
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Deborah,

Please don't judge all Americans based on what Texans do. Even most of us are ashamed of them.

StaceyJane
11-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Deborah,

Please don't judge all Americans based on what Texans do. Even most of us are ashamed of them.

Hey! I'm a Texan!

CharleneT
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Technically, here in Iowa, you are allowed to use the restroom of the gender you are presenting. State law, put in place July 2009. That said, every time I have asked the local police have assured me "you need to have the right sex organs to use the right bathroom". Or similar words. There can be a big difference between the "law", the local "accepted behavior" and what gets said/shown in media. As for me, for years I've used the ladies room, without worry. This really isn't as big of a "thang" as many seem to want to make it. I've no idea about this situation, but I'm wary of the story. Act normal and you'll be fine with the restroom thing.

Jorja
11-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Act normal and you'll be fine with the restroom thing.

Sounds like an SNL skit.

GirlyBits
11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Deborah,

As a Texan myself I have gotta say that your comment is completely unfair. The United States is full of idiocy, from one coast to the next. How is it that everyone is ashamed of us? I notice your in Wisconsin,I have been to the mid-west, and Milwaukee in particular holds a special breed of stupid themselves. Point is, it's everywhere so making a comment like yours is against Texans is pretty mean. I am not trying to offend or anything with my reply, just point out that it's just not fair to blame 1 state for a whole country being full of durrr.

Chickhe
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm curious, what does Texas law say about the maintenance or cleaning staff for a bathroom, do they have to be of the appropriate gender? Or is there a law that says they need to put a sign on the door to close the bathroom when they are adding toilet paper? Oh, and is it different to enter vs. actually use the facilities? Can a parent of one gender go with a child of the opposite gender in to either bathroom? How exactly does a law like that work?

Danni Bear
11-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Lets not get all crazy about TEXANS. I am a born and bred one who is very proud of my home. yes we have done some crazy things, but so have every other state's citizens. The shame should be placed on those who's bigotery causes these type of actions no matter where they call home. Education is what is needed, not rhetoric and name calling. Houston is not generaly thought of as a gender-diverse city. This is far from the truth. Texas has many gender diverse places and a large LGBT presence. No, we aren't nearly as vocal and strident about this as many other areas but we are here. working everyday to advance the causes that affect us all.

Danni

Danni Bear
11-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm curious, what does Texas law say about the maintenance or cleaning staff for a bathroom, do they have to be of the appropriate gender? Or is there a law that says they need to put a sign on the door to close the bathroom when they are adding toilet paper? Oh, and is it different to enter vs. actually use the facilities? Can a parent of one gender go with a child of the opposite gender in to either bathroom? How exactly does a law like that work?

There is no legal requirement to post a sign closing a restroom, many places do to protect people from entering due to the possibility of wet floors or there being someone of the opposing gender cleaning or restocking supplies. Many places provide family bathrooms for the use of parents with small children. All public bathrooms with more than one area to utilise are required to have places for parents to be able to tend to infants or small children. It does not matter in most cases whether you are male or female which one you use, the concern is the gender of the child.

Danni

dilane
11-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Technically, here in Iowa, you are allowed to use the restroom of the gender you are presenting. State law, put in place July 2009. That said, every time I have asked the local police have assured me "you need to have the right sex organs to use the right bathroom".

News Flash: from now on, BSA (bathroom safety Agency) agents will be conducting intrusive "genital verification searches" to all citizens using public bathrooms. This is the only way we have to ensure compliance with the law. There have been cases of vagino-americans using facilities intended for peno-americans, and vice-versa.

We now return to our normal programming ....

TxKimberly
11-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Deborah,

Yeah,

Don't judge all Americans based on what those crazy Texans are like - It's a pretty rough crowd down there, full of nothing but uneducated, red neck, hillbilly type hicks too stupid to run from the entire Mexican army. Never mind that Texas has provided a huge percentage of the young men and women defending our nation, or that Texas has some of the best high tech R & D and production in the world. I think we also have that huge space thingy magigger down there in Houston. What was it called? Oh yeah - freaking NASA. Of course I'm sure our redneck Rocket scientists in Texas aint so smart and enlightened as the rocket Scientists in Wisconsin though. Hold on a sec - what is it about Wisconsin that makes it so much better than Texas? Was it the cheese? Maybe it was the cheese. . .

Wisconsin is the only place I've been to where they tried to take advantage of me. Three weeks after I returned my rental car, they contacted me to claim that I brought it back all scratched to hell. THREE WEEKS LATER they tried to claim this. I didn't post about how Wisconsin is full of thieves that tried to rob what had to have been one of very few TG's to go through their airport.

Come on people, do we really have to slam an entire state full of fine people just because one overzealous flat foot did something stupid?

Signed TXkimberly

Hope
11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey! I'm a Texan!

And yet we still love you... Proof positive that there are exceptions to every rule!

As a Texan myself I have gotta say that your comment is completely unfair. The United States is full of idiocy, from one coast to the next. How is it that everyone is ashamed of us? I notice your in Wisconsin,I have been to the mid-west, and Milwaukee in particular holds a special breed of stupid themselves. Point is, it's everywhere so making a comment like yours is against Texans is pretty mean. I am not trying to offend or anything with my reply, just point out that it's just not fair to blame 1 state for a whole country being full of durrr.

Yes, our great nation is in fact a nation of dolts. No doubt about that. But the birds of a certain feather do tend to flock together, and Texas seems to draw more than its fair share of plumage. The particularly amusing part is the amount of pride that seems to be involved. The reason a great deal of the nation is somewhat ashamed of Texas is due to the perception of Texas as one of the most bigoted, and least intelligent and yet most proud states in our nation. Now I don't know if it is true that Texas is one of the most bigoted states in the nation or not (it might be a 3-way tie with Arizona and Mississippi), but it is telling that your response was not to decry the bigotry in the article that the OP presented, but was instead to defend Texas, giving tacit approval to the bigotry in question.

I also notice that you did not point out why I was wrong in my assertion, and tell us all why Texas was such a great place, open and tolerant of people who weren't rich white cis people, but instead choose to suggest that Texas is no worse than the mid-west. That implies that you don't have any reason to believe that Texas is in fact a great place. Suggesting that Texas is no worse than the mid-west is like suggesting that going to the dentist is no worse than being beaten with a club - neither are particularly wonderful experiences that any one looks forward to. And there is one more bad thing that comparing the mid-west to Texas does for you - it emphasizes how bad Texas really is when it is pointed out that mid-western states like Iowa and Illinois have laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity or expression (Texas doesn't) and even Milwaukee the city you called out by name has those protections (along with Madison). That makes Texas look even worse than it did before.

I also notice that you love Texas Soooo...... much that you have chosen not to live there...

I stand behind my slur. You don't want Texas to have a crummy reputation? Fix it. Own up to your failings and promise to amend them - don't stubbornly insist that you are right - based on nothing but misplaced pride. If my perception of Texas is wrong, if Texas is so great to diverse populations - tell me why. Do a sales job. Convince me, as a minority person, that I should wish I could move to Texas tomorrow. Don't just dig in your heels and insist that Texas is great because it doesn't suck worse than anyplace else.

But you are right - this sort of thing could happen anywhere. As Charlene pointed out - even in states with appropriate protections - any of us could still get arrested for having to pee and, for those of us who are Americans, we should all be ashamed of that. But when it happens in Texas - no one is surprised - which is why Texas has the reputation it has.

TxKimberly
11-23-2010, 09:29 PM
And yet we still love you... Proof positive that there are exceptions to every rule!

Yes, our great nation is in fact a nation of dolts. No doubt about that. But the birds of a certain feather do tend to flock together, and Texas seems to draw more than its fair share of plumage. The particularly amusing part is the amount of pride that seems to be involved. The reason a great deal of the nation is somewhat ashamed of Texas is due to the perception of Texas as one of the most bigoted, and least intelligent and yet most proud states in our nation. . . . .

Wow. I had assumed that your original post was the result of simply being thoughtless, perhaps a momentary lapse in manners, or a failure to perceive how your comment might be received. Your last comment makes it clear that you really ARE kind of arrogant and self righteous though, aren't you?

Hope
11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
you really ARE kind of arrogant and self righteous though, aren't you?

You are only picking up on this now?

TxKimberly
11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
You are only picking up on this now?

I dunno about that, but it is definitely the first time that you have irritated me enough to comment on it!~ :D

Cindi Johnson
11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Having lived in Texas for nearly half my life, I know well its many flaws. And having lived most of the other half of my life in Minnesota (Wisconsin's neighbor), I also know the flaws of the upper midwest.

Face it, both are in the "flyover zone" and neither are bastions of progressiveness. But both have many positives. Texas, in particular, is larger than most countries and very diverse. I've always been treated well there, even when dressed. Ditto for Minnesota.

I suspect the real problem illuminated by the article is the opposition to us transgendered by the "Pastor's Council". Now I don't mean to offend those of you who've been born again, but why, why, why do we always have to defend our lifestyle from those who so love their Jesus??? If religion is supposed to transform us frail humans into better people, I suspect it may be failing its mission..., miserably failing it. I don't care if a church accepts me; all I ask is that it leave me alone.

Cindi

Danni Bear
11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Hope,

You make the statements about Texas and several other states by name as being bigoted and intolerant. Not only of the gender diverse but also of others that are different from the "wealthy,white cis-male". Come down here, the laws are changing everyday. Not only for the gender diverse but also for women in general and other minorities. Yes we do still have problems with the entrenched powers. That is true everywhere.It is slow progress that we are achieving but it is progress. Many places won't even acknowledge that they have problems. We know that we do and are working to correct them. It is one step at a time, change does not come overnite or because it is wished for.

Just for the record Hope, I was one of those "weathy,white cis-males" that you disparaged. I also am a transitioned woman. One that fights every day for the rights of the disadvantaged. Be they young,old,disabled,homeless,ethnic,racial,sexual,o r gender related.

Danni

You are a member of the clergy. how many other orginazations do you belong to and do they support change and help for those less fortunate than you?
I am a member of several that do both here in my home state of Texas and also in my neighboring state of Louisana. talk is cheap Hope, it takes action and commitment from us all to effect change.

Traci Elizabeth
11-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Yes, our great nation is in fact a nation of dolts. No doubt about that. But the birds of a certain feather do tend to flock together, and Texas seems to draw more than its fair share of plumage. The particularly amusing part is the amount of pride that seems to be involved. The reason a great deal of the nation is somewhat ashamed of Texas is due to the perception of Texas as one of the most bigoted, and least intelligent and yet most proud states in our nation. Now I don't know if it is true that Texas is one of the most bigoted states in the nation or not (it might be a 3-way tie with Arizona and Mississippi), but it is telling that your response was not to decry the bigotry in the article that the OP presented, but was instead to defend Texas, giving tacit approval to the bigotry in question.

I also notice that you did not point out why I was wrong in my assertion, and tell us all why Texas was such a great place, open and tolerant of people who weren't rich white cis people, but instead choose to suggest that Texas is no worse than the mid-west. That implies that you don't have any reason to believe that Texas is in fact a great place. Suggesting that Texas is no worse than the mid-west is like suggesting that going to the dentist is no worse than being beaten with a club - neither are particularly wonderful experiences that any one looks forward to. And there is one more bad thing that comparing the mid-west to Texas does for you - it emphasizes how bad Texas really is when it is pointed out that mid-western states like Iowa and Illinois have laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity or expression (Texas doesn't) and even Milwaukee the city you called out by name has those protections (along with Madison). That makes Texas look even worse than it did before.

I also notice that you love Texas Soooo...... much that you have chosen not to live there...

I stand behind my slur. You don't want Texas to have a crummy reputation? Fix it. Own up to your failings and promise to amend them - don't stubbornly insist that you are right - based on nothing but misplaced pride. If my perception of Texas is wrong, if Texas is so great to diverse populations - tell me why. Do a sales job. Convince me, as a minority person, that I should wish I could move to Texas tomorrow. Don't just dig in your heels and insist that Texas is great because it doesn't suck worse than anyplace else.

But you are right - this sort of thing could happen anywhere. As Charlene pointed out - even in states with appropriate protections - any of us could still get arrested for having to pee and, for those of us who are Americans, we should all be ashamed of that. But when it happens in Texas - no one is surprised - which is why Texas has the reputation it has.

Hope, You make me sick! You know perfectly well there are plenty of great and famous Texans such as: Tumbleweed Jones, Amarillo Joe, Long Horn Billie, Flat Plain Rodney, Texas Ranger Danger, and the beloved Alamo Canteenia Bandenia.

And the tourist industry is busting at the seams with free "fence maps" for "north-bound" visitors. To claim Texan Citizenship you just have to pass a "chewing tobacco" spitting contest, know how to shoe a horse, know which end of the steer to sniff to tell which herd it came from, and love prairie oysters (or Rocky Mountain oysters).

Zenith
11-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Well this thread got derailed...to all the Texas flak I have 4 words...King-of-the-Hill..'nuff said...:D

Barbara Dugan
11-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok I think the restroom incident has more of a local political issue..I think some groups want to put Mayor Parker againts the wall because of the transgender appointed judge just my two cents...now a few words from our esponsor.

Danni Bear
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Hope, You make me sick! You know perfectly well there are plenty of great and famous Texans such as: Tumbleweed Jones, Amarillo Joe, Long Horn Billie, Flat Plain Rodney, Texas Ranger Danger, and the beloved Alamo Canteenia Bandenia.

And the tourist industry is busting at the seams with free "fence maps" for "north-bound" visitors. To claim Texan Citizenship you just have to pass a "chewing tobacco" spitting contest, know how to shoe a horse, know which end of the steer to sniff to tell which herd it came from, and love prairie oysters (or Rocky Mountain oysters).

How does a "delicate" southern BELLE know about "prairie" (mountain) oysters anyhoo?:lol2:

:hugs:

Danni

jenna_woods
11-23-2010, 11:01 PM
thats something all right glad I don't live in texas

Marissa
11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
:lol::lol::lol: ...ok..wait..:rofl::roflmao:..ok..I'm done...:whistling:..nooooo..I can't.. :lol::lol:

Please tell me that someone is foolish enough to say something about the most ARROGANT STATE in the Union..and think nothing would be said back???????

First off..if someone from Brooklyn says something..who cares..lol

Wisconsin???? isn't that in Canada????

Hmmm lets see..by law we can secede from the Union.. we are the only ones allowed to fly our state flag EVEN with the Ensign. We are a country all our own and please.. if others from your states live here and share your attitudes, please come get them :)

And unlike other states..say one bad thing about Texas..we actually come together.. united.. Dressed or not.. "Have gun, will travel"

Now..are we done with this bs?

It was wrong for a mayor to put something in effect that would come against state law without first knowing he can do that without it being challenged as such.

And like others.. I broke that law once..the other times I just did in the alley agains the wall.. no gender law broken..LOL...THAT IS A JOKE..for YUTS people....

With love and respect....

Marissa

Violetgray
11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't know the whole story. She could have been arrested for resisting police.

I've no idea about this situation, but I'm wary of the story. Act normal and you'll be fine with the restroom thing.

I'm sorry, but what the HELL!?! Why are we blaming the victim here? There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE from what we see here that she was anything but cooperative with the authorities. Even if it were true, how do you get arrested for resisting police, unless they were arresting you in the first place?

I think that you took one look at her and heard her silly name assumed that she was probably some ghetto hood-rat that didn't know how to conduct herself.

Edited: I'll also add that "Act normal and you'll be fine with the restroom thing" is only true if all places are the same, everywhere. Obviously, some places are more tolerant than others.

Marissa
11-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Okay..so all won't think I'm just adding to the problem and not the solution... I have one..I made a call to the Governor.. he assured me that TSA is all over it and will install body scanners and enforce pat downs by the end of the week.. nothing more need be said.. :)

StaceyJane
11-23-2010, 11:44 PM
I did go out as Stacey tonight and I broke the bathroom law 3 more times. (mmmmm... Dr Pepper......)
What's more I did it on the campus of Baylor University, the largest Baptist school in the known universe.

Soon they will have wanted posters of me on the bathroom wall.

P.S. tomorrow I will have a video of my adventures from this evening.
But no video of me braking the bathroom law.

GirlyBits
11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Ok I think the restroom incident has more of a local political issue..I think some groups want to put Mayor Parker againts the wall because of the transgender appointed judge just my two cents...now a few words from our esponsor.

Lol I love you!

Danni Bear
11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
and the B.S.A. is waiting with bated breath for it LOL

Danni

ReineD
11-24-2010, 01:04 AM
I watched the video and I was disturbed by several things. The first was the camera's focus on her cleavage while they described her as a transwoman. That was NOT necessary. Then there was the male in the white shirt who was snickering when he said that if someone has male organs like "HE"does (his emphasis), they should use the men's room. This is sheer ignorance of the effect of HRT on transwomen (if I read posts here correctly). We have gender dedicated bathrooms, I'm assuming for the protection of women, and anyone who knows anything about transwomen will know the intent is certainly not to go into a ladies room to rape someone. We just need a lot more education out there.

I also didn't like the attitude of the representative from the Houston Area Pastor Council during the studio interview afterwards. He asked why should a society with 6,000 years of established gender roles (maybe he's not heard of Darwin ... his numbers are off by about 194,000 years) accommodate the small percentage of transwomen, who not only harm their families by transitioning, but who also dare to overturn the established order by insisting on being recognized? By his logic then, we shouldn't also have access ramps, dedicated bathrooms, and dedicated parking spaces for the disabled? They also are a small percentage of our society and by this man's logic, have our disabled community members also inconvenienced their families by choosing to be wheelchair-bound? :Angry3:

Even though I'm sad this transwoman had to be treated this way, I'm hoping that the case with the State Assistant DA will prove to be a positive educational vehicle for the unenlightened.

Starling
11-24-2010, 03:45 AM
As far as gender issues go, I think whenever you leave a metro area anywhere in the US you enter the Wild West.

Every single Texan I have ever met has been salt of the earth, jump your battery, watch your back decent. They epitomize the American virtues of hard work, loyalty, hospitality and kick-ass music. Hell, the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team.

And that's why I wonder why y'all want to secede from the rest of us.

:heehee: Lallie

donnalee
11-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Just to take things entirely off-thread, I'd like to congratulate almost everyone who posted on their spelling and grammar. By far the best thread I've read in this regard, even with the flame war between the states that's going on. I usually edit my own posts pretty obsessively to avoid this; it bothers me to see bad english next to my psuedonym and I enjoy reading a thread that can be understood without rereading it 6 times trying to figure out "What did she mean by that?".
Thank you all.

Jay Cee
11-24-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm startled and amazed that Fox actually presented something anywhere near a balanced feature on this. The rep from the pastor organization doesn't surprise me. He certainly made sure he got his shots in at the CD / TG / TS community.

And 6000 years history? Yeah, right.

It's a no brainer - TG people should be allowed to use the restroom of their choice. A CD / TG woman entering a men's restroom would be a much greater disturbance, and be at greater risk.

My Lady Marsea
11-24-2010, 11:30 AM

"Texas is one of the most bigoted states in the nation or not (it might be a 3-way tie with Arizona and Mississippi)"
OMG! Now you've liked tossed Arizona in there. Well I'll side with Texas any day, we may all be "cowboys' or wutever to you out here but ......well I don't have anything nice to say particularly about the rest, so I'll say nothing. I'm glad Texas is only two states away. I like a bigger brother (or sister) next to me when things start to get rough.

Melody Moore
11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I also didn't like the attitude of the representative from the Houston Area Pastor Council during the studio interview afterwards. He asked why should a society with 6,000 years of established gender roles (maybe he's not heard of Darwin ... his numbers are off by about 194,000 years) accommodate the small percentage of transwomen, who not only harm their families by transitioning, but who also dare to overturn the established order by insisting on being recognized? By his logic then, we shouldn't also have access ramps, dedicated bathrooms, and dedicated parking spaces for the disabled? They also are a small percentage of our society and by this man's logic, have our disabled community members also inconvenienced their families by choosing to be wheelchair-bound? :Angry3:

Hi Reine,

I also picked up on everything as well and totally agree with your analysis of this video.

Someone should ask Dave Welch what gave Christians like him the right to start playing God with the biological aspects human society & burning people like us at the stake under the belief we were possessed by evil spirits in the earlier days of western society? As well interfering with long established & peaceful societies around the world that accepted intersexed/transsexual & transgendered people in their communities with their Christian Crusades?

Someone needs to educate Mr Welch about how long its been accepted that being I/TS/TG as part of being a human being in our cultures, even in our own aboriginal culture here in Australia. As we all know is deeply embedded into Polynesian cultures - In Samoa they call the transgendered Fa'afafine, in Tonga its the fakafefine, in Maori culture its whakawahine, in Hawaii its Mahu. In Thai culture its the kathoey. And Australian scholar of sexual politics in Thailand Peter Jackson claims that the term "kathoey" was used in pre-modern times to refer to intersexuals (hermaphrodites). In India, they call them Hijra. In North American Indian culture its the Ojibwe.

Dear Dave was banging on about how being transgendered or transsexuals destroy families. What a load of rubbish? I think these wives who have whined about it simply can't come to terms with their partner's decision to transition. Many wives even think it has something to do with them personally and they have their own insecurity issues where they feel just were not good enough.

I wonder if Pastor Dave realises that if its not addressed it will usually destroy the family anyway because the poor guy who is so confused about his true gender identity completely loses the plot over his gender crisis then puts a gun to his head and blows his brains out? or worse still because his family is rejecting him & unwilling to accepting him that he takes his whole family out first anyway? I think its bigots like Pastor Dave that cause more of the issues for the families involved rather than GID itself. What they need to be doing is counselling these poor women & kids that its long been a part of Christianity human culture instead.

I believe in God as a Christian, but it's bigots like this with their own self-styled ideas about Christianity who commit such acts of outright blasphemy
with the Bible that makes me so damn angry that I could take a Bible and shove it straight down his through while telling him to "eat these words"....

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

"Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God.

We are well warned about false prophets and its bigots like this we should be directing our frustrations at and not the people of Texas.

SamanthaS
11-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I so worry about doing this, and after reading this I don't know what to do :(

SamanthaS
11-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Amen sister!

discoveringsophia
11-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi Melody, loved your post and agree wholeheartedly, and that makes clarification of the following point all the more important to me:

Someone needs to educate Mr Welch about how long its been accepted that being I/TS/TG as part of being a human being in our cultures, even in our own aboriginal culture here in Australia. [... text removed ...] In North American Indian culture its the Ojibwe.

I am curious what word you were seeking here. Ojibwe is one form of the name of a people and a language, but the paragraph in question seems to imply that the word represents intersexed / transgendered / transsexual persons in more than one of the First Nations (a linguistically difficult task already). Care to elaborate? For what it is worth, here are the OED definitions for "ojibwe":

A. (n.) 1. A member of an Algonquian people of central Canada, esp. the area around Lake Superior
2. The Algonquian language of the Ojibwa, comprising dialects of varying mutual intelligibility.
B. (adj.) Of, relating to, or designating the Ojibwa or their language.

Sorry for taking this thread in yet another direction, but it seemed hopeless "off-topic" already, so what the hey!

Melody Moore
11-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Melody, loved your post and agree wholeheartedly, and that makes clarification of the following point all the more important to me:

I am curious what word you were seeking here. Ojibwe is one form of the name of a people and a language, but the paragraph in question seems to imply that the word represents intersexed / transgendered / transsexual persons in more than one of the First Nations (a linguistically difficult task already). Care to elaborate? For what it is worth, here are the OED definitions for "ojibwe":

Its a Ojibwe term, Niizh manidoowag that translates into two-spirit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit)

A direct translation of the Ojibwe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojibwe) term, Niizh manidoowag, "two-spirited" or "two-spirit" is usually used to indicate a person whose body simultaneously houses a masculine spirit and a feminine spirit. The term can also be used more abstractly, to indicate presence of two contrasting human spirits (such as Warrior and Clan Mother) or two contrasting animal spirits (which, depending on the culture, might be Eagle and Coyote); however, these uses, while descriptive of some aboriginal cultural practices and beliefs, depart somewhat from the 1990 purposes of promoting the term.

Rhonda Jean
11-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I obviously hate the way this was handled, but I'll be glad to see how this plays out in court. I use the ladies room, but I worry about this every single time I do. Just where along the gender presentation continuum do you draw the line? Is it at JohnH or JiveTurkeyonRye (our members who present as male in skirts and dresses) or TxKimberly (who presents without question as a woman) or at someone who has legally transitioned yet still appears male, or is it only those who have both legally and physically transitioned and who would be undetectable as anything other than a natural-born woman anyway? I have no idea. Could it even be that if anyone claimed to be more comfortable in the ladies room for whatever reason, that they should be allowed to use it?

I worry some about it when I'm in full girl mode, but I'm not always in full girl mode, and then it's really worrysome. For myself, unless I'm in full blown trying-my-best-to-pass mode, I usually use the men's room. If I'm just wearing makeup or makeup and heels, for instance, this has it's own set of complications and concerns. I've yet to have a problem regardless of the restroom I use, but it sometimes worries me a lot.

The closest I ever came to having a serious problem over the restroom issue was 30 years ago. We lived in an apartment with no washer and dryer, and frequently I'd roll my hair on Saturday mornings and load up all the laundry and go to the laundramat. One day when I did this, about the time I go the clothes in the washers I had to go BAD. I went to the bathroom at the laundry and it was out of order. I asked the attendant if they had another restroom, which they didn't. There was a fast food restaurant across the street, so I went over there, wondering the whole time which restroom I should use. I was wearing shorts and flip flops and a button-up shirt. Completely male except for the curlers and earrings. The people at the counter saw me when I came in, as well as one woman who was coming out of the restroom as I was going in. Someone else came in while I was in there, but I was in a stall. I left in a hurry and walked back to the laundry, thanking God that nothing had happened. The first time I looked out the window after I got back, there was a police car parked right in the door of the restaurant. I have no doubt that they were there for me. The restaurant was facing perpendicular to the laundry, so the only person who was likely to have seen me go into the laundry was the drive-thru person. I sat there for a minute wondering if they'd come over there. I decided to get in my car and leave, leaving the clothes in the washer. I drove around for about 15 minutes and made sure the police car was gone before I came back. I don't know what would have happened if they'd found me, and of course there's always that possibility that they weren't even there because of me, but I think about this every time I use the ladies room (and sometimes the mens!).

I think that we "get away with" using the ladies room because the business has no immediate plan of action. Employees don't want to make a scene by detaining us, and they're not sure of the legal ramifications either. It's a quick thing, you're in and out, and they're left with something to talk about among themselves, and possibly make a plan for the next time it happens. I'd hate to be the one on the news. I might be dead right, but I'd still be dead.

Reading between the lines in this instance, I think that the authorities were lying in wait for this one. I think the intent was to find an incident to challenge the Mayor's proclamation. The city library was the perfect place for them to initiate this operation. It's city property, so it doesn't rely on the cooperation or involvement of a private business It probably had city-employed security, either a cop or something slightly less.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

discoveringsophia
11-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification... it seems that the term itself (niizh manidoowag) was left out of the original post. It makes much more sense that way! Thanks!

Its a Ojibwe term, Niizh manidoowag that translates into two-spirit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit)

Melody Moore
11-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the clarification... it seems that the term itself (niizh manidoowag) was left out of the original post. It makes much more sense that way! Thanks!
I wasn't sure of the original term off the top of my head, its the same with the term in Australian Aboriginal culture as well as North American culture, there are so many tribes as as you can see with polynesian culture that have so many different names for it. My main point was that Intersexed, transsexual & transgender people have existed in all these cultures right throughout the world. Its Christian based bigotry pushed mainly by Britain during the 1600s & 1700s when they were taking over other countries around the world. Take what the British Raj in India did to the Hijra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_%28South_Asia%29) for example:

Hijra History (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_%28South_Asia%29)

During the era of the British Raj, authorities attempted to eradicate hijras, whom they saw as "a breach of public decency." Anti-hijra laws were repealed; but a law outlawing castration, a central part of the hijra community, was left intact, though rarely enforced. Also during British rule in India they were placed under Criminal Tribes Act 1871 and labelled a "criminal tribe," hence subjected to compulsory registration, strict monitoring and stigmatized for a long time, after independence however they were denotified in 1952, though the century old stigma continuesI believe if Pastor Dave Welch had his way he would be burning us at the stake just like they did back in the dark
ages in England & Europe, under the belief we are all possessed by evil spirits & no good for the populace of society.

Danni Bear
11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Rhonda,

I was doing research on this whole issue of bathroom use in Texas last nite and came across a portion in state law. It concerns a persons use of them in public places and having a pyhsicians letter or medical I.D. You have the right to use the first available facility regardless of posted signs.

I checked on this with my laywer today and he is researching further into this, his belief from the wording that was used that one who is living 24/7 and in transition can use either bathroom. As he learns more and can clarify this I will keep the forum informed.

Danni

Rhonda Jean
11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks Danni,

That pretty clearly means that we plain vanilla crossdressers better use the men's room! I recall that in the video they refered to her as a transgender woman, but that, of course, covers a lot of ground. When they interviewed the preacher and the attorney they both seemed to indicate that the argument was a matter of gender presentation. Sounds like it could be a matter of looking "enough" like a woman to be allowed to use the ladies room. I think I better carry a bucket.

Did it say what she was charged with?

BTW, I've seen women in the men's room several times. I don't think that's ever a problem.

I hesitate to say this because I know it'll be an unpopular opinion, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand the issue of allowing men into the women's restroom. If some pervert finds out all he's got to do is put on a dress to be allowed to freely enter the women's restroom, that seems like a pretty small step. Just because a guy puts on a dress doesn't make him harmless, and it certainly doesn't make him one of us. Lots of traps in this one.

I'm glad that people a lot smarter than me are going to sort this one out.

Tanya83
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I would just use the mens room.

Starling
11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
...Did it say what she was charged with?...

I believe it was "resisting police." Pretty bogus, if you ask me.

Melissa A.
11-24-2010, 11:23 PM
First off..if someone from Brooklyn says something..who cares..lol

Yoo talkin' ta me?

Hugs,

ReineD
11-24-2010, 11:24 PM
If any of you see some news about the impending legal case, please be sure to post updates! They did say the Asst DA would become involved?

Danni Bear
11-24-2010, 11:59 PM
If any of you see some news about the impending legal case, please be sure to post updates! They did say the Asst DA would become involved?

Reine,

I have combed every source of news in Houston. I don't know if they are burying this story or if it has been dropped. I am going to be there Friday and will try to find out more then. Has anyone that live in the Houston area heard or saw anymore on this?

Danni

Aprilrain
11-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Maybe Texas does suck (I wouldn't know I haven't had a reason to go there in like 10 years) but the mid west sucks harder. I can say that because I'm from there. Really what the hell is there in Wisconsin to be so damn proud of? Lets face it neither one of these states is high on any ones travel destination list. One can go ANYWHERE on earth and find idiots.

Danni Bear
11-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Maybe Texas does suck (I wouldn't know I haven't had a reason to go there in like 10 years) but the mid west sucks harder. I can say that because I'm from there. Really what the hell is there in Wisconsin to be so damn proud of? Lets face it neither one of these states is high on any ones travel destination list. One can go ANYWHERE on earth and find idiots.

April,

IN fact according to the travel and tourism commission (federal not state) Texas has been in the top ten travel destinations in America for the past fourty years. The only midwest area to be in that list is Chicago, Illinois and yes idiots are found everywhere, just look in Washington D.C.
they have an overabundance of them, both on the left and the right

Melody Moore
11-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Well im in hospital right now and the question was raised about whether or not i was post op and when I told the nurse I was pre-op she said I would have to go into a men's ward.... i said 'like hell i will go into a men's ward'. So then I pulled out my letter that identifies me as female & my drivers licence showing me as well as a female. The she says 'Fair enough then'. So after that they transferred me to private room in the female gynaecological ward. :)

GingerLeigh
11-25-2010, 11:42 PM
How did this get to be a beat up on Texas thing? Hey, they like Canadians down in the Lone Star state so they can't be all that bad. Every state/province has it's share of morons/rejects. Trust me, I work with a bunch and I'm pretty bloody far from Texas!

Ginger

Melody Moore
11-26-2010, 12:01 AM
How did this get to be a beat up on Texas thing? Hey, they like Canadians down in the Lone Star state so they can't be all that bad. Every state/province has it's share of morons/rejects. Trust me, I work with a bunch and I'm pretty bloody far from Texas!

Ginger
I think people are just down on the fact that a Texas state law here is the main issue here causing the problem. Under Texas law you need permission to use the female toilet if you are transgendered. The religious bigots in Texas are slamming the mayor (a lesbian) for writting a law that contravenes the state law giving transgendered women the right to use female toilets. What the attorney said was right regarding permission and that this lady hasnt done anything wrong.... the mayor gave permission to the transgendered community to use the correct toilet to suit your gender when she wrote the city law.

Danni Bear
11-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I believe it was "resisting police." Pretty bogus, if you ask me.

the formal charge was " being a man in a ladies restroom without permission"
unfortunatly she plead guilty to the charge
Mayor Parker's executive order is being reviewed by the states Attorney Generals office to determine if it gives implicit permission to transgendered women the right to use the restroom of choice in Houston and whether it violates the state law on explicit permission being required and the showing of documentation. further details as they become available.

Danni

Kelly DeWinter
11-26-2010, 09:24 AM
This is another example of "Laws gone Bad". Sorry Texans. In Maryland if a building is over a certain size(i'm not sure), and built after 2008, public restrooms have to be in 3 types Mens,Womens, and Family . When my kids were young, there were times, I would be shopping alone with them, and did not want to take my daughter into a mens room. While there is NO law saying which restroom you HAVE to use based on sex, it is nice to have genderless bathrooms.

Jorja
11-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh thoes d*** transgenders, they are just messing everything up!:)

Seems to me some people need to learn to think past their own little cubicle.

Melissa A.
11-26-2010, 12:20 PM
At the LGBT center in NYC, there is unfortunately, trans programs notwithstanding, still a fair amount of transphobia. People used to complain to the front desk about who was using what bathroom. So they made a few bathrooms "gender nuetral". Ya know what? I have a certain amount of respect for those opposed to the cultural gender binary and all that, but me? I am not gender nuetral. I use the woman's room, still. Screw 'em. What bothers me the most is that they presumed that move would solve everything, and that all us trans folks would dociley flock to those restrooms. Ugh.

Hugs,

Danni Bear
11-26-2010, 07:10 PM
This is another example of "Laws gone Bad". Sorry Texans. In Maryland if a building is over a certain size(i'm not sure), and built after 2008, public restrooms have to be in 3 types Mens,Womens, and Family . When my kids were young, there were times, I would be shopping alone with them, and did not want to take my daughter into a mens room. While there is NO law saying which restroom you HAVE to use based on sex, it is nice to have genderless bathrooms.

Sorry Kelly,

That was passed as a building requirement here in 1994 for new or over 50% remolded buildings in the plumbing codes. It also sets out the minimum number of facilities that a building has to have and the ratio of them. LOL

Danni

Southern Michele
11-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Don't mess with Texas! Just pee behind a bush and all is well. For those of you who have never been there Texas is the best!

JoeyLang90
11-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah,

Don't judge all Americans based on what those crazy Texans are like - It's a pretty rough crowd down there, full of nothing but uneducated, red neck, hillbilly type hicks too stupid to run from the entire Mexican army. Never mind that Texas has provided a huge percentage of the young men and women defending our nation, or that Texas has some of the best high tech R & D and production in the world. I think we also have that huge space thingy magigger down there in Houston. What was it called? Oh yeah - freaking NASA. Of course I'm sure our redneck Rocket scientists in Texas aint so smart and enlightened as the rocket Scientists in Wisconsin though. Hold on a sec - what is it about Wisconsin that makes it so much better than Texas? Was it the cheese? Maybe it was the cheese. . .

Wisconsin is the only place I've been to where they tried to take advantage of me. Three weeks after I returned my rental car, they contacted me to claim that I brought it back all scratched to hell. THREE WEEKS LATER they tried to claim this. I didn't post about how Wisconsin is full of thieves that tried to rob what had to have been one of very few TG's to go through their airport.

Come on people, do we really have to slam an entire state full of fine people just because one overzealous flat foot did something stupid?

Signed TXkimberly
please stop harassing Texas and its people. My friend Martin is from Fort Worth and hes the smartest guy i know. Ive been to Texas, and the people, who some may be dumber than a rock, are genuine. Oh, as for NASA, They have the best of the best working for them. Their employees come from all over the country. Without them, we would never know of such things in our Universe, such as Black Holes, Super Novae, and Galaxy formation.

Melissa A.
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Ok. Everyone's from somewhere. And people will predictabley get wrankled when they see their somewhere get beat up. I'm sure Texas has many cool people, places and history. It also has a silly Governor who used to talk alot about secession and who didn't appear all that bright to me even before he opened his mouth about that.(I know about all the "we can secede legally" stuff. Drop it, please. Not really the point). It's also the state where a widowed trans woman is most likely about to get screwed out of everything she and her husband owned. My State had a silly governor who bullied everyone he could, then wondered why so few people were there for him when the existence of his personal call girl came to light. We also have a completely disfunctional state government known more for it's alumni going to prison than for getting any work done. We have pretty darn high taxes and an infrastructure that is old and falling apart. And can I get a train on time? My city may be a pretty comfortable place for gay and trans folks, but that doesn't help me feel better when I read that another girl like me has been murdered or beat up nearby. Point is, bad stuff happens everywhere. Some places are more well known for it than others. When it comes to human rights,tolerance towards others, and safety, if your home doesn't have a very happy track record, or if prominent, powerful people from where you live have a habit of saying and doing dumb intolerant things, you aren't going to change that by getting your fur in a ball when your home is criticized. Maybe Houston's Mayor overstepped her authority with her directive. Or maybe Houston's city leaders should have got off their asses and made their city a safer place for people like us. If you are from there, and there's a problem, maybe you can own it, try to do something about it, and stop whining about the criticism. We have gender identity protection laws here. Still, we make noise. We march. We rally. We let them know we're watching. We mourn. Just as often as everybody else. I'm getting sick of mourning. Why don't we get pissed off at the people killing us and denying us our rights as citizens, rather than at eachother?

Hugs,

TxKimberly
11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
please stop harassing Texas and its people. My friend Martin is from Fort Worth and hes the smartest guy i know. Ive been to Texas, and the people, who some may be dumber than a rock, are genuine. Oh, as for NASA, They have the best of the best working for them. Their employees come from all over the country. Without them, we would never know of such things in our Universe, such as Black Holes, Super Novae, and Galaxy formation.

Joey, I appluad your sticking up for what you think is right, but I'm afraid you must have missed the point that my post was entirely sarcastic? It was my very intent to show that Texas can hold it's own when it comes to the caliber of the people that live here. I just had to say it in a sarcastic fashion to try and get a smile outta people.
I LOVE Texas. When I got out of the Army over 15 years ago, I CHOSE Texas. Call me crazy, but if Mexico ever decides that they want Texas back, you'll find me at the Alamo shooting south . . .

VampyreWitch
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM
one of my friends who was a crossdresser, he got a sex change, he went into a womans bathroom in a mall, and we were escorted out of the mall by secutiry because some old grumpy lady complained. She chased him out hitting him with her hand bag. She yelled and call'd him a "Pre-vert"
I dare not go back to that mall O.O

Melody Moore
01-01-2011, 06:31 PM
one of my friends who was a crossdresser, he got a sex change, he went into a womans bathroom
'He' who is a crossdresser & 'He' who had a sex change went into a woman's bathroom makes no sense to me. Is this person legally 'female'?

If your friend is now a 'she', then the security had no business doing what they did to this poor girl - I would be filing a law suit.

Sharon
01-02-2011, 12:38 PM
one of my friends who was a crossdresser, he got a sex change, he went into a womans bathroom

'He' who is a crossdresser & 'He' who had a sex change went into a woman's bathroom makes no sense to me. Is this person legally 'female'?

In addition to all of what Melody wrote, why don't you respect your friend enough to refer to her as "she?"

Rianna Humble
01-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Why can't we cut VampyreWitch some slack? She is quite new here and I am sure that she had no intention of dissing her friend. Have none of us ever made a mistake, or used the wrong term for something/someone?

{fx}ducks back into glass house and hopes it stands up to the onslaught of stones{/fx}

RobynB
01-03-2011, 06:18 AM
I'll be joining Kimberly at the Alamo.

VampyreWitch
01-03-2011, 02:11 PM
thank you Ruanna, in all fairness I was tired that day, and it was not a good day at all XP

TerryTerri
01-03-2011, 08:58 PM
(I know about all the "we can secede legally" stuff. Drop it, please. Not really the point).Melissa:)

Actually, if you are from Texas (I'm an Arizonian at this point. But, I'm originally from Texas, born in Houston and raised on the coast between Houston and Corpus) the 'thingy' about being able to secede if we chose to (it was a consession the United States accepted as a condition of Texas's adoption into the United States and although extremely unlikely, it is still a legal right of the state of Texas and we ain't gonna forget it!!! lol.), and the fact we were an independent country for 10 years ARE big deals to us and most of us find much pride in that. Texas, to me is sort of a take it or leave it kinda place. But, you have a bizillion good hearted folks, along with a bizillion idiots. Same as most places. But, in general Texans get REALLY defensive when you start bad mouthing the place. Part of the character of the place and it's people. Texas pride runs VERY VERY Deep!! It's kinda like you can pick on your little brother or sister, but you won't let someone else who isn't family pick on them.

sliplover
03-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Anyone know if there is a compiled list of states and the laws they have for restroom use? I am particularly interested in Minnesota.

MsBette
03-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Now here in Oak Harbor, WA. The advice given to me by calling both the sheriffs dept and the local police was this.
"It's not illegal (here), but if a lady who was also in the restroom had a problem with you're being there
all she would have to do is say you're in there as a voyeur or said you were following her and we'd have to arrest you
because in that case it's her word against yours and we'd have to take her word, as she has the legal balance in her favor.
If you can find a single person bathroom with a lock on the door like so many local businesses have
feel free to use it.
Now if you can get the state to change the gender marker on your ID to female
no one can say anything because to us you're legally identified by a state agency as female, operation or not."

So that's what I did. It still has a male name on it but the pic and gender marker are female now.
To change it all I had to do was get a statement from my specialist saying I was living 24/7 as female now and need my marker changed.
Fill out a change of ID information and mail it to the DOT in Olympia with a copy of my current ID.
They look it over and here they seem to have no problem ok'ing it , then they send you back a form approving it to take into the licensing office.

Debglam
03-20-2011, 11:45 AM
What a gaggle of idiots down there. "If you have men organ, like I got men organ, you go to the men restroom", said the pastor they interviewed. OK, middle aged person with man-tits and a big butt, I'm not too sure...before you enter that guy's room, drop your drawers. The other guy they talked to in the studio is repeating the same old transphobic fear mongering used by every group who ever tried to have a gender identity protection ordinance overturned. The peeping tom or the "rapist-in-a-dress" claim. It has never, repeat, never happened. Not once. Not ever. Anywhere. And laws already exist for it, if it ever did. And WHAT was up with the seemingly without any reason close-up shot of her breasts??? Gah. Poor girl.

Hugs,

All I can say is "Brooklyn's In The House!" Well said girl, well said!

Debglam
03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
These situations keep coming up, be it in a rest room or a dressing room and my thought is this:

Some employee or person sees the TG using these facilities and subjectively decides that it is a "man" dressed as a woman.

What if they "guess wrong!!!"

Genetic women come in all shapes, sizes, and appearances. Imagine the result if the police are called because some ignorant employee decides that a GG looks trans? It would be a financial disaster for the business and possibly for police department as well, depending on how they handle the situation. The risk is so great that it would really be in their best interests to set some sort of policy and to train their employees well.

Maybe someday.
Debby

KateSpade83
03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow... I loved living in Houston for 22 months and when I went out in drag I used the women's restroom a lot! Even in a crowded restroom at the Galleria Mall! I pass very well and look beautiful so I've never had a bathroom problem.

Eryn
03-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I believe it was "resisting police."

That's copspeak for "We can't figure out what to charge her with but we arrested her anyway."

Apparently the Mayor's blanket bathroom permission only applies to city-owned buildings, according to this later article:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/12/transgendered_bathroom.php