PDA

View Full Version : High heels definitely not safe to drive in

sandcastle
11-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Did a first recently, and went out driving in the day (to Oxford).

Underdressed, wig, and a really nice pair of high heels (gladiator?) I'd bought in M&S.

Eventually, found somewhere quiet (ish) to don the wig and change the shoes. Finding such a place was actually pretty difficult - any tips?

Feeling really nervous and wanting to check/adjust the hair, my gear changes became very bad indeed. Probably due to not depressing the clutch enough.

After whipping the wig off, on entering the city, I swapped shoes again before taking a couple of books back to the library.

For my return journey, I decided not to change back into my lovely shoes, but did enjoy having the touch of hair on my shoulders and back, for the 45 minute drive home.

Do you think the frisson of nerves is part of the fun?

Sandra

Helen_Highwater
11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm someone who's ventured out very little, mainly at night, only one one or two occasions in daylight (is there a link between vampires and CD'ing?), I know how nerve racking it can be. Couple that to learning the new skill of driving in heels and it's not surprising that your driving is a bit jaded.
Perhaps it would help if you just tried wearing heels and every thing else drab until you become more proficient, more second nature. Last thing you need is a crash to dent your confidence.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
11-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I say avoid at all costs driving or operating any type of equipment, machinery, automobiles, Marine, and anything in high heels. If an accident results in one not controlling oneself during the operation of the vehicle due to "high heels" how would one answer a prosecutor if the question was proposed in a court where others including media maybe attending? What if the charge was manslaughter and you end up in prison? What would the imprisonment term bring? Wear flats and use the high heels to walk in to and from the equipment and play it safe. Just my suggestion.

LynnInDenver
11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I've not had problems driving in high heels. You just have to be prepared to adjust your posture a little bit, as well as position on the pedals.

Zoie
11-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Ya takes practice I've been wearing them and driving for years.. swear I could race Nascar in them. HEHE

NathalieX66
11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I usually take flats with me.
I almost had an accident last week when the heel of my 3½" heel boot slipped under the brake pedal, prohibiting me from braking. Sometimes when the drive gets long, you get lazy and start contorting your feet in odd configurations , thus the situation I mentioned.

docrobbysherry
11-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't get out much. But once, I tried driving in some 4 1/2"s! I got the knack after a few stop signs, but only drove a couple of miles on surface streets. Would NEVER try it on an express way! EEK!

Rianna Humble
11-24-2010, 04:53 AM
I've read several people say that driving in heels is dangerous, but as Lynn said it is more a question of posture. I have never had any difficulty driving with 4" heels, I simply hold my foot at the correct angle. It may help that I have driven barefoot or with man-style shoes in the past and each of those requires a different posture so adapting to the right posture for heels was no biggie for me.

I'm sorry, but I think Tanya is making quite a stretch from wearing heels to ending up killing someone and going to prison.

Angela Rose
11-24-2010, 05:08 AM
An article in a UK national newspaper claims that more than three million GG women have been rushed to hospital after their high heels have caused accidents. These figures do not include road accidents but are the result of falling over which have resulted in broken ankles, tearing tendons, broken wrists and damaging teeth. 3000 women polled and six out of ten said they would continue wearing the killer heels. If GG girls disregard their safety for fashion, it's no wonder CD's follow suit, but risking their and other peoples lives in a car is to my mind irresponsible.

Sarasometimes
11-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Just part of the learning process that women start when theyare girls. I drive in heels (ok low ones) and just use a bit more caution. The idea that driving in heels is wreckless is a bit of a stretch. There are a lot of things that have risk, we just need to manage the risk. If the clutch is a challenge in 5" stilettoes, don't throw out the shoes (donate them to someone here), start with a low heel and work up to a higher one.

JohnH
11-24-2010, 09:09 AM
There's a difference nobody has mentioned - in the United States almost all vehicles have automatic transmissions [except 18 wheelers], but I understand in the United Kingdom a lot of vehicles have manual transmissions. It's more confusing when one has to work the clutch so in that situation heels would make more of a difference.

Sara Jessica
11-24-2010, 09:18 AM
It's unsafe, just don't do it.

Misty G
11-24-2010, 09:27 AM
I wear heels when driving a lot, have been doing so for several years. It was a bit awkward to begin with but you do get use to it.

LeannL
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I guess it comes down to God-given skills supported by practice. It is the only way I can explain why some appear to be able to drive in heels and some can't. I appear to one of the lucky ones as I have never had a problem and I have been driving in heels for almost 20 years. For most of that time, I have had manual transmissions. In the last 4 months, I have probably driven several thousand miles in the Northeast US - mostly between New York and Boston. It has included city driving and highway driving including backed up highway driving. However, I won't mow my lawn in heels. I have enough trouble with the "clutch" and the brake on that thing already :)

One skill that I do practice at times and which might be useful for those that have manual transmissions is shifting without using the clutch. If you have a syncro-mesh in the transmission, then you can slip in and out of gear by just adjusting the speed of the engine to match the speed of the car. A great many people don't believe that one can do this but, in part, this is why I am on my original clutch with over 200,000 miles on it. (Now if that discussion doesn't show that I truly have a male side, I don't know what will :) !)

So, heel lovers just keep practicing and you will be able to drive yourselves to those hot night clubs in those hhhiiiggghhh heels!

Leann

Sara Jessica
11-24-2010, 09:36 AM
I guess it comes down to God-given skills supported by practice. It is the only way I can explain why some appear to be able to drive in heels and some can't....So, heel lovers just keep practicing and you will be able to drive yourselves to those hot night clubs in those hhhiiiggghhh heels!

Just because one can do something doesn't mean they should. I CAN drive in heels, I have done so in the past. These days I choose not to in the interest of safety.

mklinden2010
11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Did a first recently, and went out driving in the day (to Oxford).

Underdressed, wig, and a really nice pair of high heels (gladiator?) I'd bought in M&S.

Eventually, found somewhere quiet (ish) to don the wig and change the shoes. Finding such a place was actually pretty difficult - any tips?

Feeling really nervous and wanting to check/adjust the hair, my gear changes became very bad indeed. Probably due to not depressing the clutch enough.

After whipping the wig off, on entering the city, I swapped shoes again before taking a couple of books back to the library.

For my return journey, I decided not to change back into my lovely shoes, but did enjoy having the touch of hair on my shoulders and back, for the 45 minute drive home.

Do you think the frisson of nerves is part of the fun?

Sandra

Depends on what you call "fun."

You went out dressed and the sun did not fall into the sea... It never does.

Take note of that... Don't undress; don't give yourself a case of nerves; don't be a nervous/clumsy driver.

Shoes are shoes. Adapt and be safe. I have to take off my hiking boots to drive because the boot locks my ankle and I have to work the entire leg to depress the gas pedal, etc. Smarter to drive in socks and hike in boots. Right tool for the job and all that...

And, not only can you drive without using the clutch to shift, if you think about it, you can drive without the clutch all day long. A bit bumpy, a bit noisy, but I did it in my younger days when the clutch cable would break and I still needed to drive somewhere. Like riding an ill-tempered pony, but it works.

Again, you'd be surprised what you can do. Just be safe.

Angela Rose
11-24-2010, 01:04 PM
reading some of these posts, it seems that most people take the view, that as they have done something for a long time and nothing bad has happened, it never will happen. But it could and it could be you. But you go on looking at life in denial and I trust and pray that your god will keep you safe. When it comes to heels and driving there are two more pedals to contend with Brake and accelarator. Would you agree with the drunk who says he always drives after drinking alcohol and nothing has happened to him, and that he can drive as well when drunk as when sober.

Rianna Humble
11-24-2010, 01:47 PM
When it comes to heels and driving there are two more pedals to contend with Brake and accelarator. Would you agree with the drunk who says he always drives after drinking alcohol and nothing has happened to him, and that he can drive as well when drunk as when sober.

Actually for a proper driver we are talking about three pedals - you forgot the clutch!

Every time you get in a car you have the potential for an accident. If I followed your logic, I should never step out of my hose for fear that something might happen.

It is possible to have an accident when wearing heels. It is also possible to have an accident when wearing men's shoes whilst driving. It is equally possible to have an accident when driving bare-foot. So the obvious solution is never drive because it is possible to have an accident.

Alternatively, you can drive correctly whilst barefoot / wearing flats / wearing heels and know that your choice of footware does not add any certainty of accident.

Incidentally, I have had a number of collisions whilst wearing clothes, should I forgo wearing clothes whilst driving?

JohnH
11-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Actually for a proper driver we are talking about three pedals - you forgot the clutch!

Cars with automatic transmissions have only two pedals - brake and accelerator.

And, not only can you drive without using the clutch to shift, if you think about it, you can drive without the clutch all day long. A bit bumpy, a bit noisy, but I did it in my younger days when the clutch cable would break and I still needed to drive somewhere. Like riding an ill-tempered pony, but it works.

I understand that you don't need to depress the clutch while shifting gears, but how does one stop and start again without using the clutch?

John

Alice Torn
11-24-2010, 02:04 PM
The main thing is to be careful always, and test your heels or boots, to see how they work with the pedals, before hitting the roads. I drove 2000 miles across most of the U.S. with two cats in the car, three times! That was pushing it, hazardous!

KlaireLarnia
11-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Heals and driving depends on what you drive. If you drive a Crosa/Micra I would aviod it - the cars are too small and cramped. If you drive a 4x4, a people carrier (Scenic / Zafira / Galaxy) or even something the size of am Insignia then you should be fine. I often get Insgina's for hire cars at work and I can drive 400 miles in my 3 1/2 inch heels without breaking a sweat once I get the seat in the right position.

Klaire

Suzette Muguet de Mai
11-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Like I said, it is only my suggestion. Do as you like, I am not you :)

Karren H
11-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I've been driving in heels for years and have never had an issue. You want to drive wearing something difficult.. Try my underground mining boots... In a small car you can barely move your feet with them on..

Rianna Humble
11-24-2010, 04:00 PM

QED! You don't need a proper driving license to drive an automatic

Loni
11-24-2010, 04:11 PM

I understand that you don't need to depress the clutch while shifting gears, but how does one stop and start again without using the clutch?

John

to stop just put into nuteral and coast to a stop.
to start have it in gear using the starter moter. best to try and not stop, timing at the lights is a good thing. never run a light or stop sign.
i have had to do this a number of times with a number autos/trucks.
but then i drive a big rig all day/night long.

KlaireLarnia
11-24-2010, 04:15 PM
QED! You don't need a proper driving license to drive an automatic

Really? And there was me thinking that a pure automatic license WAS a proper license, just with a restriction of only being able to drive automatics unless you take and pass a test in a manual car.

Klaire

kayegirl
11-24-2010, 04:26 PM
All this talk of pedals and changing gear without the clutch, it's just too technical. I have a pair of flat shoes in my car, not for safety, but to PROTECT my heels. There is nothing likely to cause more damage to shoe heels, and that includes the flats, than driving a car.

KlaireLarnia
11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Today I wore a pair of flat court shoes for the 4 hour drive home as the car I had was not really big enough for heels. While comfortable, I found that given the position i put my right foot in to be comfortable on the accelerator the my foot rested on the back of the shoe and not the sole, so it started to buckle and rub on the back of my heel after about 200 miles which got irratating. I need to find something with a sole that goes up a little at the rear so that the sole is still on the floor of the car when driving so stop this happening again and (possibly) damaging the shoes.

Klaire

Angela Rose
11-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Rianna. I did not forget the clutch. I was replying to a post by JohnH who mentioned Automatic gearchange cars where a clutch is not used. I was reminding her that there are two other pedals that high heels can cause trouble with. You mention that accidents can happen whatever shoes you wear even if you drive barefoot. This statement is silly, everyone knows that such accidents can and do occur, but you don't have to take the risk of causing the accident. You could be run over by a bus, but I'm sure you wouldn't take the risk of crossing the road in front of a bus that was almost level with you. You don't have to take risks with your life. You can and should take precautions to lessen the risk whatever you are doing.

sandcastle
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Depends on what you call "fun."

You went out dressed and the sun did not fall into the sea... It never does.

Take note of that... Don't undress; don't give yourself a case of nerves; don't be a nervous/clumsy driver.

Shoes are shoes. Adapt and be safe. I have to take off my hiking boots to drive because the boot locks my ankle and I have to work the entire leg to depress the gas pedal, etc. Smarter to drive in socks and hike in boots. Right tool for the job and all that...

Again, you'd be surprised what you can do. Just be safe.

When I bashed out my message about my drive to Oxford, I should have been clearer.

The frisson I experienced was not from the fear of having an accident (which was really horrible).

What gave a tingle was the combination of 'what if I get read' and 'I'm safe from yobs in the car'. That feeling in the skin you get when you're watching a really good horror film - but safe at home.

It's the type of experience that suddenly left me one day aged thirteen, when I realised that I was completely safe walking home, that other kids were not going to hassle me.

As well as the, I guess enjoyable, shiver as I stand enfemme outside in my M&S heels, there is also the sobering thought that perhaps most RGs can never 100% leave this (understandable) fear behind.

Sandra.

JohnH
11-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Really? And there was me thinking that a pure automatic license WAS a proper license, just with a restriction of only being able to drive automatics unless you take and pass a test in a manual car.

Klaire
Let me get it straight. Are you actually are restricted to automatics unless you pass a test in a manual transmission car in the United Kingdom? There are no such restrictions in the United States. Here you can pass the driving test with an automatic transmission car you can drive a manual with no restrictions and vice-versa.

John

sandcastle
11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Yes it's sort of the other way around in the UK.
If you pass your test in a manual, you can drive both manuals & automatics.
But if you have only passed in an automatic you can't drive a manual.

But helpfully, if you've got a qualified driver in the passenger seat, then you can drive either.

Sandra

Rianna Humble
11-25-2010, 12:46 AM
You mention that accidents can happen whatever shoes you wear even if you drive barefoot. This statement is silly, everyone knows that such accidents can and do occur, but you don't have to take the risk of causing the accident.

My statement is no more silly than the person who said that if you wear heels to drive you could end up killing someone and go to jail.

If you drive correctly and adopt the right posture your choice of footware will not add to the risk of causing an accident.

As far as I am aware, there has been no work done to establish a positive statistical link between footwear and accidents, so I would have to base my judgement on personal experience of nearly 40 years driving. In those 40 years, I have been the victim of a number of accidents - none of which were caused by people in heels. I have also had one or two accidents which were my own fault, but I was wearing man-shoes at the time. In fact during those 40 years, I have only witnessed 1 accident which involved someone wearing heels - a cisgendered man wearing flat shoes rammed into the back of the woman in heels when she was safely stopped at some traffic lights which were red at the time.

JOJO44
11-25-2010, 02:10 AM
My statement is no more silly than the person who said that if you wear heels to drive you could end up killing someone and go to jail.

If you drive correctly and adopt the right posture your choice of footware will not add to the risk of causing an accident.

As far as I am aware, there has been no work done to establish a positive statistical link between footwear and accidents, so I would have to base my judgement on personal experience of nearly 40 years driving. In those 40 years, I have been the victim of a number of accidents - none of which were caused by people in heels. I have also had one or two accidents which were my own fault, but I was wearing man-shoes at the time. In fact during those 40 years, I have only witnessed 1 accident which involved someone wearing heels - a cisgendered man wearing flat shoes rammed into the back of the woman in heels when she was safely stopped at some traffic lights which were red at the time.

Think I have to go with you on this one. I have been licensed and have driven everything from two wheels to eighteen wheels in my fifty years of driving and the majority of the accidents involving my vehichle, I wasn't even in the vehichle or I was stopped at a light or sign!

Yes you can be cautious about driving, you can be cautious about life, but if you are so careful as to prevent an accident; should you not also be careful about embarrassing yourself by dressing at all?

Life is to be lived, not shut in your house, venturing out only for a minute or two a day!

No, we do not need take anything to the extreme. If you cannot walk comfortably in heels, I agree with the above statement about wearing heels while driving.

Please remember, you are responsible for your actions, so act accordingly.
If you cannot control your body, while wearing heels or DUI, then be an adult and do not place yourself or others in jeopordy.
Sorry about the rambling.
Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes.
If you are not capable of something, then DON'T DO IT!

Angela Rose
11-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Hi Rianne. Perhaps you have only witnessed 1 accident where the driver wore high heels because everyone else was sensibly wearing flats. The man who rammed onto the back of a car obviously could not blame his shoes. Sorry luv you have no argument. Anyway you and a lot of others are fixed in your ideas and probally wouldn't alter them if evidence was given to you. The is plenty of medical and scientific evidence that high heels cripple women's feet. I wonder why it is tthe first thing a woman does when she gets home from shopping is to take her shoes off.

Rianna Humble
11-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Perhaps you have only witnessed 1 accident where the driver wore high heels because everyone else was sensibly wearing flats.

Yes, and those people who were "sensibly wearing flats" caused 100% more accidents than the women I have seen who were wearing heels whilst driving.

But as you say, those of us who have presented evidence are obviously much less inclined to believe evidence than those who present none.

LeannL
11-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe this will help. At least in the States there are several organizations that analyze vehicle accidents for the insurance industry. If there was a correlation between wearing heels and accidents, not only would there be warnings plastered everywhere including next to those about driving and texting, talking on the cell or drinking, there would probably be a law against it. While not having these is not definite proof, given the nature of the issue, it is highly unlikely that there is any connection between driving in heels and accidents.

Leann

JenniferB
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure I understand the problem here. I drive in 5" and 6" heels all the time with no issues. You just need to be extra careful.

Angela Rose
11-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Rianne this conversation can go on for ever so this is my final observation. In UK there is evidence . Regarding your statement about 100% more accidents involving women wearing flats, then obviously their shoes didn't cause the accident. That's it no more, take care and keep alive. Luv to you all.

JohnH
11-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Yes it's sort of the other way around in the UK.
If you pass your test in a manual, you can drive both manuals & automatics.
But if you have only passed in an automatic you can't drive a manual.

But helpfully, if you've got a qualified driver in the passenger seat, then you can drive either.

Sandra
My point is that in the United States there are NO restrictions imposed on the transmission type you can drive as long as you pass the driving test on any car, automatic or manual.
Maybe there needs to be a drive to simplify licensing in the UK to remove the transmission restrictions.

John

5150 Girl
11-26-2010, 11:55 AM
My old F-150 had 4 on the floor, plus one more... (5 speed manual) I could double clutch it just fine in 5 in heels... The secret to hitting the clutch right is to twist your heel out to the side a little bit

JohnH
11-26-2010, 12:29 PM
My old F-150 had 4 on the floor, plus one more... (5 speed manual) I could double clutch it just fine in 5 in heels... The secret to hitting the clutch right is to twist your heel out to the side a little bit

I have heard about the four-on-the-floor and a fifth under the seat - the meaning of the "fifth" is a little dated since liquor bottle sizes became metric around 1977 in the US. :)

John

sandcastle
11-27-2010, 08:03 PM
My point is that in the United States there are NO restrictions imposed on the transmission type you can drive as long as you pass the driving test on any car, automatic or manual.
Maybe there needs to be a drive to simplify licensing in the UK to remove the transmission restrictions.

John

This part of UK law doesn't need changing at all, thanks all the same.

pattyv
11-27-2010, 08:40 PM
How does one change gears without disengaging the clutch. I'm really curious just in case I find myself in such a situation. Without disengaging the clutch wouldn't I just wreck the gear box. I drive an automatic here in Vancouver, but I can also drive standard shift with no trouble.

I will not drive an automatic with high heels, and I definitely will not drive a standard shift with high heels. Flats only while in the automobile. Dress, slip, bra and hose pose no problems. LOL

JOJO44
11-27-2010, 10:30 PM
How does one change gears without disengaging the clutch. I'm really curious just in case I find myself in such a situation. Without disengaging the clutch wouldn't I just wreck the gear box. I drive an automatic here in Vancouver, but I can also drive standard shift with no trouble.

I will not drive an automatic with high heels, and I definitely will not drive a standard shift with high heels. Flats only while in the automobile. Dress, slip, bra and hose pose no problems. LOL

Practice girl, practice!

Pretty much for a simple explanation, one matches the transmission speed to the engine speed.
Roughly, know what your speed is at specific RPM's, when ready to shift up, as you remove pressure from the throttle, place the shift lever into neutral, wait for the engine and xmission to match speeds and slide the shifter into the next gear.

Sounds simple, huh? Now to shift down, again, move the shift lever into neutral, but this time you must throttle up to the engine speed up to the xmission speed then slide the shifter into the lower gear then back off the throttle to slow down or ease into it to pull that grade.

Simple, just lots of practice and knowing your vehichle.:D:D:D

Jamsey
11-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Well, no one has brought up another reason to not where heels while driving. To protect the heels of your shoes. With what I pay for shoes I want to protect them as much as possible. The few times I drove dressed I had a pair of athletic shoes to drive in. For me, much more comfortable all around. More than a few years ago I heard of pads you can buy for your car floor to protect the heels of shoes. Don't know if they are still around.

Jamsey.

erickka
11-29-2010, 06:56 AM
I drive a Ford Ranger wit a M/T and have no problems with heels at all. I have to admit, I have been driving in heels for as long as I can remember.