PDA

View Full Version : Doing Drag...

ambermicd
09-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey girls. This is super random but i was wondering if anyone out there has done drag. I have been thinking about getting into it, but i have no clue where to start. It looks like fun, but i'm sure there's more to it then just lip-sync'n lol.

Amber :) :)

Colibri
09-12-2005, 10:52 AM
I guess it is like any of the arts. Take classes in acting, work out your own act; try walking in very high heels or see if a Queen would take you under her wing? :dance:

kathy gg
09-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi Amber,

Are there any clubs that have drag shows where you live? If so check and see if they have an ametuer night. Sometimes that is a start. Also, just making friends with some of the gals who do drag and asking quesions is also a good way to see if you have what it takes.

Also, invest in a full length mirror, a fake microphone (use a phone if you dont' have one) and then practice lip synching to your favorite songs. Obviously there are clubs standards (like Cher, Madonna, Whitney) which alot of people like to preform and see done. Some choose Country music (like REba or SHania), while other do rock (Gwen Steffani, Pink)...but basically songs which are well known are what people like to see and hear. Obscure tracks or tracks by unknown atrists might bore a mixed crowd. But put on a Madonna song and almost everyknow will be able to groove along with you.

Most good drag performers can imitate one star rather well.

It takes a certain amount of courage I am sure to get up on a stage and strut around and such. ALso, a really quick sense of humor and wit are required. ANy good drag performer has to be able to entertain the crowd between numbers. This can be sparring with the audience or just being able to be funny off the cuff. Being able to joke about yourself and sexuality seem to be also necessary. I saw one gal do "fame" and she has her wig falling off through have the number and this sort of mock super serious thing going and it was hilarious!

Most of the performers where we live make most of their wage off of tips, so finding your speciality will get people to tip well.

Good luck and keep us informed if you make it!

kathy in canada