PDA

View Full Version : Told my best friend

tanyalynn51
11-24-2010, 02:29 PM
This is a continuation to "Down to the Wire", which I thank everyone for all of the supportive comments on. Well, I just got done telling my friend Chris. Contrary to my paranoia, she didnt get up and yell freak, or run out of the house, or just hit me (she has a mean right cross- Ive seen her in action). She just said ok, and that she loved me as a friend, no matter what, and to let her know how she can help. I know it wont always go well, but I know how much I am blessed that it went so well the first time. She is going with me to meet my therapist, which my therapist thought would be a good idea (as soon as I worked up the nerve to tell her). I knew there was a reason we've been such good friends for six years.

Melody Moore
11-24-2010, 02:42 PM
That's a great start because once you do start coming out it becomes a bit of snow-balling type effect because with each person you do tell you will pick up more & more courage as you realise that people are more accepting than you first every realised. But the biggest hurdle I think will be your family because those closest to you will have the biggest issues because they always thought they knew you and know what is best for you. But when you realise that you have this great network of friends who are accepting, and are less judgemental. You then soon realise that these people become your new family & are the ones that matter the most. As sad as you might think this is... objectionable family members will become less important in your life. If they really love you, then I believe they will be more understanding and want you to be happy.

danielleb
11-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Congratulations on a succesful outcome!:)

Kaitlyn Michele
11-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Great for both of you!!! one step at a time and its great when the first steps are positive ones..

Victoria Anne
11-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Melody pretty much said it . Congratulation on your courage to come out to your friend , now you will find it becoming more important to to come out to others and eventually to your family and as said there will likely find some rejection , anger , confusion and hopefully acceptance . Good luck Tanya

Gerrijerry
11-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Congratulations, We all know what a big step that is.

tanyalynn51
11-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement. Due to being at work for a long weekend, I havent been able to add to this- I told my friend the day before Thanksgiving. I went over to her house for Thanksgiving, so it seemed natural to tell her girlfriend next. I knew her girlfriend too, but not as long or as well. It didnt matter- her gf was also accepting and supportive. At least with them, this isnt what mattered- they knew that Im the same person I always was- just now they understand a lot more about me.