PDA

View Full Version : My GP appointment...

RachelDee
11-24-2010, 02:42 PM
She had asked me to come back to tell her if i wished to proceed with her applying to the PCT for funding (to get me sent to the Nottingham GIC).

On my last visit to her I said i wanted to speak with someone as i thought that was the process. But she just told me to talk to my current (and now ex) therapist for OCD and see if she knew of anyone. There was no one locally unfortunatly, but i did have a good chat with her about things (even if she was not qualified in that particular area).

I told my GP how I'd researched everything (and not just recently, but in the past). Also that I felt that the NHS route would not suit me personally. The NHS site claims all the options available for trans people, from just taking hormones, to fully transitioning to another gender. They claim its all at your own pace and as you feel you need (e.g. the NHS site claims if taking hormones made me feel better, then i could just take that and carry on living as male... then maybe if i wanted to do more i could). Yet look at any GIC's PDF of treatment, and "options" are non existant. You transition. By their rules. Or you get nothing.

There was also the long wait, I tried to express how id been having panic attacks and periods of high anxiety due to this too. Mostly panic attacks tend to be moments of feeling 'trapped' with no way out :straightface:. So waiting for the PCT to grant funding, then the GIC clinic to see me.... but in the mean time what do i do? :idontknow:

I asked if the PCT likley wouldn't consider my request for funding a priority as well, and she kinda laughed and nodded and said thats probably true. That's bad news then :S she mentioned she asked for funding for someone else for the same/similar reasons but did not go into any more detail than that.

Anyway, I pointed out that my only option seemed to be to go private (within my means). Transhealth in London. I gave her the Dr Curtis's name and phone number. She is going to arrange an appointment for me there (I'll be paying though ofc). She said once I had some letter or something from him with a diagnosis, then that would give her more weight with the PCT. I'm hoping that would mean I could potentially do all my therapy through Transhealths approval\guidance? And skip an NHS funded clinics which seem like trans torture chambers (im tired of reading horror stories online about them and their methods, and most informational sites seem to give you tips on tricking them... If i need tips to trick them to get help im seeing the wrong people).

£220 + £120 every 3 months isn't so bad... ok its not ideal. But, yeah.

I tried to enquire about what would happen if they (Transhealth) prescribed hormones, would the NHS pay for that (I am saving the PCT money here after all).
But she said she didnt think they (transhealth) would prescribe though. I did tell her they were a Gender Clinic, and could do so potentially. Its about £100 i think for a blood test (yikes). She just said we'll wait and see what happens once i go.

I really wanted to know if i paid for this, what impact would it have on treatment though the NHS though. Would it help me along or would i start at the beggining still. She seemed to think it would help! :)

She is contacting them and sorting out an appointment for me it seems. For Jan next year if possible.

I did attempt to get my hands on some interim treatment, yes i didnt think it would come to anything either. Not hormones, just anti-androgens. I already take one now in a small dose. I asked her if she could give me something stronger, to help reduce sex drive and general 'maleness'. I checked some sources online and read that you can take them on their own, and people do (for different reasons). Unfortunatly, no :( she wants to wait and see what Transhealth have to say first. Oh well, if you dont ask you'll never find out so.

If i start following a path of treatment next year (maybe i wont? im not going to make assumptions) going through Transhealth i will be sure to report frequently on what happens and what i manage to do. I'm sure it would be helpful to anyone else who is going through the NHS as well, and may be of use to them.

So thats about it really. Need to sit tight till January 2011.