PDA

View Full Version : creeping boundaries of perceived feminity

sandra-leigh
11-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Sometimes I have noticed that something I once thought was daringly feminine to wear now appears to be "male" to me.

For example, last week I pulled out my jackets and coats to sort through, to get rid of the male jackets and coats that I no longer wear. I found my very pretty woman's dyed sheepskin jacket without difficulty, but I was having trouble finding my regular woman's winter coat. While I was going through the pockets of my male coats before bagging them up, I noticed the label on one of them: it was my "missing" woman's coat, but my perception of "feminine" versus "ordinary" had altered enough that I had interpreted it as a male coat.

In at least one of the situations where this happened, I had the thought that the garment no longer seemed to be "female enough" for me.

To mangle a famous quote: "It is not enough that feminine be done: it must be seen to be done."

I'm having a field-day here, hypothesizing why this is happening to me. Give me another half hour and I'll probably have enough material for three published papers :heehee: