PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Shopping While Pretty!

jjjjohanne
12-01-2010, 07:37 AM
I went Christmas shopping last year in shorts and nude hose. I determined that this year I would go in all femme clothes but with my homme head. As the year progressed, I decided that I would wear darker hose. At some point, I decided I would wear a skirt and heels. And that is what I did. Teal blouse, black skirt, taupe pantyhose, black heels, no makeup, no wig, no forms. I was a just dude en femme (because I don't want to be a girl). It was awesome!

I was on a road trip. I went to Asheville, NC to do my shopping. I had been told that Asheville was a very accepting place. I now wonder if it is the San Francisco of the east coast. I went to a place called the Grove Arcade. It was not busy and I parked very nearby at a parking meter. I was nervous, but I was bold. I had my emergency bag of menswear in hand. I clopped into the building in my heels. The floors were granite/tile, so my every step was noisy. I decided not to be so nervous and I walked past the few men and women inside with the same air of confidence. I remembered what people here say about acting like you own the place. That is easier said than done.

First, I went into a women's clothing store. I walked around a little. One of the clerks watched me a long time but never spoke to me. I left there and walked in the public section. People would make eye contact, then notice my outfit and look down at my legs. Then they would look away or maybe make eye contact again. I said "good morning" or "hello". Normally, they would smile and/or return the greeting.

I went into another clothing store because my nerves could not take any more publicity. This clerk was friendly and social. I asked her for fashion advice. She said I was frumpy and I needed fancier shoes and a sexier top. (I had to convince her to tell me the truth.) She said I should lose the undershirt and get something with lace. As we talked, she realized that I am not out like this very much and her tune changed. It turns out she was gay. Suddenly this was, to her, my "coming out experience" and she started trying to encourage me and justify my right to be however I want to be, etc.

I relaxed and just started to forget my clothing. I went into stores where it was just me and the male shop attendant. They were equally friendly to me as if I was fully en homme. My nerves were relaxing. In clothing stores, I asked for fashion opinions/advice. I went into a bath/fragrance store. That clerk was a beautiful and beautifully dressed woman. She seemed entirely warm and friendly. She ex-foliated my hands and I asked her if she even noticed my outfit. She said yes. I told her what I was doing and I asked her for advice. She said I looked nice, but it looked sort of librarian (I had to pull that out of her). She was so kind. She even recommended some stores down the street where some of her guy friends buy their skirts (I know, right?!?).

I walked down the street and visited shops. I was starting to forget that I was dressed oddly! In fact, after I moved my car, I forgot to bring my emergency bag. This is when I swapped my heels for my flats. This really made me more comfortable, both physically and also in my nerves Several clerks in the shops I visited mentioned their crossdressing friends. I am sad that I cannot tell the story of how this all went and relate how pleasant it all was.

The meter was running out and it was time for lunch. I went to the Olive Garden. It was a non-event. I was the only person in the waiting area and it was no big deal. I was seated near a group of men and they acted disinterested even though they noticed. Another customer, a woman, looked at my legs several times and then never looked back. My server never noticed anything.

Then I went to the mall. I kept on the skirt. By this point, I was starting to forget that I was dressed. Except for the obligatory glance down when I met people in the aisles, everything was just like being dressed like a man. I finally started buying Christmas gifts. I walked through the mall section. I was more nervous, but no big deal. I was walking past big, burly, blue collar men with the same disinterest as when I walked past anybody. I was walking while looking at my list. I stopped looking at people's faces to see if they noticed. I was becoming comfortable in my own skin (and clothes).

The mall was the only place where something negative occurred. First, the girls in the fragrance/make up area in one store all became quiet, and looked at me. They walked around their booths to get a look at me after I passed. These were those pretty cheerleader types whom, I predict, were catty and hard on other girls. No one else the entire day looked at me like there was anything wrong with me. But they did! Only in that one store, by the way. Second, there were two teenagers who walked by as I was exiting a store. They locked arms and were talking close with a silly manner about them. I was walking down the mall behind them. When our paths forked apart, they immediately went for their cell phones (cameras). I made sure to keep obstacles between us. I don't think they got a picture or video of me.

After that I went to Kohls and Target. I wore shorts in Target, and I think that was wise. There were a lot of kids about by this point. In shorts, I seldom got the look down from people.

After that, I went on to where I was staying the night. Summary of what I learned: I can do anything. I dress like an 80's librarian. I need to get a black undershirt. I need prettier shoes. Women think I have pretty legs. I need to get clothes with more accents. People in Asheville are accustomed to oddly dressed people. I should shop Zappos for shoes. I need a blouse with no pockets. I need a skirt with pockets.

Today, my feet hurt.

Thanks for reading!

JiveTurkeyOnRye
12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Congratulations on your outing, sounds like you really went for gusto and I'm happy it went so well for you. Nice that you didn't let the initial nerves get to you. Once before I got as comfortable as I am with how I dress, which is in the same philosophy as you, no forms, no wig, making it clear I'm a guy. I do wear a bit of eye makeup but that's something I've only recently become comfortable doing as much.

It's nice that the girl at the second store gave you some outfit tips, even if you had to drag them out of her, no pun intended. I know looking back at my first few "Guy in a skirt" outfits, they give me a couple of shudders. Now that I've been out and about doing that for over a year I've actually learned a thing or two about putting together a solid outfit so now when I go out I don't forget what I'm wearing in order to feel comfortable about it, I'm just aware that while it's unusual, it looks awesome so I am proudly displaying it.

It's a shame the girls at the mall store were so rude. For me with mall shopping that is definitely the exception and not the rule. Usually people are really happy to help me. I will say that in the cases of people who watch you but don't approach you when you enter stores, sometimes they're just waiting for your behavior to dictate how they react, you almost have a special magic power to control their behavior. If you act apprehensive and worried that they think you're up to something, they'll think you're up to something, but if you walk up to them and smile and ask a question, it will do wonders for how they treat you. Suddenly you become a fun story for them.

I hope you will continue to post about your adventures! The only thing that confused me was when you said you were dressed en femme, because I usually specifically use the term "en femme" to mean "as a woman," as in trying to pass or present as a woman.

Also, some skirts have pockets but they're rarely functional and often putting things in them messes with the shape or hang of the skirt. If you're serious about going out dressed up, I highly recommend investing in a purse. I have a nice over the shoulder cross-body purse from target that looks like a camera bag for the most part, and I love it.