PDA

View Full Version : Just back from the motor Vech. Dept.

Gerrijerry
12-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I went in to renew my license this morning. I have been full time for a while now. I went to the information desk gave my old license and renewal form. The woman in the window looks at me and at the form. Never looked at my old license. Then tells me you marked male not female smiles and changes it. Puts the old lincense in a machine that reads it some how and put's in the renewal also. I was then given a card and told to go for a new photo. I went to the photo window. The guy there takes my photo presses some buttons and a few minutes out comes my new license with my new photo female and male name and sex Female. Then he reads it and looks at. Miss he asked what is your name. Without thinking I reply what everyone calls me Gerri. not my male name. It says something different he replies. Oh yea that is my nickname I gave you sorry. So is this a mistake the Gerald and the dene is missing. Ah Well, I started say yes it was correct, but he said another goof up of the machine sorry then types my name again into the computer. It soon pops up a new license same photo marked female and with Geraldene on it. Hands it to me. This system is so bad it leaves out letters on longer names. They have to fix it.
So now I have my new license with not only it marked female and new photo but with a female name change. And people say bad things about how that department works. I love them.

Kelly DeWinter
12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Just curious, have you had a legal name changes as well ?

Gerrijerry
12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Actually I was going to put the name change in this week. Still will I just thought it was funny that they did it before I did it legally. I already have paper work from counselor etc. And paper from doctor which is needed to do the legal part. Could say they put the cart before the hourse

sandra-leigh
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
The letter from the doctor -- was that just for the sex marker change, or is it required for the name change?

Kaitlyn Michele
12-02-2010, 12:46 PM
What a neat story..i'll bet you look at the new Driver license more than you ever did before!!

Are you certain that having the nonlegal name on your license will not cause unintended consequences? hospitals, travel etc....

Rianna Humble
12-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice story Gerri.Hope all goes well with the legal bit of your name change

Gerrijerry
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
As of 2:45 pm my new name is now with the court. Thought that might be safer because of what went on at the motor vech.
The doctor letter I have is about the hormones and some of the surgery I already had completed.
Thank you all for your interest, I just thought that it was funny how if I wanted to get that all done at the motor Vech, it would have actually required more. Thinking how much of a pain they normally are that they goofed and assumed is what is reallyt strange and crazy about it.

TxKimberly
12-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Lucky lucky you!

Melody Moore
12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
While I agree that its good to have all your documentation changed o reflect your true gender I am amazed & shocked that they did this without having a birth certificate or legal name change document with a Gender Identity Certificate. I agree this system is bad - your example shows flaws in your local government. because what this means is that anyone can get dressed up as a female and change their name & sex without any of the proper checks and is wide open to creating fraudulent IDs.

Stephanie Anne
12-02-2010, 04:52 PM
While I agree that its good to have all your documentation changed o reflect your true gender I am amazed & shocked that they did this without having a birth certificate or legal name change document with a Gender Identity Certificate. I agree this system is bad - your example shows flaws in your local government. because what this means is that anyone can get dressed up as a female and change their name & sex without any of the proper checks and is wide open to creating fraudulent IDs.

Yes and in reality the truth is no one really cares for all the paperwork they say they have to do. Granted some states are more strict than others. If you show your current ID and it resembles your picture, most DMV offices have no probable cause to disbelieve it is you.

While my state does require documentation to change anything on your license and it takes an extended period of time to get your name legally changed, they don't really have to make it difficult to do so.

For example, I just got my social security name changed. It was a breeze and I only needed to chow the court order, birth certificate and current ID. It took less than 5 minutes and it was changed.

I find nothing wrong with the current regulations. they are about as easy as they can be and really do not inconvenience the person getting the change done.

Our government is not flawed as post 9/11 federal regulations require more documentation on name changes. What was done here does indeed violate New york law as well as federal mandates. I would make sure you get your court ordered name change as soon as possible and the required documentation from your therapist and doctor.