PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to sew?

callygo
09-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey Y'all,

this is my very first post ever, horray me. :clap:

I am the stay at home mom now and the rugrats are at school. My wife has a sewing machine that cost as much as a bass boat that just sits in this closet with me. So I was wondering how hard is it to make your own clothes? Anyone got any ideas?

Ally

Billijo49504
09-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi and welcome, mine isn't as expensive as a bass boat, but it was enough. I would suggest trying your local Community Ed, to see if they have classes. Another place to look is the sewing machine stores. Some have beginners classes. How do you get people to buy new machines, if you don't teach them how to sew?
If all else fails, buy a beginners pattern, ask at the fabric store, and give it a try. Oh, fabric stores might have classes also.
I'm sorta learning to quilt. still got to move furnature to put my second quilt together. If quilting is of interest, check at quilt stores.
As they say, let your fingers do the walking. Above all, have fun.

Tristen Cox
09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
A couple threads on sewing from previous discussions.
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13987&highlight=sewing
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1856&highlight=sewing
Can't say how much it costs to make your own stuff though I only do alterations

Angela Burke
09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Tristen Cox]A couple threads on sewing from previous discussions.
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13987&highlight=sewing
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1856&highlight=sewing
Can't say how much it costs to make your own stuff though I only do alterations[/QUOTE
"A couple of threads on sewing!"
Nice one.

Love Angela XX

Stephenie
09-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Tristen, That was what the plastic surgen said. :lol:

Tristen Cox
09-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Okay okay I really must be blonde cause it took me that long to figure out what you lot were laughing about. Geez I feel :duh: :bonk: :killcompu :help:

Imogen_Mann
09-13-2005, 02:13 PM
I use this site a lot for ideas... but I'm just starting out with my first machine too, so it's early days :rolleyes:

http://www.fashion-icon.com/studio/index.html

Hope it works for you. Not sure about the cost though :)

XX

Jayme

parris james
09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I have a computer Viking, a surger, a white(good for thick materials) and my favrourite is my industrial Consew which will do any thickness of leather :love:

Imogen_Mann
09-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I have a computer Viking, a surger, a white(good for thick materials) and my favrourite is my industrial Consew which will do any thickness of leather :love:

I can borrow a Frister Rossman from my mother, she claims it could sew tectonic plates together... having seen it at work a month back on a sheepskin rug... I could almost believe it. NOT one to catch your finger in (the machine or my mum !!) :D

XX

Jayme

MarinaTwelve200
09-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Y'all,

this is my very first post ever, horray me. :clap:

I am the stay at home mom now and the rugrats are at school. My wife has a sewing machine that cost as much as a bass boat that just sits in this closet with me. So I was wondering how hard is it to make your own clothes? Anyone got any ideas?

Ally

Well, I have recently thought about doing that myself. I dont consider myself a seamstress, but I have sewn a Sail, a tent, and a "museum quality" confederate battle flag (my master work). My next project is a Confederate national flag ( hey, im a history nut and the only way I woulda got those things was to make it myself)

Sewing is not all THAT hard. I follow the principle of turning over and hemming any and all cut ends of cloth---And MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL--Pin everything together with as many pins as it takes---before sewing. That way you have it right before you sew a stitch and adjustments are easier.

Of course there is a lot more for ME to learn--I've never sewn from a pattern before or made clothing but I am wanting to find out. Im sure there is a "tayloring" website somewhere that shows the shape of the peices to make a mans oldfashioned top coat or a woman's empire waist gown.---being an artist, I shouldnt have problems duplicating it.---

Mx Justina
09-13-2005, 05:51 PM

I alter in some way many of the clothes (femme and unisex) that I wear.

I have a japanese sewing machine which is usefull for some clothes modifications...but I haven't taken the time to purchase a decent serger to compliment it. For most serious alterations a serger is just as critical as sewing machine.

J.

parris james
09-13-2005, 06:00 PM
MX Justina, you are absoultley right. If you don't have a surger and trying to do alterations your pretty much back to hand sewing :thumbsdn:

Jayme :lol: The frister rossman is the same thing as the consew, basically. If you've never used one of these machines they can hurt you very badly :eek:
You need to get alot of scrap material and practice with causion, but you'll eventually get the hang of it, they're very fast :)

Amelie
09-13-2005, 06:54 PM
While a serger is a great time saving machine, especially for stretch knit fabrics, a regular sewing machine can do just as well. All that is needed in a sewing machine is one that does straight and zizag stitches. This is all that is needed to do make a good garment. But a serger is a fine machine.

Cost,, Go to E-bay and see what different fabrics and prices are for them.
It all depends on the fabric that is used. You can make a nice skirt with about 1/2 yard of stretch knit fabric. This fabric can easily be found for 2-3 dollars a yard. Add a piece of elastic, thread and the cost of a skirt like this could cost 5-6 dollars plus your own labor.

Yes, I sew all my clothes. If I make a mistake and tear the fabric, I still wear the garment, I just call it punk look.

DragonLotus
09-13-2005, 07:05 PM
:hugs: Yeah I sew too. Haven't had my machine out for awhile but with all this weight loss all my decent clothing will have to be taken in!

I was at a charity book sale today actually, and bought a couple of really kool sewing books: one on fitting patterns and existing garments to your body type (not my strong "suit") and another on how to do some of the fancier finishing techniques like the fashion houses do.

Now that I'm sewing 2 or 3 Halloween costumes this year too, I think I'll be going through a sewing phase again for a bit! Honestly, the gals on here who know how to sew get the best of both worlds. Cheaper clothes and a custom fit that no GG store in the world could give them.

:thumbsup:

Hi Amelie! :hugs:

Katie Ashe
09-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Like Tristen said... I am asmed to say yes.

:welcom: :wave:

Missy Anne
09-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi Callygo,

Welcome to the forum!

Sewing is not difficult, especially if you have any mechanical aptitude at all. It just takes a little reading and practice and start with relatively simple patterns. My wife recommends Simplicity for their easy instructions. I actually showed her how to use the machine initially as she had only done hand sewing previously.

Good luck!

Missy Anne

norbie
09-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Of course you can do it. I still got my old Singer, but it has basics like zig-zag so I can do with it.
Start with a simple skirt I would say and yes to Simplicity Patterns,
Go on you can do it,
Norbie