PDA

View Full Version : Are you addicted to crossdressing?

Stelli
08-20-2004, 10:46 PM
As outcome of classification discussion lets explore this question:

Are you addicted to crossdressing?

Tristen Cox
08-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Stelli you never cease to examine all sides.
In all senses... yes I am addicted I would say to crossdressing. Like an addiction I love anything related or connected in any way. It would seem I can not get enough. From literature, to media, to conversation. Is this an addiction in the way drugs are? No I don't think a normal CD is going to kill someone for a dress. But still one may opt to buy a skirt instead of a new work shirt. If it is an addiction then it is probably the safest if, allowed in moderation. I think the same rules apply here as would any addiction however.( I.E.) If you can't solve your problems, then dressing won't solve them for you. But I do think there is some room for a group who is mearly dressing like a woman as an addiction. The difference being they will soon out grow this 'urg' whereas the true crossdresser will become more involved with themselves and continue quite possibly for the rest of their life.

Stelli
08-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Thank you for the reply. So, I will be even more clear with my short question:

Addiction in any meaning that suites your belief or knowledge.

HillaryArtemis
08-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Addiction is a term like fetish that I believe carry such heavy negative connotations that I would not subscribe to either as a CD. What I do is in some case natural for me just like shopping for groceries, preparing food, digesting it, burning calories, and then pleasently laying waste. Now you may be addicted to buying shoes or you may have an erotic fetish for black heels, but CDing is far more complex than either of these two activities. So when you try and "cure it" I believe that this is impossible. I know addictions can be cured, and fetishs can be controlled, but CDing never. It is just part of you.

JodiArtemis

Thanks for all the posts, Stelli, you are caring and deeply intelligent human being. I treasure your friendship and admire you, girl.

Stelli
08-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Point taken. I do believe that both words fetish and addiction have unwanted conotations. Only difference that I see is that fetish (to the great degree in current use) has sexual conotation while addiction does not. And I honestly do not approve calling crossdressing as fetish on its own (while understanding that crossdressing can be outcome of fetish). Second, addiction on itself is not very appropriate term but very close to describe regular strive for fulfilment. As for shopping for example casually I would say I am addicted to shopping but I can also say I am shop-a-holic. Or for work, where I would say that I am workaholic. I would rarely use addicted to work. But XXXXX-holism is some sort of addiction.

Terminology streches to everyday use. I am aware what someone may think if takes in account that there is addiction to drugs and compares that to addiction to crossdress. But also I am aware of saying I am addicted to shopping or racing or eating salt and vinegar chips (you made me laugh on this one) and compare that to addiction to crossdress. These two aproaches have different meanings. And again, English is not my primary language, however, I do understand that this language as any other language have many words that are applicable according to the society in which they are used. Having said that I understand that there is "addiction" in medical terminology to describe dependancy on substances (and for that one I rather use word narcomany or better and wider term toxicomany to be more accurate in meaning of addiction to drugs) and one more casual meaning towards something that is going to be used in above average amounts. It really depends on the dictionary usage.

Consequently to this background thinking I have said: "Addiction in any meaning that suites your belief or knowledge." to cover any understanding one may have about it and declare if in its own understanding addiction applies to ones case. No strings attached. It is free interpretation suited to personal interpretation.

As for excercize how much this term can be streched: I my understanding (of a person that have tried various addictions in his life and observed effects from first hand experience) I came to conclusion that addictions cannot be cured. They can be successfuly replaced with another addictions and thus rendered irrelevant and declared "cured" but we all have some addiction (in very streched meaning) in our lives that makes us going. Some of them go very deep in social structure so that they are not even considered addictions as such but in my phylosphical excercize it is amusing to debate as to what addiction is and what is not. I believe that lateral views using well known terms can be good mental excercize to look at yourself and your environemnt from a different angle. To strech that view to generally unacceptable level I would say that there is addiction to create and even more to addiction maintain sane puritanistic world. Some people are simply addicted to that idea and if it is not fulfilled they get very disordered, emotional, even agressive as to putting you back in the box they believe you deserve to be for whatever higher goods they find valuable including the will of god what they will freely interpret in their benefit. While in the same time hold to declaration of individual freedoms. Thus, I give and ask here ultimate freedom of understanding: "Any meaning meaning that suites your belief or knowledge."

Stelli
08-21-2004, 12:43 PM
I wish to thank all for taking participation in the poll. Poll remains open and results are very interesting. Comments are also welcome both on understanding and on poll results.

Amelie
08-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Addiction term does not apply to my case.

Amelie

Gina V.
08-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Stelli, that was a heavy letter,I don't think of CD as an addiction, its just the Girlie inside wanting to be free,we are not addicted to it, its already there.Love to you all, Gina V.

Stelli
08-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi Stelli, that was a heavy letter,I don't think of CD as an addiction, its just the Girlie inside wanting to be free,we are not addicted to it, its already there.Love to you all, Gina V.

I know her. But as much as it is inside person to you and me, there is outside view on all four of us :)

My posting was not there to influence anyone on the interpretation of it, it is merely response to Jodi how much it is possible to strech the term.

Stelli
08-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Addiction term does not apply to my case.
Amelie

Good, understood and accepted.

Feel explaining?

Sonya Love
08-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Addiction is such a strong word. To me it implies you would die without it, like how a heroin addict might get deathly sick without their drug. So of course not.

But if you mean are you psychologically dependent on it, would you go to pieces without that avenue of escape that crossing allows, my answer would be no. I enjoy it, I love it, I would do it more if I could, but if there was some compelling reason that forced me to give it up, I could. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could do it.

kristi cd
08-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Addiction is such a strong word. To me it implies you would die without it, like how a heroin addict might get deathly sick without their drug. So of course not.

But if you mean are you psychologically dependent on it, would you go to pieces without that avenue of escape that crossing allows, my answer would be no. I enjoy it, I love it, I would do it more if I could, but if there was some compelling reason that forced me to give it up, I could. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could do it.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. ;)

HillaryArtemis
08-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Perhaps playing with words is the best art we can have. I am not so sure, but I think we are arguing over a meaning of a word. What a word means to you and then to me might be different. What the word means in the dictionary might be different too. Sub groups of people might even pick up the word and totally reverse or change the meaning in itself. Stelli, I am not even sure that a poll based upon such a loaded word as addiction word carry any more weight than a poll on being an "environmentalist" or a "moral person." But you are right girl friend that it is fun to play word games and mental games and stretch things all that we can. Such is life and it is what makes us special as a species our unique power of language and communication. To you, my friend.

JodiArtemis

Tristen Cox
08-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Stelli, pretty deep. Point well taken. I like the "dress-a-holic" term better than "addicted to dressing". Amazing how things stretch out from different views.

Julie
08-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Stelli,

While I realize this is probably more of a curiosity than a psychological excercise I see categorization as being something that is needed by the medical community to enable them to discuss it with other professionals and to better help treat the patient. Unfortunately there are those laypersons who don't have a degree, or often any real knowledge whatsoever, who use this in a harmful way.

I answered does not apply. I don't see this as crossdressing. I see this as simply being myself. Mentally I am probably female or maybe my brain's wired more like a woman's but my thoughts are definitely more female than male. So dressing up for me is simply making my physical self appear more in line with what my mental image of myself is.

When I label myself I use the term transgendered. To me that means I have a gender conflict of mind and body that has been with me as long as I can remember. Mainstream society doesn't have a solid stigma they have attached to that word yet. It can mean many different things depending on who you talk to. Crossdresser and transvestite are more easily defined by mainstream society and the stigma is very negative and it doesn't even come close to who I am.

I'm putting this out there for discussion not to criticize you for having made the poll. I just am wondering what others think when they are labeled or when they label themselves.

Stelli
08-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Julie, that is/was the base of my question. How one feels if put into description of the word that tends to describe what we do, feel and what it means to us?

Words and terms have strechy meaning depending on group of people and society. The need to clasify is deeply inbound into western culture being based on analytic method of thinking, thus it is no wander that this need is required by professions. They need classification in order to define thier rules of practice.

This excercize is also here to see how conformtable we all are with external definitions and maybe reach concensus on what we could use to describe us.

These are all open questions for us to define, at least from our side.

Stelli
08-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Similar term to addcition - obsession.

How do you feel about this one?

Stelli
08-22-2004, 07:37 AM
I also have tought about my own question and came to conclusion that I cannot be absolutly sure to outrule addiction or maybe milder word obsession. At some times it hits me hard and in these times I almost see it as addiction or urge to do it. At some other times I am completely indifferent to it, can live without it. In my particular case it is very periodic and repeatedly comes back and repeatedly goes away.

I would think that addiction is something that you need on regular base (I am not very conformtable with using addiction to drugs as only meaning of addiction term) in this light I would say, no I am not addicted. But when I need to do it then it is craving for it. In these times I can say, Yes I am addicted to it - for the time being.

Poll is valid only to the certain extent, the discussion here is something that can give us better perspective by getting different viewpoints. Conclusions are never absolutely correct, there is always some case that fail out of the rule.

Elinor
08-22-2004, 08:34 AM
:o Well after two days without anything feminine I'm home and pulled on a three net petticoat crep-de-chine skirt and wig then put on some lipstick bright red :p I certainly feel better now. I can't and don't wish to give up my desire to be feminine at times. ;) Yes it's me just being me. :p

SultrySara
08-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Im not sure how to classify myself? All I know is when I am sara I feel so much more comfortable and relaxed (not to mention sexy as hell) and wish sometimes I could stay this way forever, I just love dressing as a woman and feeling aroused as a woman.

clarissa3d
08-22-2004, 07:00 PM
To say I am addicted to dressing normally does not apply. To say I am addicted to those things that are out side the norm well then I am addicted to erotic type sex!

Jen_TGCD
08-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I voted "Addiction term does not apply to my case."

As my name here suggests, I consider myself to be Transgendered but add the CD to denote that I am not "living as a woman" as the TG term sometimes is interpreted. Therefore... my dressing is not an addiction... more of an innate impulse to present myself as a woman.

I have noticed, for the last five years, that expressing myself as female has become more "compulsive". Always searching for the perfect outfit, better makeup, new hair styles, authentic presentation... etc. I really have to get myself centered every now-and-then to keep it under control or it becomes disruptive to the rest of my "male" life. It's like I'm rushing to catch up after suppressing the natural impulses to be a woman for most of my life. All those things the genetic women take for granted are a challenge for me. I do admit, though, that the transformation process is fascinating and thrilling and fun. There is nothing more fulfilling then looking in the mirror and not seeing any remnants of the male persona.

So, my crossdressing does occupy most of my time... either dressing, shopping or just thinking about it. Is that an addiction? Compulsive behavior? Or just the pursuit of happiness???

Stelli, your poll was actually very well thought out and covers all avenues of expression. I think, at different times in my life, I would have answered in any of the four categories. When I can't dress, it does feel like an addiction in that there are truly symptoms of withdrawal... and when you finally get your fix and can dress again, you feel calm and relaxed. What is that all about, anyway? It will be interesting to find out, someday, why we feel and act the way we do... but in the meantime, I'll just keep on doing what seems natural and fun and keep on taxing my expendable income to find that perfect dress!!! :o
--- Jan -------------

jessicadiane
08-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Ditto Erica

Stelli
08-24-2004, 11:50 PM
I voted "Addiction term does not apply to my case."

As my name here suggests, I consider myself to be Transgendered but add the CD to denote that I am not "living as a woman" as the TG term sometimes is interpreted. Therefore... my dressing is not an addiction... more of an innate impulse to present myself as a woman.

I have noticed, for the last five years, that expressing myself as female has become more "compulsive". Always searching for the perfect outfit, better makeup, new hair styles, authentic presentation... etc. I really have to get myself centered every now-and-then to keep it under control or it becomes disruptive to the rest of my "male" life. It's like I'm rushing to catch up after suppressing the natural impulses to be a woman for most of my life. All those things the genetic women take for granted are a challenge for me. I do admit, though, that the transformation process is fascinating and thrilling and fun. There is nothing more fulfilling then looking in the mirror and not seeing any remnants of the male persona.

So, my crossdressing does occupy most of my time... either dressing, shopping or just thinking about it. Is that an addiction? Compulsive behavior? Or just the pursuit of happiness???

Stelli, your poll was actually very well thought out and covers all avenues of expression. I think, at different times in my life, I would have answered in any of the four categories. When I can't dress, it does feel like an addiction in that there are truly symptoms of withdrawal... and when you finally get your fix and can dress again, you feel calm and relaxed. What is that all about, anyway? It will be interesting to find out, someday, why we feel and act the way we do... but in the meantime, I'll just keep on doing what seems natural and fun and keep on taxing my expendable income to find that perfect dress!!! :o
--- Jan -------------

This is very nice stated and I like it very much. Thank you for the feedback poll and the time. I cannot but agree with you in all of this: I am not addicted to CD at most of the time, and I am addicted to it at times. Sometimes it doesnot apply to me at all .... There is no state that spans in the time that doesnot change, only a snapshoot can be taken.

I am very happy to read responses specially touching like this one. What I admire here is peacefulness of acceptance wisdom.

Sara Kat
08-25-2004, 12:12 AM
I'll go along and say that it's an addiction. I don't last very long trying to go cold turkey and it's something that I don't think I can live without doing. So go ahead and call me a girly addict! :p