PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Mexico

abigailf
12-04-2010, 12:08 PM
So, I'm traveling to Mexico (Monterrey). I know there is some level of LBGT equality there, but any idea's or opinions on how safe it is to fly there dressed (from US) or going about while there. Although, with all the alerts I read, going about sounds risky, dressed or not.

MJ
12-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Flying dressed you should have no problems i still fly with my male passport last time i was put in the tsa screening cage but i get a good pat down nothing more i understand there reasons but nothing happens boarding the plane is no big deal.
walking around the streets of Monterrey dressed or not is just as risky but i would not let that stop you. we could just as easily get killed in a bar in our home town as any were else for that matter.
Bottom line is you only live once just do it have fun enjoy life
Hola

tgirl2b
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I live on the border , And won't go all.It's not safe dressed or not. People are turning up missing all the time .I hear to many bad stories.

sherri
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
The Texas border is extremely dangerous these days, at least for locals, don't know about tourists. I wouldn't visit any border town right now for any reason. I would think the interior might be safer in terms of cartel violence, but I've heard there's quite a bit of prejudice against TGs -- it is the land of macho, after all. Bottom line for me, I'd sure hate to get into any sort of trouble in a country like Mexico.

Barbara Dugan
12-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I am from Monterrey and other than a few stares from people I think you will be safe.Some places are dangerous to be around. I would avoid some places at night unles you have someone guiding you but the downtown area at daytime is pretty safe. If you are traveling after December 18th be prepared to party.. around that time most business are having their Christmas parties and believe me they love to party around that time:)

eluuzion
12-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Don’t forget to pack your flak jacket, ak47 and couple of grenades! The Gulf Cartel vs. the Zetas is the only game in town now. They have even yanked some people out of a couple nightclubs (that “disappeared”).

I am amazed how many people are still willing to deceive themselves into believing tourists are still “safe” in these areas. Any “positive” reports (if any exist) are simply the local tourist industry grasping at straws to hopefully lull a few tourists down there so they can save their starving businesses.

I am not beating up the area, as I have many friends from there. I am just sad that the area is yet another casualty of the drug wars. Nobody is “safe“, period. I thought Colombia was scary. The stuff going on in Mexico now, makes Cali look like a day care center.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69B6KF20101013

:love:

Presh GG
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I have spent many winters in Mexico, have many wonderful Mexican friends and I beg you don't chance dressing in public in Mexico.

I won't go into any more detail
Presh GG