PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge.........as we enter into the "Traditional Weight Gaining Season"

Pages : [1] 2

Madilyn A.
12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
:thumbsup:Now being the "lady" many of you know me to be, far be it for me to alledge anyone other than myself needs to lose weight.:eek:.... Frankly, I have to drop 20 lbs. and I have entered into a challenge with a few other of our "sisters".:thumbsup:..... Last year I dropped 55 lbs, in a few months and have recently gained back 20 lbs.:thumbsdn:...... I don't think I am the only one who rides the YO-YO.:brolleyes:...... So, since some of us have already gotten a good start on the weight gaining season:eek:, I am proposing to anyone interested to begin tomorrow or as soon as possible a weight loss regime with me. We will become our own support group. In order play, it is prudent to record you weight gain or loss each day when you first get up, prior to breakfast and coffee. The key is maintaining a log daily, then analyzing your progress.:) We can all help each other with support.:hugs: I don't care where you start, the key is how you do each day. My scale weighs in1/10 lbs, so I can usually see some movement. I have selected 20 lbs. as my target loss and my friends are probably going to go with that as well.:D.......So who's in ?? Who wants to join our small group and work towards a healthier New Year ? :D

Karren H
12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I'd love to but I'm down 10 pounds in the last 2 months and I'm a couple pounds from what I weighed when I graduated high School... 175. If I loose much more I start feeling bad and my wife yells at me. Lol. But I will support and cheer you on!! :)

Madilyn A.
12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Karren, Then being the competitor you are, you'll just have to pig out for about 2 weeks, then we'll see what you're made of !! lol !

Heather_Marie
12-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Well let's see I am looking to lose about 10 to 15 pounds I would love to join in.

Madilyn A.
12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Heather Marie, Thanks for joining our little support group to hopefully enter into the New Year a bit healthier and shapelier !!......Maddy

linnea
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Count me in, Madilyn! I definitely want to lose 20 pounds.

Madilyn A.
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Linnea, and healthier and shaplier too !! We need to have an appropriate "prize" for the winner or winners !! But seriously, if most of us do not gain and actually lose a few then we are winners, particularly this time of year.

renee k
12-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm in too! This past summer I had let my weight creep up to 185. So, I really started to watch how I ate and started to exercise more. I've since lost ten pounds and want to get down to around 150 for now. I'm 5'9" and a size 14. I Would like to drop two dress sizes.

Renee

Heather_Marie
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Linnea, and healthier and shaplier too !! We need to have an apprpriate "prize" for the winner or winners !! But seriously, if most of us do not gain and actually lose a few then we are winners, particularly this time of year.

Thank you Madilyn A, I hope to be in better shape and a little healthier, I am looking forward to having the support in this challenge I cannot wait to see how much I lose.

RachR
12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I've got a leg up, I started last Tuesday ;) I have quite a bit more to lose than 20 lbs though. Really didn't have anything to do with the season, just felt it was time to do it. This last summer I was able to lose about 14 lbs in three weeks, but I had a massive gout flare-up that kept me from being active for almost 2 months. Now, after many month and much weight gain, I'm working out 6 days a week again, and I'm not even going to worry about what the scale says. This has become more about my health than about the weight; although the two go hand-in-hand.

Since I don't feel like keeping track of numbers I guess I can't "compete," but it's always nice to have a place to "check-in" and get some motivation.

Good luck to us all,
Rachael

BRANDYJ
12-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Gee, I'd love to lose about 20 pounds. But the tining is not right for me to focus on eating less or better. Missing my SO over the holiday season puts me in a downer mood. And unfortunately, I am one of those that when down eats for comfort. Everything I like is not what you would call diet food either. But I am trying to eat less starting with my lunches. I might even start eatig breakfast too. That might curb the late day eating. Another concern of mine is my face tends to lose weight and leave skin kind of hanging in the neck area. Last time I lost weight I had a GG friend tell me to put the weight back on since losing it made me look older! Not a good thinig at my age. So I'll kind of watch what I'm eating in support of my friends here that will commit to losing that 20 pounds, Ihe heavy weight cheer leader. Anyone have a size XXL uniform for me to wear? lol Good luck to you Maddy, Danielle and all that can do it.

insearchofme
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I'll join, would love to lose 20 but will settle for 10.

Karren H
12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Karren, Then being the competitor you are, you'll just have to pig out for about 2 weeks, then we'll see what you're made of !! lol !

FINE!! I stopped at Wendy's and had a Frosty!! Happy? :D

Kelly Blaine
12-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Count me in. I got a couple of cute skirts I want to fit into.

Nicole Brown
12-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm with you also Maddy. Count me in for at least 20 pounds. I just hope that I don't loose my boobs...:D

BRANDYJ
12-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm with you also Maddy. Count me in for at least 20 pounds. I just hope that I don't loose my boobs...:D

Nicole, the last time I did a serious diet about 7 years ago, I lost 13 pounds in 19 days. I was married then and my wife walked in one morning and asked me if I was taking anything to grow breasts. Seems I lost in the stomach and love handle area and none in my chest. Even I began to wonder if by magic I was really growing breasts. They sure stuck out and without a shirt looked like women's breasts and not man boobs.

SuzanneBender
12-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Count me in. I got on the scale yesterday and it read well ummm lets just say more than I wanted it to. I am lucky I am in an environment where fast food isnt readily available and I will be able to work out a lot so losing 20 pounds shouldnt be that difficult.

Danni Bear
12-05-2010, 09:50 PM
FINE!! I stopped at Wendy's and had a Frosty!! Happy? :D

small or large? with or without fries and a burger lol

Maddie,
can't afford to lose any more weight down to 117 now. need to put on some to feel right

Danni

WandaRae2009
12-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Count me in -- I have a physical coming up & I have to lose another 20 before then, so the DR doesn't give me a hard time.

Molly Wells
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I'll join in as well! Been trying to get started to lose 35#, 20 will be a great mid point challenge. I really want to be down all my excess weight by mid summer. Want to buy some new outfits and have a transformation and photo session.

Molly

gwenbeth
12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Im trying to loose some weight myself. 20 pounds would be a good goal. I am _trying_ to cut back on the cokes, but they are free at work.

Madilyn A.
12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Thank you all for your interest in being a healthier person,as we enter into the New Year. My thoughts are we are well into the "Weight Gaining Season", then January 1st our thoughts swing towards some type of diet or exercise plan to lose the extra weight we picked up recently. So if we can focus on our weight (and health) now,we stand a much better chance of losing the desired weight. Not to mention the shaplier bodes, the better fit of our favorite clothes, and our general health.

My approach to weight loss : and like many of you I can lose it fairly easily, but somehow, it finds me later in the year, then the YO-YO begins. I have been successful in the past by keeping it simple. By now, we all know what are good foods and bad foods, which will put on weight and which are healthier. Simply eat more good foods and less bad foods. Drink less liquor or softdrinks, you all know the routine. Increase your daily physical exercise. Cut down on portions, etc, etc, etc. !!!

Now we have tons of (bad word) experts who can contibute whatever works for them, tell us what is working for you, tell us when you fell off the wagon, we all will at some point. Lets talk about our goals, for me it's reducing my dress size and getting into a few dresses and jeans I just love ! My extra 20 lbs. has made my face fatter !

I suggest we all start with today's weighing, set your weight goal, and let us all know daily or whenever how you are doing. Let's mark our weight loss in 5 lb. increments, and make sure we celebrate our success'. No need divulge your weight.

You all get the idea, so here we go on a short journey towards the New Years with a new body !!

Good luck to all................Madilyn

Madilyn A.
12-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Although this is not required and anyone who wants to share #'s can. Since it's my thread :eek:, I should probably give you mine. First I am a shade over 6'3", so I have a long body to spread my weight. I clocked in at 237 lbs. this morning. My weight goal is to a 22 lb. lose. I want to get down to 215. Last year at this time I was about 275 :eek:, long story, but meds had something to do with it. Last year I started to lose weight on Jan 1 and was down to 214 by March 1 :thumbsup:. So, I will keep you abreast of my progress. I have a number of suggestions such as use a teaspoon instead of a table spoon, eat as much cabbage, as possible, limit your portion sizes to nothing more than the palm of your hand. All really simple things that work !! I will post how I am doing tomorrow. Wish me luck, as I do you !!.........Madilyn

docrobbysherry
12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I DON'T think the Holidays is a realistic time to START weight loss programs!:brolleyes:
With all the goodies, heavy meals, snacks, etc. available soon, I plan on ADDING up to 10 pounds over the next month! And, with the freezing weather, I could USE the extra padding anyway!:heehee:

However, after New Years, I'll be READY to join u in losing the Jolly Junk Santa left me!:D

Loni
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
my Dr says i need to loose 30+ pounds..but not sure were it will come from. no girl friend or wife so that is out.
i am only 200 pounds and not skinny but not fat,
i will try to do this. but i have already had food this am, a bowl of quick oats, glass of oj and 4 slices of dry toast, even had a mourning ehm.
coffee is heating now. 207.9 this am. up a bit from last week.

should add, i am 51 and 5, 11. and take a bunch of meds daily. pain, bp, more pain, (back and arthritis). plus a handful of otc stuff.
work 12 - 14 hrs a day, very little time off, and not much time to exercise...but trying.

Nicole Erin
12-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Just do an honest assesment of what you are eating, and if it is over what you really need, just cut back.
I eat the same stuff as normal but in smaller quantities.
I also cut out 1 can of cola and quit buying a king size candy bar each day.

LAtely for me the weight has been coming off, probably I would say 3 pounds in the past two weeks.
My problem is I am lately obsessed with everything I do eat and I am always checking the scale. But for all practical purposes, 3 pound in two weeks.

ninapuella
12-06-2010, 12:06 PM
I try to add weight instead. :(

Madilyn A.
12-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Ok, we're off and running ! I have dropped 2.1 lbs as of this morning. So I am down to 234.9 lbs. Not bad for a first day but well from my desired weight of 215......... I heard from Danielle Gee this morning in a PM, she dropped 2.0 lbs....... This is far better than gaining a half to a pound a day which I have a tendancy to do during this season......Hopefully a few more of you will "weighin-in" with your comments.

Nicole Erin, I totally agree with you, less food in will cause a desired effect. Portion size and overall quanity reduction will get it done......3 lbs. per week, great job, hopefully this is a life change, not a diet.....thanxs !

Loni, Thanks for jumping on the wagon with us. It sounds like you look pretty good right now, good luck !

Gwen Beth, Thanks for joining. Free cokes, unless you work for Coca-Cola, probably something your company ought to rethink......Good luck.

Molly, thanks for your comment and good luck. Good goals !

Wanda, Don't you just hate it when your doctor tells you you are over-weight and all that implies ! You can do it !

Danni and Nina, you are lucky and we hate you !!! LOL !

Suzanne, Sounds like this should be a piece of "cake" for you then. I see you live in Kansas, no fast food there ? I lived in Shawnee for awhile and they had plenty then ?? LOL ! Anyway, we will be most interested in hearing your progress and any tips....thanxs !

Kelly, good goal, thanks for jumping on ! Let us know how you are doing.

Insearchofme, thanks, let us know how you are doing ?

Rachael, Great job, and yes it is all about health, you are so right. Weight being just an indicator and smaller sizes have more fashions to choose from. Please feel free to help us all with any comments and you can motivate all of us !!

Renee, Great goal - 2 dress sizes. thanxs and good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Linnea and Heather Marie, Keep us posted on your progress and success !!

Nicole, I know you can do it, just think all the great shopping you can do in that lovlier shaplier new body !!!

Brandy, Thanks for all the support and keep us straight and focused girlfriend !!

Karren, when you step on the scale each morning, does it say, "Karren Hutton - practically perfect in every way " ??...LOL !!

Good luck to all and please let us know often how you are doing, so we can cheer on the success' and support those who on occassion need it !!........Madilyn

Madilyn A.
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Ok, we're off and running ! I have dropped 2.1 lbs as of this morning. So I am down to 234.9 lbs. Not bad for a first day but well from my desired weight of 215......... I heard from Danielle Gee this morning in a PM, she dropped 2.0 lbs....... This is far better than gaining a half to a pound a day which I have a tendancy to do during this season......Hopefully a few more of you will "weighin-in" with your comments.

Nicole Erin, I totally agree with you, less food in will cause a desired effect. Portion size and overall quanity reduction will get it done......3 lbs. per week, great job, hopefully this is a life change, not a diet.....thanxs !

Loni, Thanks for jumping on the wagon with us. It sounds like you look pretty good right now, good luck !

Gwen Beth, Thanks for joining. Free cokes, unless you work for Coca-Cola, probably something your company ought to rethink......Good luck.

Molly, thanks for your comment and good luck. Good goals !

Wanda, Don't you just hate it when your doctor tells you you are over-weight and all that implies ! You can do it !

Danni and Nina, you are lucky and we hate you !!! LOL !

Suzanne, Sounds like this should be a piece of "cake" for you then. I see you live in Kansas, no fast food there ? I lived in Shawnee for awhile and they had plenty then ?? LOL ! Anyway, we will be most interested in hearing your progress and any tips....thanxs !

Kelly, good goal, thanks for jumping on ! Let us know how you are doing.

Insearchofme, thanks, let us know how you are doing ?

Rachael, Great job, and yes it is all about health, you are so right. Weight being just an indicator and smaller sizes have more fashions to choose from. Please feel free to help us all with any comments and you can motivate all of us !!

Renee, Great goal - 2 dress sizes. thanxs and good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Linnea and Heather Marie, Keep us posted on your progress and success !!

Nicole, I know you can do it, just think all the great shopping you can do in that lovlier shaplier new body !!!

Brandy, Thanks for all the support and keep us straight and focused girlfriend !!

Karren, when you step on the scale each morning, does it say, "Karren Hutton - practically perfect in every way " ??...LOL !!

Good luck to all and please let us know often how you are doing, so we can cheer on the success' and support those who on occassion need it !!........Madilyn

JohnH
12-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm 5'10" and weigh 192 lbs. I was down to 188 when it was warm, but the cold weather makes me want to eat more. At least I'm not at my peak weight of 240 lbs that I was a couple of years ago.

I need do lose 17 lbs and get down to 175 lbs. Looking nice in skirts and dresses is a powerful motivator to lose weight. My dog and wife don't wear those garments and they don't care that much about their weight. :heehee:

I notice that my breasts a bit more noticeable with my lower weight. I endure being teased by my wife about my "tits". "boobies", or the latest one, "chi-chi's" whenever I wear a dress with a tight fitting top. :)

RachR
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Start of week two! Yesterday was my rest day and I didn't realize how much I needed it; nice to have that day to allow my muscles to recover so I'm not sore everyday. Good workout this morning. Now to start my day with a mani/pedi, woohoo!

:hugs:
Rachael

insearchofme
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I weighted in on Monday at 236.5lbs. This morning I was 235lbs. I know that most of it is "water weight" but it is still a loss. I'm 6'2" and am fairly muscular since I strength train 3 days a week, I'm not going to change my workout schedule so I still will not lose weight for my muscle mass. I also do cardio 5-6 days a week. Since there will be no change in my claoric expendure, all my fat loss (yes I'm using the F word) will be from reduced portions and drinking more water. I did read recently that if you drink a pint of water before you eat you'll lose much more fat. So here goes (me going to the potty more often I'm sure).

Hugs,

Madilyn A.
12-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Well it seems we have a small group of girls who have jumped on the wagon to begin a journey to a leaner, shaplier, healthier life come January 1st. I hope we can get a few more on board and sincerely hope we are all as successful in hitting our goals. Dropping a dress size or two, getting into a particular dress that we have "outgrown", forgoing the Yo-Yo dieting which normally starts in January, and if nothing else; improve our health.......Good luck to all............Maddy

Danni Bear
12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Maddie,

you don't need to hate me yet. lol
the 117 is after losing from 168. and I'm only 5ft 3and 1/2 in tall. at 63 it gets harder to lose and real simple to put back on.

Danni

Madilyn A.
12-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Danni, You are to be congratulated. That's fantastic. Please share your success, how did you do it ?, what drove you ?, your goal ? You are a much heathier and happier person is my guess also.........Hugs Maddy

Danni Bear
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Maddie,

The goal was to fit in my great grandmothers wedding dress in Sept. for my remarriage to my husand. lots of exercise and four daughters and three daughters-in law working my butt off on a daily basis for eight months. changing what and how much I ate along with giving up my beloved DR. PEPPERS. no sacrifice is too great is what they kept telling me. LOL

Danni

The bad part of that was I had to get down to 95lbs to keep from having too many alterations made.at least now I'm getting back up to a sensible weight.

Rachael502
12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Hoo Boy.....here we go! I need to lose 35 lbs, and with all my sisters trying, so will I!! Keep those @#$% sweets away from me! I can do this.....I can do this.....:)

Madilyn A.
12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Rachael, Just hang in there and the 35 will be off and you will be 2 or 3 dress sizes less and healthier, and probably happier as well. Thanks for jumping on !!....Maddy

BRANDYJ
12-07-2010, 11:03 PM
OK, So I have not officially committed myself to join in. But I have started to do little things that may work for me. I have only a 30 minute lunch break and I usually go a mile up the road to the nearest Mc Donalds. My regular lunch would consist of 2 sandwiches off the dollar menu and a large drink. That is always sweet iced tea. Well last week I decided to cut back and eat only 1 sandwich and drop to a medium sized ice tea. I also mix the sweetened tea with the non-sweetened tea. So each work day I have cut maybe 333-400 calories at lunch alone. The good part is I am saving. It used to be $3.90 for the 2 sandwiches and large drink and now it's $2.62 for the 1 sandwich and the medium drink. So that's $1.28 a day I save... times a 5 day work week, equals $6.40 times a 4 week month equals a savings of $25.60. Now to reward my efforts for losing weight, I can take the lunch savings and buy a new dress or maybe new hose and heels. Yep, I guess I'm kind of sort of aboard now! I just inspired myself! lol

jennifer easton
12-07-2010, 11:32 PM
OK what do I have to sign? will a pen be OK or do you need blood, I so need this!!!! thank's for the push, just point me to the starting line, lets looose some weight!!! I'm 5'5" at 210 so have much work ahead of me I'd like to be 175 lets see what happens. Jennifer (one eyed fat girl)

Madilyn A.
12-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Ok moving in the right direction, lost 1.1 for a total of 3.3 in 2 days. That special dress is at the end of this weight loss on Jan 1, will lose 20 lbs.,,,,I hope anyway !!

Karren H
12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Ok moving in the right direction, lost 1.1 for a total of 3.3 in 2 days. That special dress is at the end of this weight loss on Jan 1, will lose 20 lbs.,,,,I hope anyway !!

I said I'd cheer so here goes!!! :D

Awesome Madilyn!!! Your go girl!!!

All this cheering is making me hungry! Since I've gotten back from the business trip my wife has been throwing food at me... But for the week so far in still down one pound... I don't think I'm going to loose much more with the holidays but if I can pop out January first without trashing my girlish figure I will be totally happy...

jennifer easton
12-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh crap!!! Hell I've gained a pound!!!weight in this morning at 211 Geeeze!!!!

Christie ann
12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd love to but I'm down 10 pounds in the last 2 months and I'm a couple pounds from what I weighed when I graduated high School... 175.

Karren, I hate you :)

Karren H
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Karren, I hate you :)

Appeared there's a line for that so you'll have to take a number. :D

insearchofme
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Weighted in this morning at 233, so that's 3.5 lbs. lost. A safe rate is 2-4 lbs a week. I figure most of that loss is water weight so I'm not worried.

docrobbysherry
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
As Karren said, congrats to all u "LOSERS"! Lol!

Here's some EXTRA motivation for u! ( Or, for ME anyway!) Pick out a special New Years dress to see in 2011 with! I have! And, if I put on too many Holiday Pounds, I won't fit into it!

suchacutie
12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Ok..let's do this!

I started at 210 pounds 4 years ago and have been trying to lose 5-10 pounds per year so I don't Yo-Yo. I have a little bit of a Thanksgiving-day bulge so this morning I weighed in at 181.

I'd be delighted to put on a little push with everyone and try to push it down to 170, since I haven't lost an ounce in the last couple of months!

My approach has been to change my eating habits. I only use a small plate and I don't refill it. I also drink a large glass of carbonated water before and one during dinner. Dinner always is a mix of at least 5 different foods, a little bit of each. I've found that keeps me interested in the food, requires that I eat it more slowly, and am quite satisfied after the meal. I have eliminated absolutely NO foods from my diet because I want to lose weight. I am completely working with quantity control, and so far it's knocked off 30 pounds with no Yo-Yo beyond 2-3 pounds when I eat a pile of salty food.

this should be fun!

tina

Madilyn A.
12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Karren, So when you step on your scale in the morning, does it really say, " Karren Hutton, practically perfect in every way " ?......BTW girlfriend, thanks for the support !!:thumbsup:

Madilyn A.
12-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Alright Jennifer, you gained a pound sooooo ! We will all have a day or two where we will gain, just jump back on the wagon again and visualize yourself in that great New Years Eve dress ! ........... I think Tina (Suchacutie) nailed it with her good eating tips....... Thanks !!

Karren H
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Karren, So when you step on your scale in the morning, does it really say, " Karren Hutton, practically perfect in every way " ?......BTW girlfriend, thanks for the support !!:thumbsup:

Right!! I wish!! I'd maybe really think that if I didn't have so many obsessions going on simultaneously! Lol. Reminds me I forgot to eat lunch! :D

SuzanneBender
12-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Madilyn,

Shawnee now has a fast food restaurant or two :). I wish I was in Kansas right now. The good news is where I am its easy to do right by this challenge. Lets just say you can't ask where I am and I can't tell you.

I weighed in on Saturday at 187. It is the most my 5'11" frame has ever weighed. Today I weighed and I am glad to report that 3.1 pounds of Suzanne has disappeared. I have been hitting the gym each day. Off days are simply a core work out and a some basketball. Heavy days are core work until muscle failure (flab failure in my case) and then at least an hour on the elliptical, treadmill and recumbent bike with a target heart rate of 70% of max.

I have always watched calorie labels and lately I have started keeping track. Its pretty funny because where I am is the center of Machoville and the guys I am here with have also picked up the habit. Its kinda funny to watch them obsess about how many calories are in 8 saltine crackers and a package of peanut butter. I am trying to eat at least two good meals a day and a snack. Last night wasn't so good I had an entire large Domino's ham and pineapple pizza, but I left 750 calories behind in the gym so I don't feel guilty. Well maybe a little but......

IamSara
12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
You can count me in also. I need to loose 30# if for no other reason then I will feel better. I am 5'9" and weigh in at a whopping 196. The only issue I see with this is it is pretty much impossible to hold a handful of beer in my hand without the glass or bottle. Hope that the bottle doesn't count. You didn't mention how tall that handful should be I don't believe.

Sarah

Madilyn A.
12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Sarah, Perhaps I should have explained better. Beer comes from the gods and as such is granted an exemption. You may use any appropriate container (quanity has no bearing ), as long as you can hold it in your hand (the palm is attached to the hand) therefore this is a legal exemption. And since most people have more than one hand you may exercise your right to be a double fisted drinker anytime the need arises....... This exemption refers to Beer and other grain and fermented liquids only !.......I'll drink to that !!!.....:drink:

msginaadoll
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Count me in as well! I am five ft 8 and weigh 183.4. I would like to lose 20 pounds as well. Currently I wear a 12-14 in dresses/skirts. Im not sure If i should have mentioned weight but hey its a fact Jack as they say in Stripes.

Madilyn A.
12-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Brandy, I didn't take into account the financial savings, thanks ! Let see 20 lbs, that about 20 cases of beer @ $25.00 per case, hey that a couple of outfits and a few pair of heels.... $$$.Cha-Ching - Cha-Ching.$$$$........Thanks Brandy !:bighug:

Madilyn A.
12-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Holding at 233.8 this morning, no gain, no loss. A handful of fries at lunch and a late night chicken wrap. Me bad !!

BRANDYJ
12-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Once again I had my now regular lunch at Micky D's. A Mc double, medium size ice tea 50/50 sweet and non-sweetened. But I added a small size Mc nuggets since they are only a dollar for 6 pieces on Wednesdays and Sundays. But then I ruined it all by making my now near famous "rice slop" Over the years it has had many different names, but my ex-wife called it rice slop and that stuck. It's browned ground beef, chopped onion, sliced mushrooms and then add a can of great northern beans. Spice it with salt, pepper, garlic...lots of garlic, oregano. Now add milk and flour to make a gravy and put over fresh white rice...walla! A feast fit for a King...or is that Queen? But I shared it with my new roommate and she loved it. So I did not eat it all as I usually do. In fact there is left-overs in the fridge.
So I need to try harder and I will...I promise.

Karren H
12-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Yesterday was a typical day.... Ate a banana for breakfast.... Got too busy at work so forgot to eat lunch and had a small bag of cheeze-ts (no sugar!!!) And for dinner I had 2 pieces of french toast and a late snack of a 100 calorie Skinny Cow chocolate ice cream bar.. Today much the same except a yogurt for lunch. And brought some soy beans to munch on. Dropped another pound to 177 this morning. :).

jennifer easton
12-09-2010, 10:16 AM
OK day 2 for Jenni, not much to report, other than at least I'm headed in the right direction,( loosing instead of gaining) lost a pound yesterday some where, I'm back to 210, Yeaaaah!

Katie Ellen
12-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Count me in. I actually started Nov. 8th after a visit to the doctor. I weighed 200 at that time. I'm 5'10" and now weigh 188. For me, the first 5-8 lbs goes fast, but it's mostly water. I bet my doctor I'd be at 170 or less by my next visit in March. I'm trying to lose 1-2 lbs per week. I don't ever want to see 190 again! Soon, it'll be 180, etc.

The keys for me so far are:

* Fast food no more than ONCE a week, if that. And if you do, don't pig out.
* Walk at least 2 miles every day. Get as much exercise as possible. It helps curb your appetite.
* Alcohol (beer) 1 night a week at most (I bowl). I only have 3 or 4 at most.
* Eat healthier food at all meals. As much fruit and vegetables as you can. Less starch.
* Drink as much water as you can.
* Avoid snacks, but don't deny yourself a slight taste once in a while. Try eating sugar free jello.
* For me, cutting carbs works best.

My goal is to get my BMI to a healthy level (25 and under). To do that I need to get down to about 173.

The holidays are tough, but I made it through Thanksgiving and actually lost 1.5 lbs. that week. I had plenty of turkey and smaller portions of everything else. The only thing I avoided was the dressing.

Good luck to everyone.

insearchofme
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I weighted in at 232.5, so that's 4 lbs lost. As I said it's mostly water but I'll take it.

Speaking of beer, Ben Franklin said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"!

Maddy, just one tip on beer. Guiness (I know it's not for everyone) has fewer calories then most beers. In fact it has only 10 more calories per volume than a Lite beer. It has less alcohol per volume than a beer. It has more antioxidents than a glass of wine. It also fills you up so it's not easy to drink more than two. So now you have it, Guiness is a health food!!!

Anything I can do to help out my beer drinking sisters!

Hugs

Jenny Gurl
12-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I am curious to those who have lost weight in the past and kept "the girls" I thought the boobs reduced at the same time as the rest of you. Did you lose lots of weight and get the benefit if keeping the girls? :D

How long is the challenge running. Are you going short term to Jan 1, or longer term?

msginaadoll
12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Went to the doctor today and he read me the riot act. My cholesterol was 254, so will be putting me on medication. Also told me ever so nicely that I needed to eat healthier.

Danni Bear
12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I am curious to those who have lost weight in the past and kept "the girls" I thought the boobs reduced at the same time as the rest of you. Did you lose lots of weight and get the benefit if keeping the girls? :D

How long is the challenge running. Are you going short term to Jan 1, or longer term?

Jenny,

Yes the girls will reduce also. The amount of reduction is dependent of the amount of fat that comprises your boobs. most can usually look for a 1 to 2 cup reduction if the weight loss is significent. A twenty to thirty pound reduction may give a reduction that can be seen but not always. Once your girls are developed they are just like any other womans, weight loss or gain shows up there just like the hips,thighs and butt. lol

Danni

MJ
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
As most of you know i lost 100 pounds to date. still have 60 pounds to go.. so might as well jump in here too, bet my endo i'll be 170 pounds by may 30 my next visit

scale reads 230 pounds according to my research my target goal should be 146 pounds @ 5'8 i need to see how i feel and look at 170 pounds

don't think theres any guy here @146 pounds lol

Danni Bear
12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
As most of you know i lost 100 pounds to date. still have 60 pounds to go.. so might as well jump in here too,

scale reads 230 pounds

Congratulations MJ, that is fantastic. :thumbsup::)

Danni

Madilyn A.
12-09-2010, 10:26 PM
My weigh in tomorrow morning ought to be interesting, this evening had 8 Lagers, split a large bag of potato chips, and some sharp provelone cheese. This will not be pretty !!

Danni Bear
12-09-2010, 10:54 PM
My weigh in tomorrow morning ought to be interesting, this evening had 8 Lagers, split a large bag of potato chips, and some sharp provelone cheese. This will not be pretty !!

Maddie,

for shame, for shame :eek: :brolleyes: and didn't even share with me :tongueout

all pain and no gain makes for a dull girl looking for treats. :devil:
tomorrow will be better :daydreaming: pounds will lose

Danni

NathalieX66
12-09-2010, 11:03 PM
today I looked at some family reunion photos of me that were taken exactly two years and two months ago, and at 5"6", 180 lbs, I look pretty chubby and out of shape. By this time last year, I was 170 lbs. Then I started walking two miles every other day, then running, and now I run 5-6 miles about 2-3 times a week, and I'm now under 145 lbs.
I'm now at the point where I don't want to lose anymore, so today I wolfed down a 1/3rd pound cheseeburger and fries, and a Coke just to compensate.

I may have the desire to look like a woman....but do I really need to look like a teenage girl? ....at my age?

No.

Jocelyn Quivers
12-10-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm in. I must at a minimum lose 6 pounds, long term goal at least 10 pounds. I'm training for this goal starting today because summer and the beach will be here soon. GAME ON!!!!

jennifer easton
12-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Goooood morning!!! down another # this morning yeaaa, 209 Jenni

Madilyn A.
12-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Only gained 1 lb. back, so back to 234.8. After over indulging as I did with company yestertday, I have to be a good girl this weekend to make get back on the losing trail again !!......... Sounds like several of us are making good progress though !!

insearchofme
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Stayed the same this morning, 232.5. That's good since last evening for dinner my wife and I were busy so we went to Quiznos. We each had a small chicken carbonarra sub and a cup of their sooup. Both were pretty salty, this adds water gain, so I am pleased with staying the same.

To those of us who are working out with strength training and live in a cold climate here's a tip. Shoveling snow can be a killer if you're not in shape. When the weather turns I incorporate a exercise into my workout which I call "shoveling snow". I grab a plate and go through the action of shoveling snow, bending, scooping, lifting and throwing it over my shoulder and repeating. You can do any type of rep/weight combination. I am doing 3 sets of 10 reps (10 each side) with 25 lbs. with 1 minute rest btween sets. I am gong to increase weight and reps next week. This is almost a total body exercise, it hit the calves, quads, some hamstring, hips, abs, tris, bis, shoulders and your grip. Today for my workout I did some chest then did the rest of the workout doing shoveling snow. I did sets of 10 increasing the weight from 10 lb. plates working up to a 45 lb. plate. Total was nine sets of 20 (10 each side) for a total of 180 reps. When I was done I was gassed.

If I keep doing this it will probably keep the snow away and I won't have to shovel, lol. Hope this helps someone.

Hugs,

Madilyn A.
12-10-2010, 06:57 PM
MJ, you are an inspiration. Keep focused on your goals..........At some point we should add up all the dropped pounds by all the girls posting here. I'm guessing it will be a substancial amount.........any guesses ??

Karren H
12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I took the day off today to help the wife around the house and she got up early and served me breakfast in bed... 2 monster cinnamon rolls!! :):):). So life is good and I feel fatter but don't care today! Lol.

docrobbysherry
12-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Does "positive thinking" cause u lose pounds?

I've been worrying about the Holiday Pig Out coming soon! So, I decided to get rid of the damaging stuff in our frig well before then. First, I finished off the last of a roast before it went bad. There was A LOT MORE THERE THAN I THOT! Skipped the veggies, fruit, and salad entirely! Went straight for the last of the left over mini muffins and ice cream!
Needless to say, I was a bit intimidated stepping on the scale this morning.

Turns out I dropped over a pound! What's up with THAT!?

MJ
12-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Does "positive thinking" cause u lose pounds?

I've been worrying about the Holiday Pig Out coming soon! So, I decided to get rid of the damaging stuff in our frig well before then. First, I finished off the last of a roast before it went bad. There was A LOT MORE THERE THAN I THOT! Skipped the veggies, fruit, and salad entirely! Went straight for the last of the left over mini muffins and ice cream!
Needless to say, I was a bit intimidated stepping on the scale this morning.

Turns out I dropped over a pound! What's up with THAT!?

Thats so not fair Doc :tongueout

Danielle Gee
12-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Hi Maddy: Count me in the gang also. I'd like to weigh around 185 - 190 on my 5'10' frame. When you first PM'd me about your idea, I weighed 225-226# (up from 204#). But I'm trying again and have lost 4# to 222 ths week.

Danielle

Aleca
12-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Indeed for me this time of year is a huge challenge, I usually can end up gaining 3-4 lbs. of weight as my wife is huge into food, cooking, parties, etc... I have to stay as vigilant as I can and exercise. My reward could come next weekend with space as my wife is out of town for the holiday and the opportunity to dress up 24/7 for two weeks.

mmandy31
12-11-2010, 08:02 AM
i have defently lost 20 lbs in the last couple of months
i was 235 and today i got on the scales and i am at 214 and hope to lose another 10 to 15 lbs
i got the well power not to eat any christmas junk so far

Madilyn A.
12-11-2010, 08:10 AM
So many great suggestions, stories and inspirations..........For me dropping weight much more slowly this time, started on Monday at 237 lbs on my 6'3" frame, and this morning only down to 234.8 lbs. It does seem this time of year is a bit more difficult to lose weight than is January and February. The upside is I expect to be some 10 lbs. to 20 lbs. less than I would have been if I had continued my normal holiday binge, then dieted in January............Yesterday, had fries, bad !!!

morgan51
12-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Count me in I found this thread today and it appeals to me! I am 226# this am would like to get below 200. I have been swimming for a halfhour each weekday morning. Was walking untill it got too cold and windy here. I am eating lo-carb and have gone from 288# to where I am now it seems to come off a lot more slowly now. I swear the moderate exercise has added muscle and some #'s. Portion control for me is probably the answer. I will start weighing my meals again and see what happens . Morgan

Madilyn A.
12-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Mandy, Congrats ! Any other tips ? Yours is a success story. Thanks,, and Good luck !!

cindychan
12-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Count me in as well. I need to shed 20-30 pounds. I'm hoping in a couple months I can achieve it. What's killing me is sugar consumption (sweets), and irregular exercise. I would really like to get down to a size 14. I weigh about 214lbs fully clothed so there is much work to do.

insearchofme
12-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I was the same this morning as yeaterday which is ok. Wife and I are going to go to an annual Christmas party tonight. Wish me luck, there's always lots of drink and awesome food. We're eating a more substancial lunch later this afternoon so as to fill us up before we go. I'm gong to limit myself to 2 glasses of wine and am going to stay away from the mixed nuts, they are my downfall. Once I start I can't stop and this carries over to other foods. Of course all my good intensions may go by the wayside since I LOVE TO EAT!

Hugs,

jennifer easton
12-11-2010, 11:28 AM
geeeze Louise, gained 2# back to 210!!!!!! I'm spin'n my wheels here!!! Jenni

Madilyn A.
12-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Too much fun this time of year !! Already off the wagon today and I'm hardly started !! Help !!!

Tranny Tee
12-11-2010, 06:20 PM
My goal for the next year is to lose 100 pounds. I am tired of being grossly overweight. I'll start the diet as soon as I finish this pizza.

Heather_Marie
12-11-2010, 06:36 PM
O.K. I should let everyone know where I am at I started on Monday December 6th at 174.6 and today December 11th am at 173.6 a pound less of me and the first pound of many to come. I do not want to rub it in but I wanted to let everyone know my frame I'm 5'10" and now 173.6. So does this put me in the world of Karren? I just want to lose my belly and be in better shape.

Too much fun this time of year !! Already off the wagon today and I'm hardly started !! Help !!!

Hang in there Madilyn it is only one day and Tranny Tee I know you can do it just take it one day at a time and in no time you will be 100 pounds lighter.

Danielle Gee
12-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi Folks: My Sweetie and I went Xmas shopping al day yesterday with my Grand daughter. At a conservative estimate, we walked approx 350 miles.

I ended the day at a pub (of course), and had one 32oz Guiness Ale, 1/2 order of onion rings, and a cheese burger. I weighed 221# this AM

Danielle

jennifer easton
12-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Geeeeeze, I'm do'n the yoyo thing here I'm down a pound 209 must a had something to do with the Vodka and Cranberry drinky-poos last night, Jennifer

Jonelle
12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm in, for 22 lbs.. that will bring it to 175 like karen!! :-D this is going to be fantastic, with a whole group of support!! what a great idea!!

insearchofme
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
The party last night was great, as usual. As far as the diet went let's say I ate and drank more than I should have, but less than I usually do. I started at 236.5 lds. and this morning i weighted in at 237lbs. I'm not too worried about it becasue most of it is water "junk" wieght. The real test will be Tuesday morning, hopefully by then I'll have flushed most of the water from my system.

Hugs,

PS . Jonelle, great legs!!!!

BRANDYJ
12-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Just a thought. For those of us that can stand to lose 20 or more pounds, I think we should set our goals lower then the ultimate target goal. Example: If I need or want to lose 40 pounds total, why not set a short range goal of 5 pounds. That way when you have reached that short range goal, you will feel good about your progress and want to set a new goal of another 5 pounds and so on. But if we set the goal of 40 pounds and back slide, we might feel discouraged and give up. I used to use this method on my golf students when teaching golf. Let's say their average score was 100. Sure they'd like to shoot a par round. But that does not happen overnight. So I'd ask them to set a goal of just beating there lowest ever round. Maybe that was 95. So if they work to improve and go out and shoot a 94 or even a little better, then they are inspired to work harder. Then set a new goal, like breaking 90 for the first time. But to set a goal of shooting par, say 72 on the average course, then they become discouraged and feel like a failure in golf.
So my goal is set to just be a few pounds lighter this week over last. And then my next goal will be the same, lose a few pounds the next week, if I successfully lose that few extra pounds. If we set our goals to high, it is easy to get down for not getting there soon enough. Baby steps to the ultimate goal.

makin' it real
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Okay, count me in too. Hope I'm not too late to the party! The pictures below are what made me start on a diet for the first time in my life. So at 50 years old I went hiking in Yosemite with these two tall skinny friends who are both under 30. We did a minor hike the first day, then the second day hiked up to some waterfalls. It was only 2 miles each way, but straight uphill, and I was done. Literally.

I couldn't even walk the next day, leaving them to wander off without me. I felt bad about not being able to keep up, having always been in better than average in physical shape (at least prior to returning to school 8 years ago). I'd made some (only slightly) joking comments to them about feeling fat, but when I got home and saw these pictures, I realized it wasn't a joke!

That's when I determined to lose weight and get into shape, preferably girly shape, but still. So first thing I did is buy a scale off Craigslist. When I got it home I realized it was broken, cuz when I stood on it it said some outrageous number that was 30 pounds more than I knew I weighed. Still, just to verify, I had a friend stand on it too. The lying bast@#d said it was weighing okay for him.

Okay, so it had been 6 years since I'd weighed myself. I was 165# then and thought I was 10# overweight. At the start of October I weighed 192.5 when I started on a diet, and this morning I was down to 173.0. I'd like to get down to 160.0 and see how I feel.

Thanks for getting this thread going, and I look forward to keeping up with you all.

Karren H
12-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I know those cinnamon rolls were killers but I'm having a salad for dinner and going off to play ice hockey for a couple hours so I figure in the morning I will be at least net zero for the long weekend!!!

insearchofme
12-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Karren

As much as I love you , you know that right now I hate you!

Big Hugs,

Madilyn A.
12-12-2010, 10:02 PM
234.9 this morning, so still down from 237, but slipped a bit. After a weekend of revelry, time to get serious. I have read many great suggestions and tips. Now it's up to me, I will be under 230 by Friday, I promise !!

NathalieX66
12-12-2010, 10:04 PM
life is gud. :)

PretzelGirl
12-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Wow, just saw this thread for the first time and it will get long. I have already started a small effort with a goal of 10 pounds list by Diva Las Vegas (April). So I will become a sideline cheerleader instead because I know you can all do it. And gain prevention during the holidays so you can lose some after isn't a bad goal either. Now find a dress one size too small and hang it on the wall as incentive! :cheer:

JohnH
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Now find a dress one size too small and hang it on the wall as incentive! :cheer:

I have a nice cute blue dress that is too small for me. So I need to drop another 15 lbs.

My wife makes fun of me that I am loosing weight so I can have a girlish figure and fit into my dresses.

John

Danielle Gee
12-13-2010, 06:05 AM
Hi Maddy: It's Monday 12/13 @ 6am. I was a bad girl this weekend and my weight held steady@ 224#. I promise to make a real effeort this week an my goal is 220-221 my this time next Monday (12/22). BTW, in case I haven't said this is a great post!!

Danielle

BRANDYJ
12-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Well you know what they say Danielle...Bad girls have more fun! lol I have been kind of watching what I eat but being off yesterday Maybe I was bad too. I ate 2 Bologna and cheese sandwiches for lunch and being lazy, had 2 more for dinner. Then indulged in some peanut butter and crackers for a snack. Not good. sigh...

melissacd
12-13-2010, 07:58 AM
This is the perfect time to start, if you can manage a weight loss through this time of year then you will make it through any time of year :) I have already lost 20+ lbs since Sept and plan to lose another 10-15, I am in.

Madilyn A.
12-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Me bad again !!...236 up 1.2 lbs. from last weigh in. The net result was a 1 lb. loss last week. Got to get serious. Saw Dr. Oz. today on theTODAY show, he suggested to not only record your weight daily, but what you eat.....Good Idea !!!!

Karren H
12-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Even after playing hockey last night (we won 5-2 :) ) I gained a pound to 179... So back on track... Banana for breakfast.... Yogurt for lunch.... Shovel some snow tonight for exercise..

s. Saw Dr. Oz. today on the TODAY show, he suggested to not only record your weight daily, !!

I can't do that... If I don't step on the scale every morning I feel like I'm flying blind.... Not knowing if I can eat a lot or a little. Lol. Just one of my many obsessions of the day.

Madilyn A.
12-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Karren, It must be the hockey that's causing the gain. Make sure to take your skates off next time before you hit the scales....LOL !!

jennifer easton
12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Well alrightie girls, I managed to stay level this weekend, this morning's weight in is 208. I do need to get serious and start some exercises all I'm doing is just portion control and this is why I'm not getting any where with this great opportunity, theres nothing better than peer presser, and support from your friends to help us get over our hump's and lump's ( yes a pun was intended ha! ha!) Jenni

gwenbeth
12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
So far I'm down 2lbs this week! And that was with all the bad food from the weekend.

Madilyn A.
12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe we ought to post those bad things we consume as well. Thanks for the idea Brandy !! Yesterday, and this is terrible I know, and will definitely do better this week however yesterday: went to the mall with my wife, she shopped I went to a sports bar, had 4 Bud Lights (notice Light beer), split a bowl of potato soup, later a prosuitto (italian ham) and provolone cheese sandwich, about 1/4 can of mixed nuts, 5 Rolling Rock Pony bottles, (pony bottles, a girl needs to watch her weight after all ) and a pasta dinner with 5 meatballs and sausage. Now all that and picked up 1.1 lbs for the day........This week get serious and drop at least 5 lbs.......Wish me luck !!

BRANDYJ
12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Maybe we ought to post those bad things we consume as well. Thanks for the idea Brandy !! Yesterday, and this is terrible I know, and will definitely do better this week however yesterday: went to the mall with my wife, she shopped I went to a sports bar, had 4 Bud Lights (notice Light beer), split a bowl of potato soup, later a prosuitto (italian ham) and provolone cheese sandwich, about 1/4 can of mixed nuts, 5 Rolling Rock Pony bottles, (pony bottles, a girl needs to watch her weight after all ) and a pasta dinner with 5 meatballs and sausage. Now all that and picked up 1.1 lbs for the day........This week get serious and drop at least 5 lbs.......Wish me luck !!

Now I am glad I can't drink more then 2 beers before it makes me feel bloated and before they no longer taste good to me. Odd, if I am hot from either hard outside work or a round of golf, I love a cold beer. Then a second one. But after 2, they just don't taste as good and if I am still thirsty, I switch to Jack and coke or rum and coke. But only while with the guys I played that round of golf with. Not after working outside. Now Madilyn, if you consumed just the mixed nuts, one beer...um, OK 2 beers, the prosciutti, provolone, meatballs and the sausage, you would have been OK. It's that pasta and the bread that gotcha. All carbs in anything made with white flour. Bad girl! But look who's talkin'! lol

gwenbeth
12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Maybe we ought to post those bad things we consume as well.
Ok ok...
Wed. Pizza and 1/2 a coke
Fri. Fried chicken
Sat. double meat wataburger and sweet tea
Sun. Cake Balls. Crab (its the butter that kills you)

Now I feel like I should walk a couple of laps around the building

IamSara
12-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Good luck Madilyn,
I am working hard at it but looks like I will be struggling to loose any this week.

Sarah

insearchofme
12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Can't list all the bad things I ate at the Christmas party Saturday night, too many. As I said on Sunday I weighted in at 237lbs. up 1/2 lb from my starting weight. Today I weighted in at 234, all water weight, but only 1 1/2 lb from my weight Saturday morning. Yesterday my wife's pastor and wife had their Holiday open house and I only drank water, knd of proud of myself. We'll see what tomprrow brings, didn't workout today. Have the beginning of a cold so no cardio or strength training. Just some easy snow shoveling.

makin' it real
12-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I've heard from numerous gg friends who say to NOT weigh ourselves every day, but that just doesn't make sense to me. After 2 1/2 months it still amazes me to see a gain of 2 pounds the morning after eating pizza.

My sister is a dyed in the wool diet nerd. She says if you limit your foods to just vegetables, nuts, and small portions of meat, that you can eat as much as you want and still not gain weight. Have any of you heard that as well?

Oh, and I'm at the same 173 today as a week ago. Darn pizza sure tasted good though. :doh:

LilSissyStevie
12-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Ok, I'm in. I started dieting three days ago but it wasn't until today that I got up the nerve to measure myself. I haven't weighed myself yet and I don't think I will. I was shocked to see how much I have gained over the last couple of years. Years ago I got up to 230 and then got back down to 170-180 with a low carb diet and stayed there for a loooong time. I've probably gained half that back. I moved a couple of years ago and my discipline went all to hell as a result of the moving chaos and I never got back on track. I get plenty of exercise working on the farm and exercise makes me hungry. Low carb/ low cal works for me. I track my food intake and calories at http://fitday.com/.

Madilyn A.
12-14-2010, 07:47 AM
.......... Low carb/ low cal works for me. I track my food intake and calories at http://fitday.com/.

Yesterday, another step in the right direction, lost 1/2 lb. only; looking forward to a good week........Lots of great suggestions, need to check out fitday.com, sounds like what I need to keep focused.

insearchofme
12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
This morning I was 232, so after 8 days I've lost 4.5 lbs total. Losing 2-4 lbs a week is healthy so i guess I'm healthy, except for a bit of a cold. Of course if I hadn't over indulged Saturday night I'd have lost more. But you know, I had a great time so it was worth it!

JohnH
12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Weight myself this morning - a disgusting 195 lbs. I have gained 7 lbs. since this past summer. Now I have to drop 20 lbs.

John

Madilyn A.
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM
The website www.fitday.com is user friendly and also very informative. Based on everything I consumed today, I have the following totals. Included were 3 small slices of pizza and 1.5 large soft pretzels. The rest was all healthy however.

Total 2,284 calories, 94.9 grams. fat, 273.5 grams. carbs., 85.7 grams protein

According to my age, height and weight and general activity level I need to consume no more than about 2,100 calories to lose weight.......Some of you may find this site of interest in you quest towards weight lose and better health !

Madilyn A.
12-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Today down 1.3 from yesterday. Need this loss daily to be at my goal....Help !!!

insearchofme
12-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Down to 231, slowly but surely.

makin' it real
12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I guess I'm healthy, except for a bit of a cold.

Down to 231, slowly but surely.

Well Dana, That cold seems to be working for you. Hope you get to feeling better soon though. It's not worth a cold to lose weight. After a seriously stressful interaction with a coworker, I lost 3 pounds in a single day. Again, not worth it! :eek:

Today down 1.3 from yesterday. Need this loss daily to be at my goal....Help !!!

Hey Madilyn, congratulations! Are you exercising as well? I've been stuck at 173 for a week now. A gg friend says I've lost all the easy weight, now I have to work for the rest. I'm hoping for other options. What approach are you using?

Madilyn A.
12-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Progress today, down 2.7 from yesterday, first interim goal only 2 lbs. away. Thanks again to Lilsissystevie for the www.fitday.com tip. I consumed fewer carbs, and calories yesterday, and knew how I was doing as a result of fitday.com. Interestingly, I was able to consume some "goodies", and still stay nurished and satisfied.......So how is eveyone doing so far ? :cheer:

BRANDYJ
12-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I think I already posted about how I lost 13 pounds in 10 days on the Atkins diet about 7 years ago. much pro and con about the Atkins diet available to read. But I discovered something when I was doing it. Since I was not eating anything with carbs, I discovered that I was not hungry as when I ate portions of carb heavy foods. And example of what I ate is 6 eggs, and a 1/2 pound of ground beef. It broke a habit of always getting seconds for dinner. I might also have chocolate pudding (sugar free) made with half and half, topped with lots of whipped cream. For lunch (when I ate it) I'd have a whole roasted chicken sold at a local grocery store. Basically I lived on chicken, beef and eggs. If i had any vegetables it would be broccoli since it is very low in carbs as is any green leafy veggies are. It got boring, but like I said, I was never hungry. While I was doing this I saw a report on tv that said they discovered a part of the brain that reacts to carbs. Basically it said that gland or whatever it was turned on and made you want more carbs the more you ate. They said there is something to the Lays potato chip line that says " BET YOU CAN'T EAT ONE" So that explained why I never had my usual seconds and was never feeling hungry.
The only bad thing about the Atkins diet is it cost me my gall bladder. Not good. But my cholesterol was never better.
Atkins was right about some things. Carbs turn into glucose in the body, and what is not used is stored in your fat cells. Fat does not make you fat, but glucose does. He pointed out that since the grocery store shelves began lining their shelves with no fat and low fat items, the American public's average weight went up 9 pounds in a period of several years after the start of the low fat/no fat foods became available. And the rise in diabetes is also a result of the same.
White flour is one of the culprits. so if you cut out or way down on things like white bread, cake and other things made with white flour, you are doing yourself a favor.
So based on this I try to watch carbs, not calories or fat content. That is other then saturated fats, the really bad thing. Also stay away from anything made with corn syrup.
Just my two cents.

Maria_1969
12-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Not so good... At 5'7" I weigh in at a stocky 201lbs and not going up or down. However, my SO gave me some incentive as she is at 5'8" and 145lbs and a size 8-10 that is I can lose enough weight, forget just sharing our skirts and pantyhose but I may be able to fit into her dresses.... Has me thinking that losing weight will SAVE me LOTS of money on clothing. :-)

MJ
12-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Bad girl this week up 4 pounds 234 i shall double my effort this week

insearchofme
12-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Makin it real and fellow weight watchers,

I have just a touch of a cold. At the first sign of a cold I take Zicam and Echinaeca, these build up your immune system and I really feel pretty good. Shoveled snow for about an hour today and no problems.

Weight 230 this morning before shoveling.

Since we are giving tips please allow me to do so also. Just so you know I know a lot about losing weight. I used to be a high school and college wresting coach and I taught health classes including Diet and Exercise. Here is a good exercise tip fro burning calories. Go out in the cold and walk, no need for heavy exercise. When you are cold the body uses up calories to produce heat. The night before tournaments we would weight in and if one of my wrestlers wasn't on weight, we'd go out in the cold and walk for about an hour, this was less hard on the body than running around in a sweat suit like so many wrestlers did. We never had any one miss weight.

Another tip is water! Most of us don't drink enough water and it is important to drink a lot of it when we are trying to lose weight. Think of it as flushing out the system. I think that most of my wieght loss is because I am drinking a lot of water durning the day. I read a study the other day saying that in a research project people on a diet lost 14-15 lbs more ,on average, than a control group, when they drank a pint (16 oz) of water before meals. Another tip is that if you want to speed you metabolism up (you do on a diet) drink 16 oz COLD water as soon as you get up. this will kick up the metabolism. I have a hard time with this because I don't like cold stuff when I get up in the morning. Give me HOT COFFEE!

Another thing to remember when you are getting close to your target weight. Often times your weight loss slows down, especially if you are doing any type of exercise. One of the reasons for this is that you are no longer carrying around so much extra weight. Just carrying aorund that weight burns calories. So when you don't have it any more your body doesn't burn as many calories as it did when you started. To counter act this you can do a bit more exercise especially resistance training. This makes your muscles bigger and that helps you burn calories even at rest.

Please forgive me if I sound like I am preaching to you. Once a coach and teacher always a coach and teacher. Except now I'm prettier!

Madilyn A.
12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Dana, Great tips. Drinking large quantities of water before meals and walking in the cold weather. I can do those..........:thumbsup:

Brandi, Thanks for the advise. You are so right when you speak of carbs. The more you eat the more you require to satisfy your hunger.:thumbsup:

Holiday party tonight, open bar, can I maintain 232 for the morning weigh in ??:drink:

Danielle Gee
12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi All: Lots of "carry in" dinners at work this season. I weighed 224# this AM (about the same)

Danielle

makin' it real
12-17-2010, 12:08 AM
So how is eveyone doing so far ? :cheer:

Stayed at the 173 mark this morning, darn it all! Still, I'm pretty sure I'm actually losing muscle mass though, because my hips and breasts have been getting bigger while my weight has stayed the same. I know my arms and mid thighs look much slimmer, and my waist is starting to tuck in. YAY!

I think I already posted about how I lost 13 pounds in 10 days on the Atkins diet about 7 years ago. much pro and con about the Atkins diet available to read.

Yeah, I kick-started my weight loss program a couple months ago using Atkins and lost 11.5 pounds in 2 weeks. I've stayed with mostly meats and veggies since then, but not exclusively. I read a couple reports about a large-scale study released recently that looked at the people's ability to keep weight off after a low-cal diet when they followed 5 different diet plans: low-cal, low-carb, veggie, etc. Far and away the most effective plan was meats and veggies, just like Atkins recommended. But of course the study authors were adamant that this meats and veggies, no carb diet was not an Atkins diet! I guess that menu is just too threatening to corporate muckety-mucks.

The only bad thing about the Atkins diet is it cost me my gall bladder. Not good. But my cholesterol was never better.

Sorry you lost your gallbladder. My sister told me to try a gallbladder cleanse using an apple juice fast followed by olive oil http://www.cleansingorsurgery.com/cleansingorsurgeryinfo.htm because I'd had about 3 decades of horrible eating habits. I tried it. Not only did I lose some weight, on the fourth day I passed a small mountain of green marbles (gallstones) without any pain whatsoever. Shocked the heck out of me. If you know anyone else with gallbladder or gallstone problems, you might suggest they give this a try first. Several days of apple juice isn't likely to hurt them.

Since we are giving tips please allow me to do so also. Just so you know I know a lot about losing weight. I used to be a high school and college wresting coach and I taught health classes including Diet and Exercise. Here is a good exercise tip fro burning calories. Go out in the cold and walk, no need for heavy exercise. When you are cold the body uses up calories to produce heat. The night before tournaments we would weight in and if one of my wrestlers wasn't on weight, we'd go out in the cold and walk for about an hour, this was less hard on the body than running around in a sweat suit like so many wrestlers did. We never had any one miss weight.

Another tip is water! Most of us don't drink enough water and it is important to drink a lot of it when we are trying to lose weight. Think of it as flushing out the system. I think that most of my wieght loss is because I am drinking a lot of water durning the day. I read a study the other day saying that in a research project people on a diet lost 14-15 lbs more ,on average, than a control group, when they drank a pint (16 oz) of water before meals. Another tip is that if you want to speed you metabolism up (you do on a diet) drink 16 oz COLD water as soon as you get up. this will kick up the metabolism. I have a hard time with this because I don't like cold stuff when I get up in the morning. Give me HOT COFFEE!

Another thing to remember when you are getting close to your target weight. Often times your weight loss slows down, especially if you are doing any type of exercise. One of the reasons for this is that you are no longer carrying around so much extra weight. Just carrying aorund that weight burns calories. So when you don't have it any more your body doesn't burn as many calories as it did when you started. To counter act this you can do a bit more exercise especially resistance training. This makes your muscles bigger and that helps you burn calories even at rest.

Please forgive me if I sound like I am preaching to you. Once a coach and teacher always a coach and teacher. Except now I'm prettier!

Thanks Dana. I drank a big glass of water right after reading your post :drink:, now I'm going outside for another good walk in the cold night air.

I really appreciate all the tips and suggestions from everybody here. It helps to have people to talk with about this. Thanks! :hugs::love:

Rachel

Jocelyn Quivers
12-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I DID IT!!! Weighed myself yesterday and those 6 pounds are gone and I'm down to my "fighting weight". Now time to go to a buffet to make sure I don't plateau and give me continued incintive to stay on track with the progam.

insearchofme
12-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Jocelyn,

Congrats on losing those 6 lbs. the last few are the most difficult! Lost a 1/2 lbs so now I'm at 229.5, first time on a while since I'm under 230. Eating at a Mexican restaurant tonight so I'll have to be very careful since I love Mexican, and Italian, and Greman, and French, and Middle Eastern, and Greek, and Sea Food, and junk food, you get my point! LOL! Have a great skinny weekend!

Jocelyn Quivers
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks, I have faith that you will resist the fattening food tonight. :thumbsup:

PretzelGirl
12-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Congrats Jocelyn!

As I have said before, I am an incessant calorie counter. But an example of how weighing yourself is a crap shoot. My start weight was 172. After a week of a 600 calorie a day shortfall, I weighed in at 173. Turned around and weighed myself 2 days later (I rarely do this because of weight changes) and I was 170. So if you have small increases, don't get discouraged unless it is a trend.

And watch those candy canes everyone!

insearchofme
12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
The Mexican food didn't hurt me at all, even the Negra Modello, beer. I stayed away from the tortilla chips and only ate 1/2 half of my meal. I immerdiately split in half and asked for a take home box. This took the full meal out of my sight. Must have worked I weighted in at 228.5.

Jonelle
12-18-2010, 09:48 PM
so i have been attacking this goal with portion control.. making each meal just a little bit smaller than i used to eat.. 3 lbs down, 19 to go.. :)

BLUE ORCHID
12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Madilyn, With the chocolate cookies and failing will power I'll be lucky to hold
onto my 222# down from 242# in Augaust would like to get below 110#.

Orchid

Heather_Marie
12-19-2010, 08:51 AM
O.K. here is my update so far I started at 174.6 on December 6th and now I am at 172.4 On December 19th a total of 2.2 lost so far. I have been watching what I have been eating mostly fruits and vegetables with some chicken and meat.
Now on to a personal challenge not that this is a personal challenge but one that got my head into the game it was from (and everyone knows the great person Karren Hutton) and it was a comment she posted on the following thread (What’s your size). Ok I know my dress size is large but I do not the number yet and everything else is a large in my wardrobe but what I saw on Karrens posts really started to make me think about my figure and what I want it to be this was the quote that Karren posted.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?145261-What-s-your-size
US.... Dresses - 10 - 12 Skirts - 8 - 10...
US....
Dresses - 10 - 12
Skirts - 8 - 10
Slacks (not jeans) - 8 - 10
Tops - womens mediium - large
Shoes - 10 - 11
I'm 5' 9"... 178 pounds... 30" waist... 28" with corset.... 38C bra....

Now to tell you more about what I’m going to do. When I was in High School I weighed 95 to 100 pounds (U.S.) and I am 5’ 10” and I had a waist of 28” to 30” with a bra size now of 38C. Thanks to Karren for her post sharing her information about her size I am now going to get back my waist of at least 30” right now it is at 33”. 3” inches to go and to let you know when something gets my fire going I really get into it and get it done so watch out Karren I am after you Lol, your post has really kicked my but into gear to lose weight thank you for posting your size Karren.

Madilyn A.
12-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone, Well after three days of parties at the club, :drink: taking my son and his sweetie to dinner,:drink: and a family party, I have managed to go from 237 down to 232, and as of this morning 236.8. :thumbsdn: Although I am dissapointed in myself for falling off the wagon, I take solice in the fact that had I not been somewhat conscious of my challenge I would now be north of 245. :thumbsup: So I need to get this 6'3" frame headed back to my interim goal of 230, then 220 and down till I can get into one particular size 12 dress. :daydreaming: I actually could wear this about 10 years ago, so I'm going for it. Definitely will post photos then. Right now I have given myself a self imposed restriction on photos till 230 or below. Please wish me luck............BTW, there are some real success stories here, so keep them coming as inspiration to all of us ! :)

Heather_Marie
12-19-2010, 09:55 AM
I just wanted to tell Madilyn and everyone else know no matter what we lose we are on the right tract it does take time to lose weight it took awhile to get the weight so it's going to take a while to lose it. No matter what we lose we have lost, let's keep our eye on the prize (A smaller dress size) I know everyone can do it.

Jonianne
12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
At 5'6" and 223.4# this morning, I sure need to lose.

My Type II diabeties went away the last time I got down to 180 or so. I hav'nt been back to the doctor since I have gained so much back, so I would love to get serious about the process for my health as well as fitting back into all my dresses again.
I would love to get back to 140# when I was roller figure skating, but 150 or even 160 looks really good now.

Thanks for the thread.

insearchofme
12-19-2010, 10:29 AM
To all, keep up the good work. Just as Maddy said, no matter how much you'd lost or not, if it weren't for this we'd all weight more than we do now. I stayed the same 228.5. So I've lost 8 lbs in 12 days. I am pleased with this because of my cold I haven't done any cardio workouts for 8 days. So I've actually lost weight and not by working out. I did start working out this morning on the staionary bike for 50 minutes. It felt good but I didn't workout too hard.

So hopefully this will get my metabolism kick started and I'll keep dropping. Keep being careful with our food choices and if you see something you want to eat, go ahead and enjoy it. Just take a smaller portion! What the heck, it' the Holidays!

makin' it real
12-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Well here's another success story. I lost another 4 pounds in the past 3 days by upping my water intake significantly, going for 2 half-hour walks a day instead of one, and slightly reducing my food intake a bit further than usual. I'm down to 169 now from 192.5 at the beginning of October. Only 9 more pounds to get to my goal! Woohoo!

Madilyn A.
12-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Much congrats to Dana and Jocelyn. There have been several postings of successes, please keep them coming as they serve as great inspiration for all !!!

BLUE ORCHID
12-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Madilyn, Just a side note today I was in the CVS drugstore and I seen
that they had glass digital scales reg. $20.00 on sale for $10.00 .

Orchid

Danielle Gee
12-20-2010, 03:44 AM
Hi All: In spite of annother "carry-in"" brunch @ work Saturday I managed to hit 222 this am!!!. Thaks Maddy for gtting the ball rollong on this group diet.

Danielle

jennifer easton
12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Gooood morning! I've given the weigh in thing a rest for 4 days and YEAAA! it worked I'm down to 205, I think thats 5# in a week, maybe there is some thing to the don't weigh every day trick, now for the hard part keep it off!!! good luck to every one in the challenge, see ya in 4 to 5 days Jenni P.S. I just looked to see when I came on board and it has been two week for me to lose the 5# but still I'm 5 pounds lighter

insearchofme
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Staying the same, 228.5.

docrobbysherry
12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I put on 3 pounds this morning! Because we had our FIRST Xmas dinner yesterday! Just as I expected!

The next Xmas dinner isn't until Sat., but I'll be staying with relatives the three day BEFORE then! So, 3 more pounds this week, and 3 more on Sat! OMG! Looks like I'm going to go OVER the 10 pounds I EXPECTED to put on! EEK!

We've still got a third Xmas dinner next week at my sisters and I USUALLY put on a couple pounds watching the games New Years day! Looks like it'll HAVE to be celery, carrot sticks, ice tea, and soup New Years, instead of chips, dip, hot dogs, and cervezas!

As it is, it'll take me over a MONTH to drop just 10 pounds! Oh well! Those tite gowns in the closet will just have to wait until Easter, I guess! SIGH!

Hope u all will do better than I!

Andrea's Lynne
12-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Great thread!!! I haven't read all the posts, but am definitely interested in losing 15 - 20 lbs. Just noticed this morning that my scale scolded me at 198 .... ugh!!!!

gwenbeth
12-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Well this week I have managed to weigh in at 209! And that was even after a xmas dinner at my parents. I tried to eat more of the veggies and less of the potatoes and rice. It is going to be hard the next few weeks with Christmas and a lot of traveling, but I think if I can keep away from the sweet stuff, i might be able to hold off any gain.

CindyT
12-21-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm In! But... I'm not starting till Jan 1st. I'm at a whopping 233 lbs! An all time high for me! I've outgrown most all my female AND male clothes! I look like I'm in my 2nd to 3rd tri-mester!!! My plan is less alcohol and to run/walk at least 2 miles per day beginning on the 1st.. I'm here for you all!!!

Heather_Marie
12-21-2010, 08:41 AM
It sounds like we have some good things going on in this thread welcome aboard Andrea's Lynne and CindyT it's great to have you in the Challenge I know we can all do it. I know it's a hard thing to get into but remember a habit is made in 30 days and once it's a habit it stays with us. Today I come in at 172.0 even so that makes 2.6 lost so far.

insearchofme
12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Weighted in today at 228 again.

It seems that I am on the dreaded "Plateau"! Some may not know the term, it's when you get to a point where you not losing even though you are still trying to. This is the most difficult part of losing weight. Intellectually I know that this happens. Your body is still adjusting to your weight loss, you are still exercising but now that you've lost some weight it takes more exercise since you're not carrying around your starting weight. Maybe the foods you're eating are causing you to retain water, maybe you're starting to develop more muscle mass (muscle weights more than fat). However, emotionally I feel like crap, all this self denial with stalled results really sucks. This is the point where a lot of folks will say ,"Screw it"(or something along those lines) and go off their weight loss strategy. I've done it before

This is definately not the time to do such a thing. You may want to review your plan and see if there is another way around it. Remeber we all lose weight differently and what works for me may not work for thousands of others. You may want to keep a food diary, record every thing you eat that day. Make some adjustments. If you are exercising definately keep an exercise diary. I do and my current diary goes back to 2003. I use this to mainly track my strength training but I do put overall exercisng in it. By doing so you migth want to change your exercise level.

One thing is you may not want to weight in each day. When I try to lose weight I usually weight in once a week. This way you most likely not to get bumbed if you gain a lb or two because of water weight or over indulgence one day. I am doing the weight in every day to see how it goes for me. Most people who have dramatic loss and not and steady weight loss are those of us who are grossly over weigth (think Biggest Loser over weight). If you're over your target weight by around 50 lbs. or more you should see your doc for help. If you do wear your prettiest bra and panty set.

So don't get discouraged if your progress stalls, it happens for every one. In fact by writing this I feel better about my self and I'll stay on plan until Thrusday; my wife's birthday (going out to dinner but will eat only half it it but it'll be fattening), then on Christmas Eve I'll cheat a bit, on Christmas I don't care I'll eat any damn thing I want and I will get some of the best alcoholic eggnog there is: Evan Williams brand. It has Burbon, Blended Burbon, Rum, Brandy and of course some egg nog!

If I can't get back here for a while please have a Very Merry Christmas!

BIG HUGS TO ALL, dana

Madilyn A.
12-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Some progress dropped another 2 lbs. as of this morning. Still well off my interim goal. My desire is to wear some of my great dresses from a few years ago. Also, I wish to stay at my ideal weight of about 210 and this 6'3" frame should be healthier and more shapely......If anyone is for continuing this thread into the New Year, then I'm all for it as well. I hope all of you are just about ready for the Holidays. Wishing all of you the best !

insearchofme
12-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Up a 1/2 lb (229), had lunch with a freind and ate a bit more than normal. What the heck, had a good time!

paulaluvssz8
12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
As the title states. Weight loss to get a more femme look? I know I'm over weight and I can tell it in my everyday performance. I'm looking to losing some weight, around 25-30lbs. And I would like to do it without building a male frame. What kind of workouts have any of you done that will help promote a more femme look? I'm up for suggestions.

Jill M
12-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Madilyn,
I am in. Lost about 25 pounds this past year. Like to lose another 10 pounds. It will be tough with all the Chistmas cookies on the table. Love them.

Madilyn A.
12-22-2010, 01:11 PM
As the title states. Weight loss to get a more femme look? I know I'm over weight and I can tell it in my everyday performance. I'm looking to losing some weight, around 25-30lbs. And I would like to do it without building a male frame. What kind of workouts have any of you done that will help promote a more femme look? I'm up for suggestions.

Paula, Our resident expert, Dana can help you out here. She has given me some great advise and is well versed in body building, I'm thinking Pilades, but I'm sure Dana will be happy to give some advise......Best of luck and happy holidays !!

makin' it real
12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
It seems that I am on the dreaded "Plateau"!

Yeah, Dana, I feel you. I had been plateau'ed at 173 for a week and a half. Finally broke through by increasing my walk time and drinking more water, just as you suggested. Thanks. Got down to 169 a few days ago, then had my inner rebel pig out for a day. Gained 4.5 pounds in one day! Yikes! I'm back down to 170 today and will keep moving in that direction. I'm committed to staying with good food management except on Christmas day itself. :)

What kind of workouts have any of you done that will help promote a more femme look?

Hi Paula. I'm no expert, but I have been reading up on ways to increase the feminine shape of my body, so I'll share some of what I've found useful.

First thing is about function rather than form. Women generally move their bodies more fluidly and freely than men do. Men tend to hold their hips, waist, torso, and arms rigidly. Doing things like yoga, stretching, and dancing can help us free up our limited movement patterns to allow more responsive and graceful movements that more closely approximate feminine movements.

Back to form, there are many things we can do to heighten feminine curves without increasing masculine musculature. The primary visual cue for perceiving "woman" rather than "man" is the waist to hip ratio, so the majority of our efforts should be focused there.

Men tend to add excess pounds in the abdomen. Losing the extra belly fat is the fastest way to change the waist-hip ratio. That's part of what we're doing on this thread through weight loss.

Next is reducing the waist through creating a "girdle." We have 4 major layers of muscles in the abdomen and they criss-cross the waist in 4 different directions, vertically, horizontally, and both diagonals. These bands of muscles also wrap around the sides and back of the waist, not just the front. Doing straight sit-ups or crunches works the rectus abdominus (the six pack) muscles almost exclusively, and will do very little to change the overall shape of the waist since these muscles are only on the front, are relatively narrow, and are most superficial. To create a waist-slimming girdle, we have to strengthen all those other abdominal muscles as well. This means doing exercises that move our waist in all directions, not just forward and back. So twisting crunches, bicycle crunches, standing side bends, standing twists, and standing pelvic circles can all help. So will laying on your back and bringing your knees toward the floor across your body, and laying on your stomach and lifting cross arm-leg combinations. All of these will help strengthen the deeper muscles and will "draw in" your waist from the sides, front, and back, giving you a more feminine hip-waist ratio.

The other element in that ratio is the hips. We want to make our hips bigger. Women carry more of their weight below the waist than do men, so increasing the size of our muscles below the waist is okay, and will help to visually feminize our weight distribution. The two places to emphasize here are the butt and the hips. Any kind of squats or lunges will do wonders for targeting the butt muscles. Bicycling is particularly good for shaping the butt too. For adding hips, you'll want to do movements that lift your legs out to the sides. You can lay on your side and lift the top leg upward, or combine a squat with a lateral leg lift as you rise. This latter has the added benefit of working those deeper abdominal muscles to help create the girdle.

Those are the primary shapers. Some secondary shapers include things like doing nothing, and I mean nothing, that exercises the muscles in your arms. Try to lift or carry as little as possible, and certainly no push-ups, pull-ups, or other upper body exercises. We want to lose muscle in the arms to slim them down. I've lost several inches in my upper arms over the past year, at least partly from consciously eliminating as much use of the arms as possible.

Another key to feminization of overall appearance has to do with posture and movement of the shoulder girdle. Men hold their shoulders and arms in a way that conveys strength, rigidity, and readiness for use. Chest up, elbows out. Women seems to carry their arms as if their arms are just along for the ride. The shoulders hang relaxed and the arms swing freely. Elbows in, wrists slightly turned out. Stretching and massage can help free up the usual locked and loaded male shoulder position. Try consciously lowering the shoulders so they move down and back, drawing them toward the middle of your spine. This has the added benefit of narrowing your ribcage and making your chest more pronounced, but still with a softer presentation than the usual male chest "thrust."

When choosing exercise plans, use programs that women use (excepting arm strengthening moves). I've started doing Zumba on occasion, and boy oh boy does it work all the right places for creating a feminine shape. Plus it makes me move in a very feminine way. There's just no getting past how femme I feel when doing those workouts. :heehee:

Well, there's my two cents. Hope it helps. I'd love to hear what others do to femininize their bodies as well!

insearchofme
12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Paula

Listen to makin'it real (Rachel?)

She's spot on, and Pliaties works well also as a total body conditioner. If you need anything else message me.

Hugs, dana

Madilyn A.
12-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I was down 2 more lbs. this morning, still well off my interim goal, but making progress......BTW, a tremendous amout of great information has been posted, along with some real success stories........ How are you doing in this, the weight gaining season ?

insearchofme
12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Lost that 1/2 lb I gained now back to 228.5.

Juliemckay
12-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't think I'll post my weight here. But I am down 2 1/2 lbs from when I started. I think it's because I trimmed my eyebrows.

Last year I dropped 30 lbs, I hope to drop another 30 lbs this year... 27 1/2 lbs to go. Yeah?

suchacutie
12-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I added to this thread on the 8th, and the very next day came down with a whooping cold! With all the liquids and meds, and two parties in there, I ballooned from 181 to 187....this morning my cold has ended and I'm back to 181...

Ready to start again...in Dec. 23... oh dear...this will take effort!

tina

makin' it real
12-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Well, same 170 this morning as yesterday, even though I ate less, drank more water, and walked twice as much. Urg. Okay, just keep at it.

But I am down 2 1/2 lbs from when I started. I think it's because I trimmed my eyebrows.

Oh my goodness, Julie! I nearly spewed on that one! That was hilarious! :eek:

this morning my cold has ended and I'm back to 181...

Hi Tina, welcome back. I would have thought being sick ought to make us lose weight instead of gain. Seems odd to me, but I don't want to test my apparently mistaken theory! I'm glad you're feeling healthy again. Good luck, and you know it's okay to modify your target weight's timeline, right?

Karren H
12-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I bumped up a pound to 179 and had a bunch of cookies today thanks to my dear wife.. But heading to the ice rink to blast some of the calories away!! Our playoffs... Have another game after Christams too!

Salina
12-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I am ready to join in...I'm 5'11" 188 looking to get to 175. I was at my heaviest ever last July at 215 and my yearly physical revealed high blood pressure for the first time ever! I have taken off 27 pounds and the BP is back to normal, but man oh man those last 10-15 are the hardest to take off. I have read only a handful of the posts and will get through them all over the next few days.I wish everyone success!!

makin' it real
12-24-2010, 01:39 AM
So many people have shared so many good suggestions, I thought I'd collect some of them into batches for easier reference. ~Rachel

JohannaH: Looking nice in skirts and dresses is a powerful motivator to lose weight. …I notice that my breasts are a bit more noticeable with my lower weight. I endure being teased by my wife about my "tits", "boobies", or the latest one, "chi-chi's", whenever I wear a dress with a tight fitting top.

MadilynA.: Dropping a dress size or two, getting into a particular dress that we have "outgrown", forgoing the Yo-Yo dieting which normally starts in January, and if nothing else; improve our health.......Good luck to all............Maddy

JohannaH.: I have a nice cute blue dress that is too small for me. So I need to drop another 15 lbs. My wife makes fun of me that I am losing weight so I can have a girlish figure and fit into my dresses.

Maria_1969: My SO gave me some incentive as she is at 5'8" and 145lbs and a size 8-10 that is I can lose enough weight, forget just sharing our skirts and pantyhose but I may be able to fit into her dresses.... Has me thinking that losing weight will SAVE me LOTS of money on clothing. :-)

Maddy: Simply eat more good foods and less bad foods. Drink less liquor or soft drinks, you all know the routine. Increase your daily physical exercise. Cut down on portions, etc, etc, etc.!!!

Now we have tons of (bad word) experts who can contribute whatever works for them, tell us what is working for you, tell us when you fell off the wagon, we all will at some point. Let’s talk about our goals, for me it's reducing my dress size and getting into a few dresses and jeans I just love! My extra 20 lbs. has made my face fatter!

Last year at this time I was about 275, long story, but meds had something to do with it. Last year I started to lose weight on Jan 1 and was down to 214 by March 1. So, I will keep you abreast of my progress. I have a number of suggestions such as use a teaspoon instead of a table spoon, eat as much cabbage, as possible, limit your portion sizes to nothing more than the palm of your hand.

BrandyJ: Just a thought. For those of us that can stand to lose 20 or more pounds, I think we should set our goals lower than the ultimate target goal. Example: If I need or want to lose 40 pounds total, why not set a short range goal of 5 pounds. That way when you have reached that short range goal, you will feel good about your progress and want to set a new goal of another 5 pounds and so on. But if we set the goal of 40 pounds and back slide, we might feel discouraged and give up. I used to use this method on my golf students when teaching golf. Let's say their average score was 100. Sure they'd like to shoot a par round. But that does not happen overnight. So I'd ask them to set a goal of just beating their lowest ever round. Maybe that was 95. So if they work to improve and go out and shoot a 94 or even a little better, then they are inspired to work harder. Then set a new goal, like breaking 90 for the first time. But to set a goal of shooting par, say 72 on the average course, then they become discouraged and feel like a failure in golf.

So my goal is set to just be a few pounds lighter this week over last. And then my next goal will be the same, lose a few pounds the next week, if I successfully lose that few extra pounds. If we set our goals to high, it is easy to get down for not getting there soon enough. Baby steps to the ultimate goal.

Seamed Nylons: I love my 32" waist, which means that all my 40+ years of collecting garments/slips, dresses, panties, girdles, garter belts, tops, women's jeans, leggings, expensive latex outfits, still fit and wear comfortably.

Dana: It seems that I am on the dreaded "Plateau"! Some may not know the term, it's when you get to a point where you not losing even though you are still trying to. This is the most difficult part of losing weight. Intellectually I know that this happens. Your body is still adjusting to your weight loss, you are still exercising but now that you've lost some weight it takes more exercise since you're not carrying around your starting weight. Maybe the foods you're eating are causing you to retain water, maybe you're starting to develop more muscle mass (muscle weights more than fat). However, emotionally I feel like crap, all this self denial with stalled results really sucks. This is the point where a lot of folks will say ,"Screw it"(or something along those lines) and go off their weight loss strategy. I've done it before

This is definitely not the time to do such a thing. You may want to review your plan and see if there is another way around it. Remember we all lose weight differently and what works for me may not work for thousands of others. You may want to keep a food diary, record everything you eat that day. Make some adjustments. If you are exercising definitely keep an exercise diary. I do and my current diary goes back to 2003. I use this to mainly track my strength training but I do put overall exercising in it. By doing so you might want to change your exercise level.

One thing is you may not want to weight in each day. When I try to lose weight I usually weight in once a week. This way you most likely not to get bummed if you gain a lb or two because of water weight or over indulgence one day. I am doing the weight in every day to see how it goes for me. Most people who have dramatic loss and not and steady weight loss are those of us who are grossly overweight (think Biggest Loser overweight). If you're over your target weight by around 50 lbs. or more you should see your doc for help. If you do wear your prettiest bra and panty set.

So don't get discouraged if your progress stalls, it happens for everyone. In fact by writing this I feel better about myself and I'll stay on plan until Thursday; my wife's birthday (going out to dinner but will eat only half of it, but it'll be fattening), then on Christmas Eve I'll cheat a bit, on Christmas I don't care I'll eat any damn thing I want and I will get some of the best alcoholic eggnog there is: Evan Williams brand. It has Bourbon, Blended Bourbon, Rum, Brandy and of course some egg nog!

makin' it real
12-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Nicole Erin: Just do an honest assessment of what you are eating, and if it is over what you really need, just cut back. I eat the same stuff as normal but in smaller quantities. I also cut out 1 can of cola and quit buying a king size candy bar each day.

RachR: Yesterday was my rest day and I didn't realize how much I needed it; nice to have that day to allow my muscles to recover so I'm not sore every day.

Dana: Since there will be no change in my caloric expenditure, all my fat loss (yes I'm using the F word) will be from reduced portions and drinking more water. I did read recently that if you drink a pint of water before you eat you'll lose much more fat. So here goes (me going to the potty more often I'm sure).

Danni Bear: The goal was to fit in my great grandmothers wedding dress in Sept. for my remarriage to my husband. Lots of exercise and four daughters and three daughters-in-law working my butt off on a daily basis for eight months. Changing what and how much I ate along with giving up my beloved DR. PEPPERS. No sacrifice is too great is what they kept telling me. LOL.

BrandyJ: Have only a 30 minute lunch break and I usually go a mile up the road to the nearest McDonald’s. My regular lunch would consist of 2 sandwiches off the dollar menu and a large drink. That is always sweet iced tea. Well last week I decided to cut back and eat only 1 sandwich and drop to a medium sized ice tea. I also mix the sweetened tea with the non-sweetened tea. So each work day I have cut maybe 333-400 calories at lunch alone. The good part is I am saving. It used to be $3.90 for the 2 sandwiches and large drink and now it's $2.62 for the 1 sandwich and the medium drink. So that's $1.28 a day I save... times a 5 day work week, equals $6.40 times a 4 week month equals a savings of $25.60.

Tina (suchacutie): My approach has been to change my eating habits. I only use a small plate and I don't refill it. I also drink a large glass of carbonated water before and one during dinner. Dinner always is a mix of at least 5 different foods, a little bit of each. I've found that keeps me interested in the food, requires that I eat it more slowly, and am quite satisfied after the meal. I have eliminated absolutely NO foods from my diet because I want to lose weight. I am completely working with quantity control, and so far it's knocked off 30 pounds with no Yo-Yo beyond 2-3 pounds when I eat a pile of salty food.

SeamedNylons: Lot's of double fiber diet, plenty of exercise, running walking has kept me trim @ 6'2" 190. Same as my HS weight as a tight end for the football team. Double fiber cereal and bread, eating supper early and only eating 1-2 meals a day. No junk food and I don't drink any alcohol...even beer or wine...that stuff will fatten you up for sure.

Suzanne Bender: I have always watched calorie labels and lately I have started keeping track. It’s pretty funny because where I am is the center of Machoville and the guys I am here with have also picked up the habit. It’s kinda funny to watch them obsess about how many calories are in 8 saltine crackers and a package of peanut butter. I am trying to eat at least two good meals a day and a snack. Last night wasn't so good I had an entire large Domino's ham and pineapple pizza, but I left 750 calories behind in the gym so I don't feel guilty. Well maybe a little but......

Katie Ellen: The keys for me so far are:
* Fast food no more than ONCE a week, if that. And if you do, don't pig out.
* Walk at least 2 miles every day. Get as much exercise as possible. It helps curb your appetite.
* Alcohol (beer) 1 night a week at most (I bowl). I only have 3 or 4 at most.
* Eat healthier food at all meals. As much fruit and vegetables as you can. Less starch.
* Drink as much water as you can.
* Avoid snacks, but don't deny yourself a slight taste once in a while. Try eating sugar free jello.
* For me, cutting carbs works best.
My goal is to get my BMI to a healthy level (25 and under).

Dana Fleming: Speaking of beer, Ben Franklin said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"! Maddy, just one tip on beer. Guinness (I know it's not for everyone) has fewer calories than most beers. In fact it has only 10 more calories per volume than a Lite beer. It has less alcohol per volume than a beer. It has more antioxidants than a glass of wine. It also fills you up so it's not easy to drink more than two. So now you have it, Guinness is a health food!!!

Anything I can do to help out my beer drinking sisters!

Morgan51: Portion control for me is probably the answer. I will start weighing my meals again and see what happens.

Madilyn A.: Saw Dr. Oz. today on the TODAY show, he suggested to not only record your weight daily, but what you eat.....Good Idea !!!!

Rachel (makin’ it real): My sister is a dyed in the wool diet nerd. She says if you limit your foods to just vegetables, nuts, and small portions of meat, that you can eat as much as you want and still not gain weight. Have any of you heard that as well?

LilSissyStevie: Low carb/ low cal works for me. I track my food intake and calories at http://fitday.com/.

Madilyn A.: Thanks again to Lilsissystevie for the www.fitday.com tip. I consumed fewer carbs, and calories yesterday, and knew how I was doing as a result of fitday.com. Interestingly, I was able to consume some "goodies", and still stay nourished and satisfied.

BrandyJ: I think I already posted about how I lost 13 pounds in 10 days on the Atkins diet about 7 years ago. much pro and con about the Atkins diet available to read. But I discovered something when I was doing it. Since I was not eating anything with carbs, I discovered that I was not hungry as when I ate portions of carb heavy foods. An example of what I ate is 6 eggs, and a 1/2 pound of ground beef. It broke a habit of always getting seconds for dinner. I might also have chocolate pudding (sugar free) made with half and half, topped with lots of whipped cream. For lunch (when I ate it) I'd have a whole roasted chicken sold at a local grocery store. Basically I lived on chicken, beef and eggs. If I had any vegetables it would be broccoli since it is very low in carbs as is any green leafy veggies are. It got boring, but like I said, I was never hungry. While I was doing this I saw a report on TV that said they discovered a part of the brain that reacts to carbs. Basically it said that gland or whatever it was turned on and made you want more carbs the more you ate. They said there is something to the Lays potato chip line that says " BET YOU CAN'T EAT ONE" So that explained why I never had my usual seconds and was never feeling hungry.

Atkins was right about some things. Carbs turn into glucose in the body, and what is not used is stored in your fat cells. Fat does not make you fat, but glucose does. He pointed out that since the grocery store shelves began lining their shelves with no fat and low fat items, the American public's average weight went up 9 pounds in a period of several years after the start of the low fat/no fat foods became available. And the rise in diabetes is also a result of the same.

White flour is one of the culprits. so if you cut out or way down on things like white bread, cake and other things made with white flour, you are doing yourself a favor.

So based on this I try to watch carbs, not calories or fat content. That is other then saturated fats, the really bad thing. Also stay away from anything made with corn syrup.

Just my two cents.

Dana: Since we are giving tips please allow me to do so also. Just so you know I know a lot about losing weight. I used to be a high school and college wrestling coach and I taught health classes including Diet and Exercise. Here is a good exercise tip for burning calories. Go out in the cold and walk, no need for heavy exercise. When you are cold the body uses up calories to produce heat. The night before tournaments we would weight in and if one of my wrestlers wasn't on weight, we'd go out in the cold and walk for about an hour, this was less hard on the body than running around in a sweat suit like so many wrestlers did. We never had any one miss weight.

Another tip is water! Most of us don't drink enough water and it is important to drink a lot of it when we are trying to lose weight. Think of it as flushing out the system. I think that most of my weight loss is because I am drinking a lot of water during the day. I read a study the other day saying that in a research project people on a diet lost 14-15 lbs more ,on average, than a control group, when they drank a pint (16 oz) of water before meals. Another tip is that if you want to speed you metabolism up (you do on a diet) drink 16 oz COLD water as soon as you get up. this will kick up the metabolism. I have a hard time with this because I don't like cold stuff when I get up in the morning. Give me HOT COFFEE!

Another thing to remember when you are getting close to your target weight. Often times your weight loss slows down, especially if you are doing any type of exercise. One of the reasons for this is that you are no longer carrying around so much extra weight. Just carrying around that weight burns calories. So when you don't have it any more your body doesn't burn as many calories as it did when you started. To counter act this you can do a bit more exercise especially resistance training. This makes your muscles bigger and that helps you burn calories even at rest.

Rachel (makin’ it real): Yeah, I kick-started my weight loss program a couple months ago using Atkins and lost 11.5 pounds in 2 weeks. I've stayed with mostly meats and veggies since then, but not exclusively. I read a couple reports about a large-scale study released recently that looked at the people's ability to keep weight off after a low-cal diet when they followed 5 different diet plans: low-cal, low-carb, veggie, etc. Far and away the most effective plan was meats and veggies, just like Atkins recommended.

Sorry you lost your gallbladder. My sister told me to try a gallbladder cleanse using an apple juice fast followed by olive oil http://www.cleansingorsurgery.com/cl...urgeryinfo.htm because I'd had about 3 decades of horrible eating habits. I tried it. Not only did I lose some weight, on the fourth day I passed a small mountain of green marbles (gallstones) without any pain whatsoever. Shocked the heck out of me. If you know anyone else with gallbladder or gallstone problems, you might suggest they give this a try first. Several days of apple juice isn't likely to hurt them.

Jonelle: So I have been attacking this goal with portion control… Making each meal just a little bit smaller than I used to eat… 3 lbs down, 19 to go.

Heather_Marie: I have been eating mostly fruits and vegetables with some chicken and meat.

Rachel: I lost another 4 pounds in the past 3 days by upping my water intake significantly, going for 2 half-hour walks a day instead of one, and slightly reducing my food intake a bit further than usual. I'm down to 169 now from 192.5 at the beginning of October.

makin' it real
12-24-2010, 01:45 AM
RachR: I'm working out 6 days a week again

Dana: Since I strength train 3 days a week, I'm not going to change my workout schedule so I still will not lose weight for my muscle mass. I also do cardio 5-6 days a week.

Morgan51: I have been swimming for a half hour each weekday morning. Was walking until it got too cold and windy here. I am eating lo-carb and have gone from 288# to where I am now it seems to come off a lot more slowly now. I swear the moderate exercise has added muscle and some #'s.

Suzanne Bender: I have been hitting the gym each day. Off days are simply a core work out and some basketball. Heavy days are core work until muscle failure (flab failure in my case) and then at least an hour on the elliptical, treadmill and recumbent bike with a target heart rate of 70% of max.

Dana Fleming: To those of us who are working out with strength training and live in a cold climate, here's a tip. Shoveling snow can be a killer if you're not in shape. When the weather turns I incorporate an exercise into my workout which I call "shoveling snow". I grab a plate and go through the action of shoveling snow, bending, scooping, lifting and throwing it over my shoulder and repeating. You can do any type of rep/weight combination. I am doing 3 sets of 10 reps (10 each side) with 25 lbs. with 1 minute rest between sets. I am going to increase weight and reps next week. This is almost a total body exercise; it hit the calves, quads, some hamstring, hips, abs, tris, bis, shoulders and your grip. Today for my workout I did some chest then did the rest of the workout doing shoveling snow. I did sets of 10 increasing the weight from 10 lb. plates working up to a 45 lb. plate. Total was nine sets of 20 (10 each side) for a total of 180 reps. When I was done I was gassed.

If I keep doing this it will probably keep the snow away and I won't have to shovel, lol. Hope this helps someone.

Rachel: Hi Paula. I'm no expert, but I have been reading up on ways to increase the feminine shape of my body, so I'll share some of what I've found useful.

First thing is about function rather than form. Women generally move their bodies more fluidly and freely than men do. Men tend to hold their hips, waist, torso, and arms rigidly. Doing things like yoga, stretching, and dancing can help us free up our limited movement patterns to allow more responsive and graceful movements that more closely approximate feminine movements.

Back to form, there are many things we can do to heighten feminine curves without increasing masculine musculature. The primary visual cue for perceiving "woman" rather than "man" is the waist to hip ratio, so the majority of our efforts should be focused there.

Men tend to add excess pounds in the abdomen. Losing the extra belly fat is the fastest way to change the waist-hip ratio. That's part of what we're doing on this thread through weight loss.

Next is reducing the waist through creating a "girdle." We have 4 major layers of muscles in the abdomen and they criss-cross the waist in 4 different directions, vertically, horizontally, and both diagonals. These bands of muscles also wrap around the sides and back of the waist, not just the front. Doing straight sit-ups or crunches works the rectus abdominus (the six pack) muscles almost exclusively, and will do very little to change the overall shape of the waist since these muscles are only on the front, are relatively narrow, and are most superficial. To create a waist-slimming girdle, we have to strengthen all those other abdominal muscles as well. This means doing exercises that move our waist in all directions, not just forward and back. So twisting crunches, bicycle crunches, standing side bends, standing twists, and standing pelvic circles can all help. So will laying on your back and bringing your knees toward the floor across your body, and laying on your stomach and lifting cross arm-leg combinations. All of these will help strengthen the deeper muscles and will "draw in" your waist from the sides, front, and back, giving you a more feminine hip-waist ratio.

The other element in that ratio is the hips. We want to make our hips bigger. Women carry more of their weight below the waist than do men, so increasing the size of our muscles below the waist is okay, and will help to visually feminize our weight distribution. The two places to emphasize here are the butt and the hips. Any kind of squats or lunges will do wonders for targeting the butt muscles. Bicycling is particularly good for shaping the butt too. For adding hips, you'll want to do movements that lift your legs out to the sides. You can lie on your side and lift the top leg upward, or combine a squat with a lateral leg lift as you rise. This latter has the added benefit of working those deeper abdominal muscles to help create the girdle.

Those are the primary shapers. Some secondary shapers include things like doing nothing, and I mean nothing, that exercises the muscles in your arms. Try to lift or carry as little as possible, and certainly no push-ups, pull-ups, or other upper body exercises. We want to lose muscle in the arms to slim them down. I've lost several inches in my upper arms over the past year, at least partly from consciously eliminating as much use of the arms as possible.

Another key to feminization of overall appearance has to do with posture and movement of the shoulder girdle. Men hold their shoulders and arms in a way that conveys strength, rigidity, and readiness for use. Chest up, elbows out. Women seem to carry their arms as if their arms are just along for the ride. The shoulders hang relaxed and the arms swing freely. Elbows in, wrists slightly turned out. Stretching and massage can help free up the usual locked and loaded male shoulder position. Try consciously lowering the shoulders so they move down and back, drawing the shoulder blades downward toward the middle of your spine. This has the added benefit of narrowing your ribcage and making your chest more pronounced, but still with a softer presentation than the usual male chest "thrust."

When choosing exercise plans, use programs that women use (excepting arm strengthening moves). I've started doing Zumba on occasion, and boy oh boy does it work all the right places for creating a feminine shape. Plus it makes me move in a very feminine way. There's just no getting past how femme I feel when doing those workouts. :heehee:

Madilyn A.
12-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Rachael, Thank you so very much for categorizing all of our posts, no small feat indeed............... It appears we have some very dedicated persons to fitness and personal health, the side effect being weight control. Then we have me and those of you like me, lack of focus. I need to reach down into my athletic background and harkin those days when I was able to keep the focus; and drive towards the goal of being the best I can be (and the prettiest ) LOL!........ It worked earlier this year when I dropped 55 lbs. in 60 days. The "eye of the tiger", the "eye of the tiger", "the eye.....................

Jocelyn Quivers
12-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Despite today being a very Merry day, it is also a scary day for me because I have to hit the scales. Regardless of what I weigh I am going to eat healthy today and not over indulge. Even though it's a holdiday for me, my body's ability to gain weight never takes a holdiday. Good luck to everyone and may you all find the strenght to resist the spice cake and stuffing.

insearchofme
12-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Most of the wieght you gain over a holiday is water weight1 So have fun and you can always start anew. At lest until New Years. As for me, all bets are off.LOL

morgan51
12-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Hello Ladies and gents I am still 226#'s at least I didn't gain any over the Christmas. Thanks for helping keep it off. Still swimming daily. Never got to weighing portions perhaps that would help.

Madilyn A.
12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Alright, I finally did it, back to my original start weight. Someone please, smack me around a little !! So as of today, no net loss, more importantly no net gain !!! YIPPEE !!!

makin' it real
12-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello Ladies and gents I am still 226#'s at least I didn't gain any over the Christmas. Thanks for helping keep it off. Still swimming daily. Never got to weighing portions perhaps that would help.

Alright, I finally did it, back to my original start weight. Someone please, smack me around a little !! So as of today, no net loss, more importantly no net gain !!! YIPPEE !!!

Sorry Maddy, no smacks from me! (Unless you really want some! :devil:) And your PM box is full. I wanted to wish you a very merry Christmas yesterday.

You know, I think making it through the holiday season so far without a gain in weight (or even with just a small increase) is cause for celebration. Just think how much we might have gained this year if we hadn't been paying attention!

So? Come on everybody, out with it! How are you doing with your diet?

I started December at 178, and was down to 171 this morning. Whew! There have been ups and downs, but overall I'm moving in the right direction. I still want to get down to 160. Really what I want is to get down to having a tiny feminine waist, but I figure losing weight down to 160 will help me get there.

How's your progress?

Jocelyn Quivers
12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Congragulations Madilyn!! My Christmas Day weight was not bad at all. I was actualy down 1.5 pounds from my previous week. Christmas Dinner was not too bad as well. After 3 years of going up in weight hopefully this downward trend will continue.

brandi.tgurl
12-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Lucky me! I haven't gained a (net) pound this season. But, I lost about 10 before Thanksgiving, and have gained back 5. Still down 5 for the season. Unfortunately, I'm still about 40 pounds over my ideal gurl weight. My goal has been to lose 20 (then I can at least fit back in my clothes). A toast to resolutions!

docrobbysherry
12-27-2010, 09:42 PM
2 days after my second Xmas dinner. Plus, 3 days of "crap snacking madness", at my daughter's!:straightface:

At this point, I expected to be up about 10 pounds. Scale said 4!!!:eek:

One more Xmas dinner and a football snackathon on New Year's Day to go!!:brolleyes:

Lookin' GOOD at keeping my weight gain to 10 pounds MAX!:D

Madilyn A.
12-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Once again still at my start weight, a net zero gain or loss. Almost grounds to celebrate. Almost..........It looks like our little "reminder" has begun to bear fruit, as several of you made it through the most difficult part of the Holidays with a loss or at least a minimal gain. Normally I would be 10 to 15 lbs heavier going into the new year, so we need to keep focused, our eye on our individual goals !!..........continued Good luck to all !

Heather_Marie
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
O.K. This is where I am at I gained some weight back and I am at 173.8 it was a very hard week I was on vacation and that threw everything out the window it took me out of my workout routine and eating habits. Just to let everyone know my workout is walking the stairs at work for 30 minutes and then three days a week I do about 200 crunches. I really hate to say this but I am ready to get back to work and workout again.

insearchofme
12-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I've decided to not weight myself until the holiday season is over. I'm having too much fun eating all the treats. I'll "pay the piper" next Monday.

Katie Ellen
12-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I've been stuck at my current weight for two weeks now. I've continued my exercise regiment, but my diet has been a little bit bad. My wife and I both have birthdays during this two holiday week. Got to live a little bit!

Madilyn A.
12-29-2010, 09:32 AM
It seems that many of us are stalled at a particular weight. For me, it is my beginning weight back from Thanksgiving. So no gain during this "traditional weight gain season", is a positive move for which we all can share it that success. The real work begins on January 2nd for most of us. My goal is still to shed 22 lbs. and I will....I will.......I will......I....

Danielle Gee
12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I too have managed with the Holiday and maintained my weight (223-225) maybe that's an accomplishment in itself.:daydreaming:

All I can be sure of is that I'm going to be put on a diet by my Doctor within the next few days. I've had an unexpected health issue pop up during a routine exam. Controlling ones diet is the key to controlling the problem (Type II diabetes):brolleyes:

Danielle

insearchofme
12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Want to share somethig with you all. Yesterday my wife and I went to the movies (saw The Fighter, we enjoyed it a lot). We usually don't go to the consession stand but since I didn't eat lunch I thought I'd get some popcorn (movie popcorn is soooooo bad for you) and my wife wanted a real Coke. I ordered the popcorn (a large tub, but I didn't rember my wife can't eat it because if a digestion issue). When I gave it to her to hold while I sat down she said she hoped I enjoy all of it, oopss. We shared the soda 22 oz apiece.

I almost finished the pop corn and soda and after a while I really felt terrible. All the salt, sugar, and other bad stuff didn't react well with my body. I haven't had a soda, regular or diet in over a month so i know that was a big part of it. So going off the diet can not only make you gain weight it can make you feel rotten. I'm gonna be good for a while.

makin' it real
12-29-2010, 08:58 PM
So going off the diet can not only make you gain weight it can make you feel rotten.

Yeah, I found that out too. I'd been eating mostly veggies for a month with just the occasional bit of fish when I decided to splurge with one of my old favorites - spicy chicken wings! Yum! Except they weren't yummy. They sat in my tummy and made me feel lousy all evening. Then the next morning, well, let's just say the morning elimination was most foul. I had no idea one of my favorite foods was that nasty to my system. That was a couple months ago and I haven't had it since. I miss it, but I also don't want to experience that nastiness again.

Like many here, I've been stuck at the same weight for a while. I was at 173 on Dec 6th and am still at 171.5 this morning. Darn! I am determined to reach 169 for the morning of the 1st, so I've gotta lose 2.5 pounds between today, tomorrow, and Friday. I'll be heading out in a few minutes to walk about 3 miles in the cold to pick up my ration of celery for tonight's snacking. Dinner will be green beans and that's it. It sounds dreary, but I mean it! I've gotta break through this plateau! I can feast on more good foods later, but right now I've gotta get my weight to start moving downward again.

~Rachel (with determination!)

AliciaCheerCd
12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I apologize for jumping into the middle of this thread, but I have really enjoyed reading through it.

Do any of you struggle with just mindlessly eating? I find that when I am concentrating on something, and there is food nearby, I will almost mindlessly eat it. My higher level conscious almost doesn't catch that I am eating too much until I have nearly consumed it.

I am so proud of all of you for the weight you are loosing. I am type 1 diabetic and a goal of loosing 50 lbs this coming year. I think it will be impossible.

Madilyn A.
12-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Alicia, A 50 lb. loss is great, but as you have read not impossible, as evidenced by several of the respondents, myself included...... Yes, there have been so many great tips offered, with Rachael doing a fantastic job of summarizing many of them. Thanks Rachael...... Dana has offered really great exercise advise as well. Thanks Dana.....Then there's the plain old practical advise offered by so many that is time tested and true blue......So I wish you the very best and hope for your success !

Katie Ellen
12-30-2010, 07:54 PM
It's soooooo easy to just give up when you don't see success for awhile. Then all it takes is bad day, bad news or just being down. That's when I'm more inclined to just say "screw it - I'm not exercising today and I'm getting a pizza"!

I'm trying real hard NOT to do that right now. The holidays aren't always great. I haven't worked in over a year. The wife's working too many hours to help out. Fuses are short on some days!

Danielle - I too have been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Losing weight is no longer a wish for me. It's a must. I'll have to dig deep to make it through this tough period though.

makin' it real
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I am type 1 diabetic and a goal of losing 50 lbs this coming year. I think it will be impossible.

Hi Alicia (and Danielle and Katie) - Even though this thread seems to be winding down as the holiday threat to weight is over, I want to affirm for you that YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! It really does matter that you take care of yourself. Losing the excess weight is a way of saying you matter. It's important that we care enough about ourselves, and think we are worth the effort, to take care of ourselves. And in your case, since your weight has an effect on the course of a disease, taking the weight off is also a way of saying the other people in your life matter too. So losing the weight is a way of showing you value yourself and you care about the others in your life.

Now a progress note. I did it! I'm down to 169.0 this morning! That was the interim goal I'd set. I made it. I've lost ten pounds in the month of December and 23.5 pounds since the start of October. WooHoo! So I did my measurements today and found I lost another inch off my chest, waist, and butt this past month too. Next goal, get down to 160 and continue shaping my waist.

And finally, some quotes seem apt for motivation here. The first is to acknowledge the part in all of us that says we can't accomplish something. From Henry Ford: “If you think you can do it, or you think you can't do it, you are right.”

Goethe, one of my favorite thinkers, gave us, "Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move the hearts of men."

The quote that truly inspires me, opening me up to the realm of wonder where all things are possible, is this famous paraphrasing of Goethe:

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back– Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Let us all find the dreams this year that most deeply move us, then commit to them and begin. I wish for us all a life of magic and wonder this year.

:love: :hugs: :love:

~Rachel

Clethra
01-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I'd love to join in and lose 15 lbs by spring. Nothing worse than a girl with a beer gut!!

jennifer easton
01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I'VE BEEN A BAD GIRL!! over the last week and weekend I've managed to put back on the 5# plus 2# since my last weigh-in yep I'm up to 209 from 202 that I was so proud of. the culprit was new years and the Chiefs tailgating the last two week's so much temptation how's a good girl to say no! there's no Justis in the world, a girlfriend of mine(she has a body to die for all curvy and a size 6 ) can put away more chow than 14 year old teenager and never gain an ounce, me one glance at cupcake and I've gained 2#, talk about not fair

Juliemckay
01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
My final post holiday results are...

drum roll please...

down 5 pounds since just before thanksgiving. 25 more to go

Madilyn A.
01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Hi All ! First, as we enter into the New Year, may all your hopes and dreams come true !.......... Now, I have to get busy on some serious weight loss. This morning I am back down to a one pound net loss from the start. I started at 237 dropped to 232, now 236. This 6'3" frame looks much better at about 215, so here goes !! The parties, the get togethers, the massive meals are over. This date last year I was 275........... I think I will see if I can keep the thread going, as I have learned many things as a result of the many posts. Maybe have to start exercising again. Ughhh !!........Hugs Maddy

Juliemckay
01-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Does anyone use the "fat day" approach?

An ardent bodybuild friend of mine tells me that it's good to pick a couple of days a month for a fat day. He tells me that if you pick a couple days a month and give into one or two of you favorite food vices (within reason of course), it helps stop the urge to cheat the rest of the time. Has anyone tried this? I may, it's the cheating that does me in.

Madilyn A.
01-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Julie, First congrats on losing 5#s since Thanksgiving. That's a major accomplishment to my way of thinking !!.........For me, last year when I was successful in losing some 55 lbs in 2 months, I would have some of my fat foods only on Sunday, never any other day. Also would only have 1 beer on Sunday, no other day. It worked for me then, hopefully I have the constitution to see it through again !!.....Good luck Julie.

Juliemckay
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Julie, First congrats on losing 5#s since Thanksgiving. That's a major accomplishment to my way of thinking !!.........For me, last year when I was successful in losing some 55 lbs in 2 months, I would have some of my fat foods only on Sunday, never any other day. Also would only have 1 beer on Sunday, no other day. It worked for me then, hopefully I have the constitution to see it through again !!.....Good luck Julie.

Thanks Madilyn. It was tougher than I though it would be. I lost 30 lbs in 2009, looking to lose another 30 lbs this year (I'm dreaming about making it 40, but we'll see). What has alwys killed me was the cheating. My friend told me to pick a day, go shopping for the things you want, and really enjoy it. He says that if you never allow for a fat day, when you cheat you go way over the top and create a yo-yo affect on your weight. By setting one day aside it gives you something to look forward to and makes it easier to turn down "goodies" when you're not supposed to have then

suchacutie
01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Ok, so here I go again. 181 to 187 over thanksgiving, back to 181, and this last week up to 186. With no holidays in sight, it's dive! dive! dive!

tina

insearchofme
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Thank heavens for this thead! When we began I weighted in at 236.5. By the 23rd of December (wife's birthday adn the official start to our Holiday Season) I was 228.5. Now I am 234 after the Holidays. So since the start of this thread I've lost 2 lbs! If it weren't for this I be at 242.5. So I am happy! I'm back on the diet until my birthday in March, so here we go!

GingerLeigh
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh Lucky me! In just one day during the holiday I lost 3 lbs! Well, thanks to our friendly world of communicable diseases ie: NOROVIRUS. The whole family got hit, and I was hit especially hard. I haven't been that violently sick in a long time. Who knew there was that much stuff inside me! Oh well, lost my appetite through the new year and lost an additional 2 lbs for a total of 5 lbs that I lost before today.

Wanna lose weight real fast? Find someone with the Norovirus AKA Norwalk virus and you are in for a real weight loss session!

Andrea's Lynne
01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I've been a bad girl, too, Jennifer! Up to 202.8 ..... but determined to get healthy. To the basement, and exercise bike, right now.

Madilyn A.
01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Ginger, Ouch !! Not a favorite weight loss technique. But remember, it's not wheather you win or LOSE, it's how you play the game !!...NOT !!

Heather_Marie
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Well I have been a bad girl lately. The last time I weighed my self I was 173.4 I know I gained back some of my weight this last week but tomorrow I go back to work and back to getting to losing my weight and I will not stop until I lose 15 pounds. So I will keep posting my updates throughout this new year.

DebsUK
01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I went to the gym to do a little cardio after a couple of weeks off over Christmas. So after a lack of exercise and an excess of food and drink (and a chesty cold that has been hanging around for about three weeks) I expected to, have put on a bit of weight. I was shocked to see I'd lost about 0.5kg (or 1lb) which makes me 59.5kg (quick thumbnail conversion, that's about 130lb). Still feel fat though

Andrea's Lynne
01-03-2011, 07:54 PM
At the start of the New Year I also started logging everything that I eat or drink into Cron-o-meter (calorie tracking software that is a free download). KNowing that I'm "counting" everything I take in has (in this short few days) done great deal for my willpower.

docrobbysherry
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I have NO IDEA how u LOSE over the holidays! :eek:

I did MUCH better than expected!:D
After totally pigging out over the holidays and "game day", new years day, I only put on 5 pounds!:straightface: Expected to put on closer to 10!

So, I'm up to 155. I'll be down to 150 again in 2 weeks! Then, it's back to my continuing quest to equal the weight I was on my first, age 16 driver's license! 145!:brolleyes:

Madilyn A.
01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Well, this morning down 2 lbs. from yesterday :thumbsup:...... The food intake was :1,003 calories, 33.7 grams of fat, 101.0 grams of carbs, and 60.9 grams of protein. I am using www.fitday.com to log my food intake and weight loss.......Let's see how you all are doing ?

insearchofme
01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
I lost another 2 lbs, so I'm 230. However yesterday I gave blood and that weights 1 lb so I really dropped 1 lb. Of course after giving blood I am very hungry so I ate a lot of friut and raw veggies. This morning I had an easy weight workout but still got light headed so I cut it short, and I didn't do cardio. Guess when you get older the loss of that much blood is harder to recover from. When I was in my 30s I would give blood in the morning and run in the evening so for all you youngsters givng blood should not bother you.

If you can I urge you to give blood. After the holidays the blood supplies are down and they need to build them up. When you give blood you help so many people with just one donation. So if you can please donate!

Hugs,

Madilyn A.
01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Down another 2 lbs, net loss this week 5 lbs........ Yesterday, caloric intake about 1100 calories. Included was 2 Miller Lights, 1 glass of red wine. Didn't feel hungry at all. I think I am focused on my goals and should have no problem dropping the 22 lbs....... I am curious as to how everyone else is doing ?

insearchofme
01-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Wenr out to dinner last night with my wife since neither one of us wanted to cook. Ate a bit too much but only gained 1/2 lb, so I'm at 230.5.

Brenda Carea'
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I'll play too. What great motivation! I could stand to loose 20 or 30 pounds.

insearchofme
01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
For some reason yesterday I was hungry all the time. I ate a lot except it was friuts, nuts and veggies durning the day. At dinner we had pasta (the 3rd day in a row). That evening I had 3 pieces of candy. After that it was time for bed. Perhaps I felt like that because it was cold and snowy most of the day and I was trying to stay warm by filling up. This morning I gained only 1/2 lb so it wasn't that bad.

So far today I not hungry at all, how strange is that?

Hugs

Stephanie47
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I lost five pounds over the holidays. I'm down to 198 morning weight. I would love to hit 175 which was my weight in the military and for several years thereafter. I read the back of the beer cans and saw 175 calories-same for soda pop. I have to just eat less. Hopefully the spring will be early for I can start moving dirt around for several hours a day. That's a weight loss program that produces tangible results, even if I do not lose some pounds.

Andrea's Lynne
01-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Great progress! Congrats to all my girlfriends here. You're outstanding!
I'm definitely inspired by you. 202.8 on New Year's day. Cut my calories down to an average of 1500 per day (heavy on protein), and cut out my beloved beers ( ;( ). Added 30 minutes on the exercise bike or rower .... and was shocked at the result. Down to 193.6 this morning. And I have not felt all that hungry either.

Keep up the good work, chickas!!

Madilyn A.
01-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Lynne, Your post is inspiring to all of us. Wow, congratulations ! I am only down this morning by 3 lbs., but have some great dresses to get into; so, thanks again for the inspiration. Hugs Maddy

Andrea's Lynne
01-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks Maddy! I think my biggest problem in 2010 was that in December I had fallen into a routine of having ~4 beers after work ... almost every day .... not such a good idea, for more than 1 reason, I suppose. I think my body is wondering where all those calories have gone ;)

Madilyn A.
01-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Lynne, My problem as well, a few beers each day, well sometimes a few more than a few as well. Hoagies, cheese steaks, and pizza don't help either....But I am inspired after seeing how well you have done....BTW, a few photos might serve to inspire us even more !!!

jennifer easton
01-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Whoa!! Andrea to cool 9# loss wow, I think I'm up 2 more Geeeeeze, this looks hopeless for me, congrats to all of the girls with will power! and hasta-la-veast Baby to the poundage you've lost, love ya Jenni

JohnH
01-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Last summer I was down to 85 kg [188 lbs]. Then when the weather cooled down I got up to 89 kg [195 lbs]. This morning I weighed myself, and it was 87 kg [192 lbs].

Those numbers are so much better than in July 2009 I weighed 104 kg [228 lbs].

My type 2 diabetes is under much better control at my lower weight. I still would like to get down to 80 kg [175 lbs].

My wife hassles me about my losing weight; she says I am being really vain. After losing weight I finally have a figure with breasts and hips, and my wife teases me about my "tits".

So, I did not gain weight over the holidays.

We have to dump the old colonial units and go to modern SI units.

Johanna

Heather_Marie
01-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Well it sounds like everyone is on the right track OUTSTANDING. I got back to work and started working out there by climbing the stairs at work for 25 minutes and eating correctly I have not gotten back on the scale yet but I will tomorrow and let everyone know. Let's keep this up and in no time we will all be thiner women.

makin' it real
01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi again. So I fell off the wagon for a couple days this past week. You know how I had gotten down to 169 on Jan 1, right? Well, by Thursday I had ballooned up to 172 because I had lots and lots of delicious celebration foods and drink. I just received a solid job offer to create my ideal program at a top tier university, to begin in June when I finish my current responsibilities.

I've started and run businesses before, and have run academic programs. I enjoy doing them both because I find them to be satisfying, challenging, creative endeavors. Now I get to combine those two things I enjoy with a field of study that has been my passion for the past 20 years, but which I never expected might receive institutional support.

Yahoo! Let the celebrations begin! And the first one was immediately afterwards with a HUGE juicy bacon and bleu cheese burger and fries, accompanied by "one bourbon, one scotch, and one bee-eer"! Hahaha! Even in a high-rent district I can be a low-rent girl sometimes! It was a hoot.

I'm back down to 167.5 now, basically through barely eating and staying active these past couple days, but I just had to tell you all what's been going on and why I haven't been on here as much this past week. Yay! :cheer:

I think I've had one or more of these :angel: working on my behalf, because this event makes me :bs:.

Hugs,

Rachel

Madilyn A.
01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Ratchel, Congrats on the diet, and more importantly congratulations on your new endeavor. I wish you the very best !!

Andrea's Lynne
01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Congratulations, Rachel!! Great news o the job, your celebration, and the weight. Nice work, girl!!

gwenbeth
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Well over the holidays I gained about 2 pounds but now I have lost that and 3 more pounds down to 205. At the rate im going i might get under 200 in a few weeks. I think it has been at least 10 years since I have seen that.

Two weeks ago we were having dinner at a friends house, and even though I was on vacation, I was still thinking about losing weight. So I had a reasonable portion for dinner and my wife said that i "eat like a girl". I think she was making fun of me

makin' it real
01-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks Maddie and Lynne. I'm still flying about this new opportunity, to the point I haven't been able to think of hardly anything else. I even spent a full day travelling out of town just to talk for a couple hours with a friend who's done similar things at another school, rather than stick around home to do the regular tasks I know need doing.

Still, it's also motivating me to get off my duff and get stuff done! Including getting my body in shape; fit and healthy so I can function at my best, and curvilicious so I can enjoy my bits of down time. After all this dieting I'm starting to see a waist again. That hasn't happened in years! Sorta like Gwenbeth, we are both reaching places we haven't seen in a while.

~Rachel

insearchofme
01-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Late congratulations Rachel, sounds great for you.

Well, after being back on my "diet" for a week I've dropped 4 lbs. All I am doing is cutting down on my portions. I'm not missing anything that I enjoy eating or drinking. I'm just not eating or drinking as much. I'm only going to record my weigth on Monday mornings as I used to do. I may jump on the scale to take a peek but will only count what I weight on Mondays.

So now I'm 230 and hopefully by next week I'll drop a couple of lbs.

Here is a web site with lots of cool stuff for diet and exercise some of you my know it but for those who don't go check it out www.livestromg.com

Hugs, Dana

insearchofme
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Just want to bump this up. Let's not forget our challenge. I'm holding at 230, been out in the cold a lot shoveling snow. When I get inside i am famished and eat, a lot! So holding is good. Going to eat Mexican tonight got to be careful since I love it.

Andrea's Lynne
01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I've been holding steady at 194 for several days now, but am OK with that. I, too, am watching portion control

My wife and I call it ELAG (Eat Like A Girl) ;) You can tell I used to be in the military ;)

Logging every thing I eat does help me to control how much I eat. I guess I know I'll feel doubly guilty f I have to enter data that shows I'm not ELAGing

Keep it up!!!

Madilyn A.
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
For me, still about 234. I am having a most difficult time losing this year ! I had Avodart proscribed, already have Flomax. Maybe not enough T in my system. Just can't figure it out. But somehow I am going to get into a gown my wife used once and gave to me. I need to drop 20 lbs. Perhaps some before and after photos. I have plenty of "before" right now, and "afters" from before. Got that !!

insearchofme
01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Had Mexican last night and loved it. I had the "special" two flour tortillas (huge) stuffed with chicken, lightly fried, covered with salsa and a cheese sauce. With LARGE servings of rice and beans. I immediately asked for a box and put half of it in it. I also didn't pig out on the chips before the meal. I did drink a Negra Modello, loive it. I ate the rice and beans I took home for my mid day snack and am going to have the tortilla for lunch. Oh, by the way my weight stayed the same overnight.

One thng I want to pass on is that inorder to lose weight you must eat. Most recommend 5-6 small meals a day. That way you not get hungry and you don't get into what I call "starving mode". Our ancestrers often went long periods with out food, at times hunting wasn't very good. Our bodies learned to "feast or famine" by slowing down our metabolism when food wasn't avaiable and speeded it up when it was. So if we go on a "starvation diet" we give our bodies signals to slow down the metabolism. This makes us retain out fat stores which is what we don't want.

You've got to eat to lose weight. So girls keep eating, just not so much!

Hugs,

cdona20
01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Well even though Im a new member and didn't know about this challenge as described here, I did set a weight loss goal around Halloween and am glad to say I made progress. I am 6 feet tall and around halloween I was around 180 lbs. Now as of today I am 154 lbs. I want to lose more (Just a few pounds short of being able to see the underside of my belly just by looking down) but my Dr. is telling me I could now stand to gain a few. :D

Madilyn A.
01-13-2011, 05:13 PM
CDona, All I can say is wow !! At 6' tall and 154 lbs, with such a beautiful face, sweetie you could be one of the hotties'. Keep posting and show us what 6' and 154 lbs. look like.

Barbara Dugan
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I had a doctor appointment this morning for a regular check up and the scale kind of shock me 163 lbs its the heaviest I've been probably in my life. It is estrange because always my weight tend to be stable around the low to mid 150's. I may need my hormone levels check again probably my T levels are getting too low again or my thyroid is getting out of whack but anyway I will starting working out and checking what to eat more careful.

jennifer easton
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
OK,OK, I have nothing good to report still hang'n round the 205 mark, or maybe I do, the fact I'm not going up in weight,has to be a good thing right, hey so life is good!! I feel better all ready, I think there's a piece of cake with my name on it out in the kitchen, I'll check-in in a week. Jenni

insearchofme
01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I've stayed the same, 230lbs. that is good since I've been a bit lax in keeping my food portions small.

Juliemckay
01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm down another 6 pounds... due to a lovely case of the flu. As it stands now I'm down 11 of the 30 I wanted to drop. Not the way I wanted to do it though.

Marissa
01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
cdona..almost 30lbs in 3 months???? WOOOWWWW!!!! How did you do that with all the holidays foods and cold weather??? Hints to pass on? That is great..

No I didn't raise my hand at the start of the thread as I have taken a big turn to not being as active since leaving the military and not working..bad excuse, I know..but I did one posititve thing..I bought that contraption that is mean enough to tell you what your not doing..yes, a scale. When I was active duty, we had fitness training first thing in the morning and I would jump on the scale before and after.. well okay, I lost part of the battle :( Gained 20lbs in 2 yrs (165 to 185). So the goal is to lose it again.. well how am I doing? uhhh fluxuating between 2-3 lbs. At least I'm not gaining.. that is what the scale reminds me, now I have to listen to the other voice that says get out and be active :)

I commend each of you on making the decision and wish you all the best of luck.. keep the faith :)

Hugs,
Marissa

kimdl93
01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm in. My goal is to lose another 20#. Once upon a time (6-7 years ago) I got careless and my weight ballooned to 267. I've knocked off 32 pounds over the past five or so years, but would really like to get back below 220.

One comment - I don't think daily weight measurement is entirely reliable. Its prone to variation depending on fluid intake and exercise. I can drop 4 pounds in an intense workout. But it all comes back the next day. So, I'll track myself on a weekly basis - stealing a glance at the scale now an then between offical weigh ins!

Andrea's Lynne
01-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Keep it up ladies!

And a tip for you if you do weigh yourself daily (which I do): Weigh yourself at the same time every day (preferably as soon as you wake up ..... and "in all your glory") and you'll get some useful data.

IamSara
01-25-2011, 11:10 PM
I had a doctor appointment this morning for a regular check up and the scale kind of shock me 163 lbs its the heaviest I've been probably in my life. It is estrange because always my weight tend to be stable around the low to mid 150's. I may need my hormone levels check again probably my T levels are getting too low again or my thyroid is getting out of whack but anyway I will starting working out and checking what to eat more careful.

Well keep working at it. I am and have been hitting the treadmill, elip and bike for 1hr every day now since jan 1. Unfortunately have only dropped 5 pounds. Grrrr but that is the way it goes. Got 25 to hit my goal of 165.
Sarah

IamSara
01-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Keep it up ladies!

And a tip for you if you do weigh yourself daily (which I do): Weigh yourself at the same time every day (preferably as soon as you wake up ..... and "in all your glory") and you'll get some useful data.

Same here Lynne it is a great idea that a trainer told me to do a couple of years ago.
Sarah

suchacutie
01-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Ok, for the third time in this thread I have gotten rid of the holiday bulge and I made it back to 181!!!! Now, can we continue on this track?

I'm working hard at it!

tina

Eryn
01-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Keep it up ladies!

I'll add that day-to-day readings mean little, usually reflecting the weight of the previous nights' dinner. Keep a record and look for overall trends. I started to weigh daily when I found out to my dismay that I had broken the 190 barrier. I'm now hovering in the mid 170s and would like to get back to my college weight of 168.

Jocelyn Quivers
01-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Just did my weekly weight check. 161!! I'm getting close to my goal and to the point where my wife is starting to forbid me to lose any more weight.

Andrea's Lynne
01-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Way to go, Jocelyn!! That's inspiring (and I could use a bit of inspiration with all these grey days and snow fall!)

makin' it real
01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
I seem to have lost my motivation or focus this month. During December I kept holding the idea of losing weight while facing the challenges of holiday food, and that's what kept me going. Now in January it's been like, "No holidays? No motivation!"

I started the month at 169, and somehow got up to 173. I'm back down to 167 now, but I think I need to refocus how I'm going to do this. I'd had the idea of dieting and losing weight over just a couple/few months then being able to revert to most of my previous eating patterns to simply maintain that weight. Now I don't think that's going to work.

It's like I have to create a new way of relating to food in order to bring in a long-term eating pattern. I'd been doing the close-to-starvation diet occasionally and that's just not healthy or enjoyable to maintain. Plus, as Dana mentioned, the body rapidly adapts to that and stops burning fuel as readily. It was weird. When I started eating more snacks during the day (nuts and such) I started losing weight again. Thanks Dana, your tip really helped.

Anyway, I'm not sure what eating plan to put in place yet, but I just realized I'd bookmarked a lot of dieting recipe and lo-cal recipe websites that I haven't been using. I like the idea of adding more flavorful and visually satisfying meals to my diet, so I can have a longer lasting, healthful, and sustainable manner of eating.

~Rachel