PDA

View Full Version : When u say, "Age appropriate clothing", what do u REALLY MEAN?

docrobbysherry
12-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I've read SO MANY posts here that refer to "Age appropriate clothing". What does THAT MEAN? :brolleyes:

I understand "venue appropriate clothing". (Altho, I've occasionally seen flaps and shorts in the evening at our local professional concert hall.):sad:
U don't wear bikinis or a ball gowns to the mall. And, U only wear you're "sexy hooker" outfit to a club!:o

I understand dressing "appropriately for your FIGURE"! (Thank goodness those muffin top jeans have disappeared from our high school and college campuses!):eek:
I think most of the girls here that go out, dress to flatter their figures and allow them to blend as much as possible.

But, that has nothing to do with their age! Does it?

I just posted pics wearing outfits VERY similar to those my daughter wears daily to high school. And, they'r VERY SIMILAR to the outfits I see on women of all ages at the mall. Boots, leggings or jeans, skirts, sweaters, etc., etc. Of course, the adult women often wear classier, more expensive outfits.

But, isn't that more "$$ appropriate" for their station in life? And, would seem to have little or nothing to with their age!?

What am I missing? Can someone explain "age appropriate clothing" as it's often used here?:straightface:

Karren H
12-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Beats me.... I bought a dress in the Juniors dept the other day.... and I anit no junior!! lol

Violetgray
12-06-2010, 01:36 AM
What one considers "Age appropriate" is subjective. But still, you've NEVER seen a woman wearing something and thought, "She's a little old for that?" For example, there's been a more recent trend of girls walking around with jeans that say something across the butt, like "Juicy" or "Princess." You wouldn't think it's strange to see a 60-year old wearing jeans that say "Princess?"

You've never noticed that girls in their teens and their 20's have a different style from older women? Btw, classier and more expensive are definitely not related concepts.

This classy outfit is $79.99 http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/velvet-flocked-bolero-and-dress/100754890/150

These purposely faded women's jeans, $396.00.

http://www.bluefly.com/Gucci-medium-blue-faded-straight-leg-jeans/cat870110/307537001/detail.fly?referer=ca_froogle&cm_mmc=ca_froogle-_-na-_-mens_denim-_-307537001&mr:trackingCode=7C261394-3443-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

One might say that youthful styles have a certain brashness, a certain "notice me" quality that tends to take advantage of a body that hasn't succumbed to age and a slowing metabolism. So when many see an older woman wearing these styles, they shake their head because they feel she should be past that stage by now.

I'm not saying I agree with that sentiment one way or the other, I am a mid-30's goth after all, but I do believe that's why other people say the things they do.

AllieSF
12-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I have the same problem with that terminology. I actually dislike it a lot. I like your descriptions of dressing appropriately for the venue. I like to dress so that I like my look for the venue and activity involved. Shorter skirt and tighter fitting top for a special fun night out, to a more casual slacks and looser top when going to a dive bar. I like my taste in clothes for me and for others, and trust my decisions to dress well to fit in, maybe stand out a little when I feel like it, and compliment my looks as best possible.

Cari
12-06-2010, 01:42 AM
I guess if you are in your 40's you shouldn't be wearing a class of 2008 shirt :-)

I dont see women my age wearing sweats with words on their butt or Hello Kitty stuff; but outside of branded stuff I dont see how age appropriate fits if it flatters your figure.

The station in life life thing kinda works, by the time your older you know what you like and collect some nicer pieces. The biggest thing Ive noticed is that women my age have nicer more classic accesories that arent as trendy. They may have one or two trendy pieces but rarely head to toe like teens or younger women. Look at handbags and jewelry big difference. Ive also noticed a big difference in manicures.

I think age appropriate matters much more in wigs and makeup than in wardrobe.

Violetgray
12-06-2010, 01:55 AM
The biggest thing Ive noticed is that women my age have nicer more classic accesories that arent as trendy.

I think that you may be on to something here. Perhaps as one gets older they become more confident in who they are as an individual, and are less likely to follow the hot trends?

Vickie_CDTV
12-06-2010, 03:20 AM
It depends on the context. A friend once mentioned to me, that in certain situations it can be code for "Change how you dress so you blend in with everyone else just so us uptight folks won't be read because of you!"

Based on my experience with mature women, they tend to be more confident and comfortable with themselves and their bodies and do things they like and dress how they like and don't care what the "in-crowd" thinks. They tend to be more independent (having had kids, survived bad marriages or whatever) and have less need to conform and "fit in" at their stage in life. When I was in my 20s, I found it refreshing compared to some of the women my age at the time.

ReineD
12-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Within each style of dress, whether it is casual or formal, pants or dresses, there are age appropriate guidelines that are difficult to define, since in addition to the age appropriateness, one has body type to consider. But, the common sense approach is to look at how hot the slim, perky, flawless skinned, young 20 something hottie looks in her short, strapless, cute, pouffy club wear, for example, and imagine seeing the same outfit on a more mature woman, even if the 50ish woman is slim. She won't look as good. In fact, she'll look as if she is trying to dress too young for her age. This doesn't mean the 50 yr old who is in good shape can't wear skirts above the knee, or some decolletage, but she simply can't pull off the look designed for a young girl.

In reverse, try imagining a negligee or a sexy, tight, sweater dress on a 12 year old. It just doesn't work.

Examples:

Dress for a 20 year old:

Dress for a 40 year old (if she has a good body):

But, this 40 or 50 year old would need to have no tummy, good legs, no saggy butt, and the top part of her arms mustn't flap (the way arms begin to flap as we age). lol

Danni Bear
12-06-2010, 03:50 AM
DOC,

age appropiate could mean to some. Dressing in a more mature manner, not wearing the same style of clothes as a younger girl or in the case of guys not the more extreme fashions. Age gives us a more refined appearence more often and allows a greater chance of blending with others. Most are not using the clothes to find a partner but expressing a part of their identity. Clothes do portray an age look, they appeal to each generation in specific ways. That is how designers make their money, by designing clothes that appeal to different ages and styles. Most younger women and crossdressers wouldn't be caught dead in the fashions that most older women and crossdressers favor. the same can be said of us older ones to an extent also. The difference being that we will wear those that are meant for the younger crowd much more often. After all you only live once.

Danni

Ann-Marie
12-06-2010, 04:31 AM
I think age appropiate means wearing what is comfortable and fits your time in life.
Ann-Marie with her face hidden loves leggings, mini skirts stilleto's etc.
If she was showing her 57yo face she would need to be a bit more conservative or think the comments from those who see her may have a good laugh.

Hana22
12-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I've read SO MANY posts here that refer to "Age appropriate clothing". What does THAT MEAN? :brolleyes:

I understand "venue appropriate clothing". (Altho, I've occasionally seen flaps and shorts in the evening at our local professional concert hall.):sad:
U don't wear bikinis or a ball gowns to the mall. And, U only wear you're "sexy hooker" outfit to a club!:o

I understand dressing "appropriately for your FIGURE"! (Thank goodness those muffin top jeans have disappeared from our high school and college campuses!):eek:
I think most of the girls here that go out, dress to flatter their figures and allow them to blend as much as possible.

But, that has nothing to do with their age! Does it?

I just posted pics wearing outfits VERY similar to those my daughter wears daily to high school. And, they'r VERY SIMILAR to the outfits I see on women of all ages at the mall. Boots, leggings or jeans, skirts, sweaters, etc., etc. Of course, the adult women often wear classier, more expensive outfits.

But, isn't that more "$$ appropriate" for their station in life? And, would seem to have little or nothing to with their age!?

What am I missing? Can someone explain "age appropriate clothing" as it's often used here?:straightface:

To me it means dressing in a style that does not clash with the expectations society has on a certain age group. In other words I'm 25 and dress semi gothic. When I was 18 full gothic was acceptable but as I get older a more refined look is needed to not give myself away. In our case age appropriate may or may not work to our advantage. You could "play the part" of an aging woman attempting to regain her youth and maybe avert the publics attention to that and away from the fact that you're actually a guy, or it could draw too much attention to you and you're back to being the guy in a dress which isn't at all a good feeling.

You could also expand the notion of age appropriate to venue choice as well. Being 25 and at a country western club with mostly 30+ while wearing your dreadfalls will surely get bad attention.

eluuzion
12-06-2010, 06:29 AM
I think it is one of those concepts you cannot "describe", but have to experience, to "get it".

For example, most of us can remember that first shocking realization that our self-image does not always match "reality". You know, when you are looking at those hot chicks, just about to chat em' up, when one turns around and refers to you as "Sir", like you could be their father...:heehee::D:heehee:

In my case, most people I know would agree I could be the poster child for the phrase "he just never grew up"...:heehee: Some of us grow up. Some of us just become "amusing"...like a slinky...completely useless, but fun to push down stairs...lol

If you are fine with people laughing at you, as well as with you and you can laugh at yourself...you can pretty much wear whatever you want, whenever you want, anywhere you want to...

:love:

KellyCD
12-06-2010, 07:00 AM
The way I look at it is, the older you get the less "sexy" ur supposed to be. Therefor if ur older and were something "sexy" that younger people wear.....then ur not "dressing your age".

Thank goodness those muffin top jeans have disappeared from our high school and college campuses...

Hey! I liked those!!! :)

Kathryn Martin
12-06-2010, 07:22 AM
I think Reine summed it up. I am currently having a debate over whether I can wear skinny jeans without trying to hard. Likewise, I cannot wear skirts that are too short, not because I don't have the thighs, but because it would look like a complete error in judgment on my part. Age appropriate does not at all mean frumpy or or grandma clothes. I tend to think that the older you get it goes from sexy to elegant or chic.

Julogden
12-06-2010, 09:11 AM
The way I look at it is, the older you get the less "sexy" ur supposed to be. Therefor if ur older and were something "sexy" that younger people wear.....then ur not "dressing your age". :)

I think you're right, although as we age, it's still OK to pull off "sexy", just usually not the often blatant sexiness of youth that usually involves revealing clothes and/or exposing a lot of flesh. As we age, ideally, sexy becomes something a bit more sophisticated, mature and subtle. But don't get me wrong, if one is young and have the body to pull it off, more power to you, just be careful to keep it tasteful if you're going out in public. Trashy is trashy, regardless of whether one is a GG or TG.:2c:

Reine and Danni Bear summed it really well.

Carol

linda allen
12-06-2010, 09:42 AM
I think there is "age appropriate" clothing just like there are "age appropriate" hairstyles and makeup. All you have to do is observe genetic women in everyday life to see what I'm talking about.

I see no point in repeating what's been posted above on the subject but I agree with most of it.

insearchofme
12-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I know that the dress for the 20 year old is not for me, but I'd love to wear it (in the privacy of my own home)!

Chari
12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Great points of view from previous posts! No matter what your age, you should always be comfortable and confident in whatever you wear! I wouldn't want to see my Grandmother wearing a prom dress with 5 inch spike heels from my 20 something Nieces closet, but I continually see 40yr old Mothers that dress & try to look like their teen daughters! IMO, there is beauty in every woman, at every age! She just has to find & display it properly.

Jilmac
12-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Sherry, I have to say you really keep your figure in great shape for any style, age or $$ appropriate. Since coming out I have lost some weight and am down to a size 10, (8 or 9 depending on manufacturer), but unlike you I don't wear a youthful mask and the wrinkles and pockmarks on my face (from too many years working outdoors), are there to stay. Needless to say, I look my age. Of course like many GGs I want to appear younger but still blend in when I'm out and about. The proper blend of clothing and accessories, and in many cases, hair style, can acheive that younger look but still blend in with the general populace.

I think my interpretation of age appropriate dress would be not wearing anything outlandish or flambouyant that would turn heads and call attention to myself. I have no desire to go out looking like Cher, Madonna, or Lady Gaga. I wouldn't wear a mini skirt and four inch stiletto heels to the drugstore, gas station, or mall. In other words, I don't want to be a senior citizen trying to look like a twenty-something.

Stephanie47
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
At my age with a gray wig I keep it to a nice dress hitting at two inches above the knee to mid calf. Short mini's do not look appealing on me, nor five inch heels. I keep those to three inches and maybe four if I have a 'party' dress on. If I was twenty years old again, and, at my weight at twenty, it would be an entirely different look-slender tall blond.

ReineD
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
As we age, ideally, sexy becomes something a bit more sophisticated, mature and subtle. But don't get me wrong, if one is young and have the body to pull it off, more power to you, just be careful to keep it tasteful if you're going out in public. Trashy is trashy, regardless of whether one is a GG or TG.

That's a good point, and also, young age is not a license to wear whatever she wants. If her body (GG or TG) is different that the girl in the pink dress above (if she doesn't have the height to weight proportion as shown and the legs that match), she shouldn't wear that dress, even if she is 20. Just like she shouldn't wear a mini bikini at the beach if she can stand to lose 30 or 50 lbs.

carhill2mn
12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
To me "age appropriate" means what would a well-dressed GW of my approximate age wear in similar circumstances. Ie.; mini skirts may not be "age appropriate" for a 55 plus year old woman going shopping.

sterling12
12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
OK, I'll take A Stab at it. Here's what I think is The "Implied Meaning," for members of The T-Community. "If your going to go out there and be on The Streets, please don't try to dress like A Teeny-Bop Stick Insect....unless you happen to be one!" "Your big belly hanging below your micro-mini, your desire to try and appear to be sixteen year old sex-worker, when you look like fifty and someone's Grandma, gets The Straight World in A Snit, and it makes it hard for T-Women who are trying to blend and live some sort of normal life!"

Now, those aren't necessarily my opinions. But, I have heard this from Gals who have come out of The Closet for just about forever! They will site some anecdotal account of somebody they saw at Walmart making a public spectacle of herself, and they DO NOT appreciate it.

No doubt I will get "hammered" for bringing this up. We will get a lot of Posts about "Everybody has The Right to wear what they want." Too True! I mearly brought this up because Sherry asked The Question. When they write around here about "Age Appropriate," I think that's The Negative Mind-Picture they have.

Peace and Love, Joanie

LitaKelley
12-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Does this mean I can't go out in plaid mini skirts with knee high socks and heels? :(

Suzette Muguet de Mai
12-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I guess it means no more jeans, Tunics and boots. I will have to buy the lilac slacks, over sized blouse and flat heeled shoes get the hair permed with a blue rinse. LIKE HELL I WILL.

LitaKelley
12-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I guess it means no more jeans, Tunics and boots. .

That's how I often dress too :) In LEI juniors 9 jeans, lol

Danni Bear
12-06-2010, 11:29 PM
I guess it means no more jeans, Tunics and boots. I will have to buy the lilac slacks, over sized blouse and flat heeled shoes get the hair permed with a blue rinse. LIKE HELL I WILL.

Tania,

That only comes after age 95. lol

Danni

or become a great great grandmother whichever comes first.

Jorja
12-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Wearing cloths that are age appropriate simply means wearing cloths that women your age would wear.Take a walk through any mall or shopping area. Look and see how women your age are dressed. How many 40+ year old women do you see wearing 5" miniskirts and stripper boots? Not very many I would hope. Now what you do within your own walls is a completely different story. What is so difficult about that?

docrobbysherry
12-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks for that, Joanie! (Pardon my editing!)

-------please don't try to dress like A Teeny-Bop Stick Insect....unless you happen to be one!" "Your big belly hanging below your micro-mini, your desire to try and appear to be sixteen year old sex-worker, when you look like fifty and someone's Grandma, gets The Straight World in A Snit, and it makes it hard for T-Women who are trying to blend and live some sort of normal life!"----------------------

----------------- When they write around here about "Age Appropriate," I think that's The Negative Mind-Picture they have.
Peace and Love, Joanie

It always seems to be the younger GGs I see looking sloppy, improperly fitted, and/or tasteless! I see older GG women out wearing nearly the SAME OUTFITS! But, they look and fit them tastefully.

Your post explains what I suspected! Some here often DON'T mean "age appropriate", but rather, "figure appropriate"!

vetobob9
12-07-2010, 02:38 AM
The way I look at it is, the older you get the less "sexy" ur supposed to be. Therefor if ur older and were something "sexy" that younger people wear.....then ur not "dressing your age".

Hey! I liked those!!! :)

That shows our society to be illogical. The group you don't want having sex and making babies, minors and young adults, would logically be the ones to be required to dress in a puritan manner and the ones who are supposed to engage in more sex and baby making (people in their 30's and 40's) should be the ones who dress provacatively.
We don't young people having sex yet we often require them to dress sexily. We sympathize when a women in her mid 30's wants a child, but we ban her from dressing in a manner that would be most likely to attract a mate.
And if anyone breaks these illogical taboos we criticize them.

On a side, in the class I took last year, I acquired the information that when women go to clubs, regardless of how old they are, their readiness to have children is big subconcious factor in how they dress for it. The people who made this statement did a studied blood and urine samples from female club goers. The women who showed more skin were proved to have a higher level of estrogen and other hormones related to the desire and ability to have children than did women who showed less skin.

ReineD
12-07-2010, 02:53 AM
On a side, in the class I took last year, I acquired the information that when women go to clubs, regardless of how old they are, their readiness to have children is big subconcious factor in how they dress for it. The people who made this statement did a studied blood and urine samples from female club goers. The women who showed more skin were proved to have a higher level of estrogen and other hormones related to the desire and ability to have children than did women who showed less skin.

Oh dear. No one told ME that! lol You should see what I wear when I go clubbing, and I'm past the baby-making stage.

BTW ... I didn't mention this before, but IMO all bets are off when it comes to club wear, especially the alternative clubs that my SO and I go to. It's survival of the fittest there, and I'll wear the minis and thigh high stiletto boots with the best of 'em, as long as I can get away with it! :D

But, put me in a club full of people my age, and I'd dress appropriately sexy (for my age). I'd consider leaving the thigh high boots and the fishnets at home. :)

Shananigans
12-07-2010, 03:11 AM
What one considers "Age appropriate" is subjective. But still, you've NEVER seen a woman wearing something and thought, "She's a little old for that?" For example, there's been a more recent trend of girls walking around with jeans that say something across the butt, like "Juicy" or "Princess." You wouldn't think it's strange to see a 60-year old wearing jeans that say "Princess?"

You've never noticed that girls in their teens and their 20's have a different style from older women? Btw, classier and more expensive are definitely not related concepts.

This classy outfit is $79.99 http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/velvet-flocked-bolero-and-dress/100754890/150

These purposely faded women's jeans, $396.00.

http://www.bluefly.com/Gucci-medium-blue-faded-straight-leg-jeans/cat870110/307537001/detail.fly?referer=ca_froogle&cm_mmc=ca_froogle-_-na-_-mens_denim-_-307537001&mr:trackingCode=7C261394-3443-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

One might say that youthful styles have a certain brashness, a certain "notice me" quality that tends to take advantage of a body that hasn't succumbed to age and a slowing metabolism. So when many see an older woman wearing these styles, they shake their head because they feel she should be past that stage by now.

I'm not saying I agree with that sentiment one way or the other, I am a mid-30's goth after all, but I do believe that's why other people say the things they do.

I completely agree with you. Another thing that really kind of bothers me are shirts with ironic/smartass sayings that men in their 30s-40s are wearing a lot now. Just quit it.

But, I've seen older women in very short, pleated skirts and heels. I find that disturbing. There are a few cases where it is okay to wear short, pleated skirts #1 You are a prostitute, #2 You are in the bedroom and are RPing a prostitute ;) #3 You are a very sad woman undergoing a divorce and are trying to prove to your ex that you "still have it", but you come off more as desperate and "lacking it"... Jus' Sayin'

I also find the number of older women with JUICY written across their ass disturbing. I'm 23 and I don't wear my Juicy track pants out and about. I feel a little goofy if I do.

That's what I think of when I think of Age Appropriate...clothing that is barely appropriate at any age really, but has some sort of odd window where it might be arguably appropriate.

NicoleScott
12-07-2010, 11:10 AM
When I make up and dress, I'm aiming for a look 30 years younger than I am. So I dress age appropriate for that age. Makes perfect sense to me.