PDA

View Full Version : seeking a therapist to seek self.

juligirl1984
12-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Hello my name is Julianna. I've been looking for a therapist to talk to but I live in a remote area unfortunaly. I can get over to the Boise Idaho area as the max distance of travel...

so here are some therapist that I found, was wondering if anyone has had any luck with him/her? any opinions PLEASE!!! are welcome...

Leslie Pederson, M.D.
Dr. Dave Sanford, Ph.D.
Nichole Jordan
Erin Garrison
Kelly Arendt
these last three seem to be new. They graduated within the past 1-5 years... all have some type of gender counseling experiance so they say... I also do not have insurance but I just want to try to get some issues with myself sorted first... not looking to go broke or anything just need someone to talk too about how I've been feeling for the past....well.... life? thanks for reading. and please any information will help out!!!!
thanks,
Julianna

Melody Moore
12-07-2010, 06:21 AM
A simple telephone call and chat with the receptionists for these therapist & asking a few simple questions will help you make
the best decision. Ask them has their therapist dealt with transgendered clients in the past, and if so how many & how often?

Gerrijerry
12-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Melody is correct you simply call and ask.

Kaitlyn Michele
12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree...do you have any fears about making that call???

I know its hard sometimes to make that phone call.. For me, i had a therapists number in my wallet for well over three years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... i just couldnt call up and say hello i have a gender issue...
when i finally made the call i felt like i was high as a kite..

Melody Moore
12-07-2010, 08:19 AM

I know its hard sometimes to make that phone call.. For me, i had a therapists number in my wallet for well over three years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... i just couldnt call up and say hello i have a gender issue...
There is absolutely no reason to have any fear about making these types of enquiries, because there is no obligation whatsoever
to even give your name so remember that you can be anonymous if you still feel uncomfortable with your gender issues. Once you
have the information you need and feel more comfortable, then you call up and make your appointment and give them your name.

The only thing now stopping you in finding yourself is yourself. Good Luck! :hugs:

Steph.TS
12-07-2010, 08:20 AM

How'd you work up the nerve to call?

Melody Moore
12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Read my last post (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?144689-seeking-a-therapist-to-seek-self.&p=2342924&viewfull=1#post2342924) :)

StaceyJane
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
When I was looking for a therapists I called and emailed a bunch of places. It seemed like nobody around here had any experience with gender issues.
Finally one lady I emailed called me and she said she had just finished her internship working with transgendered patients in New York City. Well that's a long way from here but it sounded like good training.
I have been seeing her for a while and really like her.

PortiaHoney
12-07-2010, 08:45 AM

The other alternative is to keep going around in circles. Make the call and break the cycle. You could always ride rocking horses instead.

Good luck.

Kaitlyn Michele
12-07-2010, 08:52 AM
It's easy for us to say just do it... only after i actually did it could i say that..

It wasnt that i worked up the nerve, it was that I was desperate and hopeless..i dont suggest waiting until that point LOL

One suggestion that I might have is to call after hours and leave a message...that way they call you back and you don't have all the built up anxiety..
i also think you should be ready to say "i am really nervous right now" when you start the conversation..if you have to write out an entire paragraph...you'd be surprised at how helpful feeling like you are reading can be when you are nervous..

there are lots of people like you (probably lurking around this forum!!) that want to make that call but can't find the nerve...so don't beat yourself up over it..

it's also correct to say that you don't have to give any information at all on the initial call.. you may be surprised at the likely warm welcome you get (and if you don't feel welcome, just say thnx but no thnx) be aware that some of the gender therapists that are considered high quality might be filled and also be aware that some folks travels hours to see a good therapist because it really it is worth it if you are the type that needs some help sorting yourself out..

Melody Moore
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Nichole Jordan
Erin Garrison
Kelly Arendt
these last three seem to be new. They graduated within the past 1-5 years.
I wanted to point out something important here - DO NOT let that be an excuse to call these pyschologist because a good friend of mine who's
partner is MtF Transsexual & is also my best friend has just graduated (with honours) from studying psychology at University and she told me
that studies into transgender issues was very much part of the curriculum. If anything the more recently qualified graduates might have some
of the most up-to-date information & skills to dealing with gender issues, whereas some of the old school pyschologist might be more bigoted.

juligirl1984
12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
The other alternative is to keep going around in circles. Make the call and break the cycle. You could always ride rocking horses instead.

Good luck.

I like my real horse thatnk you!!! jk. hey thank you a lot for all the responces. Yes I'm just going to call I've been reading their webpages and they seem to be very nice. price wise is 80-100 a hr? is that kind of in the spectrum? I'm going to call the one lady Nichole Jordan. I think she might be the bast to at least start the calling and asking part with...
thanks again!

juligirl1984
12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I wanted to point out something important here - DO NOT let that be an excuse to call these pyschologist because a good friend of mine who's
partner is MtF Transsexual & is also my best friend has just graduated (with honours) from studying psychology at University and she told me
that studies into transgender issues was very much part of the curriculum. If anything the more recently qualified graduates might have some
of the most up-to-date information & skills to dealing with gender issues, whereas some of the old school pyschologist might be more bigoted.

thank you! I was wondering about that one!! Im going to start by calling Nichole Jordan. they all three work in the same building I just found out so...

Hope
12-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I have no information about any of the folks you have listed, but everything else being equal, my first choice would be Dr. Dave Sanford, Ph.D, and my last would be anyone with an MD. You really need a psychologist, and not a psychiatrist.

juligirl1984
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
thank you Hope. I actually got some luck today... my Mom said she will help pay for someone for me to go talk too.. since I could not just up and tell her what was wrong... and she has been nagging me nonstop, knowing somthing is up with me... lol she tested me... was like lets go ride your horse around... I totally did not want to and I usually want to... so then she was like ok I know your upset about stuff.... I just said " could you help me just find someone proffessional to talk with"? and she was like, OK, lets look into it... so I'm on my way here soon to figure out this mess I call my life... it feels good, just wish i could tell her instead but I'm still just to embarrassed to mention it to her before I even know what is in my mind first about it all.

TxKimberly
12-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Hmm . . . if I ever found myself, I think I'd slap the snot outta me . . .

arbon
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Juliegirl

I travel to Boise for therapy, about 2 1/2 hrs one way. Yep, so much fun in the winter :-\

The person I go to is not on your list but if you still looking for name I can send it on pm.

Also there is a support group in boise if ever interested.

Laura_Stephens
12-31-2010, 07:07 AM
When you call, you might want to ask them if they can take insurance claims from your insurance carrier -- assuming that you have health insurance. Good luck!

juligirl1984
12-31-2010, 10:20 PM
thanks! yea no insurance here. might have an appointment on the 10th. just gotta brave up here and commit to it. I've got no Idea what Im scared of...
well here is a price on the hr. its 80-100 dollars. if that the average price? i've never had to pay for doctor visits since my step mom is a nurse but a therapist I've no Idea on.. just don't wanna be taken.

morgan51
12-31-2010, 11:23 PM
I am paying 75/hr and I got a deal according to my so. I feel its the best money I've spent on transition related things. You might speak to the support group if your first choice doesn't work out. Good for you for seeking some help with this.

Billijo49504
01-01-2011, 09:44 AM
My therapist told me to stand in front of a mirror, with my eyes closed and tell me what you see. I told him I see a very confused woman. Six visits later, he asked if she was still as confused, and I said No she is not as confused. Now just wondering what path to take, to get there...Billijo

arbon
01-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi juligirl

Most will be in that range but - time's are tough for therapist to, you can ask if they will negotiate the fee's, especially if you are paying cash.

You should be able to get it $60 - $75 - ask if they will be willing to accept that.

juligirl1984
01-01-2011, 07:31 PM
thanks! yea I'll ask her. lol times are tough for everyone except obama. he gets to fly around all over and play in Hawaii. while I'm under my house with a ****ing electric heater thawing out my pipes... just to take a damn shower!!!!!! lol sorry just a little frusterated today.