PDA

View Full Version : An Unpleasant Afternoon

Persephone
12-07-2010, 05:19 AM
We had to attend a funeral this afternoon. It is always sad to do that. Sad over memories of the person who passed on. Sad because you hurt for the spouse and family and friends whom you know are suffering.

There was a second level of sadness for me because I realized that I never really knew the man very well. I was (and am) a friend of his wife because we have both been members of a women's craft group for many years and because she and I are members of a congregational lady's auxiliary.

As a result, I only saw him occasionally and only for a few moments at a time. The times when our craft group met at their home he wandered through the room perhaps once per meeting, a strange presence among the gathered women, somewhat awkwardly saying "Hi" to everyone, and then moving on to his "man cave."

Once, when he was already very ill, we saw them at a restaurant, stopped by their table and chatted for a few minutes. Since I am her friend, I likely chatted more with her than with him.

From the eulogies and speeches at the funeral I found out that he had some common interests with my male self, something that I never knew. Perhaps he would have been friends with my guy self. Knowing that I really only saw him as "her husband" was a strange and sad feeling.

For me, there was another unpleasant consequence of the day. Like me, she is really affiliated with two congregations. Only I tend to be more "the guy" in one of them and am "en femme" in the other one (although some there remember me from my drab days).

Because of her dual connection, there was a considerable overlap in attendance at the funeral. Which left me unsure of myself, and guaranteed the sort of complexity that makes me very uncomfortable.

Certainly, it wasn't my place to disrupt any part of the solemnity of the funeral. The best I could do was moderate androgyny.

In addition to feeling sad for my friend and for the family, I also felt out of place and uncomfortable. I was a member of neither world, but particularly not a member of girl world.

I noticed that while some of the women greeted me somewhat comfortably, others seemed to act as if I wasn't there. Perhaps it was just that I had the same transparency, the same insignificance, that any male does in girl world, or perhaps it was a useful pretend for them, one that will best allow us to slip back into femme friendship when next we get together.

Either way, it was both sad . . . and lonely.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
12-07-2010, 05:59 AM
The ability to share is a very great gift. The satisfaction from being shared is a very nice feeling. The feeling of loss and inabilty to share hurts. I think it hurts because you have a desire to share but you feel you missed out on sharing something dear to you with another. One can share so much with another and feel fulfilled till one finds that what they have to share may not be taken as a gift from another. It may be taken as a requirement to fulfill some thing that they may take as foregranted. Then sharing becomes selfishness and any hurt penetrates deep.
Within a group of friends, family or being introduced to a group one automatically wishes acceptance, rejection hurts. Crossdressing brings with it extra baggage weighing me down with stress. I see both sides of an argument, suggestion, idea that promotes me to question before I suggest. I feel I need to be accepted by both sexes and contribute so I feel I shared. Sometimes I feel the need not to share, then I see the need for a contribution so I regret not having shared. The difference is death. When someone dies then it is final. If I could have suggested, talked or shared while they were alive I may have contributed. Once they are gone, I regret not having tried. Life sucks and acceptance too. I am not accepted by some, but others I am. For those who accept me for who I am, I love very dearly. To those who do not accept me for who I am, so what I have a lot more love to share. Maybe we feel we become selfish with who we share huh?

Loni
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
this is why funerals are such sad things. but they are for the living. as the dead do not really care. not trying to sound cruel here just not sure of the right words.
i just want all of my friends to hoist a drink (what ever they like to drink) for me and live there lives. and the state can just plop my ashes in a hole some place.
better yet save the spot for a plant and let my ashes be free in the wind.

Michelle 51
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Well a goods night sleep has a way of turning things around.Hope tomorrow is better for you.