PDA

View Full Version : Growing long nails!

SallyS
12-09-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm in a Sally phase at the moment and have started growing my nails and losing weight!
I feel quite feminine when I grow my nails but just how long can they grow before someone notices them when not in dress?

I have seen plenty of men who have long nails (quite often dirty!) but I do get a bit conscientious when they get a bit long on me.

just what is a good length to have nice 'girly' nails but not too long as to attract attention as a man?

Not the most important thing in the world but I thought I'd ask.

Karren H
12-09-2010, 06:48 AM
I keep mine between 1/4 and 1/2 inch till my wife yells at me... "You look like a girl". Duhhhh.. And take vitamin D supplements, use a nail strengthener and top coat of Orly Nails for Males. Nice matte finish. Had a guy in a baggle shop staring at them last week! Lol.

My nails Monday - http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/karrenhutton/nails/notd12072010b.jpg

Ohh and I have a bunch of tight fiting mechanics gloves I wear when working on anything around the house. Keeps my nails clean and undamaged!

Donna June
12-09-2010, 07:28 AM
If anyone says anything tell them you are a classical guitarist

Jenny Doolittle
12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
If anyone says anything tell them you are a classical guitarist

Or.... Just tell them you like them that way!

Starr
12-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I have always had long finger nails so know one pays a lot of attention to mine, however like you said a lot of men have dirty nails. The best way to keep anyone from saying anything is keeping them neat, clean and even. I was even ask once if I played guitar since my nails were so long. At that point they were a little over the top

Sarah Doepner
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I'll grow my nails until either my wife tells me they are too long or I end up breaking one or two and the best response is to start over. I'll grow them out a quarter inch, maybe longer if I'm getting ready for a few days of Sarah time. Karren has good advice for nail care, I like the Nails for Males product. Although it is a matte finish I find that repeatedly dipping my hands in pockets for keys, change, etc. will buff them to a shine after a day or two and work needs to be done at that time.

minalost
12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll grow my nails until either my wife tells me they are too long or I end up breaking one or two and the best response is to start over. I'll grow them out a quarter inch, maybe longer if I'm getting ready for a few days of Sarah time. Karren has good advice for nail care, I like the Nails for Males product. Although it is a matte finish I find that repeatedly dipping my hands in pockets for keys, change, etc. will buff them to a shine after a day or two and work needs to be done at that time.

Sarah,
I just started using the same "Nails for Males" product and I did notice that the longer I had it on, the brighter the gloss became - now I know why. Frankly though, I don't think it's much shinier than just buffing them good, and I've been doing that for months. Only had one coment in all that time, and I just brushed it off. No big deal.

Jolandi_za
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
My nails are usally long, I like them that way. When I come to the point where it makes me feel uncomfortable then I will cut them. I always keep them clean as no one like long dirty nails:

I sometimes wear high gloss clear nail polish, I have gotten a few compliments that my nails look good, one of two women who stared cause they new I had polish on my nails:)

I also like to paint my nails even if its only for fun while at home. I have several types of nail polish which I play around with. My wifes likes it cause when I play with my nails I do her nails
also which make her feel pampered.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
12-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I grow my nails long and I get a bit of criticism only now and then. I just explain that they are the gasket scraper for carbies, can't use the steel scraper on alloy. If I get a lil bad tempered I then say they are for picking the nose, can get deep to hook that boogie out. I get a lil upset when the odd person wants an explanation for your appearance when a simple "none of your business" does not suffice.

mjryo
12-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I've been keeping my nails a bit long for the past year, only once has someone at the office commented on how long they were. I just said they tend to grow fast. It's my wife who tells me when they've become too long and it's time for us to get a manicure! It's our fun time.

JamieTG
12-10-2010, 01:34 AM
I've had very long nails for over ten years now. I get a lot of compliments from women and they ask how I grow them so long without breaking. I've even had a few tell me I should be a hand model. I know its a dead giveaway but I'm pretty much out in the open anyway.
Jamie

Diane Smith
12-10-2010, 01:42 AM
My story is the same as JamieTG's -- I wear my nails long all the time and do get occasional comments and questions about them, almost always positive and genuinely curious. Only a few teenagers have ever said anything negative about them ("creepy" seems to be their favorite word). I am "out" enough that I don't try to hide my intentions in wearing them that way.

Jamie, I do like the rings in combination with your nails -- I've never gotten into that myself, but think I should.

- Diane

SallyS
12-10-2010, 04:47 AM
I keep mine between 1/4 and 1/2 inch till my wife yells at me... "You look like a girl". Duhhhh.. And take vitamin D supplements, use a nail strengthener and top coat of Orly Nails for Males. Nice matte finish. Had a guy in a baggle shop staring at them last week! Lol.

My nails Monday - http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/karrenhutton/nails/notd12072010b.jpg

Ohh and I have a bunch of tight fiting mechanics gloves I wear when working on anything around the house. Keeps my nails clean and undamaged!

The wife gets a bit jealous when I start to grow mine, as the seem to grow quick and strong. She will have a bit of dig at me if they get longer than hers:laughing:

I'm pretty sure in another week or so she'll be making a few comments! It's just one of those things that can always be a little bit of my female self, without being too obvious.

Loni
12-10-2010, 08:42 AM
i try to grow them just past the finger tip...but keep chipping or breaking off big chunks. and yes it is hard to keep them clean. but as of tonight i am lucky as only one broken.
have to be someplace saturday night, so it will be stick-on this week.

Jenny Doolittle
12-10-2010, 08:44 AM

I agree about the matt finish, My wife was nice and thought I might like the "Nails for Males" product, but like you I like the gloss finish on my nails. I am going to run out and get me some vitamin D supplement.