PDA

View Full Version : There is hope for the future, people are more accepting.

Jenny Gurl
12-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I surf a lot of different web sites, and some are fairly testosterone filled. Someone posted a statement today on one of them stating his friend had told him he was gay. I expected several rude and unacceptable comments to follow. What followed was 95 percent acceptance posts telling the guy to tell him it didn't matter. Several said they had friends who were gay and it made not difference. A few spoke of friends who were born in the wrong bodies and wanted a sex change. They were all overwhelmingly accepting of these people in their lives. I guess I didn't expect this kind of acceptance in a male dominated forum. After reading the posts in that string, I got the feeling that maybe the world is changing for the better after all.

Stephanie Anne
12-10-2010, 07:09 PM
My view is 33% accept, 33% don't care, and 30% don't know. That leaves 4% who have the intelligence of iceberg lettuce. You know, just enough to not kill themselves on a daily basis making their morning pop tart.

Kelly DeWinter
12-10-2010, 07:35 PM
....... That leaves 4% who have the intelligence of iceberg lettuce. You know, just enough to not kill themselves on a daily basis making their morning pop tart.

Burn ! That is sooooooooo funny !

Karren H
12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Too bad were on the back side of the curve and not moving as fast as they are... And at the current rate I won't be around to see it so I'm making my own reality bubble! Lol.

docrobbysherry
12-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Too bad were on the back side of the curve and not moving as fast as they are... And at the current rate I won't be around to see it so I'm making my own reality bubble! Lol.

And, u and the other "out there in public" girls ROCK, Karren! Someday, the closet doors WILL come down for ALL CDs! Girls like u r making it happen. However gradual the changes!
Unfortunately, Sherry and I will be gone by then, too! (A tear drops on my keyboard).

SuzanneBender
12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Jenny the world is a changing and I think it is changing for the better. Another source to site. The recent poll that was done by the DOD concening don't ask don't tell. The overwhelming response was no one cared and they believed or knew that they were serving next to homosexual soldiers, sailors and airmen. Now does this translate to those TG that serve or want to serve being able to stroll to formation in a dress. Not yet but it shows that tolerance comes among civil societies even if it is slow.

Unfortunately, the Senate and Congress just voted not to follow the desire of the Senior Leaders of the military, the soldiers, the public and even the President and not address Don't Ask Don't Tell in the current military appropriations bill. Stephanie Anne we now know where that 4% that is not as smart as a head of iceberg lettuce work.

Sorry for introducing politics into this thread, but I just had to vent.

Melinda G
12-10-2010, 10:26 PM
I have nothing against gays or lesbians. But I have always resented the media force feeding them to us at every opportunity. But it seems to have worked for them. Now we need a sitcom based on crossdressers, and not some clown like Dame Edna, to really gain some acceptance. I mean, fair is fair, right? :straightface:

Sarah Michelle
12-10-2010, 10:35 PM
We had a sitcom for crossdressers, Tom Hanks was one of the lead actors, forgotten the name of the show...
Perhaps there's another ancient here who remembers...

Cari
12-10-2010, 11:17 PM
The show was Bosum Buddies

But they werent CD's - Supposedly they were normal guys who were forced to dress to get an apartment not because they enjoyed it.

juno
12-10-2010, 11:31 PM
What we need is not shows about crossdressers, but just to include the occasional crossdresser as a regular part of normal shows. And, not just the really good looking and passable ones that have occasionally been on television already.

Chickhe
12-11-2010, 12:06 AM
A reality show filmed in Vancouver called 'Cupcake Girls' had a TS character named Cadence (I think). She was a bit of an airhead, but was just their as part of the cast of characters and some of her issues were highlighted in the show.

Melinda G
12-11-2010, 12:10 AM
And, not just the really good looking and passable ones that have occasionally been on television already.
With all due respct, I would rather see the good and passable ones rather then the Budweiser boys making us all look stupid.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
12-11-2010, 05:54 AM
In ones own view one has their own perspective of their view of the world. I can take a photo but to capture that perfect shot I need to take many from various angles with varying lighting is that one shot representative of me? I will not take a photo of me till I am happy with that shot. Is that shot a true representation of me? Lets face it, faking it is to take it and be happy with it. We all take a "good" photo and we all take that "repulsive" shot too for me the shot I like maybe a repulsive shot to another so is the "unification theory". To unify all is necessary to quantify and qualify that which dictates to some that which is acceptable to the majority. Here lies a dilemma, that which is acceptable by the majority maybe socially acceptable by the majority in a broader scale but within the local, social network maynot be accepted and hence vice versa. Because to some a representative of someone is not of the norm is it to be taken as the norm for the wider social group? Is it a standard procedure for some to say a crossdresser is "a+b+c?d/society acceptance = "known and accepted CD" or should it be a standard crossdresser is simply " the integration of society + acceptance" per the total social number who accept" + " the factors contributing to us to conform" minus " the average number of people who transition as a TG. Or should we accept nature as we all "sense"it.

tricia_uktv
12-11-2010, 06:00 AM
I go out in public all the time and am amazed at the level of acceptance I get. I pass much better now but still get the occasionally comment of which 9 out of ten are positive. What I find particularly encouraging is that it is the young who are most accepting. I think the corner is being tuned. Its just that its such a long corner.

jjjjohanne
12-11-2010, 09:52 AM
In the past month, I have gone out about five times in a skirt and blouse with my masculine head. People looked at me, then looked down, and then looked back to my face. And that was that. Some people tried to get more of a look. Only a few people moved close to their partner and spoke quietly. Then the partner would casually glance around the room. Teenagers reacted more than anyone, but mostly with shock and amusement. Only once was there a negative experience where some 15 year olds came into a line behind me and one girl laughed as if she could not contain the surprise and awkwardness. It's hard to explain a laugh. But after 30 seconds, it was over and they ignored me.

vikki2020
12-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I agree. Going out, I never have any problems, and I am treated very well, wherever I go. And these are regular businesses, not TG "friendly" places. I get read, especially up close, or while talking to someone, and people don't bat an eye. It is very encouraging! On other sites, when I tell someone that I'm transgendered, the acceptance is really good. If some aren't interested, I will get a polite no, and there might be a stupid comment here and there, but it is so rare. A few out of literally thousands. It just makes things a bit easier!:)

Crysten
12-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Burn ! That is sooooooooo funny !

But......I LIVE FOR MY MORNING POP TART!!! =( And I've only burnt the house down TWICE!!! =(

StacyCD
12-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Different parts of the country have very different levels of 'acceptance.' In San Francisco, it's hard to even get noticed except by some of the tourists. However, this is not true everywhere.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
And, u and the other "out there in public" girls ROCK, Karren! Someday, the closet doors WILL come down for ALL CDs! Girls like u r making it happen. However gradual the changes!
Unfortunately, Sherry and I will be gone by then, too! (A tear drops on my keyboard).

Gone perhaps, but the things you do right now are what matter for those that come behind us. We are all an inspiration to someone out there that might be on the fence wondering what to do next. We influence people and make a difference and EVERY little bit helps :)
*hugs*

Zara

Loni
12-12-2010, 01:00 PM
we as a group are our best friends and worst foes.

cross dressing is accepted in many more places then we even know about (on a personal level) but there will always be the hard core haters in this world.

as just being "allowed" to be our selves and do our daily thing, the true acceptance is a couple five or six generations away.
as said before about the gay's, well they are tolerated not accepted as much as many think, just getting the special laws for there side of the deal has hurt them more than helped in the eyes of many. at least were i work and lots of people i deal with.
it is good we as a group are working toward acceptance and not trying to just do a in your face thing. given time people do change there way of knowing, just too many still think to want to put on a dress and you are a male = kiddie rapist and pervert. but slowly they are dieing off of old age or learning this is not so.

a lot of the stereo types are falling down and others are seeing how we really are, as i was growing up with NO access to any info to want to have womens clothing on i was a gay and a pervert. kids today now better and have access to so much info we never did. there life's will be a bit easier, heck even having eye makeup on in school is ok for the boys now.

as long as we as a group keep up the good image we have a very good chance to be ourselves for life. and spread the word we are just people like you having a good life and enjoying it.

just kinda my 2 and 1/2 cents.

Loni

Davina-Alba
12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
In the past month, I have gone out about five times in a skirt and blouse with my masculine head. People looked at me, then looked down, and then looked back to my face. And that was that. Some people tried to get more of a look. Only a few people moved close to their partner and spoke quietly. Then the partner would casually glance around the room. Teenagers reacted more than anyone, but mostly with shock and amusement. Only once was there a negative experience where some 15 year olds came into a line behind me and one girl laughed as if she could not contain the surprise and awkwardness. It's hard to explain a laugh. But after 30 seconds, it was over and they ignored me.

That is encouraging. I'd like to go out wearing female attire but not trying to pass as a woman. I like wearing female clothes and though I always underdress I have seldom had the courage to actually go out in a skirt. Actually I did last night but at midnight walking the dogs it wasn't likley I'd be spotted.

The only time I have gone out in the last couple of years was when the office building I work in had a charity day and each business was invited to raise money by being sponsered. Our office gave staff three choices one of which was for men to come to work dressed as women. You can guess which one I chose. A few other guys took that choice - isn't it odd how many men will take an opportunity to put on short skirts, stockings and suspenders? I came dressed in a navy blue business suit with a pink blouse open just enough to give people a glimpse of a frilly white bra. Unlike the other guys I was complimented on looking classy (they just looked like tarts) but what they didn't know was that my suit had been custom made for me which was why it fitted so well.

I enjoyed it and it would be nice to do it again without having to hide behind a "charity" event. By the way I raised over £200 for a breast cancer charity.

Butterfly Bill
12-12-2010, 03:44 PM
This last Monday evening I was with the basses singing The Messiah in a United Methodist church in Muskogee, Oklahoma, wearing a long black dress and 2 inch heels. I had over it the jacket of a black skirt suit that I have that a lawyer could wear in a courtroom. The lady choirmaster didn't mind, she just told us all to wear black, and nobody else did, either You don't have to wait for the Year of Jubilo; you can do it right now.

ReineD
12-12-2010, 04:24 PM
My view is 33% accept, 33% don't care, and 30% don't know. That leaves 4% who have the intelligence of iceberg lettuce. You know, just enough to not kill themselves on a daily basis making their morning pop tart.

Bingo! lol. This is priceless! :)

I'd like to add that people as a whole are accomodating, if not accepting, and respectful ... as long as it is arm's length. I do think that most people acknowledge gender and sexual variance. Difficulties arise in some workplaces because of the taboo, and also in families. Parents might be afraid for the difficulties their TG kids might face. Or a wife might have no issues working with a TG, but has a hard time sleeping with one since this involves altering her notion of gender and perhaps to some degree, her own sexual preferences.

Also, I wonder how many friends are prepared to support in private or in principle, yet would not want to go out with their TG friends while dressed ... or might even distance themselves somewhat, all by being polite, of course.