PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining sanity in the land of fart jokes and fungus covered shower shoes.

SuzanneBender
12-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I am off to what Hemmingway called the, “Greatest adventure a man can ever experience”. Having been here and done that before I call it, “some adventure and a whole heap of tedium”. However, this time it is different. This time I am going into this having accepted many things about myself that I had spent a lifetime denying. In fact, that denial is probably one of the primary reasons that I set out in the wonderful career that has lead me on many adventures like this one.

The environment that I am living in is dripping with testosterone. I used to revel in this environment. It was the best way to prove to my biggest critic, me, that I was 100% grade A manly man. I took joy in male rituals that seem to bond a team of men going into dangerous environments. These rituals are often crude, crass, disgusting and, yes, even sometimes a little smelly. They are couched in an immature teenage humor that men never seem to outgrow and I have to admit still makes me giggle. Who can’t resist a a good fart joke?

We all have our lifelines that allow us to get through times like this. My main one is my wife and my children. I could never do what I do without their love and support. They are the source of my strength and motivation when things get tough. :love:
I also have smaller lifelines. I guess they are more like life preservers than a whole life line. They serve to provide little reminders of yourself while you are thousands of miles away from home. These reminders have taken a whole new twist as I have found acceptance with myself.

Needless to say, this is not the environment where you are going to get your girl on at least not in the way that many of us enjoy expressing ourselves. Situations like this teach you that it’s not always the dress that makes the woman. A nice dress and a cute pair of shoes never hurt, but when one marches off to war the little things do become special.

I groomed my brows the other night. It was the first time I have been excited about waxing and plucking in years. I shave my legs almost everyday not so much for the feeling or fighting the stubble, but more for just an activity to embrace. The other night walking back from the gym I stopped walking with a “mission” and took on the gate of a stroll. My shadow in the half light of a building looked like I felt as the breeze blew across my face and I pulled down my fleece watch cap. It was a perfect moment of being. Not necessarily femme, but just me. My music drives my fellow warriors crazy. I think I am the only “dude” here with Lady Gaga, Imogen Heap, Sara McLachlin, and Melissa Ethridge on the Ipod. Combine that with the fact that my Itunes also contains movie titles like Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Sabrina, the Notebook, Sex and the City, Mama Mia and not many of the guys are asking to copy my entertainment library.

My bags and boxes are full of little items that are the equivalent of femme huggie blankies. I have a “red” floor lamp that to my surprise wonderfully looks more pink then “red”. My makeup mirror is a necessity given the poor lighting in my room and a joy to sit in front of. I have enough facial products to last the whole year. 600 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets to snuggle up in bed with and all of this is just the start. To others my space may be a room in a rocket and mortar proof barracks but to me it is my boudoir. I have always been taught that you improve your position when you are there for any amount of time. In true form that is what I plan on doing, but I will do it with exceptional taste. Except for the pink lamp that is more symbolic than tasteful. I think when I return I will pitch a show to HGTV. Some possible names will be “Design on a mine” or “This Old Bunker”. How about “Project Jet Runway”?

Stay tuned I am sure their will be numerous updates concerning my adventures in Machoville.

Karren H
12-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Good luck Suzanne!!! I hate going to visit the in-laws for Christmas too!! :D

StaceyJane
12-14-2010, 11:48 PM
When in a war zone both the men and women look exactly alike after awhile. Everyone has that same dirty look wearing the same uniforms.
Some GG's look great no matter what but after 6 months in a combat zone the makeup is long gone as is the leg shaving.

Once when I was in Iraq some Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders visited. Everyone, including the GG's, was drooling over seeing what girls looked like. I think we all had forgotten.

Of course that was back in 2003 when things were rough. Nowdays it's probably manicures and pedicures for everyone. (including the guys)

NathalieX66
12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Suzanne, I am facing the same challenges as you. Hugs anyway. :hugs:

I am already in the midst of electrolysis & laser hair removal and growing my hair long ( I have no receding hairline, heh heh! ) and I'm as boringly hetero as it gets. After all the ribbing I got from my boss growing my hair long as of late, his wife said she loved my long hair at the office christmas party a couple of days ago.

Ain't no stopping me now.

I love my job, and honestly I can't complain about the money, or the retirement package. It's just the culture that I have to go against.

I wish I was gay instead of being transgendered, it would just make life simpler, perhaps even more inexpensive. I like being a guy, but I wish I could dress like a girl everyday without the social hangups. I'm trying as best as I can.

Sara Jessica
12-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Your words Suzanne bring such a smile to my face. "Being" is priceless and you prove that it's not the outer trappings that make us who we are, not to be defined by what we do but by what's in our heart. Still, it's the little things that bring comfort when surrounded by the "T" instead of the fairer hormone ;). May all of those little things bring you comfort just as your family brings you strength. I hope you write often and find it to be yet another place of comfort. We'll be here, hanging on your every word and ready to respond with words of encouragement of our own, hopefully to bring about more of those moments of being.

Tess
12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Above all, stay safe.

Michelle 51
12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Stay safe and well.Hope you can keep her out of sight for that long.

robyn1114
12-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Nicely written Suzanne, Stay warm and be safe.

Rachel Schaedel
12-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Coming from a Marine Corps backround and having two brothers and a father who are also Marines.....I know exactly how you feel. On the inside and out. Its sad that we have to settle for "the little things" to make us feel like the person we want to be. I am glad that you have found that middle ground. For a person in your position, it could be just as harmful inside the wire as it is outside it.

Either way, take care of yourself. Do your job and come home swiftly and safely.