PDA

View Full Version : Walk Different After You're Used to High Heels?

Stefia S
12-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Over the past year I've grown accustomed to walking in high heels, at first feeling soreness in my calves from the high heels, and my hips/thigh muscles from rolling my hips.

I went for a short hike this weekend in my usual men's trail shoes. and to my surprise found as I walked that I was rolling my hips much more than before, because it was more comfortable to do so going uphill and downhill. Is this my imagination or wishful thinking? Have others of you that have grown used to walking in high heels found the same?

katrinakat
12-15-2010, 03:12 AM
YEah, I love the way I feel after wearing heels for a night. I love the pain and the pleasure. I totally strut around like I still have them on! lol

Zoie
12-15-2010, 03:13 AM
I dont walk any different after.. Im actually very good walking in them.. Not saying I would want to run 2 miles but I have perfect balance and can walk just fine.. lots of practice I guess but I took to them like a duck to water.

;)

erickka
12-15-2010, 06:52 AM
I too adapt well going from steel toe work boots to dainty stiletto heels. It has just become second nature.

Wendy W
12-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I fortunately work in a secluded and restricted office space, so I take advantage of walking around in my heels. When I do have to go 'out' of the office and change back to my drab shoes, I notice that my steps are shorter and I tend to walk in a straighter line. My posture has improved too! Thanks for brining up the subject stefia.

WW

StarrOfDelite
12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Men tend to walk with with a rolling stride, shifting the weight from side to side, women in high heels have to walk in a straight line to maintain balance, so it may just have to do with the fact that wearing heels forces you to walk properly. I agree with the posture improvement comment, too. However, I'm sure we all know that Orthopedists and Podiatrists generally disapprove of high heels because 1. They tend to make the Achilles tendon more prone to being ruptured because it shortens with the foot pointing down, and 2. the pressure on the toes can lead to damage to both the toes and the bones of the foot. I was watching a program on Science Channel or NatGeo the other day about pain in sports, and one of the top 2 or 3 most painful sports activities is ballet because of dancing en pointe. Apparently a Ballerina has to have a pain threshold about the equivalent of an NFL linebacker.

Alice B
12-15-2010, 05:21 PM
I often catch myself walking more with the drive from my hips and my arms swinging more freely, with the elbows tucked in.

suchacutie
12-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Since I knew nothing about heels before starting to Xdress, I walked like a typical guy for 50+ years. Now that I walk in heels every day, and because I really want to keep my gender presentations very separate, I'm now completely concious of how I walk, and when I'm a guy, I sure walk like a guy.

Oh, okokokok...I sometimes switch over on purpose....just for fun :)

When no one is looking :)

tina

Suzette Muguet de Mai
12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I have no problem going from High heels to steel cap workboots. I can adjust the walk to suit but I have been doing this for so long now it comes as second nature. I do have a problem taking the heels off and putting on workboots.

makin' it real
12-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Apparently a Ballerina has to have a pain threshold about the equivalent of an NFL linebacker.

AND they have to keep their faces neutral, or even smile during it. I used to dance ballet, and I'd see the bloody, mangled feet these girls had just finished dancing hours on. I've heard of suffering for your art, but that is ridiculous!

I often catch myself walking more with the drive from my hips and my arms swinging more freely, with the elbows tucked in.

I've noticed that drive from my hips during my morning walks. I carry over some of the forward/backward hip movement from walking en femme (of course, even in drab, I'm still walking in womens clothes head to toe). It's an odd sort of 3-dimensional roll of the pelvis with each step that just feels right in heels. Now that it's slipping into my longer daily walks, I feel my hips and lower back loosening up. And I definitely get sore in some of the muscles in that area that didn't get sore before.

Diane Smith
12-16-2010, 01:21 PM
When I walk barefoot now, the heels of my feet barely ever touch the floor or support any weight. Wearing heels has shifted all the weight bearing forward to the balls of the foot, and the heel is just used to add some stability.

- Diane

Karren H
12-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I wish I had hips to roll!!! I don't walk any different after wearing heels... I walk different after wearing hockey skates... But not heels...

Amy Hepker
12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
I have always liked high heels. As a Male I used to wear cowboy boots all the time as I like the heels. When I was dressing 24/7 I had a paid of high heelded sandle type shoes that I would wear all the time. I do have a pair of Ladies Black felt tall boots with heels. Down here in Florida a lot of Ladies wear Black tall boots when it gets cold, like it has been the last few days.