PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Selection M or F??

Rochelle 5
09-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I am enrolled in a new health plan and need to select a new doctor. I have not been to the doctor's office in a long time and the last time I did I was not totally shaved as I am now. My wife says I should go to a male doctor, but I am not sure. I probably will be embarassed whether the doctor is male or female, but I am leaning toward going to a female doctor.

Can I get some opinion's or actual experiences you may have had with this. :confused:

Paula Rae
09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
What's this got to do with crossdressing?

Rochelle 5
09-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Well I would think that if I going to do a physical exam the doctor Male or Female would wonder why my body is totally shaved, and I would think that they would assume that I was a CD.

michelle19845
09-14-2005, 11:02 PM
i would go for a female doctor.they are always more understanding and gentle.the males are sarcastic and sometimes inconsiderate to anyone as far as i see it.

michelle

Stormgirl
09-14-2005, 11:13 PM
I agree with Michelle on this one.

Julie
09-15-2005, 02:24 AM
Well I would think that if I going to do a physical exam the doctor Male or Female would wonder why my body is totally shaved, and I would think that they would assume that I was a CD.

A doctor is there to diagnose, the fact that your body might be fully shaved means nothing to them (probably makes diagnosis easier). To them you are a patient who needs fixing, no more no less and that applies to both male or female doctors.

Julie

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-15-2005, 02:38 AM
A number of non-CD men shave, from cyclists to swimmers. Regardless, if they're professional it shouldn't make any difference. And they've undoubtedly seen far stranger things.

Remember, we know we're cross-dressers, so we're often hyper-self-conscious that we're giving ourselves away. But unless it's something obvious -- like seeing us with breast forms -- most people won't jump to that association. They may think something's odd, but people tend to fit things into their existing preconceptions -- and CDs aren't something that springs to mind.

Sigrid
09-15-2005, 02:52 AM
I'm with Julie and Darla on this one. They are professionals and should refrain from discussing, let alone passing judgement regarding your lifestyle unless, of course, it affects your health.

Having said that, my physician is female and I have always been very comfortable with her.

DanaJ
09-15-2005, 05:24 AM
i would go for a female doctor.they are always more understanding and gentle.the males are sarcastic and sometimes inconsiderate to anyone as far as i see it.

michelle Listen everyone - people are people. GGs are not automatically sweet and nice and understanding and gentle, and males are not automatically mean and gruff and rough. People are people - which means that everyone has a mix of good and bad.

For the record, I have had a female dentist and doctor. The dentist was the toughest and least gentle of all the dentists I have had. My female doctor is pretty much like all doctors these days, very rushed and hurried... and not all that gentle either, at least when I had my last physical - if you know what I mean :D

DanaJ

cdgirl
09-15-2005, 05:33 AM
going to doctor dressed enfemme i would love a cd doctor aswell :love: to examine me and then we could have fun afterwoods examining eachhother. :o

Tristen Cox
09-15-2005, 05:50 AM
To them you are a patient who needs fixing, no more no less and that applies to both male or female doctors.

Julie
Unless you go to Helga's house of pain :eek:

RachelDenise
09-15-2005, 07:40 AM
It shouldn't matter whether the doctor is male or female. They are there to help you, not to judge or make fun of you. If you want help with your health or issues regarding the fem part of you, then ask! If they are uncomfortable with that, then they should refer you to someone who can help.

Tamara Croft
09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I've had both male and female doctors..... some are nice, some don't know wth they are talking about, but I have noticed that when the locum doctor is in the surgery, they are mostly Pakinstan/Indiain doctors and tbh.... they seem to know what they are talking about. My doctor had to visit me last year as I was very ill. She said I'd be ok and take some paracetamol :rolleyes: obviously she didn't know wth she was talking about and 3 days later I was rushed to an emergency doctor who was a Pakistani. He told me that if I hadn't gone to see him when I did, I would of ended up in the hospital on the critical list from severe dehydration :( So it doesn't matter 'who' you choose really.....

Jonien
09-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I don't think it is a case of male or female but one that is good for you,,,

in the uk you have the right to intervew a prospective GP to be shure he or she is right for you,,,

but having sead that in the past I have a few docters all male and to be onist non of them had the time for me,,

my present GP is a female and a very good simpethetic understanding listens to you and most of all knows her job and I for one am very graitfull to her

MistyCD
09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Find an office that has both male and female doctors. Then ask if you can see either one. After you do, make up your mind as to which doctor you want to see the most.

Misty

Sharon
09-15-2005, 10:21 AM
The practice I use consists of both a male and female doctor, both of whom are very cool and very professional.

Lisa Golightly
09-15-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a simple rule of thumb when it comes to Doctors. I go to the one with the best reputation. My health is slightly more important than my frilly knickers :)

mand
09-15-2005, 10:51 AM
I have to say Rochelle it doesnt matter if they are male of female go for the one with the best reputation.

In the practice I go to there are three doctors, one woman and two men. Affraid I can't comment on the female doctor I've never seen her, one of the male doctors is an idiot so I stay well away from him, I simply refuse to see him.
However the remaining male doctor I see is really very good, when I told him about my TG feelings he was excellent, very symphatetic, and to my susprise he was also quite knowlegble regarding gender dysphoria.

love mannd xxx :)

michellejean
09-15-2005, 10:59 AM
thank you julie:::::: you said it all and you said it right.thank you,,,michellejean

Rachael Warren
09-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I would proberbly choose female but is irelevant to me anyway I avoid them however possible.

I suppose at the end of the day if I need one it's his or her skills that I require.

Anyway who's to say that a male doctor isn't a CDer himself?

Rachael. :)

Donna
09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
If the doctor asks why you shave tell him it was your wifes idea! She hate's harry men!

Donna

Ariel
09-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I prefer female doctors over male doctors. For the most part, they seem to be more pleasant, with the "gentler" things in life.

Hugs,
Ariel

Maddie Knight
09-15-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd go for a female doctor, but it should not matter.
Doctors are there to do job, not to judge, if you get derogatory comments you can always complain.

Sedona
09-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I've had good male and female doctors, so it shouldn't matter. I might avoid a man's man kind of guy though. My current doc is Indian (dot, not feather), and he's outstanding, best I've had. But, for the record, I'm rarely shaved, and go to see him as a guy exclusively. But, if I came in femme, I don't think he'd care at all.

Good luck!

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-16-2005, 05:19 PM
For what it's worth, I had to go see the doctor today for an ear infection. Neither he nor the nurse batted an eye at my shaved arms and legs.

Rochelle 5
09-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks all for the input. You are right I should be looking for the best qualified regardless of male or female an not worry about the shaving aspect.

Missy_Aust
09-16-2005, 09:08 PM
It shouldn't matter on the gender of the doctor, but his level of professionalism. I had to see a neuroimmunoligist on tuesday. I thought we were just getting results from a MRI scan I had done in June, so I was wearing pantyhose. Then he wanted to run some reflex tests and asked me to take off my shoes and socks. Neither he or the senior med student ther seemed to bat an eye lid when off came the sock to reveal my hosed feet.

MistyCD
09-16-2005, 09:18 PM
I prefer female doctors over male doctors. For the most part, they seem to be more pleasant, with the "gentler" things in life.

Hugs,
Ariel

Except when they have long fingernails and it's time for your yearly prostrate exam !!!!!!!!

LOL Misty

Tristen Cox
09-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Except when they have long fingernails and it's time for your yearly prostrate exam !!!!!!!!

LOL Misty
:eek: :eek: :eek: Thanks for that visual! :eek:

Priscilla1018
09-16-2005, 09:57 PM
EEEEWWW,I did'nt consider that when I chose my female doctor.

DawnRodgers
09-17-2005, 01:49 AM
I am totally shaved below the neck and have alwqays gone to male doctors and none has ever commented on this. I was even hospitalized for a couple of weeks once and no one mentioned it - doctor or nurse, I think you are more conscious of it than anyone. Go to ther best doctor you can find.
Dawn

Billie Jean
09-29-2005, 07:39 PM
As a nurse who has worked the ER, I asure you that if they are acting in a professional manner then they won't care if you are shaved or not. There have been many stranger things seen in the clinical setting than someone shaved. To them all that matters is that you are getting the treatment needed to make or keep you healthy. Besides HIPPA does not even permit your wife access to your condition or personal status without your permission. LOL Billie Jean

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-30-2005, 01:06 AM
As a nurse who has worked the ER, I asure you that if they are acting in a professional manner then they won't care if you are shaved or not.

I can attest to that. I had to go to Urgent Care tonight and not a single one of the half dozen doctors, nurses or techs I dealt with said a word about my shaved legs.

(I slipped and dislocated my knee and broke the knee cap. :eek: Fortunately, so far it's not really hurting badly, but I'll need to see the orthopedist in the morning to figure out whether a leg brace will be sufficient or whether I'll need surgery. Mainly I'm annoyed because either way I'll undoubtedly be on crutches for a while. :mad: )

Sharon
09-30-2005, 03:35 AM
So sorry to read about your injury, Darla. I hope you recover well and don't forget to buy yourself some extra-stretchy leggings. :) :hugs: