PDA

View Full Version : Mirror vs Picture

Emme
12-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Do other people see what we see in the mirror as we do our makeup and get ready, or do they see what we see in a picture.

Sophie86
12-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Neither. They get the full four dimensional effect.

I think I can pass okay in two dimensions, but a person who sees my figure in 3D, watches me move, and hears me speak, will read me like a book.

GaleWarning
12-20-2010, 11:35 PM
What we see in the mirror (our reflection) is not what people see when looking at us face on. So if our left is our more photogenic side, it will seem to us to be our right side, but not to other people.

docrobbysherry
12-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Neither. They get the full four dimensional effect.

I think I can pass okay in two dimensions, but a person who sees my figure in 3D, watches me move, and hears me speak, will read me like a book.

I agree completely, Sophie! The fact that I'm nearsited only prejudices MY view of Sherry that much more!

Chickhe
12-21-2010, 12:27 AM
The mirror is reveresed and has a filtter (your brain). The camera has interchangable filters expecially if you wait to view the image. And people have their own filters that make you look good or not and has not much to do with how you actually look.

eluuzion
12-21-2010, 05:54 AM
In a mirror we tend to see the image of ourselves that is in our mind. A photograph is what we actually look like and of course, the way we actually appear to others (real image). Plus we always see a reverse image of ourselves, unless it is a photo. Similar concept to hearing your recorded voice...which is your true voice...not the one distorted by your "skull acoustics".

That is actually a fun psychology mindbender...mirror imaging...try positioning two mirrors in close proximity such that you can see your "real" self...you know...a reflection of your reflection...:) Tilt it just right and you can see an endless stream of your own image lined up like a clone factory...pretty kewl...did that alot when I was a kid. (Two mirrors, perpendicular to each other with you in middle...try it...fun for the whole family...or psych ward...depending on where you live...hehehe

No wonder it is so hard to get to know ourselves...

Hey, I feel much more like I do now, than I did a little while ago...hehehehe:eek:

oh yea, I'm mentally stable, just ask me...:heehee:

:love:

Gerrijerry
12-21-2010, 06:02 AM
That is actually funny. Most other people don't care about how we are dressed. It is mostly in our minds that others are watching us. Passing or not passing is that really the point. Just be happy and wear what makes you happy.

MargaretJ
12-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I must have the most heavily rose tinted mirror in the world, as I always look great in it. As for photos, I can photoshop to my hearts content. However before my vanity gets the better of me, I saw myself on CCTV recently and that deflated the bubble a bit, and gave me a good lesson in reality. Although I think I can pass, I need to work on my posture a bit.

t-girlxsophie
12-21-2010, 08:48 AM
A photograph is what we actually look like and of course, the way we actually appear to others (real image).

Oh! I bloody hope not,took countless photos throughout the years,lucky if theres been a dozen ive saw fit to unleash on people,couldnt inflict any more on the poor,unsuspecting public:D

:hugs:Sophie

sherri
12-21-2010, 09:52 AM
One reason I don't have any more fem photos than I do is cuz I'm not not very photogenic as a gurl, imo. But mirrors are tricky too. For example, in the girls' bathroom at my favorite club, they have a huge mirror on one wall and every time I go in there I'm appalled at how hideous I look -- fat, bulky, terrible makeup, skin pores the size of moon craters, hopeless hair, awful profile etc etc. I have literally come out of there in a panic thinking I had to leave, but oddly, it never fails that on those same nights I get several comments about being so skinny, looking nice, love the new hair etc etc. Now to my eye mirrors are never all that friendly -- unless the light is really really low! -- but there's something about that mirror at the club, I don't know if it's the mirror or the angle or the florescent lighting or what, but it is brutal. Evil.

So I started using the men's bathroom. It's mirror is much smaller, and the light is a little dimmer. :-)

Tasha McIntyre
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't photograph too bad, and I'm happy with my image in the mirror but in the flesh I am a big ape really, and easily read.

Sarah Doepner
12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I too have that rose colored mirror and I've very picky about the photos I share. In 3D I'm much worse than flat and probably better in Black and White. In fact turn the lights off and I'm nearly pretty!

Chiana
12-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I am not sure is this is what the OP means, but actually, there is a technical reason why photographs may not look as good as what you see in the mirror. Cameras, even the most expensive pro models, cannot recreate the full color gamut that our eyes can detect. As a result, a photograph can actually be less flattering than a mirror or real life. Let me give you an example. Lets say your eye can detect color shifts from color 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 etc. A pretty good camera may only detect from 1 to 4 to 7 to 11 etc. So when that camera sees color 2, it knows it is a value more than 1 so it displays it as a 4 because that is all it is capable of doing. As a result, your very subtle skin tone variations become something less flattering and you may see somewhat blotchy looking skin in a photo. And you may see more "flaws". So when you look in a mirror and you don't see that skin tone variation that you saw in the photo, it isn't because of pink fog. In reality, you probably do look better than the photograph.

eluuzion
12-21-2010, 01:42 PM
But mirrors are tricky. For example, in the girls' bathroom at my favorite club, they have a huge mirror on one wall and every time I go in there I'm appalled at how hideous I look

... I don't know if it's the mirror or the angle or the florescent lighting or what, but it's brutal.

So I started using the men's bathroom. It's mirror is much smaller. :-)

You must have been sick the day they covered that in Mirrorology 101...
It is the mirror...there is a little trick to make you lose 20 lbs and have your legs long and slender again... Just reach out with both arms about 4-5 inches below waist level, put each hand on either side of the mirror edge...and PUSH!! You just got taller, thinner and your leggs are long...Kind of like being one of those liquid metal terminators that used to chase Arnold Swartznegger around...before he became governor and cracked down on robots, lol.

If you have one of those cheapo door mirrors you can buy for $8 bucks at a Wal-Mart or reasonable facsimile...just tighten two mirror clips (that are holding the side of the mirror) a little tighter than the other screws. It is like adjusting the proportions of your computer screen display, or a DIY funhouse mirror. I have a couple of antique wall mirrors...about 24" wide x 52" long. In one I look great except for my head, which looks like the squished head of "Chucky"... part "squishy" and part "lasagna" head...pretty bizarre...but entertaining.

sherri
12-21-2010, 10:31 PM
You must have been sick the day they covered that in Mirrorology 101...
It is the mirror...there is a little trick to make you lose 20 lbs and have your legs long and slender again... Just reach out with both arms about 4-5 inches below waist level, put each hand on either side of the mirror edge...and PUSH!! You just got taller, thinner and your leggs are long...Kind of like being one of those liquid metal terminators that used to chase Arnold Swartznegger around...before he became governor and cracked down on robots, lol.

If you have one of those cheapo door mirrors you can buy for $8 bucks at a Wal-Mart or reasonable facsimile...just tighten two mirror clips (that are holding the side of the mirror) a little tighter than the other screws. It is like adjusting the proportions of your computer screen display, or a DIY funhouse mirror. I have a couple of antique wall mirrors...about 24" wide x 52" long. In one I look great except for my head, which looks like the squished head of "Chucky"... part "squishy" and part "lasagna" head...pretty bizarre...but entertaining.lmao

silhouette
12-21-2010, 11:52 PM
That is actually funny. Most other people don't care about how we are dressed. It is mostly in our minds that others are watching us.

Depends on how you dress now doesn't it?
Some people dress to blend in, but personally I dress to stand out.

I'm 6'9" in heels so I've accepted the fact that all eyes will be on me when I walk into a room and now I embrace that and run with it!

Tima
12-22-2010, 12:06 AM
In a mirror we tend to see the image of ourselves that is in our mind. A photograph is what we actually look like and of course, the way we actually appear to others (real image). Plus we always see a reverse image of ourselves, unless it is a photo. Similar concept to hearing your recorded voice...which is your true voice...not the one distorted by your "skull acoustics".

Skull acoustics? COOL! I worship photographs, treat them like icons, and believe what they tell me. Much better than a mirror, I would say, for the reasons you mentioned. For the most part I like pictures of myself, but I can’t stand to hear my recorded voice!
:eek: