PDA

View Full Version : Coming out to your co-workers and family????????

Pinky188
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Im a mechanic. No one at my job knows about me and my "other" life. However, my Facebook profile pic is me as a girl. A pic from Halloween!!!! By now Im sure everyone gets the point. I have unfriended all of my co-workers though. Im wondering what my other friends and family are thinking. Also my friends of friends that I work with. That pic has been up for months now. What are my parents thinking? What about my girlfriends parents? No one is saying anything! Are they all ok with it? Or do they think its just a joke? Are they too freaked out to say anything???

Karren H
12-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I put a photo of a Zamboni on mine and no one freaked out and thought I was doing to start cleaning ice rinks!! Maybe no one has noticed or no one cares. It just a photo....

Nikki A.
12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
It's a Halloween photo and that's all they think it is. Unless u say somethig neither will anyone else. I'm in the car business too and I've dressed for Halloween 3 of the last six years (first time the girls in the office "coaxed" me and did my make-up). I get kidded sometimes but thats as far as it goes. Little do most of them know (one of the girls does) that I present as female year round in public.

sandra-leigh
12-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I came out last year to my mother and sister, but not to my more distant relatives. If I do come out to them, I'll probably write a couple of them privately first, and the rest aren't much more than acquaintances.

My co-workers is a different matter; with over 200 people working in my building, there would be a variety of reactions.

Already I wear borderline clothes at work, pushing the boundary. Judging from my appearance in the mirrors as I walk, chances are that some of them have thought "It looks like _______ has breasts?!": even though nothing is obvious when I am standing still, when I move the reflection of the light on my chest plays in such a way as to show some bust.

But that's not the same thing as "coming out".

celeste26
12-23-2010, 12:54 PM
I have no co-workers since I am retired/disabled and so that issue is really a non issue for me. My whole family knows about my cross dressing and it doesn't seem to bother them since they know I am really the same person no matter how I am dressed.

Dannigirl
12-23-2010, 01:27 PM
post the photo in this thread and we'll let ya know.

PretzelGirl
12-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Probably not a big deal. Anyone who has been friended has been seeing it since Halloween. They'll bug you for a new one eventually. Everyone keeps telling me to change my old one and I just don't get around to it. One thing is that if you don't want co-workers seeing your profile or wall, make sure you check your security settings. Some things are visible to strangers based on the default security settings.

juno
12-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Aren't your co-workers wondering why you unfriended them? Isn't that like saying "I don't like you", at least to the internet-friend addicts?

Halloween is a useful and popular first step. You can see how people respond, and say it was just for Halloween fun if things don't go well. Do your friends normally comment about stuff online? I have a Facebook account just so I can see things that other people put online and want me to see. I was never interested in online social network stuff until I found this site.