PDA

View Full Version : Hair removal - web resources and new thoughts

Alayna
09-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I wanted to amend what I said earlier about my hair removal experiences:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14050 (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14050)

I said that I have a huge problem with ingrown hairs, and that the best method for me was a mechanical epilator. Well, after looking at some forum responses in hairtell.com, I found that I'm not the only one with this problem, and it seems to be caused by the epilator itself. I've known that by plucking out a hair, it frequently damages the root - supposedly this is why the hair gets finer as you pluck but I'm still skeptical about that. What I didn't know is that not only is the root damaged, but it's growth structure changes. As a result, it causes the hair to grow in different directions - frequently in ways that makes it difficult for the hair to clear the skin, thus resulting in lots of ingrowns.

It also accounts for why you can have 2 or even 3 hairs growing out of the same follicle. This is what switched my lightbulb on, as I have tons of these all over my body, and they are actually "split" hairs. Instead of growing 1 large hair, the damaged follicle grows multiple smaller hairs at the same time!

My experience was similar to others that posted: I had great results at first, but as time wore on my skin began to look worse and the red spots got worse over time, but more importantly in key problem areas such as the side of the calves and the inner and outer thighs.

Anyway, I've decided to toss my epilator in the drawer again (don't know why I just don't trash it). I'm going to start shaving again, and bear the agony for as long as it takes. Then, based on a lot of recommendations, I'm going to try the "One Touch" home electrolysis kit. It's $30 and cheaply designed so it will break eventually, but I think it's worth a try. It seems to be the only non-professional unit worth its salt - but again, it's cheap and fragile. Because the degrading effect electricity has on metal, it eventually wears the machine down. There are ways to modify and strengthen it though. One woman said she has to replace hers 3 times a year - but from a purely financial view, $120 in replaced units vs. multiple $1000s seems like a pretty good deal to me.

It's going to take a while, probably years before my skin totally clears up. After I let my hair grow out again last time (before I cleared it all off 2 months ago) I still had some visible spots. I'm not worried about any health aspects though, I know that my body will eventually push the hair out after it finishes the cycle. Ever had a flaky area over a red spot? If it's a hair and you scrape at it with a tweezers you'll expose the end - and when you pull at it you'll pull out an inch-long (or longer) hair that's all curled up! Man those are satisfying to pull:rotflmao: it feels like my skin is taking a huge breath of fresh air!

Anyone else interested in electrolysis who can't afford it I think should try this under 2 conditions: 1 - they are willing to invest a lot of time and practice in this endeavor - it's difficult to learn the proper technique. 2 - they recognize that for this to work, in addition to tons of practice, they must put a lot of effort into researching and understanding how electrolysis works and its hazards - especially with home methods.

This forum http://www.hairtell.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
is a great resource for hair removal and it's where I found all this info.

Some info on electrolysis technique and how to build your own machine - it's easier and safer than it seems at first!
http://www.geocities.com/hairfreethere/

about the One Touch
http://www.hairfacts.com/tips/diyelectro/diyelecbuy.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/folica/onetouchomel.html

Some notes on home electrolysis and one trasexual's detailed experiences
http://www.tsroadmap.com/physical/hair/zapdiy.html

If you epilate, wax, pluck, laser, or electrolysis, make sure you know how the hair cycle works, and about the structure of the hair itself. Pay attention to the difference between telegen, catagen and anagen cycles - they're crucial to understanding hair removal.
http://www.ectodermaldysplasia.org/text/xrts7.htm
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_index.htm

If anyone else has tried the one-touch, please share your experiences with us:thumbsup: Hope this helps

Sedona
09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the post. I have a scientific background, and I always like things like this (growth cycle of hair).

Cheers,

Sedona

And, I occasionally Nair or shave, and very occasionally (when the GF will allow) wax. Never had too many problems with ingrowns.

Helana
09-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Alayna

I had the same reaction as you. The more I used my epilator the worse my skin got with red rashes and lots of ingrown and split hairs. I perservered for a while believing things would get better and the hairs finer but they never did.

I also read on another site a doctor stating that he believed constant epilating would result in increased hair growth as the body reacts to the constant tweezing/damage to the hair folicle by increasing the blood supply to the root to effect repairs. Increased blood supply means stronger hair.

I also have the One Touch kit. It does work but is slow to use. Unless you are very determined then it is really only good as a touch up tool for small areas. I am using it to clean up after my laser treatements as there are always little areas the laser missed.

Alayna
09-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks Helana, that sounds like what I'd expect from one.:thumbsup:

Another update, I've been looking for a lotion with AHA (alpha hydroxy) for years now and was convinced it didn't exist. Well today at Kmart I found that Vaseline makes some. I think this can be a great product for dealing with and preventing surface ingrowns (won't do squat for the deep ones of course).

Alpha Hydroxy is an acid that exfoliates the top layer of skin by eating away at it, just as all good little acids should:rolleyes:. If been using (very half-assedly) an AHA by Neutrogena, but have been very judicious with it and over-cautious. This product is made with 2% salicylic acid AHA, and is really for treating facial acne. 2% is a lot - enough to really dry out the skin and/or leave rashes. I've been too cautious to get to that point though, so it really hasn't worked for me - of course even if it did it's $8 for a 1oz tube!

Anyway, this Vaseline is specifically a body lotion. It comes in a 4oz tube and costs about $5. It doesn't use salicylic acid which seems to be the AHA norm, but uses a combo of weaker acids like lactic/stearic acid. I Don't know much about AHA or other acids, but I feel pretty confident that it's safe to use unless your'e taking Acutaine or other acne medicine. You also have to watch for sunburns (as per directions). It doesn't say so, but I'd be cautious of waxing when using this too, even though it's mild (all waxes warn against waxing while on any acne medicine or AHA's)

Don't know if anyone else has been looking for something like this, but I was excited to find it - my mom, sister (has same problem) and I went to 5 beauty stores one day looking for this and all the sales clerks had no idea what we were talking about!

Anyway, if anyone else is looking try Kmart. It's called Vaseline Dual Action Alpha Hydroxy. PLU# 3 05212 00400 7

Tamara Croft
09-17-2005, 05:28 AM
I found that I'm not the only one with this problem, and it seems to be caused by the epilator itself. I've known that by plucking out a hair, it frequently damages the root - supposedly this is why the hair gets finer as you pluck but I'm still skeptical about that.I have an epilator and I have to agree that it does indeed cause more ingrowing hairs than waxing. I have used mine twice and the ingrowing hairs on my upper legs was unbelievable. Plucking out hairs does indeed damage the root and eventually they do stop growing. The reason they 'supposedly' look finer is because when they grow back they grow with a point on the end, where as when you shave the hairs off, they grow back with a blunt end, thus making them look thicker. When you wax hairs off, you wax them all off in the same direction, against the hair growth. But with the epilator, this isn't always the case. If a hair is pulled out in a certain direction, you will find this hair will then grow back in the direction it was pulled out. If this was the opposite way the hair would normally grow, this is when ingrowing hairs start to form.

As a Beauty Therapist, I do know all the right and wrong things to do when it comes to shaving, epilation, waxing etc and I do believe that these are only suited to certain people. With some people, it doesn't matter how much you follow the guidelines set out for a particular product/treatment, sometimes it just isn't for you.

My recommendation on epilators is a huge :thumbsdn:

Alayna
09-17-2005, 05:39 AM
yeah, me too. And I used to give them a huge:thumbsup:. Any idea as to why I could only get mine to work in the wrong direction? i.e. going in the direction of hair growth, as opposed to opposite with waxing? It would always break the hairs if I did it that way. Brittle hair maybe (poor diet, genetics)?

Tamara Croft
09-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Hairs normally break because they are being pulled out wrong. This I found was very common with the epilator. But yes it could be they were brittle due to many reasons, diet, non use of creams (skin/roots need nutrition too) or just age.

Vaerise
09-17-2005, 09:46 AM
I cant imagine how costly it is to have electrolysis done on our legs....
What do GGs use to keep their arms and legs hair free? :confused:

Anne Charlotte
09-17-2005, 10:34 AM
OUCH

I actually bled from the hair follicles....I was very smooth for days and days afterwards, but the pain !!!