PDA

View Full Version : Hair compliment

vetobob9
12-26-2010, 01:52 AM
I started growing my hair out last year while I was still studying for my BA. When I moved, my sister, dad, and brother demanded I shave it off. They wanted me to have a shaved head because that's what the guys they hand out with do.
I refused because, since the age of 18 I have shaved my head. I just 37 two weeks ago and in the one year I have been growing it, my hair is barely now starting to reach my shoulders.
Yesterday, we went to an old friend's house from high school. She complimented me on my hair and said it made me look more conservative.
It was nice that, for once, someone was accepting of my choice, instead of demanding that I shave it so as to blend in gang bangers.

I want to grow it out before I start getting the greys. I just need to figure out what to do with it when I am able to get work.
Does anyone have male coworkers with long hair? What do they do? And what type of work are they doing? I am sure the type of work you affects what you do with your hair in the work place.

sandra-leigh
12-26-2010, 02:27 AM
I work in the sciences. I have the longest "male" hair, about 4 inches below my shoulders at the moment. Two or three other guys have "long hair". It isn't a problem where I work, as long as it doesn't interfere with safety (or get in the experiments.)

I did have the senior security guard make remarks about the length of my hair, and eventually say outright "Get your hair cut". I swung around and told him that enough was enough and that the length of my hair was not his business. I then reported him to Human Resources, who agreed completely, but directed me to someone else because the guards are contractors. I spoke to the person who manages the contractors and he agreed with me completely and promised he would talk to the security guard.

I really think that at 37, you are well old enough to decide the length of your hair. It is not required that the friends of your siblings or your parents like you.

Christinedreamer
12-26-2010, 03:35 AM
You could also tell the rent a cop that YOU are the one doing the high tech stuff and he is easily replaceable.

Cari
12-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Manufacturing : Would wear it in a ponytail and stick it under my collar in my shirt when working around moving machinery. You really dont want to get it stuck in a set of gears. For welding I had a flap on the back on the helmet.

Just my opinion but growing long is something you should do when young. May not be able to do it when you are older as it tends to fall out and turn funny colors. :-)

Roberta Marie
12-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm one of those long haired, old farts that Cari is talking about. ; ) I started growing my hair out a couple of years ago in my early 50's, and although the front is receding and it's starting to get a bit grey here and there, it's now just below my shoulders. I have a hair piece that clips into my natural hair to help cover the thinner spots when I'm dressed.

Other than a few comments from relatives that were more curiosity than anything, most understand that it's my hair, and I will have it any length I please. My wife just tells everyone that I'm a closeted hippie. ; )

In my former career as a firefighter, I could never have had long hair, although there were times that I pushed the envelope. Now I work for a company that provides sound for concerts and shows, as well as doing some installation work. The feeling is, as long as I do my job well, I can wear my hair however I want, although it's almost always in a ponytail.

In the mornings when I'm shaving and getting ready for work, I twist my hair up on top of my head and use one of those claw looking clips in it to keep it out of my face. At one show this past summer, a rock concert, I was in a bit of a rush to get out of the house. Late in the morning, after setting up the sound system, I introduced myself to one of the roadies that was sporting an IAFF patch on his hat and learned that he is a firefighter. After a short conversation I took a break to go to the bathroom and re do my hair, which after working hard the sides start to pull out of the ponytail and get in my face. It wasn't until I looked in the mirror that I realized that my hair was still in a small bun on top of my head, held there by a plastic claw. No one, not even the roadie firefighter, said a word.

At another show I ran into a former colleague from my old shift and his wife. His wife stood there and looked at me for a few minutes, then her eyes got big and her jaw dropped, and she hollered, "Oh my God! I didn't even recognize you. You look so much younger. I love the hair!" She threw her arms around me and hugged the dickens out of me.

Bobbi

linda allen
12-26-2010, 09:18 AM
........ Now I work for a company that provides sound for concerts and shows, as well as doing some installation work. The feeling is, as long as I do my job well, I can wear my hair however I want, although it's almost always in a ponytail.

In the mornings when I'm shaving and getting ready for work, I twist my hair up on top of my head and use one of those claw looking clips in it to keep it out of my face. At one show this past summer, a rock concert, I was in a bit of a rush to get out of the house. Late in the morning, after setting up the sound system, I introduced myself to one of the roadies that was sporting an IAFF patch on his hat and learned that he is a firefighter. After a short conversation I took a break to go to the bathroom and re do my hair, which after working hard the sides start to pull out of the ponytail and get in my face. It wasn't until I looked in the mirror that I realized that my hair was still in a small bun on top of my head, held there by a plastic claw. No one, not even the roadie firefighter, said a word.

At another show I ran into a former colleague from my old shift and his wife. His wife stood there and looked at me for a few minutes, then her eyes got big and her jaw dropped, and she hollered, "Oh my God! I didn't even recognize you. You look so much younger. I love the hair!" She threw her arms around me and hugged the dickens out of me.

Bobbi

If you do sound for rock concerts, you can look a "strange" as you wish. People might even expect it.

PretzelGirl
12-26-2010, 09:43 AM
I would think that safety and maybe health concerns dictates a lot of how you can wear long hair in the work place. Health because if you are in food services, you would need to tie it up and maybe put it in a net. Safety for machinery, keeping it out of your eyes where it impairs your vision, etc...

I work in a manufacturing environment. We have electrical and mechanical engineers with it tied back part for safety and part of it possibly can be for image. We have quality people who have it both tied back and let down. But look at it this way. Outside of what image you want to project, look at the women around you and see who has it tied back and who has it untied and styled. That should dictate your options.

BTW, I am one who ties it back. For me it is part safety and part of it being that it is how I want to present in guy mode to set a difference in how I look in femme mode.

Annaliese2010
12-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I did have the senior security guard make remarks about the length of my hair, and eventually say outright "Get your hair cut". I swung around and told him that enough was enough and that the length of my hair was not his business...You were being very adult about it & handled it right. I woulda snickered for a quick sec in a most disdainful manner then casually shot back "blow me, fc face".

Abbyru1
12-26-2010, 05:06 PM
I wish I had hair that long. Thin and grey. Sucks.

vetobob9
12-27-2010, 01:36 AM
hair grows slower when you are older.

To prevent it falling out you have to take care of it.

Jennifer in CO
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Lets see...the only reason it isn't any longer is nature is shortening it. The only reason it has been shorter was when I lived as a woman back in the early 80's long hair wasn't in style (down the back anyway). When I came back to the dark side I started letting it grow again. Up till about 5 years ago it was very thick when braided (you could just barly touch thumb to index finger around it) which is how it says 99% of the time and touched my belt. Now, its a lot thinner and is bra-strap length when braided. Not sure what I'm going to do if this continues...

Jenn

sandra-leigh
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Jenn, are the individual hairs thinner, or is your hair getting sparser? If your hair is getting sparser, there are some treatments for that, and some shampoos (e.g., Dr. Murad's) that sometimes help. One of the drugs, finasterode or some name like that, is also an anti-androgen.

Jennifer in CO
12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Sandra...sparser...stress will do it to ya and the only cure is to remove the stress...maybe next year. House burned down 2 years ago, took a Federally mandated 40-50% cut in pay last year (thank you Mr O bama) and just struggling to make it through all of it this year. The cut in pay got repealed but it wont happen till April 2011 so if I make it to then we just might be ok...

Jenn

lingerieLiz
12-27-2010, 09:48 PM
While I have short hair I have had employees with all lengths and colors. Both male and female in the high tech world. Never had a customer complain as we fixed their problem.

JohnH
12-27-2010, 10:06 PM
did[/I] have the senior security guard make remarks about the length of my hair, and eventually say outright "Get your hair cut". I swung around and told him that enough was enough and that the length of my hair was not his business.

The nerve of that guard! I think I would have been tempted to say what you said in a loud enough voice so the whole building could hear me.

Speaking about grey hair - my hair curiously enough has taken on a sort of blond color. It used to be a reddish brown. My hair covers my ears and the back is shoulder length.

Johanna

sandra-leigh
12-27-2010, 11:09 PM
The nerve of that guard! I think I would have been tempted to say what you said in a loud enough voice so the whole building could hear me.

Everyone nearby heard, including his supervisor (he is semi-retired so he is no longer the supervisor of the guards.) Besides saying that it was none of his business, I also said specifically that he was not to make remarks about my hair ever again.

We do generally get along quite well with our security guards. Sometimes it takes a while to break a new one in, to get them to stop being sticklers on the rules, but we wear them down with pastries. :heehee:

I acted as I did not to "put him in his place" as being "only a security guard": I acted because he overstepped my rights. If it had been any of the people in the authority step above me, I would have done the same thing, publicly.

kimdl93
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
The guys I've known, self included, with longer hair generally fell into three groups - pony tail , the shaggy/unkempt, and shaped/styled. I lean towards the latter. I think it all depends on the situation. In casual work environements anything will do, but in more professional settings, the latter seems more appropriate.