PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Shopping and bumping into a neighbor!

Marybeth_1966
12-27-2010, 01:24 AM
I do love shopping for myself as well as for my wife. I am married to a woman that hates to shop and whose wardrobe is built mostly from gifts from me. I'm not sure how this came to be? Maybe I was so accommodating or she just liked that I had a strong fashion sense and knew what looked good on her.

Last weekend I was doing some Christmas shopping and found a really pretty black jumper or what some call a pedifore. Basically, a sheath dress that you would wear a blouse under. This style is not my wife's. She likes more hippy like clothing than preppy wear. It was for me! I love professional wear. The jumper was a very pretty black fabric, lined with a simple and modest neckline that would be too conservative for my wife--I had already purchased her two jackets that I know that she would love.

So, I was checking out and who comes up behind me but one of her friends from the neighborhood. This woman has a very strong sense of style and likes to wear 60's theme clothing that I find so appealing! She looks like a blonde agent 99 or a starlet from mad men and has such a very pretty style. I often envy what she wears to parties as the type of things that I would like to wear. She is also so approachable that I often wanted to tell her about my own persona but remained enough sense to not have that conversation.

So up comes Liz behind me in the checkout line of a department store--I am holding a pretty black jumper in my size-two dress sizes larger than my pretty wife and a white silk blouse to wear under it. To make matters worse, she is with her 14 year old daughter. She almost seems hesitant to talk to me at first--maybe it was that I appeared uncomfortable. She then complements me on my selection and says that she also looked at the jumper but has one similar--including the blouse. She then adds that, just as a good friend, she was not sure that the outfit would be my wife's style--maybe too conservative. I am beat read trying to hid the tag and the size but realize that she probably also knows that the jumper is probably too big for my wife. I make up some excuse that I had been shopping for hours and found a 2 coats for my wife that I quickly show to her--already purchased--to establish size. She offers to help me shop for my wife but all I want to do is pay for my--yes--my jumper and run. I tell her I am worn out and will bag this outfit and then look into my wife's closet for more ideas. I thought about putting the jumper back with the blouse and thanking her for her advice but I so wanted that jumper! It was my xmas present. I'm pretty sure that she saw the size--tag or when they hung it on the pole to bag and realized that it was not my wife's size. I actually felt a thrill that she saw and complemented me on the outfit that I bought--her approval--that was also acknowledged by the SA. If she was not with her daughter, I would have made a joke that it was not for my wife but me. I would have liked to see where that conversation would have gone. With my jumper bagged I left and thought that I will have to clue in my bride who knows about my fascination with fashion. I left her and went to the shoe department and saw her over my shoulder as I was examining the most wonderful knee high suede boots with a 3 inch heal--taller than my wife would have every worn. Do you think she knew? I was so nervous--more than I should have been. I was shaking like leaf! I think I was trying to give her clues subconsciously. I do love my jumper and new blouse--I think my neighbor would approve is she saw the outfit on me!

Happy Holidays Shopping to all! Hope you don’t mind me relaying my experience!

Diane Smith
12-27-2010, 02:41 AM
I think Liz has it completely figured out. You two are probably going to be having a long conversation soon. From what you say, I think that may work out just fine, and you'll have a new fashion consultant and shopping buddy.

- Diane

linda allen
12-27-2010, 09:43 AM
You might consider shopping a litle further from home the next time.

Stephanie Miller
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
What comes to mid first is .. what is your wife going to say to Liz after Christmas when Liz mentions to your wife that she saw you pick out "her" Christmas present and can't wait to see it on her. :eek:

Loni
12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
remember the 60 mile rule when shopping.

or for those on the east coast..the next state over.

AllieSF
12-27-2010, 04:08 PM
That is one of my hidden fears, running into someone I know who also knows my friends and/or family members while I am shopping for woman's clothing and accessories. The worst case scenario would be when I am paying for them, or coming out of the changing room with a load of female stuff. It sounds as if you handled it about as well as could be expected. The lucky part is that you have your wife on your side and that you keep her informed. Please do tell if you get any feedback from your neighbor. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle 51
12-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Well you shared the story.Now where is our picture of you in the jumper girl?????????

PretzelGirl
12-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey, I'm with Michelle! Pics! :heehee:

I think this is a skill we need, the shopping line tap dance. It happens and I have heard of those who go far from home having to do it. Sometimes it actually saves you. The other day I was shopping with my wife and daughter about 3 miles from home. Once in line my daughter yells out "Hi <what's his name>!" to a guy about 20 feet away. My reaction? I just turn my back to him as she leaves the line and says "I am here with my parents". :facepalm: Well, they don't come over to us and we check out and then my daughter told me that our cashier was a friend of her's. It all works out in the end...

Nice story Mary Beth and you probably did well. Unless you know someone is particularly nosey, I don't see them reading the sizes of items in your hands.

kimdl93
12-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Honestly, I doubt that she noticed the size or made the connection. I don't mean to be dismissive...just want to suggest that many of us yearn for acceptance and we may read more into a casual encounter or conversation than is really there. If you really want to come out to your neighbor, that's fine, but I'd make sure first that your wife was ok with it.