PDA

View Full Version : A hairy question, going bald and crossdressing

JiveTurkeyOnRye
12-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Question for CD'ers who's male selves are bald or balding. Do you find being a crossdresser helps you be more ok with it because of the advantages in having short or no hair when wearing wigs?

As I'm now a year away from 30 I'm of course starting to see the beginning developments of hair loss, mostly a thin patch on the back of my head, my hairline seems to be still intact for now, but I feel it is only a matter of time.

Tina B.
12-28-2010, 09:04 AM
No real advantage, I wear mine long, although there is really nothing up on the top. But because it is thin, and so little of it, it tucks up under the wig easy enough.
Tina B.

Gina X
12-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't have a lot of natural hair left, the patch on the crown is spreading and it has receded quite a bit so I now have it cut to a grade 3.5 all over it looks quite modern in homme mode and makes it easier to fit wigs in femme mode, and when you only have a little it is much easier to keep tidy...............

Roberta Marie
12-28-2010, 09:16 AM
My natural hair is just below shoulder length, but receding at the front and thinning in the back. When I went to replace my first wig, about 2 years ago, the stylist at the wig shop suggested a clip in hair piece. The cap just covers the top of my head, and there were 4 "toupee" clips, that clip into my natural hair, at each corner. I added a 5th to the front center to catch my "widow's peak" for a bit of added security. It is about the same length as my natural hair, and they matched the color almost perfectly. This is a big improvement over my wig, which definitely looked like a wig and felt like a wig. This is much more natural looking and feeling, more like hair augmentation rather than coverup.

Grace,
Bobbi

Karren H
12-28-2010, 09:31 AM
For me I accept my hair thinning better because I know when I go out enfemme I have many nice wigs to choose from... My wife isn't so happy and keeps making comments when she sees ads for the Hair Club! Lol.

Sara Jessica
12-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I see your point when it comes to the wig thing. They seem to wear easier when the hair is very short.

But now that I'm about a year into this growing-the-hair-out thing, I am very self-conscious of any hair loss up top. Knocking loudly on wood, I have none at the traditional bald spot and my forehead doesn't appear to be on it's way to becoming a five-head.

carhill2mn
12-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Wigs have always been the answer for me.

TGMarla
12-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes. That's the short answer. Whenever my thinning mop gets too shaggy, I find wigs harder to wear. I like how they fit when I have fresh cut lettuce. However, I'd rather have a full head of hair. I could wear it short, and the wigs would still fit fine. Baldness is for the birds, and surely the scourge of manhood. In this respect (and many others), women have it good.

msniki48
12-28-2010, 07:07 PM
My wife isn't so happy and keeps making comments when she sees ads for the Hair Club! Lol.

I don't know Karren....let's see...your wife wants you to get a lifestyle lift of some sort.....and now hair club for men.:doh: [ so u can feminize the face and not have to wear a wig!!!! :daydreaming: how good is that..... girl you have the makings of the perfect woman! :D: oooops forgot she doesn't enjoy the dressing....well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.:battingeyelashes:

hmmm i just need to find the 40 to 50 K to do this and i'll be right there with ya!:heehee:

hugs

Soriya
12-28-2010, 07:26 PM
For me I accept my hair thinning better because I know when I go out enfemme I have many nice wigs to choose from... My wife isn't so happy and keeps making comments when she sees ads for the Hair Club! Lol.

Oh Karren, stay away from Hair Club! LOL.

I am thinning but still have a decent amount of hair up top but a few years back I has such low self esteem because i was thinning, I gave them a try. I hated that thing and it made my self esteem worse, always worrying if someone could tell, and believe me, you can! I did not so long after get transplants done for a resonable amount and I have been much happier, still not thick but much better :)

leggylisa
12-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I have no idea if baldness is in my future, from the look of it im 31 now and i have masses of hair lol. It is kinda nice i think dressing and styling your own hair even if its easier to have 20 styles of wig and the choice that comes from it.

Christy_M
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
i have never worried about thinning, either but this in place my wife doesn´t seem to mind being hairless...head, legs and pits are all losing hair regularly although only one is through natural means. it ha been wigs for me since i joined the marines at 18.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I always de-thatch fertilize and cut to prevent too much loss, just hate them hair grubs though. If a major problem then its the artificial turf shop.

Loni
12-28-2010, 09:32 PM
just remember.

man who go bald in front: is a thinker.

man who go bald in back: is a lover.

man who go bald all over: thinks he is a lover.

ha ha ha ha...

come on now you must laugh at this old one...the joke that is.

JohnH
12-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Just another reason to go on MtF HRT. Got to suppress that nasty testosterone and get the estrogen to help with the hair - half joking.

Johanna

sissystephanie
12-28-2010, 09:56 PM
O.K., Loni, I am pretty much bald all over!! But at my advanced age not much of a lover! BTW, I have grandchildren older than the writer of the first post!! But hair is not a problem for me anymore! What I have left is now only 1/8 inch long! Since my wife passed away several years ago, I no longer wear a wig or makeup. I dress enfemme and go out in public looking like the man that I am but wearing a skirt or dress. Get some "looks," but who cares!!

Sophie86
12-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Question for CD'ers who's male selves are bald or balding. Do you find being a crossdresser helps you be more ok with it because of the advantages in having short or no hair when wearing wigs?

No, I think the opposite. For a long time, losing my hair made me feel less femme, and less drawn to crossdressing. Buying wigs has helped with that, but I still regret the loss of my hair at times. I wore it long from the time I was in second grade until I started to look like Bozo the clown with it sticking out on the sides. I would love to have the real thing back.

Loveday
12-29-2010, 03:54 AM
I am bald on top, but have hair on the sides and on the back of neck. Barbers have commented that it is like I have two hair lines. I have found only a few advantages to wearing a wig. One is that I just like having hair again. When I wear a wig it makes me feel better about myself. The other is when the sun is out I tend to prefer a wig to a hat. I get more coverage against skin cancer and the sweat does not roll down my face as much. I always hated it at work in the summer because I had to wear a bandana to stop the sweat from rolling on my face, everbody was always making peace signs at me because they thought I was an old hippie and of course then, I would flip them off like an old hippie.

Stephanie47
12-29-2010, 04:05 AM
I don't have much on top. I bought my first wig 30+ years ago to match my dirty blond hair. As my hair darkened I bought a brown wig. Now I wear a gray wig. Having almost nothing on top, but, having sideburns, it is easier to go with gray on gray. A wig is a must for me. A totally bald guy can be sexy but, I just need the womanly look. Gray hair is sexy on an older woman ifit is styled right.

Mahoro
12-29-2010, 01:29 PM
The hair on top started going in my mid 20s, and really I didn't loose it, it just relocated to other parts of my body where I now try to eradicate it, LOL.
I pretend it does not bother me in boy-mode, but truth is I generally wear a hat when I go out en-homme, taking it off instantly adds 15 years to my appearance.
I do so miss the long curly hair I used to have in my youth, if that were still around I might even consider going full time.
To the original question though, I keep what's left very short (#2 clipper cut every few weeks) with no sideburns, that does make wearing the wigs easier, and it means I can easily switch colors when ever my girly whim dictates.

Paulacder
12-29-2010, 01:39 PM
A couple years ago I gave myself a "BUZ" seemed like everyone was shaving their heads so I thought why not? However my motive was not attain that tuff guy look it was to see if wearing a wig was any different and was I amazed. It seem that my wig stayed in place better. However since then I am back to hair. Shaveing your head every other day is a pain in the you know what. But there are benifits. You don't have to buy Shampo, Conditioner, Combs, or $15.00 haircuts, O yea, did I mention No Dandruff....

juno
12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't think that thin hair is ever really an advantage, because you can always cut it short on purpose. However, it becomes less of a problem when you already wear wigs.

Misty G
12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I have shaved my head for the past 9 or so years. Since I wear short haired wigs it makes it nice. no trouble hiding hair underneath

LisaLedoux
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Am almost bald (very thin hair) and that makes so much easier to fit my wigs. I also shave my body, wife thinks I am going bald all over and doesn't question it!!! (I'm closeted by-the-way)

StacyCD
12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I've never thought of being bald on top as being an advantage either in drab or enfemme. I would love to have a thick head of hair that I could let grow long enough to style in a feminine way. However, unless I dye it red and go for the bozette the clown look I'm certainly going to be disappointed.

Rebecca Jayne
12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Its all sliding south down my back

fluffy
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Hair is a huge thing with me and always has been. I've had curly hair and always wanted it to be really long and girly. That was how I got into crossdressing in the first place. Sadly my mother never allowed me to wear it past a certain length. Though even then I was often mistaken for a girl (no apologies needed :)).

In my 20s it started thinning but I think I saved it with the right pills. It just looks slightly receded. Unfortunately now it's getting thinner again and although it's still long and curly (past my shoulders) I feel like it's starting to look unfeminine. I fear the inevitable buzz is coming closer and I dread it so much. I've never had really short hair and I feel like I'm losing a part of myself.
Not to mention how much I enjoyed having long hair. It feels so nice to have it brush against your skin and be able to wear it in ponytails or pigtails (my girlfriend's favorite). I love having it tugged on and played with and that awesome girly feeling you get when you've just washed and dried it with a great shampoo.

I never got into wigs. They feel like a disguise to me. My crossdressing was never about pretending to be a woman. It's about enjoying the wonderful sensations that women enjoy.

Just hope that medicine will fix the hair problem soon.

2B Natasha
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I've been shaving my head for 15 years. Never really thought about the wig issue. I suppose it fits better since there is nothing to prevent it from forming to my scalp.

Just for the record. I shave it because it, real hair, is a pain. Mine was blonde and it hung it angle curls. Hair. Awful stuff. Grows out of your nose and your ears. Pops out on your back. You get those stray hairs that seem like there a foot long on your shoulder. End up with plucing your brows all the time. Stuff should be banished.

Pinky188
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I shave my head every two to three days. I think my wig fits better because of it. Im prolly wrong about this but what ever!

LitaKelley
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I lost all my hair on top, and alot on the back and I hate it, because I want to transition, and even if I go all the way, I'll still have no f&%^ing hair and would still need wigs :(

Alice Torn
01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I have tried a number of hair growing products, and they seem to be more like putting moss killer or weed killer, only, in this case, it wipes out what hair i still have, and broader goes the bald spot. In stead of weed and feed, its kill the seeds! Wigs are fine for me, too. Love the variety!

Kaz
01-03-2011, 07:41 PM
As soon as I could I grew my hair long, so by 18+ I was shoulder length and loving it. By 19 I was receding, by 21 my hair was short up front and I struggled with mullets. By 23 I had relatively short hair all over as I had very little on top either. It all happened very quickly and very suddenly for me and it took me years to come to terms with it. Fast forward 30 odd years or so... I can't really answer the OP as intended as I never wore a wig when I had a head full of hair (no need).

It isn't all so easy though... wigs (female) are designed on the assumption that the wearer has a full head of hair, so they always feel a bit wierd in the back. But the transformation effect of a wig for me is out of this world. It changes everything.

fluffy
01-04-2011, 03:25 AM
As soon as I could I grew my hair long, so by 18+ I was shoulder length and loving it. By 19 I was receding,
That is such a sad thing. Not only are most of us not allowed to grow our hair long until we're adults only to find it's to late to experience it. These kind of things used to make me wish I had been born female. Has nothing to do with being TS - just that women's life seemed (from my perspective at the time) much more fun and fulfilling.

But the transformation effect of a wig for me is out of this world. It changes everything.
Yeah it's awesome what a change of hairstyle does to your look. It changes you more than any piece of clothing ever could.

Angiemead12
01-04-2011, 04:14 AM
I take a hair supplement, use minoxidil, will start using mane and tail plus I am trying to eat more soy foods to lower testosterone to stop my hair from thinning. I would cry if I lose my hair, Im thinking of hair plugs already for thin hairline

fluffy
01-04-2011, 05:19 AM
What is "mane and tail plus"?
I tried the soy thing too. I religiously ate loads of soy foods and took soy supplements. I don't know if it worked but I did give up eventually.

Celeste
01-04-2011, 06:29 AM
I have fought thinning for 5 years now,I'm done with being overly self conscious about it.I do believe avoiding direct sunlight and not burning the scalp helps to slow the loss.Having it thinner really does help to style a wig better and bring it closer around the sides.I also stay away from things that ruin the hair i have left like over washing,breaking it or wearing tight caps.

Jay Cee
01-04-2011, 07:44 AM
My noggin is a bit on the big side, so keeping my (somewhat thinning) hair short helps a wig to fit comfortably.

Jilmac
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
My male pattern baldness is typical, chrome dome on top with a fringe of hair above my ears and around the back of my noggin. I usually try to keep the fringe as short as possible so I can wear any style or length wig and not worry about my natural hair poking out.

the_me
01-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I know the moment I find that perfect wig, I'm just shaving all my hair off anyway. But I do usually do that 3 or 4 times a year so it's nothing out of the norm for me anyway.

tamarav
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
My hair was thinning so badly by the time I was 18 that the military barbers just waved me through.

I have been shaving all three hairs that still grow for the past few years. It makes wearing a wig much easier.