PDA

View Full Version : Finally started hormones!

Princess Jen
12-29-2010, 12:05 AM
So I finally went to see a TG therapist and I ended up getting my approval letter after the first visit :yippee:.I have the support of everyone close to me, which is something I'm very grateful for.

Today marks my 25th day on hormones. I am already starting to experience some changes (widening hips, sore nipples and a decreased sex drive). I feel so much more relaxed knowing that I'm growing into more of a woman. Before starting hormones, I always felt this extreme anxiety over the fact that my body was male and with time, I would only end up looking more manly.

I know that I still have a long way to go but I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the changes!

Sharon
12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Widening hips after 25 days? I believe you have set a record!

Nicole Erin
12-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Congrats!
Don't forget though that HRT is not the only aspect of transition, you can move ahead with voice training, name change, and perfecting your own image as a woman.

Whatever your means allow, no matter, be the best woman you possibly can and you will do fine. ;)

nikkijo
12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
holly crap sharon and i agree on something... in a round about way.... it must be a record to get the approval letter in 1 visit as well...

Jorja
12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
holly crap sharon and i agree on something... in a round about way.... it must be a record to get the approval letter in 1 visit as well...

This is not unusual if you have been living as a woman for sometime h=and have strong family approval etc....

nikkijo
12-29-2010, 08:56 AM
lets see.. most good therapists want a thourough evaluation before approval... not on an initial visit... i know my dr wont accept an approval letter without atleast 3 mo of recorded evaluation history behind it....

Chace
12-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Congrats!!! thats a awsome time of your life ..I hope and wish you the best...I hope you also know all the ins and out of hrt ...Im kinda jellouse lol anyway good luck on the big future ahead ...xo

Nicki S
12-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Congrats on your starting HRT. Enjoy your journey. I have also recently started full HRT. I have been on estrogen for 3 months which was self medicated. But I am now under supervision of Dr and now also on anti-androgens for 15 days. So we are very close.

StaceyJane
12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Congratulations!

Jorja
12-29-2010, 09:31 AM
lets see.. most good therapists want a thourough evaluation before approval... not on an initial visit... i know my dr wont accept an approval letter without atleast 3 mo of recorded evaluation history behind it....

First and formost, you must understand that in the U.S. the SoC (Standards of Care) and WPATH are GUIDES not the LAW on how transgendered people should be treated. The therapist treating you has complete authority and latitude to say when you are ready to start hormones or ready for SRS.

For example: Princess Jen has been living full time as a woman for 8 months. She appears to be at ease and comfortable as a woman. After 1 visit to the current attending therapist she is OKed for hormone therapy and after 6 visits she is approved for SRS.
Nikkijo is making her first ever visit to the same therapist. She has never tried living full time as a woman and she has never been to any counseling. The therapist tells her she must visit for at least 6 months before they will recommend hormones.
Is this within the SoC? Not technically. Is it correct for the individual being assessed? Yes.

My point being, each and every case that comes up is different. Different circumstances, situations, and conditions. You must respect and fully understand each and every case. Also, as I have said before, each country has different laws rules and hoops to jump through. So what is correct in the US or UK may not be correct in Canada or Australia or Asia.

Veronica_Jean
12-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Good for you sweetie!

Welcome to the world of estrogen.

Veroncia

Sharon
12-29-2010, 10:53 AM

There's nothing in my post to either agree or disagree with..., so I suppose we will continue to disagree (which in itself is news to me).

I didn't mean for my reply to read as if I am casting doubt on Jen's claims -- I have nothing to base believing or disbelieving thoughts on other than what is posted and I do my best to give the benefit of the doubt to the writer. My only thought, which likely should have remained unwritten in that it served no purpose, is that emotions -- such as elation in finally beginning HT -- sometimes leads us to see what we want to see, though my own mirror was much slower in showing the reflection I waited so long to see. Regarding the approval letter, my own therapist agreed after my first visit that I was what I claimed to be, even though the letter itself wasn't written out until my third visit two weeks later.

Congratulations, Jen! :)

That's what I should have written. :o

tanyalynn51
12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Congratulations!!

Gerrijerry
12-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I say welcome to the start of your new life. How you get there and how long it takes is not the point. It is different for each person. Effects from hormones is different for each person. Seeing I am not a doctor I would never even say how long it should take. for the hormones to start changes that can be felt or seen. I know of one of the girls whose normal female hormones were already high and she look like she had been on hormones for 10 years before she even started them. The effect on her was not the female hormones being increased but more the fact that male hormones were decreased. The changes were amazingly fast. So who knows what is possible for each person. The doctor knows after he or she checks the hormone natural level before. and lets not throw out MOM's effect on us either. That can be passed on to us also effecting things like breast size etc.
all that to say glad you are now happy and I wish you the best.

Melody Moore
12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
First and formost, you must understand that in the U.S. the SoC (Standards of Care) and WPATH are GUIDES not the LAW on how transgendered people should be treated. The therapist treating you has complete authority and latitude to say when you are ready to start hormones or ready for SRS.

For example: Princess Jen has been living full time as a woman for 8 months. She appears to be at ease and comfortable as a woman. After 1 visit to the current attending therapist she is OKed for hormone therapy and after 6 visits she is approved for SRS.
Nikkijo is making her first ever visit to the same therapist. She has never tried living full time as a woman and she has never been to any counseling. The therapist tells her she must visit for at least 6 months before they will recommend hormones.
Is this within the SoC? Not technically. Is it correct for the individual being assessed? Yes.

My point being, each and every case that comes up is different. Different circumstances, situations, and conditions. You must respect and fully understand each and every case. Also, as I have said before, each country has different laws rules and hoops to jump through. So what is correct in the US or UK may not be correct in Canada or Australia or Asia.

Well said!

Every case is different, I was prescribed hormones after 2 visits to 2 different doctors 2 weeks apart through the same gender clinic. Both doctors complimented me on how well I presented as a female. I told them that I had already been living fulltime as a female for about a month so I was very comfortable & well adjusted to my new gender role. I was also asked if I was having electrolysis & on hormones already. I told them no to both questions, but told them I was using other hair removal methods and would also soon be having laser treatment.

A month after that I got my gender identity certificate and it wouldn't have taken that long if it didn't take nearly 3 weeks to change my name on my Birth Certificate. I still have to see the pyschologist over a period of time before I will be approved for SRS simply as a matter of course. But I have already been told by my pyschologist that I will more than likely be approved for SRS around September 2011 - 1 year after I changed my name & gender identity.

Here is a video about an 18 year old Male to Female Transsexual from the UK
called Kris who was approved for hormones on her first visit to see her doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUwjuZalYkc

Princess Jen
12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I hope I haven't made anyone upset. I was honestly surprised that I got my approval letter after the first visit. I merely explained to my therapist that I had been CDing from my early teen years to now and that it was becoming more and more important to me to be treated as a woman.

I explained that I had grown my hair out, gotten my ears pierced and gone through 3 years of laser hair removal (waste of money but anyway) and had started electrolysis, all in an effort to bring my male side closer to my female side. My feelings about wanting to be female were dominating every other aspect of my life. I always felt that in guy mode, I was just playing a video game with a male character who wasn't me. And the goal of that video game was simply to blend in with everyone else.

I started getting really upset that I felt that way as I could no longer have any meaningful conversations with anyone who did not know I would rather be a girl. I was starting to feel like I didn't exist and I never would, unless I actually built up the courage to transition. Beyond its convenience (as far as passing), I have no use for my male side. I am out to everyone I know and have gone out in fem 30+ times.

And that's basically my story so far. :love:

Just so there's no confusion, all the physical changes I've noticed have been slight. I know I am not going to turn into a woman overnight but I did notice that I have a bit more padding on the outside part of my upper thighs and just a hint of some hips. My family has noticed this too. I did not think it was that uncommon though, I have a CD friend who noticed the same thing after a month on hormones.

http://www.dawnforever.com/one-month-on-hormones/

KateSpade83
01-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Wow... Princess Jen... I thought you were just a casual crossdresser... not into a sex change. But it would be nice to see some picture posts of you showing how well your sex change is going... Try posting a pic thread showing off your new femme figure from hormones!

morgan51
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Congrats on the progress I wish you a great and easy transition. This is hard enough living with day to day problems let alone gender disphoria. The hormones seemed to give me a lot of mental peace if nothing else. I'm now off hormones as my wife couldn't accept the idea so I'm back to a bit of mental anguish.1-1/ 2 plus years did make some significant changes.

Sheren Kelly
01-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Jen,
I'm not surprised to hear of your trannsition. I recall the picture you had in your album (when they were enabled) with you looking up the stairs from in front of the photographer. You seemed very comfortable in your femininity. I think you will have a very successful transition and wish you a wonderful new life.

Jay Cee
01-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Wishing you great success in your journey, Jen.