PDA

View Full Version : Shopping En Femme for the First Time

DeniseNY
09-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Yesterday, I got an unexpected gift - the gift of time. My girlfriend was working late, and I had no place special to be. So I got a chance to let Denise out. I needed to get some open-toed shoes anyway because I don't have any, so it was the perfect excuse to go get some. I figured I could try on a few pairs. Then I thought about it and decided that I would draw less attention if I were to try on the shoes dressed. So I put on my outfit which consisted of a long brown peasant skirt, low-heeled brown shoes that were open in the back, and a thin top that was tan, gold, and brown. I carried a bone-colored handbag with the short strap. I drove to the local Target. It was about 4 in the afternoon. I noticed that there were almost all women going into and coming out of the store. I stepped out of the car, took a few steps, and suddenly felt very self-conscious. I pretended I forgot something, climbed back in the car, and closed the door. Then I got an idea. I started noticing all the women going into the store and coming out, and the confidence in which they carried themselves. That was the key! They acted like they belonged there, like they had every right to be there! So I watched for a few more seconds, and decided I had every right to be there too! So I climbed out of the car and walked confidently into the store . Just as I got to the entrance of the door, all the confidence I had went right out the window! There were two middle-aged housewives talking to each other - and they were right in front of the door! I had come too far to turn back, so I approached them and walked past them, trying not to appear too nervous. Then one of the ladies said to the other one in a very loud voice, "My nails are real!! I was mortified. Had she read me that easily? AFter all, women and children read us easiest. But the statement wasn;t followed up by another from the other woman, so it could have been just part of the conversation, as strange as that may sound. So, thinking quickly, I just laughed! Of course, my heart was pounding, but at least I kept it calm on the surface, and the laughing kind of eased things a bit for me. I just kept walking. I looked back at the women and smiled. The one with her back turned to me said, "That woman just laughed at [what] you [said]." I was looking for her to hang her fingers in the air like quotation marks, as if she were mocking me or something. But she didn't! So she really thought I was a woman. The woman who commented out loud didn't challenge the statement. They both thought I was a woman! I did it! I actually passed!

Then I went in to the store and made a bee-line for the misses section. I actually got the chance to look for a decent top. Usually, in male mode, you never spend too much time doting on the clothes. This time, I was able to see which tops matched my skirt because I was wearing it! I was able to see which bra best matched my top, and could hold the bra up next to my top, and not look like some circus freak. I was able to look at camisoles and panties and spend time searching for the right colors without drawing stares from anybody. All the women in the misses section ignored me instead of looking funny at me like they normally do. Unfortunately, they did not have any tops that I really liked, but they did have a really nice bodyshaper that I could use to pad my hips. I took my purchase to the checkout counter where the checkout girl was. She was a tall, stocky African-American woman. Thet's when I knew I was busted. Not only was she female, she had a really good look at me, and I guess she would know what an African-American woman should look like. She asked me if that was all. I told her yes. My voice came out a little deeper than I had wanted, but still high enough to be recognized as female. She looked at me to hand me my change. I turned my glance down towards my pocketbook. She handed me my change and wished me a nice day. I wished her one in return and headed out of the store. She said something to the other girl on the other register. I didn't listen, but I didn't hear them laugh either. So I actually think I passed! But I think the stress just shortened my life by about two years... But I think I will always buy en femme from this day forward. I loved being able to see how the clothes looked on me in store light, and to be able to compare items with the clothes I am trying to coordinate with, and no more guessing. If you feel confident in public, and you ever get the chance to shop en femme, you know what my advice is. Girl, do it! And then do it again!!!

Phoebe Reece
09-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Way to go Denise! It actually does get easier the more you go out. I prefer shopping enfemme as well.

JocelynG
09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Congrats Denise. That must of been an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing. You got up the courage and actually did it. I will know that I will truely be out when I can do something like that. Just yesterday I went to the post office dressed. I entered the door with the confidence you were talking about.I think our biggest fear is being read and I think we listen to other peoples comments and think they are taking about you.I didn't read, or I might of missed it, about your shoes. Did you get to try them on too?

Emily Ann Brown
09-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm so happy you kept your composure. There will be plenty of time to run like heck after you know you are in trouble.(giggle giggle) Don't give anyone a reason to question your "weird" actions by not doing any. We are sooooo proud of you dear.

Emily Ann

GypsyKaren
09-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi Denise,

Glad it all went well for you. Going out and trying to pass, or not, is all about attitude. You have to relax and be confident in yourself, then you can enjoy the moment. Whenever I go out and come into contact with people, I always smile at them. This lets them know right away if they read you that you are not a threat. A smile is your passport to the world, it has never let me down.

GypsyKaren

DeniseNY
09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Thank you all for your encouragement and support. It helps, believe me. Don't you know the shoes I wanted were not there after all that? I guess the fall stuff is out, and the open-toed sadals are not around as much. But you are right, it's all about the attitude. Once you are not as self-conscious, you don't draw attention to the thing you are self-conscious about. For me, that's definitely my big chunky waist and lack of hips It was so much fun once you get past the butterflies. Now I guess the next step is to go find some girls to go out to the mall with!