PDA

View Full Version : Creative interpretations of conversation

sandra-leigh
12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
My wife and I were just talking on the phone about how cold it is (below -30C !!), but how I should go in to work anyhow. My office is officially closed this week so my plan is to wear a skirt or dress at work, which my wife does not know.

In signing off the phone call after discussing the cold, my wife said, "Dress well." So doesn't that mean that I should take the time to wear something nice looking? :D

Jay Cee
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Of course it does. If she wanted you to be prepared for the elements, she would have said "Dress warm".

Another cold snap. Grrrrrrr!

Blaire
12-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Sorry, she's still talking touque and mittens!!

sandra-leigh
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Sorry, she's still talking touque and mittens!!

Not so on the touque: she covets my third-world-produced lined knit multi-color hat.

But it's still :censor: cold out no matter what I wear!

Kelly DeWinter
12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Sandra, were'nt you worried in another post of loosing your job if someone should discover you dressed at work ? By the way althought I do appricate the creative interpertation of the phrase "Dress Well" you are sooooooooo going to 'get it' one of these days ! LOL Good luck and a Happy New Year !

sandra-leigh
12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Sandra, were'nt you worried in another post of loosing your job if someone should discover you dressed at work ?

When the building is officially closed, I can shut myself in my office and be dressed however I like.

I haven't managed to make it in yet, by the way, though I did manage to convince myself to put on a dress instead of my nightie. With the nightie I was having trouble convincing myself to do the desk cleaning (at home) that I needed for the paperwork I'm on a deadline for.

Karren H
12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
If its closed and you go in what's stopping anyone else from doing the same?

sandra-leigh
12-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Nothing -- but few people have the key to my office door and few of those who do are going to be in the building. No-one has entered my locked room unexpectedly for months.

DaniPat
12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Nice conversation with your wife about dressing. I have to ask though - At work does your office have an outside door? If someone else does show up for work and the offices are off a central communal area, secretarial area/reception area, wouldn't it possibly be embarrassing to walk out of the office and right into a co worker thinking about the same uninterrupted office time?

DaniPat

sandra-leigh
12-30-2010, 06:42 PM
The only vulnerable area is going to the washroom or snack machine without covering up. If I were headed to the reception area, I'd be on my way back out, covered by my coat. Washroom is not an especial danger as I am close to it and the halls are so quiet I could listen to others move around.

I did it several days at xmas last year and things worked out fine.

This year I haven't yet managed to actually get there even though I had planned to. Too many late nights answering technical questions, too many days of nasty nasty wind. But I did manage to get some personal paperwork filled out, only 2 years late, and need to go put that in the mail.

DaniPat
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Try to keep your petticoat and dress from getting flipped up in the slight breeze of Central Canada. Saskatchewan or Manitoba. I've been across the kings/queens highway twice in the winter, BC to Quebec to Plattsburgh NY, and I know what a slight breeze y'all get up there in the great white north, LOL.

DaniPat

Kelly DeWinter
12-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Theres is a movie with a very large fish with teeth that this reminds me of. it had the coolest soundtrack "Da Dum .... Da Dum .... Da Dummmm .. Daaaaa Dummmmm "

Nothing -- but few people have the key to my office door and few of those who do are going to be in the building. No-one has entered my locked room unexpectedly for months.

That sound track is starting to play again.

The only vulnerable area is going to the washroom or snack machine without covering up. If I were headed to the reception area, I'd be on my way back out, covered by my coat. Washroom is not an especial danger as I am close to it and the halls are so quiet I could listen to others move around.

I did it several days at xmas last year and things worked out fine.

This year I haven't yet managed to actually get there even though I had planned to. Too many late nights answering technical questions, too many days of nasty nasty wind. But I did manage to get some personal paperwork filled out, only 2 years late, and need to go put that in the mail.

Ok I'm changing to a Christmas movie. So I 'doubble dog dare you' to go to work dressed !

sandra-leigh
12-31-2010, 12:55 AM
So I 'doubble dog dare you' to go to work dressed !

Did it last year for several days, had fully intended to do it this year for several days but things didn't quite work out. But now that I have that stupid paperwork done and in the mail, tomorrow is a real possibility.

You've heard of the cave experiments in which people were left to determine their own day/night cycle? After several weeks they tend to use a day/night cycle of between 30 and 36 hours long (http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/a/a_11/a_11_p/a_11_p_hor/a_11_p_hor.html). I'm like that, except it only takes a few days of being alone at home and not going out before my day cycle hits 30 hours or more. Unfortunately that hit me this week... and together with my doing every other than my paperwork, I wasn't fit to work on Weds or Thurs like I was supposed to.

I did expect to go in tonight after dropping the paperwork in the mail, but I stopped to talk to some people, had a couple of bites to eat, waited unusually long for my taxi... by that time it was time to start my evening plans. But at least I got out. I can't say it was the best of evenings or the worst of evenings, but it was nice to at least have made it out of the house and spend the evening in a dress.

Did you see my other thread in which I indicated that all last week I went to work in either a skirt or dress, changing once I was inside my own office?

Kelly DeWinter
12-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Did it last year for several days, had fully intended to do it this year for several days but things didn't quite work out. But now that I have that stupid paperwork done and in the mail, tomorrow is a real possibility.

You've heard of the cave experiments in which people were left to determine their own day/night cycle? After several weeks they tend to use a day/night cycle of between 30 and 36 hours long (http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/a/a_11/a_11_p/a_11_p_hor/a_11_p_hor.html). I'm like that, except it only takes a few days of being alone at home and not going out before my day cycle hits 30 hours or more. Unfortunately that hit me this week... and together with my doing every other than my paperwork, I wasn't fit to work on Weds or Thurs like I was supposed to.

I did expect to go in tonight after dropping the paperwork in the mail, but I stopped to talk to some people, had a couple of bites to eat, waited unusually long for my taxi... by that time it was time to start my evening plans. But at least I got out. I can't say it was the best of evenings or the worst of evenings, but it was nice to at least have made it out of the house and spend the evening in a dress.

Did you see my other thread in which I indicated that all last week I went to work in either a skirt or dress, changing once I was inside my own office?

I think i did see the thread, I was just kidding about the dare though, Do you dress at home ?

sandra-leigh
12-31-2010, 11:44 AM
I think i did see the thread, I was just kidding about the dare though, Do you dress at home ?

Well, this week at home alone it's been all nighties or dresses.

My usual night attire at home is "sleepwear" in the form of a dress, and I wear that until I'm ready to get myself cleaned up to go out (in plain sight of everyone.)

My usual day attire at home is whatever I wore to work, which is always boundary-pushing "stealth" clothes. Some of them are obviously not bought from menswear, but are not far enough out that people at work feel obliged to say "Those are womens' clothes!". No ruffled blouses, for example (though I never did care for ruffled blouses anyhow.)

Weekends I may wear something a bit more obvious.

My wife asked me not to wear skirts or dresses at home for fear of confusing or making things more difficult for her mother who lives with us. Her mother already has difficulty recognizing me unless she sees me face-on. I'm "the man of the house", protector of her mother according to her mother's society. Her mother isn't too "with it" unfortunately... e.g., she tells my wife that I'll make a good husband for someone some day, not recognizing that my wife and I are together...

sandra-leigh
12-31-2010, 03:54 PM
So I 'doubble dog dare you' to go to work dressed !

Pictures have now duly been taken at work. It wasn't any problem -- there literally wasn't anyone else on the same floor (in any of the wings.) I don't have a way to upload them at work, though, or to resize or crop them here; that will have to wait until I get back home.

NathalieX66
12-31-2010, 04:01 PM
My wife and I were just talking on the phone about how cold it is (below -30C !!),

-30C....Celcius

I assume you mean -30 F....as in farenheit.

-30C sounds closer to the polar caps of Mars, possibly Jupiter. .....just sayin', lol!

sandra-leigh
12-31-2010, 04:22 PM
-30C....Celcius

I assume you mean -30 F....as in farenheit.

-30C sounds closer to the polar caps of Mars, possibly Jupiter. .....just sayin', lol!

The last official reading, 10 minutes ago, was -20.4C, wind chill -34C. That's -4.72F real temperature, feeling like -27.4F . It is expected to get slightly colder tonight but not too much so, wind cill only -37C = -34.6F

Mars varies a lot with location and season, sometimes having surface temperatures above what we have now, but often being about -200F near the poles.

Yup, some parts of Mars are temporarily warmer than some parts of Earth. I don't think, though, that I'd like to live in a place where the carbon dioxide froze out of the atomosphere during the winter -- not just because that sounds blooming cold, but because we need CO2 in the atomosphere in order to trigger our breathing properly.

Postscript: 6pm, and I've just gone down to the vending-machine area to make some noodles. Discovered that the chip machine eats my money just as readily no matter how I'm dressed :sad: . The guard probably saw me from the back as I entered the elevator, but I know from previous conversations that he doesn't think there's anything wrong with it (but it would be the first time that he would have had a chance to see me in a dress without a coat over it.)