PDA

View Full Version : broke a nail! :(

Pinky188
12-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I just had to get this off my chest!!!! Thanks in advance for listening. I continually am breaking my nails working on these stupid cars day in and day out! Im sick of it! I want a new job!!!!

Jilmac
12-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I know the feeling Pinky! I'm a carpenter (retired but still doing side jobs)and my nails are as brittle as glass. My nails break even when I'm wearing gloves. Go figure!

herwannabe
12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Yea I do construction too, and just about the time I get my nails to look half way decent they start breaking it really upsets me bigtime.

I usually have them painted clear and the other day one of my guys says ur nails sure look shiny u get a manicure? i just laughed it off, lol busted!

Karren H
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
I used to too, even when I wore my mechanix gloves.... till I started taking vitamin D supplements! My nails are like talons now!! Just finished replacing the entire brake system on a 96 civic hb... Everything and not a chip.. Also uses a good nail strengthener helps. But when my Endo found I had a D deficiency and started me on supplements. I've been amazed!! So the real question is what's in your garage?

monica.missil
12-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Thats interesting Karen, I have the same condition. And working on copy machines all day, never am able to keep my nails long. So if taking my vitamin D is going to help my nails, great!

sissystephanie
12-30-2010, 09:11 PM
To answer Karren first, a Lincoln LS not very old! But I don't do auto work anymore, I have a great mechanic who does all that. However, my nails used to break real easily. My wife got me having acrylic nails to keep them from breaking! They look really nice and I haven't had a broken nail in years. And I do a lot of woodwork, besides selling insurance!

Pinky188
12-30-2010, 09:31 PM
I used to too, even when I wore my mechanix gloves.... till I started taking vitamin D supplements! My nails are like talons now!! Just finished replacing the entire brake system on a 96 civic hb... Everything and not a chip.. Also uses a good nail strengthener helps. But when my Endo found I had a D deficiency and started me on supplements. I've been amazed!! So the real question is what's in your garage?

Karen, I have Porsche race cars in my shop. But today I broke two nails working on my 4runner. The clutch went out on it.

Pinky188
12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
The Porsche cars are useally very nice to my nails! :)

JohnH
12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
That reminds me of when I did a really stupid thing - siphon a gallon of gas out of my 1992 Camaro. I could not get the tube down so I hooked the tube to an electrician's fish tape.

I got the gallon of gas out of the car. The next step was to pull the fish tape and the hose out of the tank. After much struggle and a lot of four-letter words I managed to get the items out of the tank.

The next morning I tried to start the car. The engine turned over but it would not start. Also the gas gauge showed way more than full.

I had on my fingernails Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure, Platinum Black.

Now I had to face pulling the gas tank out and examining the insides. However, in that car I had to drop the rear axle and the exhaust to get to the tank.

I managed to do that, and I opened up the gas tank. Sure enough, there was a connector that was unplugged when I pulled on the fish tape.

Then I was able to put everything back together.

I did not break any fingernails, and all I needed was minor touch-ups of the fingernails. But it was the MOST inconvenient gallon of gas I ever got for the lawn mower!

Johanna