PDA

View Full Version : The Best Hair Removal Methods

Rilulia
12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Hello everyone! I have been looking around the forums but I still can't find the type of answer I am searching for. Is there a cheap and long lasting way to remove hair from all parts of the body without shaving? I have really sensitive skin and when I try shaving I always end up with ugly razor bumps and all these little nasties. I am really new to shaving and hair removal too so any advice would be extremely helpful!

Thank you in advance!

-Rilu

Starr
12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Well i have been shaving for several years.. when i first started i too had those razor bumps.. i had to learn a little about how to shave... some areas i have to shave with the hair growth to and others i shave into the hair growth... also it seemed like after i was doing it a while my skin got more use to the shaving and the bumps started to just not pop up any more... use good blades.. and a good cream or shaving gel..

Joann0830
12-30-2010, 10:46 PM
also you can shave with Noxema Cold Cream great to shave with and it also makes your skin feel great

ninapuella
12-30-2010, 10:52 PM
I have found a method that works very well for me. I use a gilette male-razor, they are very good for shaving bodyhair. Then I shave twice a week. The legs keeps smooth and it is very easy to shave when the legs already are smooth. It takes almost no time at all. I would not like to shave every day, but twice a week is perfect!

NathalieX66
12-30-2010, 10:54 PM
These, IMO, are the methods in progression on the War on Hair:

1. Shaving
2. Nair or Veet...works great with a razor too!...recommended for anywhere, except the face.
3. Epilation.....I have a Braun Silk Epil....works too well/hurts too much.
4. Waxing....go to a salon/spa instead of doing it yourself.
5. Laser hair removal.....takes about 7-12 sessions to kill the hair follicles for good, because some hair grows back. laser does not work well with blond or grey hair.
6. Electrolysis....most permanent & most effective. The mother of all hair removal ....also most time consuming, but well worth it. I am doing it now but it's going to be several sessions over a couple of months for the final results.

I suggest methods 2,3,4 are not good for the face. 5 & 6 work good for all

AllieSF
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I have been using an epilator for over a year. Yes, it hurts the first few time. Now I do touch ups once a week, not because someone can see the hair growing out, but because I look for it, find a few hairs regrowing and "need" to get rid of them. It does not hurt me at all now. I occasionally do get a couple of ingrown hairs around my bikini line and the upper back of my leg. For the first time, I recommend that you trim your hair down to 1/8 to 1/4 inch to make it easier. I would do electrolysis on my face and neck if I could afford it. I have primarily have a gray beard, so that rules our laser.

Sophie86
12-30-2010, 11:53 PM
There's no one single best method for removing hair, because of the variables involved: hair thickness; skin sensitivity, finances, and spare time. The first two can vary between areas of the body.

One of the keys for successful hair removal is to exfoliate the skin. Removing the top layers of dead skin, will cut down on the in-grown hairs. I use a a body scrub that's made for men. I also have a couple of loofahs, but I don't use them every day anymore.

My skin is very sensitive, so when I shave I use a shaving gel. A lot of people use hair conditioner or soap, but I can't do that without irritating my skin.

The five-bladed fusion razor is a bit pricey, but works very well to give a close shave without irritating the skin.

I have a Braun epilator. It hurts like hell, and the last few times I used it I got a lot of in-grown hairs. When I was using it, I found that I could use it once or twice a month and it made shaving a lot easier and more effective. It's very time-consuming though.

I have my wife use Veet on my back. It's effective (I think), but it doesn't last any longer than a good shave. The hairs are less prickly, though, since it's not cutting them off at an angle.

Ashley Allison
12-31-2010, 01:38 AM
For me shaving is the way to go. I shave my legs at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Eventually I'm going to get electrolysis and get rid of all my facial hair.

Nigella
12-31-2010, 04:43 AM
This topic is well covered in the beauty club forum, please do a search in there.