PDA

View Full Version : How to expose your motives, by trying to hide them.

Jay Cee
01-02-2011, 11:49 AM
So I'm in a bookstore with my SO the other day. She's there to look at books that don't interest me, so I go to one of the "book lookup" terminals, and punch in "makeup" on a whim. A bunch of results pop up, all in the "Lifestyle" section. I ask an employee of the store where this section is. She says "There are two areas with that name - which book are you looking for?" I kind of freeze up for a second, and then say "I'd rather not say. It's top secret." She gives me an odd look, but shows me both areas, and then carries on with her work.

So there I am, looking at how-to makeup books, when who do I notice standing about 6' away? Yep, the clerk who helped me - putting more stock on the shelves. She didn't say a word - bless her. I think that by trying to conceal my goal, I just made myself 100X more obvious. No idea why I did that - I've spent countless hours in drab mode, wandering around makeup and women's clothing areas in department stores, and barely flinched.

Michelle James
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
It happens too all of us at one time or another. Don't beat yourself up over it just move on and enjoy yourself.

PretzelGirl
01-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Like Michelle says, no biggie. You probably won't see her again. But it does show that being up front can be better. If you had just said make-up books, she probably would have taken you there and that would have been the end of it. But you piqued her curiosity it appears.

eluuzion
01-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Hey, hopefully we learn something new everyday. That day it seems you just learned that considering a career as a "spy", would probably not be a productive aspiration. Keep your day job, lol.

:love:

Ashley Allison
01-03-2011, 01:22 AM
"Top secret" I'll have to try using that one. I never admit I'm buying for myself if I dont' have to.

Christy_M
01-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Top Secret - LOL is that like "double secret probation?" :) I can't imagine what I would have said. I know I got great advice the other day about looking on you tube for make-up tips, advice and techniques...

Starla
01-03-2011, 08:49 AM
You were approached by a store employee, acted a bit nervous and blurted out a non-sequitur -- of course, she is going to keep a more focused eye on you because a shoplifter might well act the same way.

Kelly DeWinter
01-03-2011, 08:52 AM
too funny

Jay Cee
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I might start using it for ALL of my shopping trips - groceries, hardware, whatever. I will also wear an Inspector Gadget trenchcoat while shopping. :)