PDA

View Full Version : First day of Work / RLE / Sample letter to Employees, etc...

Angel.Marie76
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Hiya!

I realize I had a separate thread open for my legal name change stuffs, however this I felt deserved it's own thought process. Today, January 3rd, 2011, I started my life over in the same career / same organization (same .bat time, same .bat channel) as Angel Marie, with relatively little immediate negative ripples in the water! This event was over a year in planning and awareness to both myself and my employer, and they were well prepared to face the changes head-on. This message, while being a synopsis of the schedule of events, will include a electronic copy of the letter that was sent to all employees on my behalf by email while I was on my transitionary vacation for XMAss / New Years. New Years 2011 also begins my general R.L.E. as I have mentioned elsewhere, as with all the name changes and informational outlays to everyone, 'he' generally has no other reason to exist anymore in the public eye.

I wanted to write this as both a point of reference, and a chance to say that, for those who feel they want to 'come out' and live in the public eye, that (so far), this is yet another proof positive fact that companies ARE becoming more accepting every day. My office executed an executive order requiring that all employees complete a mandatory 1-hour training on diversity before the end of the 2010 calendar year (collectively scheduled during the month of December on purpose). This diversity training (self-labeled Transgender 101) was taught by the director of the State's Transgender Political Coalition. For reference, the director himself is a Transman. Managers and VPs were treated to an extended training w/ question and answer session that, I was told, was very well done, and lots of good questions came across the floor from all sides. As I was still a general secret at the time, I too went through the training myself, and was treated to a barrage of positivity from the dozen or so people in my session along side me. As I left that training, I pulled one woman aside and flat out TOLD her everything! She gave me a hug, we chatted, and on went the day.

Anyway, I realize that, when determining reasons to publicly transition or stay in the closet, it's a lot about FEELING out the environment and GUESSING as to whether they may or may not be an accepting organization. I've been blessed with being able to work for a company that not only accepts GLBT, but has declared that it is changing the company policy as quickly as possible to include 'gender identity' provisions. I will admit that, had I not felt so obviously comfortable to begin with, I would have probably just lived out my career here as an effeminate male who wears light makeup... and blocky heels... and.. kilts? Course, I would have just began developing breasts at some point too. ;)

Regardless, I have been receiving many positive words from coworkers now, and I can only hope that it will continue. Aside from that, the vendors I associate with will now be alerted to my changes one at a time, so as to facilitate a complete transformation. (Trans-formers.. Angels in disguise.. ;p )

I just want to end with one word: COURAGE! It needs to be followed up with STRENGTH, FAITH, BELIEVE, and, of course, BREATHE!! That first day may be a doosey, but if you're happy, then it was worth all the effort.

Attached below is a copy of the letter that was printed, signed by the president, and then scanned and emailed to everyone in the company. I was given the opportunity to edit it before it was sent, which I did.

Best of luck to you all, regardless if or when you choose to walk in the public eye or not. :D

------------

Dear Team,
Thank you for taking the time to attend the training “Transgender 101” this past week set up by Human Resources Dept. As you know [company name] is committed to diversity in our workforce. We believe a diverse workforce reflects our company philosophy and the customers that we serve.

This training was also timely in that we have a current employee that is transitioning their gender. Our friend and colleague, [me], [position] in [department], will be returning to work on January 3, 2011 with a new name, gender presentation, and pronoun. As part of the gender transition process, this (our?) employee's new name going forward has been officially changed to Angel [last name], and she will be dressing, altering her voice, and otherwise presenting and legally identifying as a female. Angel would appreciate everyone's efforts in ensuring that we refer to her as female. We understand this will be a process, but we appreciate your efforts to this end. Angel is prepared to answer questions about this matter openly, but we request that employees not let this matter become the subject of casual discussion, gossip, or humor in the office.

[company] is deeply committed to supporting Angel at this important time of change, and we trust that all company employees will treat her with sensitivity and respect. [Company] will not tolerate discrimination or mistreatment of any sort, and as a reminder our policies regarding employee behavior and or harassment are clearly stated in our Personnel Policy.

If you have further questions please contact your supervisor or Human Resources. If you are interested in further information regarding transgender employees, see the attached documents, which provide some helpful context. We would be happy to direct you to additional resources as well.

Best Regards,

-----------------------------------------

SherriePall
01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Angel Marie -- Congratulations on your transitioning at work. I hope that all continues to go smoothly for you on this journey.

StaceyJane
01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm very happy for you.

Persephone
01-03-2011, 01:51 PM
That is so awesome, Angel! Wonderful!

Please do keep us updated.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Madilyn A.
01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Angel, what an inspiration you are ! Congratulations for becoming who you have always been !

Kelly DeWinter
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
what a wonderful story ! huggs

pamela_a
01-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Awesome Angel, Congratulations. It's a big day. Welcome to your new life. :hugs:

Rianna Humble
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Angel,

Wonderful preparation and a pretty good letter from the president. Congratulations on being the change you wanted to see.

It just feels so good to transition in place, doesn't it? I hope you're prepared for the way that you will be included in things by your female colleagues as of right from now on.

As a point of information, when I transitioned at work we agreed to have a small team working together on this (me, someone from HR, my team leader & my manager) and we review progress at roughly 3 monthly intervals. So far there has been nothing negative to bring up in the review meetings.

After all the hard work you have put into preparing, I am sure your transition at work will go equally smoothly. Welcome to the rest of your life :bighug:

Jorja
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Congratulations on your transitioning at work, Angel Marie. I am so happy for you. Now the fun begins.

Starling
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Congratulations, Angel. What a way to start a new decade!

:) Lallie

Tomara
01-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Angel Marie,
Congratulations on entering a new chapter in your life , I wish you all the best in your transition and hope that you continue to grow as the person you know you are.
What a great way to start the new year !
Tomara

AllieSF
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
What a wonderful thread and presentation. Thank you so much for sharing it and the letter to the employees. Good luck in the New Year, which seems to have started out very positively for you and your company.

Faith_G
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
That is soo beautiful! <cries> Your company has been amazing. I'm sure you have thanked them many times already, but in couple months please go talk to the people most responsible and thank them again. They will appreciate that you remember what they did, and they will see that it was worth supporting you when they see you still glowing with happiness.

I agree with you, Angel: Courage!

Angel.Marie76
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Today my company posted a marked up copy of the Personnel Manual on the internal intranet, and stated that the final copy had already been ratified and put into production.. And why am I telling you this?

Because! They added 'Gender Identity' into the anti-harassment sections!! They also added in whole sections on Domestic Partnerships, clauses for family medical leave, and general family related references where they removed the gender-specific terminology and used non-specific references where possible. Where they couldn't just do a word-for word swap (striking he/she, him/her, husband/wife, mother/father, etc) they rewrote whole sections to accommodate gender non-specific content. Based on my interpretation, they're extending many rights to any partner of an employee, even if they are not married (with relative track record of long term relationship, and so on. Also, apparently, though not that I'm planning to, but I could take maternity leave, essentially, if I chose to adopt a child.

So, yeah, just flooring I say. Had a coworker stop me as I was walking into the building this morning, and as she was congratulating me on my transition, she damn near started crying in front of me.. I looked at her and jokingly said, 'Oh, hun, I finally KNOW how that feels, to want to cry at the drop of a hat about everything!' we both laughed, HUGGED, and went our ways. Talk about acceptance! Pardon me while I get some bandaids, I hurt my jaw after it's hit the floor this many times.

Zoie
01-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Congratulations and we are all proud of you! :)

MichelleP
01-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Angel, your story is soooo inspiring. You bring a lot of courage to others by way of example, hun (I know 'cause I'm like the head of the coward list). Bless you...

Rianna Humble
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
What a great company to work for! I'm so glad that it is going so well for you - you are an ecouragement to all of us! :bighug:

amielts
01-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Congratulations for this significant step in your journey, and good luck for the rest of it!